100% Nickname

Although I agree with you that a name change is always possible, it has now taken me three months to change my name legally on everything it needs to be done on, and it isn’t finished yet. This is anecdotal, of course, and the pandemic has slowed things down, but the process is more complicated than a day, at least where I live.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. I love my new name and I am so happy with it. But the process has been a lot so I’m hesitant to say it’s that easy.

@itsjustjack - I like your username!
[name_f]My[/name_f] gosh, 3 mo! [name_f]Wonder[/name_f] if it’s more about the delay/staffing/backlog due in large part to pandemic? [name_f]May[/name_f] I ask which country/state you’re in? On the east coast US, pre-pandemic times, I was able to do a name change, more than once, in less than a day’s time (e.g. 3 two-hour appointments). Maybe “a day’s worth of time, pre-pandemic” would have been more accurate. I certainly didn’t spend more than 8-10 hrs on the process! Wishing you a speedy resolution to your name change !

1 Like

Thank you! I’m on the [name_u]West[/name_u] Coast, U.S. and I’m sure a lot of the slow down has had to do with the pandemic. A day’s worth of time definitely does seem about right.

I would do a long name by just because you put never know what they’ll like as they get older. Everyone may call her [name_f]Liz[/name_f] but later on she may want to go by a different nn like [name_f]Beth[/name_f] or [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or just the full [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. I have a name that has a really obvious nickname and I HATE it, I’ve been called it once and it stopped in the second it was said as I much prefer my full name. I think giving them a more formal name give some them a little more freedom as to what they can go by.

It’d depend? I might not have a nickname in mind but I would go for a longer option as I just don’t really like nickname names? I just prefer the idea of giving my child options