2008 List - Names that Newly Cracked the Top 1000

Hey everyone, how about keeping a list of the names that made it onto the 2008 list but not the 2007 one?

I’ve got a few so far (some courtesy of the folks over at the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name]). Please add whatever else you find!

Girls:
#829 [name]Matilda[/name] (last on list in 1964) - I think we all saw this one coming.
#998 [name]Kenley[/name] (first timer)
#895 [name]Brynlee[/name] (first timer)
#1000 [name]Elianna[/name] (first timer)
#999 [name]Sloane[/name] (first timer)
#906 [name]Raelynn[/name] (first timer) - The kre8ivyti grows and grows…
#960 [name]Emelia[/name] (last on list in 1921) - ew
#976 [name]Karsyn[/name] (first timer) - ewwww
#942 [name]Paityn[/name] (first timer) - These alternative spellings annoy me.
#943 [name]Payten[/name] (first timer) - See above
#972 [name]Avah[/name] (first timer) - Is this [name]Ava[/name] with an h or Ahva?
#996 [name]Carleigh[/name] (first timer)
#519 [name]Caylee[/name] (first timer) - I guess if it fits the trends, any exposure can boost a name…a LOT.

Boys:
#976 [name]Callum[/name] (first timer) - I really like this name.
#980 [name]Deegan[/name] (first timer)
#991 [name]Baron[/name] (last on list in 1987)
#978 [name]Bridger[/name] (last on list in 2003)

No time to look up more…sorry!

After reading so many “yooneek” and “trendeigh” names ([name]Brynlee[/name], [name]Raelynn[/name], [name]Karsyn[/name], [name]Paityn[/name], [name]Payten[/name], [name]Avah[/name], [name]Carleigh[/name], [name]Caylee[/name]), I want to go scoop my eyeballs out with a melon baller. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the detective work, [name]Beatrix[/name]! (I [name]LOVE[/name] your name!) :slight_smile:

I know two of my faves, [name]Isla[/name] and [name]June[/name], broke into the top 1000!

[name]Isla[/name] was #632, and was last in the top 1000 in 1908.
[name]June[/name] was #863, and was last in the top 1000 in 1986.

More boys:

#987 [name]Bronson[/name] (last on list in 2005)
#877 [name]Koen[/name] (last on list in 2006)
#874 [name]Jadiel[/name] (first timer)
#949 [name]Yadiel[/name] (first timer)
#883 [name]Leonidas[/name] (last on list in 1898)
#889 [name]Urijah[/name] (first timer) - Is this an actual person in the Bible, or just a smush of [name]Uriah[/name] and [name]Elijah[/name]?
#893 [name]Beckham[/name] (last on list in 1903)
#896 [name]Eden[/name] (first timer) - pretty surprising, seeing its popularity for girls
#960 [name]Makhi[/name] (last on list in 2005)
#898 [name]Zaiden[/name] (first timer) - YES! [name]JUST[/name] WHAT WE NEEDED! ANOTHER [name]AIDEN[/name] NAME!
#924 [name]Zaid[/name] (last on list in 2004)
#921 [name]Aarav[/name] (first timer)
#926 [name]Tripp[/name] (first timer)
#927 [name]Kamren[/name] (last on list in 2006)
#930 [name]Jakobe[/name] (last on list in 2006)
#934 [name]Geovanni[/name] (first timer)
#942 [name]Denzel[/name] (last on list in 2006)

More girls:

#890 [name]Lailah[/name] (first timer)
#887 [name]Jaslyn[/name] (first timer)
#783 [name]Alisson[/name] (first timer)

Boys:
#836 [name]Kymani[/name] (first timer)
#665 [name]Chace[/name] (first timer)

[name]Beatrix[/name], you’re killing me here! LOL! [name]Jaslyn[/name]? Seriously? [name]Alisson[/name]? (Why not add a few more s’s, eh? Alissssssson. Yeah. Much classier!) [name]Zaiden[/name]? [name]Kamren[/name]? These people seriously need to get hooked on phonics!

LOL! The hooked on phonics cracked me up!

it made me think of this shirt I seen that says “Huked on fonix reely wurked for me” (or something similar)

Before you critisize a spelling try to wrap your little mind around why it is spelled that way. [name]Paityn[/name] is a femine version. [name]Peyton[/name] is unisex but when it is spelled [name]Paityn[/name] you know that it is a girl. This is different than Alllisssson.

Oh, those poor babies … Although [name]Matilda[/name] is lovely - I’m sad it has gotten so popular. [name]Emilia[/name] is not too bad, to my mind - I actually prefer it to [name]Amelia[/name], and it is a legitimate variation.

I see that [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] were quick to get all the new name variants into the Nameberry database.

[name]Even[/name] if one doesn’t quite care for the name variants that have made it to the 2008 list, it’s nice to see that the Nameberry database is up to date. That’s something I really appreciate about this website! Cheers, [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]!

– [name]Nephele[/name]

This is from the Bible([name]Jeremiah[/name] 26:20). Some versions spell it [name]Uriah[/name] and some versions spell it [name]Urijah[/name].

There is a mixed martial arts fighter named [name]Urijah[/name] [name]Faber[/name] aka “The [name]California[/name] Kid”.

Please don’t take this as me “calling you out” or trying to start something, because here at nameberry we try very hard to not cause “drama”, but I wanted to explain why we made the comment we did. Most of us here are sort of “advocates” for the true spelling of name. We love names with history and feel that a name tells a lot about a person. We’ve had many discussions here about the “true spelling” of names and the general consensus is that the “creative” spelling of a name ruins the integrity. There is actually studies out there that show if a person has a name that is creatively spelled, people don’t always take them seriously. They can actually think lower of them. I personally think most people would like to avoid that for their children. There are many names out there, and plenty of them are unisex. I think everyone understands this, so I don’t feel its necessary to have to feminize a name through an incorrect spelling. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I’m not calling anyone “wrong”, I just merely wanted to point out why we think the way we do :slight_smile: