3rd Baby Name! Is it too different?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everybody :wave:t2:

We are pregnant with our 3rd, but don’t know the sex. I’m torn on names for this one because I feel like my taste has changed. I don’t want the third name to sound completely different than the first two. We have 2 sons whose names are…

[name_m]Reid[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Wes[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

I always feel funny including their middle names because we never call them by their full names. It’s always just [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m]. As you can tell, we like short boy names, we like nicknames for names. So far the names I like right now are…

[name_m]Boy[/name_m]-
[name_m]Rory[/name_m]
[name_m]Alfie[/name_m]

[name_f]Girl[/name_f]-
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Scottie[/name_f]

I think both girl names will match the vibe we have going. But my boy names feel like they won’t match at all!!

Any thoughts? Am I overthinking? I’d love to hear other name suggestions for boys if anyone has any! We try to stay away from popular names, we like shorter ones, and we’d rather name our children the nickname vs than the longer one, usually. Thanks!

2 Likes

Congrats! I think you are overthinking. While the (ie) sound may make these names sound a little more playful than your others, I think it still fits the classic but sweet vibe. [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is an adorable name and I think it would fit perfectly!

3 Likes

[name_m]Alfie[/name_m] works. It’s a nickname like [name_m]Wes[/name_m]. I feel like [name_m]Rory[/name_m] would make [name_m]Wes[/name_m] look like the odd man out, being the only one without an R name.

And I love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] for a girl!

Other boy suggestions:

[name_m]Beck[/name_m]
[name_m]Cal[/name_m]
Charley/Charlie
[name_m]Cole[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_f]Scotty[/name_f]
[name_m]Tal[/name_m]
[name_m]Theo[/name_m]
[name_m]Zac[/name_m]

2 Likes

I think you are on the right track. I agree with pp about [name_m]Rory[/name_m] and [name_m]Reid[/name_m]. Maybe go for a new first letter. [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is nice though. [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] on a girl too. Other girl nickname names I love:
[name_f]Stevie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_m]Alex[/name_m]
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]
[name_f]Josie[/name_f]
[name_f]Dani[/name_f]
[name_m]Joey[/name_m]
[name_f]Rae[/name_f]
[name_f]Connie[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgie[/name_f]
[name_f]Susie[/name_f]
[name_m]Sam[/name_m]
[name_f]Lainey[/name_f]
[name_f]Jill[/name_f]

For Boys
[name_m]Lane[/name_m]
[name_m]Sam[/name_m]
[name_m]Nico[/name_m]
[name_m]Eddie[/name_m]
[name_m]Ben[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ollie[/name_m]
[name_m]Tae[/name_m]
[name_m]Beck[/name_m]
[name_m]Dash[/name_m]
[name_m]Hal[/name_m]
[name_m]Jake[/name_m]
[name_f]Lou[/name_f]
[name_m]Jem[/name_m]
[name_m]Ty[/name_m]
[name_m]Max[/name_m]
[name_m]Tim[/name_m]

1 Like

I think [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] and [name_m]Rory[/name_m] work - they have that same relaxed but rugged feel to me - maybe a bit ‘softer’ but not in a way that doesn’t match. [name_f]My[/name_f] only thing is that [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] and [name_m]Rory[/name_m] are popular where I am, but that might not apply to where you are?

A few ideas for boys with [name_m]Wes[/name_m] and Reid…

[name_m]Gage[/name_m]
[name_m]Cal[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurie[/name_m]
[name_m]Ty[/name_m]
[name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]
[name_m]Mack[/name_m]
[name_m]Gus[/name_m]

I think [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] and [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] match your vibe perfectly, and feel like they fit really well as a good sibset.

[name_m]Rory[/name_m] feels like it doesn’t fit quite so well, the repeated first letter with [name_m]Reid[/name_m] kind of bothers me, and I also see [name_m]Rory[/name_m] as complete on it’s own rather than a nickname? Though [name_m]Reid[/name_m] is too.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] feels quite formal and 3 syllable compared to your other names.

But honestly I think any name will be fine - each of your children are separate people, with separate personalities, and I don’t think how cohesive they feel their names are as a sibset is something that’s going to worry them.

I think the names match pretty well !! They’re both short, on-trend nickname names just like your children’s names. I don’t see why they wouldn’t match!

It’s not a dealbreaker by any means but I don’t love the matching R initials of [name_m]Rory[/name_m] & [name_m]Reid[/name_m], so my choice would be [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] for a boy, and [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] for a girl !! I know some others pointed out that [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is quite noticeably longer but I think that’s perfectly fine since she would be a girl, and a lot of people have different naming styles for their sons vs their daughters. It wouldn’t feel weird at all to me.

Some other ideas:
[name_m]Reid[/name_m], [name_m]Wes[/name_m] and…
[name_m]Archie[/name_m]
[name_m]Ari[/name_m] (on a boy or girl!)
[name_m]Benji[/name_m]
[name_m]Bram[/name_m]
[name_m]Beau[/name_m] / [name_m]Bo[/name_m]
[name_m]Cy[/name_m]
[name_m]Clancy[/name_m]
[name_m]Drew[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ellis[/name_m]
[name_m]Finn[/name_m]
[name_m]Flynn[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_f]Frankie[/name_f] (also on any gender!)
[name_m]Jesse[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_m]Luca[/name_m]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nico[/name_m]
[name_m]Ollie[/name_m]
[name_m]Percy[/name_m]
[name_m]Sal[/name_m]
[name_m]Sully[/name_m]
[name_m]Seb[/name_m]
[name_m]Sol[/name_m]
[name_m]Shep[/name_m]
[name_m]Teddy[/name_m]

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Bea[/name_f]
[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Billie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Callie[/name_f]
[name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsie[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]
[name_f]Harley[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Indie[/name_f]
[name_m]Jules[/name_m]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]June[/name_f]
[name_f]Lainey[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Louella[/name_f] / [name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Penny[/name_f]
[name_f]Shiloh[/name_f]
[name_f]Sadie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]

2 Likes

Congratulations!

R3id & W3s feel very fashionable and cool :guitar::headphones:

I love [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] with your boys he’s a [name_f]British[/name_f] staple that has massively grown on me of recent and I think with your kiddos [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is just emphasis the cool rock and roll vibes. Honestly R3id, W3s and [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] are great.

Suggestions: [name_m]Gus[/name_m], [name_m]Beau[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m], [name_m]Nash[/name_m], [name_m]Ned[/name_m], [name_m]Seb[/name_m], [name_m]Ziggy[/name_m], [name_m]Koa[/name_m], [name_m]Rex[/name_m], [name_m]Ellis[/name_m], [name_m]Max[/name_m], [name_m]Zeb[/name_m], [name_m]Kit[/name_m], [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_m]Teddy[/name_m], [name_m]Sol[/name_m], [name_m]Otis[/name_m], [name_m]Jem[/name_m] + [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m]

With your girls I love [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] she’s so romantic, majestic and whimsy a really lovely timeless choice. I think [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] sounds gorgeous with your boys. [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] has that cool girl vibe which I think sounds awesome with boys even though [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] wouldn’t be my first choice I think for you this is awesome.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

[name_m]Alfie[/name_m] for a boy and [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] for a girl are golden choices for you!!!

1 Like

Congrats!

I have a Reid & Wes was the runner up name of my last baby… so I love your style!

I don’t think Rory fits - stylistically, sound or vibe. And maybe it’s just my area but it seems to have gone to the girls around here… whereas Reid & Wes feel distinctly masculine. Alfie is cool though and I like your girl names.

Here are some of my favorites including my other 2 boys name since we seem to have similar taste… I love one syllable boy names!!

Cole
Grant
Dean
Dane
Knox
Nash
Miles
Beck

Good luck!

1 Like

[name_m]Alfie[/name_m] and [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] are my favorites from your current list! I think they fit the relaxed, nickname-y vibe.
Some other suggestions… (sorry for any repeats)
[name_m]Nash[/name_m]
[name_m]Cole[/name_m]
[name_m]Beck[/name_m]
[name_m]Van[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_m]Cam[/name_m]
[name_m]Kit[/name_m]
[name_m]Flynn[/name_m]
[name_m]Grey[/name_m]
[name_m]Cal[/name_m]
[name_m]Cy[/name_m]
Art/Artie

[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Frankie[/name_f]
[name_f]Blue[/name_f]
[name_f]Birdie[/name_f]
[name_f]Hallie[/name_f]
[name_f]Romy[/name_f]
Ray/Kay/May/Jay
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Skye[/name_f]
[name_f]Sage[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]

[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_m]Clark[/name_m]
[name_m]Clay[/name_m]
[name_m]Cliff[/name_m]
[name_m]Dex[/name_m]
[name_m]Grove[/name_m]
[name_m]Locke[/name_m]
[name_m]Link[/name_m]
[name_m]Pax[/name_m]
[name_m]Vic[/name_m]

I actually think [name_m]Rory[/name_m], [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] and [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] would all work great with brothers named [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m]! The only name that would stand out a bit to me is [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], because it’s longer and a full name, but I don’t think that makes it unusable.

2 Likes

I think all the names you’ve chosen are so lovely! I have a soft spot for short boy names, so I’ll offer a few of my faves that might fit your vibe:

[name_m]Rhys[/name_m]
[name_f]Wren[/name_f]
[name_m]Dane[/name_m]
[name_m]Beau[/name_m]
[name_m]Rune[/name_m]
[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Gus[/name_m]
[name_m]Leif[/name_m]

1 Like

I really like the boys names! Honestly, I think they match extremely well (I’d say if anything, [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is the odd one out on your lists, the boys would be dead last). I’d likely go with [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] if I were you and had a boy…short, sweet, nickname-y, but still a full name, has his own first initial. If I had a girl and I were you, I’d go with [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] for the same reasons, despite liking [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] more.

I think [name_m]Rory[/name_m] and [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] sound amazing with your son’s names. Actually, I feel that your list for a boy has a very similar vibe and looks more cohesive next to your current sibset, when compared to your girls list. Despite that feeling, I quite like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] for your baby, if you have a girl.

For your 3rd child, I would suggest:
[name_f]Rue[/name_f]
[name_f]Enid[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Leni[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Maud[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Eden[/name_f]
[name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Effie[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Tris[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Dora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Tori[/name_f]
[name_f]Julie[/name_f]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Tilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Dawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Fay[/name_f]
[name_f]Halle[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Tilly[/name_f]

[name_m]Alec[/name_m]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Newt[/name_m]
[name_m]Liam[/name_m]
[name_m]Toby[/name_m]
[name_m]Lyle[/name_m]
[name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Jude[/name_m]
[name_m]Seth[/name_m]
[name_m]Fitz[/name_m]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Galen[/name_m]
[name_m]Alby[/name_m]
[name_m]Tate[/name_m]
[name_m]Eric[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_m]Harry[/name_m]
[name_m]Jack[/name_m]
[name_m]Arlo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ford[/name_m]
[name_m]Zeke[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Gael[/name_m]
[name_m]Cody[/name_m]

1 Like

I think all the names match well :slight_smile: Cute names! [name_m]Reid[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is my favorite of your boys!

1 Like

First off, I adore [name_m]Rory[/name_m] and [name_f]Scottie[/name_f]. [name_m]Super[/name_m] cute. Honestly [name_m]Alfie[/name_m] is cool too. I think they fit the short and sweet vibe you have going. [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] too. [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] isn’t a favorite of mine and does feel a little stuffy with [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m], but honestly, I don’t think a sister name has to match perfectly since she’d be the first girl.

[name_m]Reid[/name_m] isn’t quite a nickname-name so I think anything on the shorter, less common really works well.

Suggestions above that I’d love to second are: [name_m]Cal[/name_m], [name_m]Fitz[/name_m], [name_m]Beau[/name_m], [name_m]Clark[/name_m], [name_m]Nash[/name_m], [name_m]Beck[/name_m], [name_m]Knox[/name_m], [name_m]Gus[/name_m], [name_m]Ozzy[/name_m], [name_m]Finn[/name_m], [name_m]Sully[/name_m], [name_m]Bram[/name_m], [name_m]Ty[/name_m] and [name_m]Max[/name_m].

You may like (sorry for any repeats):

[name_m]Vann[/name_m]
[name_m]Jones[/name_m]
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
[name_m]Jett[/name_m]
[name_m]Archie[/name_m]
[name_m]Harris[/name_m]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_m]Riggs[/name_m]
[name_m]Ace[/name_m]
[name_m]Drew[/name_m]
[name_m]Lane[/name_m]
[name_m]Denny[/name_m]
[name_m]Jed[/name_m]
[name_m]Pax[/name_m]
[name_m]Cash[/name_m]
[name_m]Kip[/name_m]
[name_m]Bear[/name_m]
[name_m]Toby[/name_m]

[name_f]Frankie[/name_f]
[name_f]Leni[/name_f]
[name_f]Andie[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgie[/name_f]
[name_f]Edie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cami[/name_f]
[name_m]Brin[/name_m]
[name_f]Noa[/name_f]
[name_m]Jules[/name_m]
[name_f]Grier[/name_f]
[name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]

You’re not overthinking! Your thoughts are valid in the naming process.

[name_m]Reid[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]:

[name_m]Rory[/name_m] works fine, style wise, but I find it too matchy. Matchy gets more matchy the shorter the names, imo. [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and Rory… For me (and keep in mind I’m a total name nerd like the regulars here but the general public isn’t) it’s like, of all the great short names out there, why not do one that fits in the vein but stands out individually? :slight_smile:

[name_m]Alfie[/name_m] isn’t the same style as [name_m]Reid[/name_m] or [name_m]Wes[/name_m]. I think that’s okay. Our tastes do change or we have different reasons or stories behind each child’s name. It’s okay, but I wouldn’t do it. In my pickiness over sibling sets, I like the style to be the same unless there is some grand and meaningful name story behind a particular child’s name.

[name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is one of the most gorgeous names ever so she basically gets a pass from me no matter what. [name_m]Add[/name_m] to that, I do think it’s easier to go off in a new direction when you change genders. Some parents’ boy style is not their girl style and vice versa. [name_f]Imogen[/name_f] is catchy next to brothers [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m]. She sounds like the little sister.

[name_f]Scottie[/name_f] fits better. There’s something to the way our brains are wired that [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] and [name_m]Scott[/name_m] sound like men, cousins, friends, brothers, so [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] is an easy sidestep for their little sister. [name_f]Scottie[/name_f] is so on trend, too, without being crazy popular yet.

[name_m]Boy[/name_m] names in the Rory/Alfie vein while sounding good with [name_m]Reid[/name_m] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m]:
Kip/Kipling
Chet/Chester
Law/Lawrence
[name_m]Dean[/name_m]
[name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_m]Ike[/name_m]
[name_m]Luca[/name_m]
Good luck! I’d like to hear how this one turns out!

1 Like

I’m in the US and those name are never heard here. Or at least not in my state. We live in the northern part of the US.

I think Alfie feels like a nickname to us because typically people think of Alfred when they hear Alfie. So it feels like it fits the theme we have going on. Perhaps I was just overthinking it! It’s difficult to imagine a third son when you already have 2!! :joy: Someone suggested August and I really like that! We do have a friend is a friend whose in our circle that just had a baby and named him August though. So I’m not sure on the etiquette there. Right now, other than August, I can’t find a contender for Alfie. Boy names are a real struggle for me.

Someone suggested Tilly for a girl name, and I adore it!!! I like it more than Scottie I think! Imogen I still love, and am glad that I could go in a different naming style if it’s our first girl.

1 Like