2 weeks old & nameless: Part 2! Evander?

Thank you to the wonderful Berries who have kindly offered their advice, support and suggestions for our baby boy who still remains nameless :frowning: Your comments have helped immensely, and although I’m sure you’re all sick of hearing about this, (STILL!) I’m struggling to eliminate some of the names that have been on my list for years…

So, what do you think about these two sibling combos:

[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Evander[/name_m]

Please be brutally honest if need be. At this point, I think that’s what I need! Lol

Thank you, as always x

I’ve always voted for [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] and I really liked [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] too, And if it was up to me, it would be those two names I’d choose from. But seeing as though it’s off your list I’m choosing [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] instead. It fits so well with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and it is that vintagey feel you want. [name_m]Evander[/name_m] doesn’t make sense to the style or matches older sister [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

Best of luck finding your bub a name xx

EDIT: There’s also some other things I forgot to mention but have said in previous so amybe it’s worth mentioning again. Being honest here like you asked. Cut Evander from your short list, IMO it doesn’t belong there. If you really love Oscar then go for it, but I still love how Adelaide & Orlando have a nice vintagey feel to them, match syllables (which I’m kind of obsessed with…lol) & would both be named after cities!! But if you were to have more children, there’s not many places left that are vintage too.
Harrison I still absolutely adore and always have, (maybe I’m a bit biased because it was going to be brothers name but wasn’t in the end). Harry is there, but isn’t. Harris is cute but Harrison fits with Adelaide better. The onl thing I worry for this name is that it is a bit more popular compared to Adeliade, so I don’t know if you find that a problem or not.

Sorry!! This reply is a bit all over the place but hopefully you understood it!!

Thank you, [name_u]Alexis[/name_u]. You’ve been a great support ever since my first thread and I really appreciate all your comments and suggestions :slight_smile: I was worried that [name_m]Evander[/name_m] wouldn’t suit [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]'s style, so thank you for your honesty on this one! Like I said, it’s what I need right now x

I’m not sure how helpful this is but I just noticed your [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] thread and I love [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]! [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] are also great choices. I think it is better to focus on the names you love first, and most of them would work fine with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] because we intuitively like styles that work together. I hope that removes just a little bit of pressure trying so hard to find names that sound perfect together :).

I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I don’t like [name_m]Evander[/name_m] at all and it seems like a different style than [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is a great name and goes very well with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. [name_m]Evander[/name_m] is not terrible but I find it a tongue-twister next to [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. (I thought the same about [name_m]Orlando[/name_m].)

I think [name_m]Henry[/name_m] is a better fit than [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], though [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] is fine. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is my first choice of all of these (though if [name_m]Henry[/name_m] was an option it would be between those 2).

I quite like [name_m]Evander[/name_m], especially with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. (I also like [name_m]Reuben[/name_m].) [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is not my cup of tea. It sounds harsh, while [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is a lilting name. And it seems like an old man name to me- not as in old fashioned, but in that I can’t picture it on a child. (I can imagine a young [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m] though.)

I don’t really have an opinion between these two names, but what I would say is cross off [name_m]Harrison[/name_m]. You are obviously considering lots of names over it, which probably means it’s not your favourite and would seem like second best.

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and think it fits perfectly with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I see it on all of your posts, yet you keep asking about other names… So is [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] really a name you want to use?

I like [name_m]Evander[/name_m] on its own and with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I prefer it over [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], or [name_m]Harrison[/name_m].

I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] & [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] make a great pair. Between [name_m]Harrison[/name_m], [name_m]Evander[/name_m] & [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] I would choose [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] myself. It’s not a name I like on its own (met too many [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]'s myself) but it’s the name I like best with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] (I’m very particular about siblings having names that complement each other, so if I see a nice sibset it automatically sweetens a name for me that I wouldn’t have looked twice at on its own!)

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and think it goes great with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I think they match because they start with vowels but are not too close. Both names are established in English and sound vintage. [name_m]Evander[/name_m] sounds more exotic to me and like it is trying a bit too hard, whereas [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is more of a friendly and familiar name. Also the only [name_m]Evander[/name_m] I know of is [name_m]Evander[/name_m] Holyfield.

[name_m]Evander[/name_m] is a handsome, strong name with a wonderful meaning. I actually had a coworker a few years back named [name_m]Evander[/name_m] & it worked well on him. I also like [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], it was a cute meaning too. Stylistically with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] goes a tad bit better but neither are horrible.

Both are nice names! There are always going to be people who dislike whatever name you’re considering. You just have to decide which one is right for your little one & your family, good luck! :slight_smile:

Agree about [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. Friendly and vintage and goes well with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

Recently heard the name Olivander or Oleander which I think is nicer than [name_m]Evander[/name_m].

I still think out of all of your choices, [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] goes best with [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].

Not to add pressure, but what are you planning to use as a middle name? That might help with your decision too.

Thanks so much for all your comments :slight_smile:

I’ve got to admit - I’m a little surprised by most of the reactions to [name_m]Evander[/name_m]. It’s a name that has been on my list for years. It’s got a wonderful history behind it and I believe it to be a hidden gem; it’s rarely used but is strong, handsome and masculine. It has a European feel to it (like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], which was used by European royalty) and has classical foundations. I also consider it to be, as stated on Nameberry, ‘a distinctive alternative to [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]’. But, as passionate name nerds we are of course bound to differ in our viewpoints :wink:

I’m wondering - is the lack of support for choosing Evander due to a disapproval of the name in general, or instead because it’s not a great match with sister Adelaide?

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the sound of Olivander/Ollivander but not too keen on made up names. I also remember falling in love with Oleander a few years back, before learning that it’s a toxic shrub!! :eek:

I like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_m]Evander[/name_m]. I just really dislike [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. I always think Of [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Meyer[/name_m] Weiner. [name_m]Evander[/name_m] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] share the same uniquely classic vibe.

Thank you!! :slight_smile:

I’ve always liked similar sounding [name_m]Leander[/name_m] and [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] as well. But I worry that [name_m]Leander[/name_m] is too close to the feminine [name_f]Leanne[/name_f]? My only hesitation about [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] is the ‘lice’ sound :confused: