2020’s Most Popular Names

I think Loretta’s making a comeback!

4 Likes

I love [name_f]Loretta[/name_f]! It deserves so much more attention!

3 Likes

I am very surprised that [name_f]Loretta[/name_f], [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Bellamy[/name_u], [name_f]Denise[/name_f] & [name_f]Wrenley[/name_f] have never been in the top 1000 before!

2 Likes

[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u] first appeared in 2018 for girls, dropped out of the top 1,000 for girls but appeared for boys in 2019, and now it appears for both genders.

4 Likes

So many of the names in the top 1000 or fastest rising are celebrity or celebrity kid names! I agree that Naya is influenced by Naya Rivera and Rosalia by the singer Rosalia.

Avayah is the name of YouTuber couple The Banks Family’s daughter born in December 2019, so the timeline fits.

Denisse appears to be influenced by a Mexican reality tv star named Denisse Novoa.

I’m going to say Gianna and Jianna are definitely influenced by Gianna Bryant, along with her sisters names Natalia and Capri’s which also rose.

Zhuri is the spelling of LeBron James’s daughter.

I’m thinking Murphy is maybe influenced by the now canceled Murphy Brown reboot which was in talks in 2019.

Mazikeen is a character from DC comics and in the show Lucifer.

I’m surprised Stormi is in the top 1000 because the name and spelling is so associated with Kylie Jenner, but so many of the Kardashian names appear in the top 1000 soon after they are born.

Layne is probably rising because of Chelsea’s daughter Layne from 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom.

Aislinn may be rising because of the actress Aislinn Derbez.

I’m wondering if Zyair is inspired by Dwyane Wade’s son’s similar name Zaire. Boy names ending in the “air” sound seem to be a rising trend.

Jakobe and Kobe are not surprising rises after Kobe Bryant, just like after Nipsey Hussle’s death there was an increase in his name (Ermias) or similar to his and his daughters (Emani).

Kylo is definitely after Kylo Ren and Anakin is after Anakin Skywalker.

I’ve been seeing an increase in celebrities naming their babies (boy and girl) Ocean, so it’s not too surprising of a rise.

Maybe Dior for boys, although I’ve been seeing it used a lot for girls too, because of rapper Pop Smoke’s death in early 2020 and his popular song “Dior”.

Also possibly Truett rising after singer TobyMac’s son who died in late 2019.

These are just a few I can think of off the top of my head!

7 Likes

I’m surprised by [name_f]Denise[/name_f] being on there. That was my mom’s name and we want to use it as an honor name, but it feels so dated and old now. I can’t imagine a baby [name_f]Denise[/name_f].

2 Likes

I love seeing [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] (!!!), [name_f]Marceline[/name_f], [name_f]Loretta[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Jovie[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalia[/name_f], [name_m]Rogelio[/name_m], [name_m]Eliezer[/name_m], [name_m]Abner[/name_m], [name_m]Dion[/name_m], [name_u]Adler[/name_u], [name_u]Avi[/name_u], and [name_u]Rio[/name_u] join the list!

2 Likes

I know this is late but I wanted to say:

Jones as a FN??? And my elementary teacher thought I was crazy for creatively trying to name a character’s fn as Jones! Little did she know that I was ahead of my time! :rofl: :rofl:

I’m kinda surprised Raya made it on the list in 2020 before the movie came out in 2021

I’m happy to see Artemis, Loretta, Etta, Raya, Rosalia, Naya, Araceli, Everest, Duncan, Lyric, Adler, Osiris, Kenji, Ocean, Ander, Eliezer, Avi, and Rio make the list!

lol at Mazikeen

Signature

Alita Katarina ~ Lyra Catalina ~ Claire 𝒜𝓏𝒶𝓁𝑒𝒶 ~Valeria Adeline ~ 𝓛𝒶𝓊𝓇𝒶 Aveline
𝓥𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓪 𝓡𝓸𝓼𝓪𝓵𝓲𝓮 ~ Anova Opaline ~ Sakura Eve ~ 𝓐𝓵𝓲𝔃𝓪 Araminta

Isadore Nightingale ~ Soren Lysander ~ Atticus Ollivander ~ Otto Avalon ~ Ronin Alistair
𝓡𝔂𝓵𝓪𝓷 Denali ~ Roran Akito ~ Arwyn Lorelei ~ Kiro Wyrden ~ Kuzon Enduriel

1 Like

I guess everyone watches [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] as [name_f]Mazikeen[/name_f] skyrocketed :joy: she’s a good character though so understandable lol

Nice to see [name_u]Rio[/name_u] get more usage. [name_f]Naya[/name_f] is a beautiful name and [name_f]Naya[/name_f] Rivera was a beautiful person so I’m glad to see that get more usage too!

1 Like