1st birthday

Hey momberries! So I don’t know why I am thinking of this now because [name_f]Bria[/name_f]’s first birthday isn’t for quite some time, but I guess I am getting ahead start.:joy: What are your thoughts on having a big blowout for their first birthdays? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you go ahead and do it because it’s their first? Then again they are turning one and won’t remember.:joy: Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!:heart:

Well for my daughter we had a small family get together with a cake and some decor!
We didn’t want to overwhelm her and she won’t remember it.

1 Like

I got so confused when I saw this was from you because I was like “I swear [name_f]Bria[/name_f] was just born recently” :joy: but I see now! I guess I have no input here because I’m a high school senior with no kids haha. I think it isn’t super necessary to have a huge blow out for the first birthday though, as she won’t remember it at all.

5 Likes

hahaha :joy: But yeah that’s what I think! I mean they’re so tiny! Some family & friends will do! lol And i’m going to do the same for when my twins turn one!

2 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot you just had twins! Seems like so long ago but it really wasn’t

1 Like

right?! There not even a month old yet :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Aww so cute

2 Likes

Aww, congratulations!:heart:

1 Like

Thank you!!!:heart:

1 Like

I think a big first birthday is the way to go because you’re not only celebrating your baby’s life, but also your survival through all the stages and crazy that comes with a newborn. It’s a family celebration. :blush:

6 Likes

Honestly, the first birthday party (and really, every birthday until the kid is about 4) is about the parents celebrating, not the child. So if you want to throw a big party to celebrate making it through that first year, go for it. If you’d rather have a small, immediate family only party, go for that too. Whatever makes you happy.

With our oldest, we threw a big 1st birthday party with a rainbow and unicorns theme and the guest list consisted of our family and friends at the time, meaning that there were only two children in attendance. Our one year old and the six month old baby of a friend. LOL. But whatever, we were excited and it was fun. With our second, we just did cake at the playground with grandparents and some friends whose daughter was friends with our oldest. Also fun. Our third will be turning 1 in the fall and if things are back to normal by then, we might do a big party just because we won’t have had anyone over to the house in over a year ([name_u]Or[/name_u] we might be tired out from running around after three kids and just stick a candle in a cupcake and call it a day).

So yeah, while your baby won’t remember their first birthday, you will so do whatever will be the most enjoyable for you, whether that be a low key celebration or a blow out bash.

7 Likes

I agree with @_thelittlefairywren the big 1 year party is for the family, not really the child. I don’t see us doing something huge, but definitely including our parents and siblings in the celebration and maybe a few friends as well.

3 Likes

With my first I really wanted to do a big first birthday party. I had the theme planned the set up, the guest list which included all the mommy and me group kids etc etc. but then long story short it couldn’t end up working out. Super bummed about it initially but then some thoughts and a new plan occurred…

They are one… they can get way more overwhelmed with something that you wouldn’t even bat an eye at (you’ll notice this during the holidays as well). The likely overwhelmed, exhausted, cranky baby wasn’t necessarily that alluring to me.

They are one… they won’t remember! This would be a party entirely for you not them.

My husband and I, to make up for the no party, ended up planning a family birthday “outing” that we broke up into two days to make it easier and more enjoyable for our little guy. One day we took him out to eat. The next day we took him to a wildlife zoo. It was just the three of us.

This ended up being so much fun it has somewhat become the staple for our birthday celebrations for our kids now (with them having more say in the choices for outing and restaurants as they get older.) They’re still young, the oldest is currently 4. So at some point a party would be nice to plan when they’re older but for now were liking our alternative.

2 Likes

I never had a big party for my sons’ first birthdays (or any other birthday). [name_f]My[/name_f] oldest hates loud noises and places with many people around, he has done since he was born really. So having a big party for him was never an option. And my second son turned one during the pandemic, so no big party for him. I didn’t even mind.
I might have a bigger party when my twins turn one year old though, assuming things will be back to normal by then. Because most of my family and friends haven’t even met them, and it would be a great opportunity to see them and bring some people together.

1 Like

the street i grew up on had a lot of kids my age, so for my sister’s birthday (2.5 years younger than me) my parents had a garden party which was basically just for me to play with the other kids. for my first birthday, it was just a small family thing (partly because i was born in winter so the garden was off limits anyway). i really can’t see myself making a big deal out of a first birthday when i eventually have kids, i’d probably do something similar to what my parents did.

1 Like

The first birthday is definitely a bigger deal to the family than to the child haha! There’s nothing wrong with going all out if that’s what you want to do! We did a medium-sized party. We had just immediate family over and did a [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh theme. We didn’t go over the top with the theme. We had cupcakes with yellow frosting and red and yellow plates and like one [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh banner. We were going to get [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] the Pooh balloons, but right before her party, we discovered DD was terrified of balloons. And instead of a smash cake, we did cupcakes so she could still have the experience without spending so much money on a cake that’s meant to be destroyed. She ended up just picking at the frosting and licking it anyways, so I was glad we went the route. She had a great time and wasn’t overwhelmed at all!

2 Likes

I guess it depends on your style, what makes you and your family happy, etc.

I’m very reserved. Quality over quantity. So an expensive birthday bash that my baby won’t remember, just isn’t my style. I’d rather spend consistent time, with minimal expense, with the people who are close to us.

That being said, a big birthday bash is something your family members and friends will remember as they watch your child grow, and that is very special.

So there’s no one answer, to each their own :relaxed:

3 Likes

We’re an entertaining kind of family, so had a great first birthday party when our eldest celebrated that milestone. We had a bunch of friends over for a big barbie in the garden, a live acoustic set that went late into the evening, and plenty ice cold brews. I should probably mention that only 3 of them (including the birthday boy) were under the age of 18.

It was a fantastic excuse to get together. As others have mentioned, Bubs isn’t going to remember the event, and is likely to get overwhelmed at some point during the festivities. So, my .02 cents is, if you want to do it, go for it! But make it a celebration for yourself and everyone else too.

1 Like

We did a party for my first, not sure I would call it massive. Honestly, I hate planning parties and found the whole thing extremely stressful and only did it because I felt it was expected of me. I didn’t host another party until she turned 4 and asked for one. I think cake with family at home can be just as meaningful. [name_f]My[/name_f] second turned one at the end of [name_u]March[/name_u], 2020 so you can imagine the complications with a big party there. :joy: We were in lockdown so we did a Facebook [name_f]Live[/name_f] cupcake smash instead which people loved!

If you’re into parties though, go for it. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t feel like you have to. [name_f]Do[/name_f] it for you, not for anyone else.

2 Likes

Mmmm not during a pandemic. Unless its via zoom/skype/other video calling app. If so, then go for it!

1 Like