32 weeks and still no name....

Hey there all! New to the site but liked what I’ve read… so thought I would try to solve our baby naming dillema. Someone please help me??? Sorry in advance, but Im not a writer… just tellin the story:

My son, who is turning 2 Sept 28th, will be getting a sister for his bday! My due date is Sept 15th… so we will see how close their birthdays end up being!
My problem is that when I was pregnant with [name]Colton[/name] [name]David[/name] we had his name picked out when we went to find out that he was a BOY (which I already knew) at 21 weeks! And so… I am now 32 weeks pregnant with a girl and was unaware of how much harder it is to pick/agree on a GIRL’S name! Why??? It is so ridiculous! First off, [name]Colton[/name]'s middle name is his dad’s, pappy’s, and great grandpa’s… so that was easy. But we picked [name]Colton[/name] out of a baby name book because I really loved [name]Cole[/name], but [name]Clint[/name] (daddy) thought it was too short. When I found [name]Colton[/name], I loved it right away! And daddy felt the same way! So now we have [name]Clinton[/name] [name]David[/name] and [name]Colton[/name] [name]David[/name]! Goes well and same initials… great! Only after I went back to work and started talking to people and bragging on my new baby boy, did I find out that [name]Colton[/name] is “trendy”! Freakin great… but too late now!
Well the baby girl’s name is not coming quite so easily.We have quite a long and undefinate list going of maybe’s and sort of’s, ALL of which I have discovered are “trendy” as well. HUGE sad face!!! :frowning: I feel bad enough that I gave my son a trendy & popular name without even knowing it! Should I give my daughter the same fate in school? I went to school with about 4 [name]Marys[/name], 5 Jessicas, 6 Ashleys, etc. I was the only [name]Shelley[/name] (thanks Mom!). Being an adult I know now that I am not the only [name]Shelley[/name] in the world, however feeling that way in school, I think, is what made me the woman I am today. I was even annoyed when there was a [name]Shelby[/name] in school because that was too close! I like to think of myself as a very unique individual. I want my kids to feel that way about themselves. I know their name does not define who they are, but I cant imagine being one of 5 [name]Angie[/name]'s in a classroom makes you feel very special. Kids are so impressionable.
And I dont want them to be one of 5 in their classroom either! I am at my wits end with this whole baby naming process! Since my son ended up with a “trendy” name by accident, I just cant stand the thought of doing it a 2nd time! But am I just being crazy or does it matter? Please someone help put this very frazzled prego’s mind at ease! Tell me I am right to worry or that I am being a weirdo mom who has lost her marbles! After that I will share our lovely name list and let you all pick at it. Thanks lots!

[name]Hi[/name]! I think it would be really helpful if you could share of the girls names that you like. We may be able to work from that, suggesting names that have a similar feel, meaning or sound, while steering away
from trendy or overused names. Off the top of my head, here are a few for your consideration:
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name]
[name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]

[name]Colton[/name] is in the top 100, but I wouldn’t necessarily consider it trendy. Not like the [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Jayden[/name]/[name]Kaiden[/name]/[name]Hayden[/name] names are. It’s a nice name. :slight_smile:
That being said, I totally get where you’re coming from. I hate to think that my kids might know a child with the same name. It drives my husband insane. lol One of my favorite tools is the SSA top baby names list http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/. Anytime I find a name that I really like, the first thing I do is look up how popular it is and how it’s trending. Post your list and we’ll help you out as best we can. :wink:

First, a bit of reassurance: If you look up “[name]Colton[/name]” on the SSA baby name lists you will find that in 2009, only 0.2252% of babies where given this name (4,754 individuals). That is approximately one [name]Colton[/name] per every 500 babies born that year in the US. So I don’t think that your son is destined to be one of five Coltons everywhere he goes. https://nameberry.com/nametalk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&sid=32a4bd1c93d6b52f1559451c22429ba9&t=24139#

What we tend to forget is that names in the top 100 today actually are used far less frequently the past. In 1990 the number one guys’ name was [name]Michael[/name] with 3.0354% of the infant population (65,268 individuals) receiving that name. Last year the top male name was [name]Jacob[/name] with 1.0756% of newborns being gien this name (21,875 individuals). So even if you pick a very popular name, your kids are unlikely to be one of eight students with the same name in their class.

As for girls names, it would help if we knew what names you do like, but for now I’ll try to give you a little of everything… good luck!

[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Brynn[/name]
[name]Ainsley[/name]
[name]Autumn[/name]
[name]Laney[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]

Hello and thanks so much for writing me! I am VERY stoked to know that [name]Colton[/name] is not as popular as I had thought! Thank you for making my day! :slight_smile:

So, I will get straight to the point! Here is our list of baby girl names in no particular order but I will say how I feel about them…
One thing I also need to tell you is that I want to name my daughter after my Mamma (my mom’s mom) who is the only Grandma I’ve known. She passed away on Mother’s day this year and will never get to see my little girl. We were very close and I just really want to pass her name down. Her name was [name]Helen[/name] [name]Olive[/name]. [name]Clint[/name] and I both agree we like [name]Olive[/name], but its kinda hard to pair names with. Also, should it be 1st or middle? As a 1st we all love the nickname [name]Liv[/name], but for some reason I feel like trying to pick a fun 1st & make it the middle… open to suggestions and thoughts on that.

[name]Harper[/name]-really like
[name]Avery[/name]- have liked most of the pregnancy, [name]Clint[/name] doesnt.
[name]Aspen[/name]- like but worry about the “ass”…easy target?
[name]Corrine[/name]- and call her [name]Cori[/name]! [name]Love[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]- cute, clint says not really
[name]Violet[/name]- very sweet & we both like alot
[name]Fiona[/name]- a clint pick… i think mb
[name]Arwen[/name]- i love! clint not so much…
[name]Arielle[/name]/[name]Ariel[/name]- clint pick. i just keep thinkin mermaid.
[name]Noel[/name]/[name]Noelle[/name]-this is my fav this week…
[name]Petal[/name]-i think adorable. clints not sold.
[name]Melody[/name]-both like
[name]Stella[/name]-both like
[name]Tru[/name]-as a middle, especially for [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Brinlee[/name]-we both like
[name]Marley[/name]/[name]Marlee[/name]-both like

Ok… let the weeding begin!

[name]Harper[/name]-really like
[name]Avery[/name]- have liked most of the pregnancy, [name]Clint[/name] doesnt.
[name]Aspen[/name]- like but worry about the “ass”…easy target?
[name]Corrine[/name]- and call her [name]Cori[/name]! [name]Love[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]- cute, clint says not really
[name]Violet[/name]- very sweet & we both like alot
[name]Fiona[/name]- a clint pick… i think mb
[name]Arwen[/name]- i love! clint not so much…
[name]Arielle[/name]/[name]Ariel[/name]- clint pick. i just keep thinkin mermaid.
[name]Noel[/name]/[name]Noelle[/name]-this is my fav this week…
[name]Petal[/name]-i think adorable. clints not sold.
[name]Melody[/name]-both like
[name]Stella[/name]-both like
[name]Tru[/name]-as a middle, especially for [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Brinlee[/name]-we both like
[name]Marley[/name]/[name]Marlee[/name]-both like
To start off with based on what you had said about wanting a distinctive name that would immediately eliminate [name]Harper[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Finley[/name], [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Arielle[/name], [name]Marley[/name], [name]Stella[/name] and too a lesser degree and it pains me to say since I love the name [name]Violet[/name].
It’s a matter of taste of course but [name]Aspen[/name], [name]Arwen[/name], [name]Petal[/name], [name]Brinlee[/name] and [name]Tru[/name] just don’t strike me as viable names for a lifetime, more like place names and things than a name for a little girl or a woman.
[name]Corinne[/name] and [name]Noelle[/name] are not bad and not overused but there will probably be other little girls with those names at school and neither rolls easily with [name]Olive[/name] which you are committed to using and with good reason.
That leaves [name]Melody[/name] which is both pretty and rare and goes well with [name]Olive[/name] although [name]Melody[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] is smoother if you wanted to go with the spirit of the name instead of the actual.
[name]Hope[/name] that helps.

I was trying to say what the previous poster just said. [name]Glad[/name] I waited. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of Harpers running around in the next few years.

I like [name]Corrine[/name], [name]Noelle[/name] and [name]Melody[/name] but it’s hard getting a name to flow with [name]Olive[/name].

[name]Noelle[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Corrine[/name]

I love the nn [name]Cori[/name] but it’s a pain to be called by your middle name. I’ve dealt with that all my life and swore i wouldn’t do that to my kids.

You can check the American baby statistics by logging onto ssa baby names. It shows a list of the most popular baby names and then you can put in a name and get its rating. In 2010 [name]Colton[/name] was No 73, it is on the rise but believe me you will not end up with a [name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Caden[/name] problem.

rollo :slight_smile:

I vote for [name]Olive[/name] as a first. It’s my baby’s name, we call her [name]Ollie[/name] or [name]Lolly[/name] or sometimes [name]Liv[/name] but I think [name]Olive[/name] is going to be a lot more distinctive than [name]Liv[/name] with all the Olivias running around answering to [name]Liv[/name] and Livi. I like [name]Olive[/name] [name]Harper[/name], [name]Olive[/name] [name]Melody[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] [name]Tru[/name].

I like [name]Olive[/name] [name]Tru[/name] also :slight_smile:

http://babynamelover.wordpress.com/

Have you thought about [name]Corina[/name] or [name]Corrina[/name]? Or maybe also playing with the [name]Helen[/name] part of your grandmother’s name? (ex: [name]Helena[/name], [name]Helene[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Eliana[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name])

[name]Violet[/name] is also one of my favorites! If you think it might be too trendy, what about [name]Viola[/name]? (it actually kinda sounds like a scrambled version of [name]Olive[/name], though) Or using the French spelling, [name]Violette[/name]?

Other names (mostly above #200) that remind me of your list:
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]/[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Livia[/name] (really unique take on [name]Olive[/name]!)
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Arden[/name] (cool literary meaning if you’re into that)
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Ainsley[/name]
[name]Beverly[/name]
[name]Paisley[/name]
[name]Ariella[/name] (I think adding an -a takes away the mermaid image)

*My favorites are in bold.

I think [name]Olive[/name] [name]Tru[/name] is gorgeous.

I do not consider [name]Colton[/name] a trendy name by any means. I can see how some may come to that conclusion but I think it’s got a solid base.

I adore the name [name]Olive[/name], but it is becoming quite popular in my area. Three babies in three months are named this. I can see this one shoot up - unforunately. I love it in the middle spot.

I talked my brother out of using [name]Aspen[/name]. It’s an easy target - you are absolutely right about that. I really like your more frilly girl names with [name]Colton[/name], which I see as very masculine.

I love:
[name]Colton[/name] & [name]Brynn[/name] (in place of [name]Brinlee[/name], which seems a bit made up to me)
[name]Colton[/name] & [name]Melody[/name]
[name]Colton[/name] & [name]Violet[/name] ([name]Violet[/name] is a tad trendy, but it’s a good name and that is why people love it)

I grew up as the only [name]Anne[/name] in a sea of Jessicas, [name]Nicoles[/name] and Jennifers. I would have given anything to have a more commonplace/trendy name. I became a namer to learn to love my name. Most young Avas and Isabellas that I know love their names.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Carine[/name]? Also, seconding [name]Helena[/name], that’s a great name. And I do agree that [name]Olive[/name] will probably shoot-up, as an alternative for [name]Olivia[/name]. [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Harley[/name] are also nice H names. [name]Noelle[/name] is a great name, and there’s also [name]Nola[/name], [name]Nina[/name] and [name]Nora[/name]/[name]Norah[/name]. Other ideas:

[name]Arleen[/name]/[name]Arlene[/name]
[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Tilda[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Briana[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

[name]Just[/name] to offer a different perspective to the unique name issue, I hated my name when I was a kid because no one else had it. Yes, I wanted to be unique, but not so unique that everyone always misspelled or mispronounced my name (my given name is spelled [name]Aislinn[/name]). I really hated it and I think that sometimes parents are so focused on giving their kids a unique name that they get carried away and don’t realize that no child wants to go through life having to spell/pronounce his/her name every time roll is called on the first day of school or every time he/she meets someone new.

If you want something unique for your daughter, go with something easy to pronounce/spell like your name. [name]Shelley[/name] is a great name because it’s not too common yet there isn’t a soul who doesn’t know how to say it. I’d say stay away from rare/unique names that are hard to spell/pronounce (like [name]Aislinn[/name] for example).

[name]Miranda[/name] (Shakespearan and not too common, but recognizable)
[name]Gemma[/name] (I don’t know how popular this is, but it doesn’t seem like it would be too popular)
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] (nn [name]Elle[/name] or [name]Ella[/name] or [name]Nora[/name] if you don’t like [name]Ellie[/name])
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Regan[/name] (see [name]Miranda[/name] – pronounced [name]Ree[/name]-gan)
[name]Katarina[/name] (a variation of [name]Katherine[/name], but not nearly as common. nn [name]Kat[/name])
[name]Spenser[/name] (cute on a girl and not too common for girls)
[name]Rima[/name]
[name]Regis[/name] (I saw this on someone’s list and thought it was cute for a girl. Very uncommon)

[name]Colton[/name] is a great name!! I’ve never heard it (I’m from [name]Canada[/name]). It’s so manly and very cool it matches Dad!

I’m giong to leave trendiness out of the equation here and focus on taste. I think if a child is well named trendiness does not matter.

I’m just going to comment on my favorites and names both you and your husband like.

[name]Harper[/name]–>[name]Harper[/name] [name]Olive[/name] would be a wonderful tribute to [name]Helen[/name] [name]Olive[/name], same initials and middle name. [name]Just[/name] like your [name]Son[/name] and his dad.
[name]Aspen[/name]- I love this for a midle name, it makes me think of snow BUT does not mesh well with your grandmother’s names.
[name]Violet[/name]- I like [name]Violet[/name] [name]Helen[/name], or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] NOT [name]Violet[/name] [name]Olive[/name] snice it’s two “word” names in a row.
[name]Noel[/name]/[name]Noelle[/name]- Beautiful name! [name]Noelle[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] is just ok to me, but still great first name.
[name]Melody[/name]- I prefer [name]Elodie[/name], [name]Elodie[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] - it seems a bit more elegant than [name]Melody[/name].
[name]Marley[/name]/[name]Marlee[/name]- I prefer [name]Marlow[/name], all I can think is [name]Marley[/name] and me! [name]Marlow[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]

You’ve got some great name ideas :slight_smile: Whatever you do, keep your grandmother’s name in there somehow. It’s a wonderful way to remember people we love.

i agree with [name]Joel[/name], go with [name]MELODY[/name]
or as another poster suggested, [name]Ariella[/name] (or [name]Arielle[/name])