1 name and 3 middle names?

If I understand this correctly, why not make [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] his first name, like a hyphenated name like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u], and then just have [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m] as the 2 middle names?

Like some previous posters mentioned, it’s frustrating that US forms don’t use punctuation, so the commas wouldn’t even be recognized even if you did add them. Also, on unofficial forms like insurance papers, etc…they’ll probably only recognize one middle name or one letter. So, the name would be [name_u]Finn[/name_u] A. Lastname or [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] H. Lastname if you decided to use [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] as the first name.

I had to learn the hard way naming my daughter with two middle names. Otherwise, I see no problem with you using all of the names you would like. They are very handsome names!

I don’t think you would need three middle names on the certificate actually but you could still say that is the first name. I have a friend with his name and middle name, as he is the fifth, but he says his full name with another 4 middle names!! His mother liked those names. It is a bit ridiculous but people think it is quite cool, and if it gets to be too much he just goes by the original name.

I would name him [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] because I think that sounds nice, and call him [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] OR [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]Charles[/name_m] Or just [name_u]Finn[/name_u] [name_m]Augustus[/name_m].

Honestly, I think that what is on the birth certificate is not as important as the fact that you are honoring family members as well as naming him what you like.

Sorry if this is hard to follow… I just think it is important to name him what you feel is right and not worry about it being confusing. but I would not use commas!! [name_m]Just[/name_m] name him that full out

Hello berries,
I have a new question for you.

Thanks for all your comments! I appreciate it!

Nobody for this combo?

I don’t see the issue, at all. Once you give 2 middle names, you’re already set for picking a single one to use on forms, etc. so there’s no reason you can’t have as many as you want. I wouldn’t think it strange or too much at all. And, it’s important to you so don’t worry.

[name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] is fine. I’d probably prefer [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] for flow but if [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Archibald[/name_m] are just formal honors, then yeah. It works.

I totally agree with alexandramae - only one middle fits on most forms and ID so what’s the difference between 2 and 3 middles?

I think it’s great to honour your family like that. Most forms won’t have space for all three so I wouldn’t even worry about doing initials for the last two. As long as your not expecting him to use all three and just want them on the birth certificate, I don’t really think it’s a burden, more of a nice traditional gesture or respect for your family members. And hey–it gives him more options if he ever decides he wants to go by something else!

Thanks everyone!
I’m so happy to read it doesn’t look weird :slight_smile:

@golosa: I would not expect him to use all of them, not at all. He would probably use [name_u]Elliott[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]… (His “personal” middle name) Or the one he wants :wink: