1 week to due date - need some suggestions!

[name]Hi[/name] all! We are expecting our wee girl on [name]November[/name] 11th - Remembrance [name]Day[/name] - and DH and I are still wobbling on names. We both have names we like, but nothing feels “right”. DH wants to go with the “bring a list to the hospital” formula, but I’d feel more reassured with something a little more solid in mind.

So, that said, here are our caveats:

1. the middle name is decided on: [name]Verity[/name]
  2. the first name will be Irish (of the hardcore, mind-boggling spelling variety). My phd is in Irish history, so this is non-negotiable for me.
  3. our last name is hyphenated: very similar to “[name]Grant[/name]-McKay”

On our list so far:
[name]Aoibheann[/name] (“EE-van”) - my favourite - I actually called baby this for 5 months before Dh vetoed it - he dislikes it, even if using [name]Evie[/name] or [name]Eva[/name] ([name]Aoibhe[/name]) as a nickname

[name]Saoirse[/name] (“SEER-sha”) - we both love, but has been mutually vetoed because of its thorny political connotations

[name]Sorcha[/name] (“SOR-ha”) - means “clarity”, which creates the meaning “clear truth” with [name]Verity[/name]. ALso, has some of the same sounds as
[name]Saoirse[/name], without the baggage

Saorlaith (“SAIR-la”) - again, picking up on the sounds in [name]Saoirse[/name]. DH is drawn to “S”-names in general,

Laoise ("[name]LEE[/name]-sha") - similar ending to [name]Saoirse[/name], and incorporates DH’s brother, [name]Lee[/name]. I worry it will lose its personality by being confused with [name]Lisa[/name] and [name]Alicia[/name].

Eibhleann (“AYV-lan” - the closest compromise to [name]Aoibheann[/name] - but worry it sounds like the too trendy “Avelynn”

We both like [name]Niamh[/name] and [name]Caoimhe[/name], but the “V” sound blends in too much with [name]Verity[/name].

So…any suggestions or thoughts? I’d especially welcome any obscure Irish names that flow well with our mn & ln. Like I said, we’re down to the wire on this one, and some reassurances would help so much!

So, that said, here are our caveats:

1. the middle name is decided on: [name]Verity[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it!
  2. the first name will be Irish (of the hardcore, mind-boggling spelling variety). My phd is in Irish history, so this is non-negotiable for me.
  3. our last name is hyphenated: very similar to “[name]Grant[/name]-McKay”

I don’t know as much as you do about Irish names, so I will just think about how the name looks and sounds.

On our list so far:
[name]Aoibheann[/name] (“EE-van”) - my favourite - I actually called baby this for 5 months before Dh vetoed it - he dislikes it, even if using [name]Evie[/name] or [name]Eva[/name] ([name]Aoibhe[/name]) as a nickname - I love the sound of it. I wouldn’t want to have to spell it all the time.

[name]Saoirse[/name] (“SEER-sha”) - we both love, but has been mutually vetoed because of its thorny political connotations - Since I live in [name]California[/name], I don’t know what the political connotations are.

[name]Sorcha[/name] (“SOR-ha”) - means “clarity”, which creates the meaning “clear truth” with [name]Verity[/name]. ALso, has some of the same sounds as
[name]Saoirse[/name], without the baggage - This is pretty sounding and easy to spell, so I love it!

Saorlaith (“SAIR-la”) - again, picking up on the sounds in [name]Saoirse[/name]. DH is drawn to “S”-names in general, - lovely sound, interesting spelling, not as easy to spell as [name]Saoirse[/name].

Laoise ("[name]LEE[/name]-sha") - similar ending to [name]Saoirse[/name], and incorporates DH’s brother, [name]Lee[/name]. I worry it will lose its personality by being confused with [name]Lisa[/name] and [name]Alicia[/name]. - Yes, I agree that it sounds very similar to [name]Lisa[/name] and [name]Alicia[/name].

Eibhleann (“AYV-lan” - the closest compromise to [name]Aoibheann[/name] - but worry it sounds like the too trendy “Avelynn” - I wouldn’t know.

We both like [name]Niamh[/name] and [name]Caoimhe[/name], but the “V” sound blends in too much with [name]Verity[/name]. - Yes, that would be a problem.

So…any suggestions or thoughts? I’d especially welcome any obscure Irish names that flow well with our mn & ln. Like I said, we’re down to the wire on this one, and some reassurances would help so much!

I love
[name]Clodagh[/name] - but I wouldn’t know if it’s cool.
I’m sorry, I don’t know what else to suggest. If you think of more, I could talk about how they sound.
There are a lot of Celtic names that I love in a book, but I don’t know if they’re Irish, Welsh, or Scottish. Let me know if you want me to list them for you.

My favourite Irish names for a wee girl is [name]Roisin[/name] which was the obvious first thought for me…
I also love [name]Siobhan[/name], but you have the v-sound blending with [name]Verity[/name] again, so I guess no…
[name]Orla[/name] (or whichever of the complicated spellings is the original) is also wonderfully pretty!
[name]Orla[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Roisin[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Both[/name] sound very good to me!

I also really love [name]Eithne[/name], mostly for her fiery meaning, and maybe she’d be a good replacement for [name]Sorcha[/name] since fire often represents purity which would get a ‘pure truth’ meaning ^^

I don’t know too many obscure Irish names, my expertise lies in Scandinavian names ^^
I did check the blog for Irish names, and here’s what I got:
[name]Ailbhe[/name]
[name]Aoife[/name]
[name]Blathnaid[/name]
[name]Eabha[/name]
[name]Clodagh[/name]

[name]Eabha[/name] and [name]Aoife[/name] might me too close to [name]Ava[/name] though? At least that’s my thought from the pronunciation help I found…

Good luck agreeing!

[name]Hi[/name] there, think [name]Verity[/name] is a lovely name.

Well [name]Aoibheann[/name] to me is pronounced as [name]Aveen[/name] and [name]Sorcha[/name] can either be Sor-ic-ca or Sore- sha.

I’m not too keen on some of them but here’s a few that came to mind that I think are quite lovely with [name]Verity[/name] and your surname, hope it helps:)

[name]Aoife[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
Aven [name]Verity[/name]* (fair radiance also)
[name]Caitlyn[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (pure)
[name]Ciara[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Cliona[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (pronounce Clean- na)
[name]Eavan[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (evan)
[name]Finola[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (fin-ola)
[name]Nola[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (too many v sounds maybe)
[name]Muriel[/name] [name]Verity[/name]
[name]Noreen[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (Norr-ian)
[name]Nuala[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (New-la)
[name]Oona[/name]/ [name]Una[/name]/ [name]Oonagh[/name] [name]Verity[/name]* (all pronounced ooh-na)
[name]Riona[/name] [name]Verity[/name]* ([name]Ree[/name]-ona)
[name]Sinead[/name] [name]Verity[/name] (shin- naid)
Siofra [name]Verity[/name] (she-fra)
[name]Tara[/name] [name]Verity[/name]

“[name]Sorcha[/name] (“SOR-ha”) - means “clarity”, which creates the meaning “clear truth” with [name]Verity[/name].”

Of your original list I would pick [name]Sorcha[/name] because, as you pointed out, it has some of the sounds you are drawn to yet fewer pronunciation and spelling issues. It’s also not too long with your hyphenated last name, none too brief either, and goes well with [name]Verity[/name]. I like some of the other more traditional suggestions like [name]Finola[/name], [name]Muriel[/name] but am guessing those aren’t unusual enough for you.

A few ideas, just in case you are still looking,
[name]Sabina[/name]
[name]Riona[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]/[name]Tuilelaith[/name]
[name]Tanith[/name]
[name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Decia[/name]
[name]Eithne[/name] (ET na); (EN ya)/ Ethenia (eh THEE nee ah)
[name]Finella[/name]/ Fionuala
[name]Imogen[/name]
Liadan ([name]LEE[/name] dan) (accent on the a)
[name]Mairead[/name] (MAH raid)
Muireann (moo eer ahn)
[name]Nolana[/name]
[name]Seanan[/name] ([name]SHAY[/name] nahn) (accent on the a)
[name]Saraid[/name] (sor id)

Good luck!

You have stumped me when I think of Irish names the most unusual one I know of is [name]Siobahn[/name], and it is lovely, otherwise for me it is a bunch of Kathleens, Colleens and [name]Marys[/name].

Thanks to all for the suggestions - many were on our long list, which we might have to go back to if nothing “sticks” upon her arrival!

@aklein - thanks for the advice re: pronunciations. I think the problem is my lack of skill with phonetic spelling - I share an offie with a fluent Irish speaker (she’s an instructor, actually), so I’ve got the pronunciation right in my head, just not on paper. The “ch” in [name]Sorcha[/name] is especially tricky to convey. As far as I know, [name]Aoibheann[/name] is always said with a long “E”, as is the Anglicized form [name]Eavan[/name]. But this is based on the Ulster dialect, which can vary from southern ones.

We considered [name]Roisin[/name], as [name]Rose[/name] is a traditional name for DH’s family, but our actual last name is very “R” heavy, as is [name]Verity[/name], so ultimately it didn’t flow. So [name]Riona[/name] is out as well.

We’re not fussy about the long, complicated spellings - in the case of [name]Sorcha[/name] it’s simplicity is just a bonus.

[name]Sinead[/name] was also a consideration - it’s the Irish form of my mom’s name, [name]Janet[/name]. I like the idea of Seanait, an unrelated name meaning “little hawk” which is pronounced very like [name]Janet[/name]. DH and I know too many [name]Sinead[/name]'s and [name]Siobhan[/name]'s [name]IRL[/name], and [name]Aoife[/name] is lovely but has been “claimed” already by a friend.

Siofra and Siomha have also been tossed around, but feel a little “light-weight” to me, despite their lovely meanings. Kind of in line with [name]Sheena[/name], [name]Shayna[/name], and [name]Shayla[/name] IYKWIM. Of course, DH really like s those. NMS, however.

So we’re working with a lot of constraints - which makes me appreciate everyone’s help so much more!

Final question (and thanks for indulging a long post): of the following, which work, in your opinion?

[name]Sorcha[/name]
Seanait
Saorlaith

[name]Aoibheann[/name]
Ceibhionn ("[name]KAY[/name]-vin")
Eadaoin / Etain (“AY-deen” or “ee-[name]DAYN[/name]”) - variations of the same name.

Of the names you just posted, my favorites are:

[name]Sorcha[/name] [name]Verity[/name] [name]Grant[/name]-McKay
Saorlaith [name]Verity[/name] [name]Grant[/name]-McKay

And out of those two, my first choice is Saorlaith.

However, I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Aislinn[/name] and think that [name]Aislinn[/name] [name]Verity[/name] [name]Grant[/name]-McKay is absolutely beautiful!! That would be my pick hands down if it were in the running.

Saorlaith is gorgeous!

I love [name]Sorcha[/name]. It would fit a lady of any age. It seems like a name for a beautiful, independent woman.

I really don’t mean to be rude, but why must you use one of the obscure Irish spellings? Why isn’t the name being of Irish origin enough? I personally feel like naming a child a name like that, in which she will constantly be forced to spell and pronounce her name for people, is not a good plan, but this may be just my opinion. I suppose if you are in [name]Ireland[/name], it is a different story and people will know how to pronounce these names.

That being said, I think an Irish name like [name]Deirdre[/name], [name]Finola[/name], [name]Muriel[/name], [name]Nola[/name], [name]Rosaleen[/name], or Siofra would be beautiful with [name]Verity[/name] as the middle name and would provide your daughter with a definite Irish name that might be a bit easier to live with. My favorites [name]Nola[/name] [name]Verity[/name] and [name]Rosaleen[/name] [name]Verity[/name]. Obviously, you said that this was non-negotiable earlier, so I won’t expect you to change your mind. I just thought I’d offer another opinion…

(PS [name]Raquel[/name], how is your name search coming? Made any decisions?)

I admire you for sticking to the traditional spellings - I luurve Irish names, they’re so beautiful, but in the U.S. they’d be mercilessly butchered and yet, if you simplify the spelling the names never feel as special.

I do love [name]Saoirse[/name], but if you feel you can’t use it then I think Saorlaith is a pretty alternative.

I agree that Saorlaith is a lovely choice (as is [name]Sorcha[/name]). But from first reading your post yesterday, the one that’s stuck with me the most is Laoise. I agree that it may be confused with [name]Lisa[/name] or [name]Alicia[/name], but I just think it is such a pretty name!

[name]Lemon[/name], I do appreciate your position, but this is where we’re coming from: my Phd is in Irish [name]History[/name], and therefore the issue of authenticity is important to me. I spent 7 years in Belfast, using an Anglicized spelling would be as confusing to my Irish friends as the Irish spelling would be here in [name]Canada[/name]. On a practical level, it also means our daughter will spend most of her childhood surrounded by esoteric Irish academics, so it’s really not something we see as a problem. [name]How[/name] can Saorlaith or [name]Aoibheann[/name] possibly be worse than Mykkynzi? At least in the case of the former, the names have a centuries-old lineage and the weight of history behind them - and that’s what’s important to us.

I think at this point my “delivery room list” would be [name]Sorcha[/name], Saorlaith, and Laoise.

DH is of the opinion that we should each have 3 choices to campaign for once she’s arrived and we can see what suits her best. Of course, he won’t tell me what his are - which makes me think he’s still deciding!

Thanks all of you for the suggestions, comments, and recommendations. [name]Feel[/name] free to add more if you have inspiration, and hopefully in the next week I’ll have an update for you all on the final choice!

[name]Lemon[/name] - thanks for asking. No, no decisions yet. Hubby is still looking when I thought the looking part was over! He mentioned [name]Cali[/name] and [name]Haley[/name] - well his sister is naming her baby [name]Haley[/name], and just [name]Cali[/name] doesn’t do it for me.

PunkPrincess - I still love [name]Sorcha[/name]! Please keep us posted.

I think that [name]Sorcha[/name], Saorlaith, and Laoise are really lovely choices, and, even though it may not be my cup of tea, I’m glad that you stuck to your guns and are naming your daughter a name you think it beautiful and significant. I, too, think [name]Sorcha[/name] [name]Verity[/name] is absolutely stunning! Best of luck to you, your husband, and your little baby girl (who will be here quite soon)!

And, [name]Raquel[/name], I think you made the right decision on [name]Hayley[/name] and [name]Cali[/name]. After all, who names their child after an abbreviation for a state name? Ha! I love hearing your husband’s choices!

I saw that one poster suggested different pn for some of the names. And I know that you said that you had a friend who knows the correct pn of the names. But I just thought I’d suggest a website that has the pn of a bunch of Irish names. They have the name, the meaning, and then a man giving the pn of the name.

Thanks [name]Lemon[/name]! Lol - I know - he’s just trying to have a “cool” and contemporary name for her. I said we could do a nn w/ [name]Cali[/name], but not as a name. And he had no idea that his sister was naming their daughter [name]Haley[/name] (spelled [name]Haileigh[/name]). Apparently I talk to her more about those things.

This is my first time posting here, but I loved this topic so I had to post. I live in [name]Clare[/name] and it is so important to me that my future children all have Irish names, though I intend to move back to the US. Personally I feel really strongly about having Irish names that are spelled properly- what is the point otherwise? Yes, they may be hard to pronounce for non-Irish people, but I’m sure people will appreciate the rich history of the names. So you can tell that I loved reading your name options for your new baby. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I love all of the choices that you mentioned. They’re all strong Irish names that I have admired. Laoise is my favorite out of your delivery room choices- such a beautiful name. [name]Sorcha[/name] is my second favorite, very close behind. The one thing I noticed is the name Seanait- it reminds me of the Seanad, just in spelling. I have never heard it said so it may sound really different out loud. I’m studying law so I hear lots about the Dail and Seanad daily, maybe that’s why I’m so picky about it.

I can’t wait to hear what you decide!
[name]Deirdre[/name]