2 Syllable Names/Nicknames That End in -A

I love names and/or nicknames that have a two syllable nickname for that end in -a, or the the -a sound (the ending sounds good with my last name). I used to love the name [name]Isla[/name] for a girl but it is out due to popularity and my neighbor choosing it for her baby. I do not see myself choosing a name that more that one person I know has and that person really has to be someone I don’t know, just maybe heard about on Nameberry or in a birth announcement far away from where I live ([name]California[/name]). Does anyone have any name suggestions that fit this description? I am open to longer names with nickname potential or just a regular 2-syllable name but it must end in the -a sound. The names cannot be yookik or made up. I love place names, too and a water reference in a major bonus!!! Here is a short list of names I have considered in the past:

Finnola/[name]Finella[/name] - ([name]Nola[/name]/[name]Nella[/name])
[name]Selah[/name]
[name]Amoret[/name] - ([name]Ama[/name])
[name]Ayelet[/name] - ([name]Ayla[/name])
[name]Alba[/name]
Cassia
Elka

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

I like

[name]Saskia[/name]
[name]Freja[/name]/[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Mina[/name] on it’s own or as a nn for [name]Jasmine[/name]/[name]Jessamine[/name]/ [name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] for [name]Ludmila[/name]

:slight_smile:

I love the look of [name]Saskia[/name]! [name]How[/name] do you pronounce it?

I say
SASS-k-yuh

Also I love [name]Silke[/name] which I say [name]SIL[/name]-kuh

:slight_smile:

[name]Silke[/name] is cool - I do not love the meaning but it is totally my name style. If I didn’t know what it meant I would be curious to find out more about it.

Yeah the blind thing is unfortunate!
What about [name]Anouk[/name]?
I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Anouk[/name] on it’s own, or as a nn for [name]Anoushka[/name].

I pronounce it [name]AH[/name]-Nook, same intonation as [name]Anna[/name].

My favourite two-syllable-ends in a’s are:

[name]Mara[/name], [name]Zara[/name]
[name]Leah[/name], [name]Lena[/name], [name]Luna[/name], [name]Lita[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Golda[/name]
[name]Zia[/name], [name]Zelda[/name]
[name]Ida[/name], [name]Ada[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Twila[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Eartha[/name] (I admire [name]Eartha[/name] [name]Kitt[/name] a lot)
[name]Raina[/name]/[name]Reina[/name] - [name]Raina[/name]'s meaning has nothing to do with actual rain (ties to either [name]Regina[/name] ‘queen’ or [name]Katerina[/name], ‘pure’) but it sounds like it.

Water reference two-syllable ends in a: [name]Talia[/name] (“dew from heaven”) [name]Ria[/name] (river, river valley).

[name]Anouk[/name] is cute, but not for me. I’d love to see it on someone elses baby. I like [name]Talia[/name] but I don’t find it special enough - I want something very fresh, innovative, and thoughtful. I have considered [name]Thalia[/name] (pronounced [name]Thay[/name] - l - ya…it’s the name of a beach I used to hang out at as a teenager. I also really like [name]Gemma[/name] but I have a friend who used that name. All my boys have very original names that have never been on SSA lists, even the long lists where they count names that at least 5 people were given in a year (as far as I know). I have never seen any of their names discussed on Nameberry, either. I have set the bar very high for myself!!! Any other ideas?

What about [name]Tallulah[/name] nn lula (it means leaping water!)

I also have a friend called Osha which is pretty and very unique… I think it means ‘bear’ but it’s sound always makes me think of the ocean! It could also be short for [name]Oceana[/name]/[name]Oceane[/name]

Some of my favourites with your requirements:

[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Ciara[/name] (pronounced like [name]Keira[/name])
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Jayda[/name]
[name]Jayla[/name]
[name]Jenna[/name]
[name]Kayla[/name]
[name]Kyra[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lyla[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Marina[/name] (3 syllables but water reference?)
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Nyla[/name]
[name]Reina[/name]
[name]Sasha[/name]
[name]Skyla[/name]
[name]Zola[/name]
[name]Zora[/name]

[name]Oceana[/name] nn Osha is super cute!!! I like [name]Tallulah[/name] and if it wasn’t for [name]Demi[/name] [name]Moore[/name], I’d probably consider it. I love the meaning and I love the nn [name]Lula[/name] but I just can’t name my baby something that is known in Hollywood. I’ll put it on my list and you never know, maybe it will grow on me enough to change my mind!

I love Alba, Nola, & Nella. Elka is interesting. I like it, too.

Some of my favorites:

[name]Cyra[/name]!
[name]Nona[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Isra[/name] (this is listed as a boys’ name here, but here’s its background as a girls’ name from another site: “Means ‘nocturnal journey’, derived from Arabic سرى (sara) ‘to travel at night’”)
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Eira[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Hera[/name]
[name]Rilla[/name] - could be a nn for [name]Cyrilla[/name], [name]Marilla[/name], [name]Amaryllis[/name], Idril
[name]Oona[/name]
[name]Orla[/name]
[name]Leda[/name]
[name]Zola[/name]
[name]Iona[/name] (herp, can’t count; four letters just doesn’t seem like it should = three syllables)
[name]Zoya[/name] / [name]Zoia[/name]
[name]Thora[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Maeva[/name]
[name]Ursa[/name]
[name]Sonia[/name] / [name]Sonya[/name] / [name]Sonja[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Theda[/name]
Runa
Svea
[name]Zelda[/name]

[name]Theda[/name] is interesting. I’ve never heard it and couldn’t find a meaning for it on Nameberry. I actually love the nickname [name]Teddy[/name] SO SO SO SO much even though it doesn’t fit the description I listed in this thread…there is always exceptions to the rule. [name]Teddy[/name] could be a nickname for [name]Theda[/name], right?

What about [name]Ida[/name]? Similar to [name]Isla[/name], yet it’s not [name]Isla[/name]. Haha :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] don’t pair it with [name]Claire[/name]… [name]Ida[/name] [name]Clare[/name]. I declare. Ha. (Only aware of this thanks to past family’s mistakes)

or [name]Eda[/name].

Some of my suggestions have more than two syllables but I’ve tried my hardest to stick to the two syllables!

[name]Edwina[/name]
[name]Marina[/name] - has the water reference :slight_smile:
[name]Keira[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]/[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Ayla[/name] (A- la)
[name]Rhonda[/name]/[name]Ronda[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Misha[/name]/[name]Mischa[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name]
Emba/[name]Ember[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Sofia[/name]/[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Elodia[/name]
[name]Charlotta[/name]

x

I’m familiar with this said as eye-la? What’s the background for the A-la pronunciation?

I love it said eye-la but since OP wasn’t fond of [name]Isla[/name] I thought [name]Ayla[/name] might not make it. I do prefer [name]Ayla[/name] to [name]Isla[/name] personally. I’ve also seen [name]Ayla[/name] spelt Iyla, but I would worry people around here would just think I can’t spell [name]Isla[/name].

I prefer the eye-la pronunciation, too. I do not like [name]Ida[/name] - it is not my style, not quirky enough. Sorry, I appreciate the suggestion though.

Here is some information on it said A - la :slight_smile:
It’s a beautiful name I think!!

Marta
Anna
Mina
Luna
Vera
Kinga
Nina
Raina
Pia

There have got to be more out there!!! That rare gem that is waiting for me to discover it…anyone???