2019 US Name Data: What is happening?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone ,

So as well all know the US name data set was meant to come out this month? With Covid-19 and everything do we know if that’s still happening? Is it happening on time or later this year? And if it’s been delayed to next year what will that look like? So many questions lol

1 Like

I don’t think the release will be delayed - it doesn’t take much if any person-to-person contact for SSA to compile the data (and if the records are already in a database can probably be done remotely).

Actually, the new data normally doesn’t come till [name_f]May[/name_f], and I believe it is set to be released [name_f]May[/name_f] 8. :slight_smile:

Great question! I do believe the date remains unchanged, it normally is released in time for Mother’s [name_u]Day[/name_u] in the US (second [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] in [name_f]May[/name_f]) or by a specific date (which I’ve forgotten), whichever comes first. I imagine the data is already compiled and it’s a matter of scheduling an update! :slight_smile:

Anyone know if there’s been an update about this? Do we know when it’s coming out yet since it’s been postponed?

1 Like

No word yet, but you might start watching over the next few weeks. One of the reasons I suspect for the delay is the extension of the tax filing deadline (from the usual [name_f]April[/name_f] 15 to [name_u]July[/name_u] 15), and the SSA may have decided to wait until after that so the data would include SSN applications delayed for the same reason. ([name_f]Remember[/name_f] the main reason the SSA can publish a baby names list the next year is that SSNs are required for dependents to be claimed by the IRS. Before that requirement existed some people did not have a Social Security number until they started working.)

3 Likes

About a couple of weeks ago, after contacting the SSA via their general email, learned that their actuary department is the one responsible for compiling the baby names lists. Thus I decided to send an email to them (actuary (at) ssa (dot) gov) to see if they could give an update on what’s going on. As of this post (almost two weeks later) I have yet to receive a reply of any kind. (I told them that if they’re busy with more important issues I don’t have any complaints, but if the lists are actually ready but they feel that now is an “inappropriate” time to release them for some reason to please reconsider. By now the delay I hypothesized due to the tax deadline extension would not be a factor, since we’re at an equivalent amount of time past the deadline as in usual years with the [name_f]April[/name_f] deadline/early-mid [name_f]May[/name_f] release.)

5 Likes

Well, it seems the UK data for 2019 has been released. That should tide me over for now! :smiley:

2 Likes

It’s finally here!

[name_u]Liam[/name_u] is still #1 for boys, but [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] has taken over [name_f]Emma[/name_f] for the #1 spot on the girl’s side.

8 Likes

tell me why I audibly squealed when I saw the list

1 Like

yaaaaaaayy!!! I’m literally so excited :rofl:

nooooo [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is up to 36 :sob: :sob: :sob: and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]’s up to 291 :cry:

I’d really like for people to stop using my favourites lol

4 Likes

My kids’ names rise every year and I’m annoyed every year haha!

Exciting to have the data at last :partying_face:

4 Likes

Literally! I have a separate doc filled with my list and their rankings so I’m so sad right now that they’re all moving up!

1 Like

For real! I want to go back to when everyone hated my naming style :joy:

2 Likes

Cleo made the top 1000 and I don’t know how to feel about it…

4 Likes

Noooo :sob:

1 Like

Is it bad that I get lowkey insulted when some of my favorites get moved down on the list. Like I’m glad it’s not super popular but I’m also mad that people don’t like it enough to name their kids that

4 Likes

Freyja ranked for the first time! It’s 990, but still on there!

1 Like

Here’s the new names to the top 1000

Thank you, monikermaven!
(I know she’s on NB, but I can’t for the life of me remember her handle on here. If someone else does, please tag her!)

6 Likes