2009 Hurricane Names

Well, I’m such a name addict that I saw the headline about Tropical [name]Storm[/name] [name]Andres[/name] and decided to look up the 2009 Hurricane Name list. I actually like a lot of the names, too bad they’re storms. :-/

[name]Andres[/name]
[name]Bill[/name]
[name]Claudette[/name]
[name]Danny[/name]
[name]Erika[/name]
[name]Fred[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Henri[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Joaquin[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Larry[/name]
[name]Mindy[/name]
[name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Sam[/name]
[name]Teresa[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]Wanda[/name]

I like [name]Andres[/name], [name]Joaquin[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Odette[/name] (my childhood favorite!), [name]Henri[/name], and [name]Teresa[/name]. It’s kind of hard to imagine a Hurricane [name]Danny[/name], though. [name]Danny[/name] is such a nice-guy name…
Your thoughts?

[name]How[/name] weird…My husband’s name is [name]Danny[/name] and I’m [name]Erica[/name]!
That’s kinda cool, in a strange way :slight_smile:

[name]Ida[/name] is one of my little loves right now. :slight_smile:

I’m just afraid these names will be ruined for a lot of people if they end up becoming bad hurricanes. [name]Andrew[/name] is still a popular name despite Hurricane [name]Andrew[/name], but [name]Katrina[/name]- not so much.

They rotate the hurricane names every six years. They only put new ones in if one is bad enough to be retired. (So, in 2011 there will probably be another K name). They used to be all female names but then they added men. There is another list for hurricanes in the pacific ocean. If there are more hurricanes than names (no X or Z) they go with greek letters.

[name]Just[/name] some fun facts on hurricane names from your resident seventh grade science teacher :slight_smile:

oooh I found the complete list:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

My name has been used for 13 tropical storms worldwide, some of them quite destructive. What an interesting topic.