2 Names or 3?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there,

I’m debating whether to go with a first name and one middle name, or a first name and two middle names. Of note, our last name has four syllables, so would 3 names be too much?

1. [name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]
  2. [name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m], OR
  3. [name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] [name_u]Leighton[/name_u]

[name_m]Reginald[/name_m] is honouring my husband’s 94-year old grandfather, and [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] is my husband’s middle name (although it’s the name he goes by).

I think I prefer the first option. Thoughts?

[name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m]

I personally prefer one middle name. I have two girl combos that I have two first names because I prefer that over the hyphen. Combos with two or more middle names plus adding the surname can feel very overwhelming, especially if a name/names and surname have three plus syllables. It can also start sounding like a list of names, instead of a single person’s name.

I personally prefer just two names. Especially with a middle like [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] which is long and regal-sounding, adding a 2nd middle starts to sound like your child is a member of a royal family! However, that is just my opinion. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_m]Reginald[/name_m] [name_u]Leighton[/name_u] LastName IS really a mouthful (especially since your last name is 4 syllables), how often are you really going around saying all 4 names? It’s totally up to you.