10 Baby Names I Love But Won't be Using

You probably already know what this is because of Youtube. [name_m]Just[/name_m] put 10 baby names and why you can’t/won’t use.

Girls

1. [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] (last name is [name_u]Gray[/name_u] “[name_u]Grey[/name_u]'s Anatomy”)
  2. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (I really don’t like Madelynn
  3. [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]/[name_f]Coraline[/name_f] (^^^)
  4. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] (I don’t like the nickname [name_f]Addy[/name_f])
  5. [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] (My [name_m]Boss[/name_m]’ name is [name_f]Susan[/name_f]

Boys
  6. [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] (same reason as girls)
  7. [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] (DH doesn’t like it)
  8. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] (my maiden name is [name_m]Johnson[/name_m])
  9. [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] (Neighbor’s name)
  10. [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] (cousin’s name)

girls:
[name_u]Genesis[/name_u]
[name_f]Francesca[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_f]Saffron[/name_f]

boys:
[name_m]Ajax[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Madden[/name_m]
[name_m]Crosby[/name_m]
[name_u]Murphy[/name_u]

1. [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] (I dislike [name_f]Tina[/name_f] as a possible NN, Also seems too long to go with Partners LN)

2. [name_f]Willow[/name_f] (Partners LN ends in -no, rhymes)

3. [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] (I have a cousin named [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f])

4. [name_f]Aisling[/name_f] (Pronounced [name_u]Ash[/name_u]-lyn, have a sister-in-law names [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f])

5. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] (Partners LN begins with C)

6. [name_u]Theo[/name_u] (Partners nephew’s name)

7. [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] (Brothers reserved name for boy, 2 girls in)

8. [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] (Partners best friend’s name)

9. [name_m]Maxwell[/name_m] (Sounds a little too posh)

10. [name_m]Brody[/name_m] (Partner dislikes)

Girls

1. [name_f]Fatima[/name_f] - afraid of “Fat” jokes
  2. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] - I have a hard time pronouncing it
  3. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] - I like the way it looks but not the way it sounds
  4. [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] - my hair is very dark, so I doubt my daughter’s will be blonde
  5. [name_u]Riley[/name_u] - my cousin’s daughter’s name

Boys

1. [name_m]Anakin[/name_m] - too connected to [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars
  2. [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m] - my ex’s name
  3. [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] - too trendy
  4. [name_m]Santiago[/name_m] - Impractical Jokers: “[name_m]Santiago[/name_m] sent me”; I can’t take the name seriously anymore
  5. [name_u]Walker[/name_u] - former friend’s last name

GIris:
[name_f]Elvira[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Roseanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Catrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]

Boys:
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Marshall[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Austin[/name_m]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m]

Girls:
[name_f]Annistyn[/name_f] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t want the nickname [name_f]Annie[/name_f] to come up
[name_f]Andie[/name_f] - Too close to my name
[name_u]Reese[/name_u] - Know one already, maybe a middle name?
[name_u]Elliott[/name_u] - Know one already, boy & girl
Rizlee - Sounds like “grizzly bear” more & more to me

Boys:
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m] - Becoming too common for me
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] - Know one already
[name_m]Austin[/name_m] - Know a dog with the same name
[name_m]Colton[/name_m] - Being used for my cousin’s future baby
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] - [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t want the nickname “[name_m]Wild[/name_m]”

Girls:

[name_f]Laura[/name_f] - I know a person named this
[name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] - Firstname of my sisters childhood bully, so I can’t use it and she can’t use the name [name_f]Elina[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] - Name of my cousin
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] - Name of a person I know
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] - My nephews bonus sister’s name

Boys:

[name_m]Alvin[/name_m] - Name of my cousin
[name_u]Elias[/name_u] - Name of my cousin
[name_u]Andy[/name_u] - Nickname of my cousin [name_m]Anders[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] - best friends brothers name
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] - Name of my ex

oh my gosh, I love this thread!

Girls

1. [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]: I want to use ‘[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]’ for her sister and I don’t want the [name_u]Royal[/name_u] Family theme to be too strong
  2. Blanchefleur: everyone would think I was insane, including my daughter
  3. [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]: my sister’s name
  4. [name_f]Vienna[/name_f]: don’t want people to think it’s a reference to where she was conceived
    5: Karenina: too ‘out there’, and I hate the nickname [name_f]Karen[/name_f]

Boys

1. [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]: my cousin’s name
  2. [name_m]Hylton[/name_m]: the association with [name_m]Hilton[/name_m] hotels is too strong
  3. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]: my mum hates the name
  4. Saatchi: too ‘out there’ and also don’t like the association with [name_m]Charles[/name_m] Saatchi
  5. [name_m]Luke[/name_m]: goes terribly with DH’s surname

Girls:

[name_f]Esperanza[/name_f]- too similar to our last name
[name_f]Valentina[/name_f]- my husband is Mexican, and we use [name_f]Valentina[/name_f] hot sauce
[name_f]Gabriella[/name_f]- an ex named his daughter this
[name_f]Nayeli[/name_f]- too similar to [name_f]Noemi[/name_f]
[name_f]Yesenia[/name_f]- [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t want it shortened to Yesi ([name_u]Jesse[/name_u]) because my brother [name_u]Jesse[/name_u] is currently dating a [name_u]Jessy[/name_u] ([name_f]Jessica[/name_f]). Its just too confusing.

[name_m]Alejandro[/name_m]- husband’s brother’s name
[name_m]Vicente[/name_m]- brother is [name_u]Vinny[/name_u]
[name_m]Enrique[/name_m]- maybe in the future, but the current president of Mexico is named [name_m]Enrique[/name_m] and everyone in Mexico hates him
[name_m]Romeo[/name_m]- love how it is pronounced in Spanish, but everyone would bring up the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] thing
[name_m]Daniel[/name_m]- nephew’s name

1. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

2. [name_f]Lilith[/name_f]

3. [name_f]Margot[/name_f]

4. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]

5. [name_f]Isis[/name_f] (this was my favorite name for years)

6. [name_m]Raphael[/name_m]

7. [name_m]Silas[/name_m]

8. [name_m]Joel[/name_m]

9. [name_m]Duncan[/name_m]

10. [name_m]Jack[/name_m]

Girls
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] - I think this is so pretty but it would inevitably get shortened to [name_f]Evie[/name_f] which I don’t like.
[name_f]Clover[/name_f] - This is one of my favourite names but is unfortunately a margarine brand in the UK.
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] this but think it’s probably a bit too much for someone to grow up with, also my niece has a bird name.
[name_f]Cherry[/name_f] - I like this as an alternative to names like [name_f]Poppy[/name_f]/[name_f]Lilly[/name_f] that are very popular, but could be too stripper-ish?
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it but… the car?

Boys
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] - I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] this on a boy, but it’s popularity for girls right now makes it too risky.
[name_u]Kit[/name_u] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] this for a boy, but I have a niece called [name_u]Kit[/name_u]/[name_f]Kitty[/name_f].
[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u]- [name_u]Love[/name_u] the nn Zeph as a cool alternative to [name_u]Seth[/name_u], but couldn’t realistically burden a child with it.
[name_m]Rockwell[/name_m] - Think this is a really cool name for the nickname [name_m]Rocco[/name_m], but just not brave enough.
[name_f]Indie[/name_f] - I think this is really cute on a boy, but it feels like it needs a longer version and I don’t like [name_u]Indiana[/name_u] or [name_u]Indigo[/name_u].

Girls:
[name_f]Aliena[/name_f] - I love how it sounds (allie-AY-na), but someone pointed out that it looks like Alien-a.
[name_f]Brenna[/name_f] - My niece’s name
[name_f]Jemima[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u] it, but it’s still iffy in the U.S.
[name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Layla[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], etc. - Anything beginning with L sounds terrible with my SO’s last name
[name_f]Susanna[/name_f] - There are too many -anna names in my family. My grandmother just calls everyone “sis”

Boys
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] - My SO insists on the MN [name_m]Edward[/name_m], his GF’s name
[name_m]Jack[/name_m] - My brother’s ex-wife is named [name_u]Jackie[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u] - My nephew’s name
[name_m]Levi[/name_m] - My cousin named his son this, besides, it starts with an L which is not good with SO’s last name
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] - Begins with L

My SO has vetoed all of these names which I love

[name_f]Honey[/name_f]
[name_u]Echo[/name_u]
[name_f]Maple[/name_f]
[name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Moon[/name_f]
[name_m]Baker[/name_m]
[name_m]Bear[/name_m]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]

Girls:
[name_f]Persephone[/name_f] - SUCH a guilty pleasure of mine - wouldn’t use cos of length
[name_f]Maisy[/name_f] - such a sweet name but I don’t think it’s good to grow with
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - way too popular at the moment and my cousin just named her baby this!
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - another cousin named her baby [name_f]Luna[/name_f]… :frowning:
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f] - “hey there [name_f]Delilah[/name_f] what’s it like in new york city…”

Boys:
[name_m]Nicolas[/name_m] - I’ve loved this name forever - I recommended it to my mum before we knew the gender of my sister! She said it sounds like “knicker-less” … ruined it forever
[name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] - way too trendy to fit in with the rest of the traditional-type names I like, also my sister is [name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] - love it but my partner says it’s way too ‘religious’
[name_m]Silas[/name_m] - loved it until I had an alcoholic flatmate with the name who left vomit moulding on the floor in his room :frowning:
[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] - too clunky but still such a gorgeous name

Girls

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] - it’s become too popular since [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], which is sad because it’s been a favourite name of mine since I was quite small

[name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] - I adore it but don’t like any nicknames and it doesn’t work as a middle for any of my other loves

[name_u]Avery[/name_u] - similar to [name_f]Luna[/name_f], too popular thanks to celeb usage (as is [name_f]Ava[/name_f], the nickname I’d want to use)

[name_f]Hester[/name_f] - another big love of mine but too many folks have said they find it too dusty for a wee bairn, additionally went to uni with a [name_f]Hettie[/name_f] so that nickname’s out

[name_f]Caoimhe[/name_f] - I can’t make it work with any middles and I just know my brother would have something to say about the spelling because we differ in opinion on Gaelic traditions

Boys

[name_m]Caradoc[/name_m] - doesn’t work flow-wise in any middle spot & he’d likely get bullied with it as a first, even if I could find a nickname I liked for him

[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] - despite loving it, I cannot separate this one from my associations with it as a classic American name that feels a bit out of place in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] (same with [name_u]August[/name_u] tbqh)

[name_m]Ossian[/name_m] - my best friend introduced me to it when she mentioned it as her planned name for a future kid so it’d be super bad form to use it

[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] - no nicknames that don’t sound like Tories

[name_m]Albus[/name_m] - [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] again, as per