4 month old's name list, day 2

So, many of you helped me yesterday trying to get my 4 month old daughter finally named. (OP here in case you missed it https://nameberry.com/nametalk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2893)
You gave me some great suggestions (though, my DH nixed most of them- which was fair, as I nixed most of his names). I really, really liked the suggestions of [name]Waverly[/name] and [name]Ruth[/name], but he just doesn’t.

We didn’t manage to get her named. We did, however, manage to reduce both of our lists (probably fifty names) to the following names.

I’m now considering the option of two middle names… one has to be [name]Miriam[/name], but I’m wondering if there’s a way you creative ladies can help put these names together?

Also- any experience with two mn’s? Does it get annoying? We also have two last names… similar to [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name]

Here’s what’s left of our list:

[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]/[name]Elthea[/name] (DH likes the full versions more than just [name]Thea[/name], I don’t, but would compromise)
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Vega[/name]
[name]Ever[/name]
[name]Jewel[/name]

Can you creative namers put together any of those with [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name] to make a lovely sounding name?

We’ve discovered we both have fairly emotional attachments to [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Lark[/name], as those are the names we both respectively think of her as. Stylistically, though, I’m not sure how to arrange those with [name]Miriam[/name], kwim?

Or, of those names ONLY, which one do you prefer? Still kind of on the fence about two mn’s… but I certainly think she has a cute tale about why so many names.

Tagain.

The other ladies here will give you much better ideas on middle names (although perhaps two with a double-barrelled is a lot, but as you say - great story!). But I just wanted to put a vote in for [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. I just love it. It has so much joy.
Good luck, and I look forward to seeing what you choose! :slight_smile:

I second the vote for [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name].

I’m a little bummed that [name]Gemma[/name] was nixed, but my vote would go for [name]Blythe[/name] as well. I also like [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Lark[/name] but finding a compromise name (since you are both more attached to one of those than the other) seems like your best bet. And perhaps [name]Lark[/name] could be a nn for whatever fn you choose? Maybe it just fits her personality.

I wouldn’t go with two middle names…esp. with your long, hyphenated last name.

A big vote for [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]

I’m bummed, too. His reasons were that if we were going to call her ‘[name]Gem[/name]’, we might as well name her [name]Jewel[/name]… and that we have a ‘G’ name already (DS, [name]Gabriel[/name]) and it would be weird to have two G names with different pns.

I nixed some of his names for sillier reasons, though, so no biggie.

I don’t think I wrote right, we’re both attached to [name]Lark[/name] and [name]Thea[/name]. [name]Thea[/name] b/c that is the name we had chosen for her prenatally and it has an awesome meaning/history. [name]Lark[/name] b/c it fits her personality… so, yes, I agree, it might be nice to find a compromise name… buuut… I really wish we could just call her [name]Thea[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (disaster, I know…)

WOW! I’m surpised so many ppl like [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]… hm… maybe that’s our winning compromise? Interested-- is it that you like [name]Blythe[/name] or that you [name]DON[/name]'T like our other names? :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure that DH really wants to name her [name]Thea[/name]. In my mind, [name]Thea[/name] is sort of lack-luster, but with a fantastic history/meaning. What do you think of [name]Blythe[/name] vs. [name]Thea[/name]?

When reading your post, I immediately liked [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], and then as I read down the other posts, I see that everyone else agrees! I [name]LOVE[/name] it! I say go for that name!
I wouldn’t use 2 middle names since you have a hyphenated last name. That’s a lot of names!!!

I think if you’re attached to [name]Thea[/name] you shouldn’t hesitate to use it. I don’t find it “boring” at all! I think having meaning and attachment to a name trumps everything else. And who cares what your family/friends think or say. She’s your little girl, you get to name her…end of story, right? :slight_smile: Personally, I would go with [name]Thea[/name] (or [name]Althea[/name] to please the hubby…you can still call her [name]Thea[/name]) in a heartbeat. Everyone’s thoughts aside its my favorite from your list anyways. I’m not sure how I feel about a double middle AND a double last, but if your heart is telling you [name]Althea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name]…I say do it!:slight_smile:

I might be alone in this, but I actually really, really like [name]Althea[/name]!

I’m not sure if I love the flow of [name]Althea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] as much as a shorter name upfront. . . but it’s certainly not bad by any stretch, and both names are beautiful ([name]Althea[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Lord[/name] flows very nicely!) and there is balance because the first name would come from her Dad and the middle from her Mom.

Overall, [name]Althea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Lord[/name] is a very lovely name!

And I don’t think I like the idea of adding an extra middle name when you already have a hyphenated last name - I think it’s just too much. Having a story is good, but she still has to live with the name :slight_smile: And besides, [name]Althea[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Lord[/name] really does NOT work.

[name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] is great! (but a compromise name is bittersweet because it really means she doesn’t get anyone’s first choice :frowning: )

[name]Lark[/name] is great nickname and does not need to be a part of her formal name. In fact, I would venture to say it would be even more special if it is something only you call her. I love my daughter’s name, and I love hearing everyone else say it, but I call her something entirely different and that is what I have called since before she was even born. What I call her is not something you’d put on a birth certificate and it’s clearly more of a term of endearment than a “name,” but that’s part of what makes it special, and it’s unique to me and her. Also, and this is just my opinion, [name]Lark[/name] is a difficult name to wear once she’s out in the world - I’d personally rather be [name]Thea[/name] or [name]Althea[/name] or [name]Blythe[/name]. [name]Lark[/name] takes a certain personality to pull off as a formal name, it doesn’t fit in everywhere, and it’s a hard name to make her own - I think it’s one of those names that will always feel more yours than hers, if that makes any sense.

Gosh, thank you so much for your thoughts- you just managed to put into words what I haven’t been able to for myself for a month.

[name]Blythe[/name] is a lovely name, but a compromise name, and, yes, bittersweet as such. That doesn’t mean we wouldn’t learn to love it, but I’m sure, at this point, we’ll always remember she was [name]Thea[/name], then [name]Vada[/name], then [name]Lark[/name], then [name]Jewel[/name]… and now she is [name]Blythe[/name] because we couldn’t agree on either of our top choices. I think that’s why I’m trying to get feedback on our name choices… when it comes down to it, I really think I want to choose between the names she has had (now narrowed to [name]Thea[/name], [name]Lark[/name], [name]Jewel[/name]) and a compromise name ([name]Blythe[/name]). The others would be additional compromises, no matter how cool. I feel like if I could learn to love [name]Thea[/name], then that would be the most happy ending… although, DH is really warming to [name]Blythe[/name] as we speak :slight_smile:

I really do wish that we could make two mn’s work, but I think you are all right that that’s too many names (which is why I’ve never considered it before)

Your thoughts on [name]Lark[/name] were exactly why she was un-named [name]Lark[/name]. It is a very hard name to pull off. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be a fantastic name, but, you’re right, it is more about us than her.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for helping me find some clarity and thanks for the opinions from all. Keep 'em coming :slight_smile:

I think I have absorbed everything and it sounds like your heart is saying, “Her name is [name]Thea[/name]”.

However, I think it should be [name]Anthea[/name] not [name]Althea[/name]. Does your husband like that name?

I am another [name]Blythe[/name] lover but you can keep that one for your next daughter!

You know what’s interesting about this? [name]Thea[/name]/[name]Althea[/name] or [name]Vada[/name] were the names we had picked for her before she was born. We picked [name]Vada[/name] after she was born and I don’t really know, when we decided we couldn’t strap her with [name]Vada[/name] really WHY we didn’t just choose [name]Thea[/name]. I think because she doesn’t feel like a [name]Thea[/name].

So, in a sense, you are right, my heart is REALLY wanting her to be [name]Thea[/name], but the reason she’s not named that is because it doesn’t feel right. I’m trying to see if I can learn to love it again like I did before she was born… it is really hard to pick a name sick and sleep deprived after having been through so much… it is hard to even hear what my heart is saying, but I think my heart is saying I wish she felt like something other than [name]Lark[/name]. She might feel like [name]Blythe[/name], though. It is a super happy pretty name with a similar feel to [name]Lark[/name], without the problems. But now I’m rambling again… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’m secretly hoping that someone can say something about [name]Thea[/name] that will make me love it again. Because, right now, I’m leaning towards [name]Blythe[/name] and I’m afraid I’ll regret the compromise for no real reason in the long run…

DH does like [name]Anthea[/name], but I personally don’t, sorry! Reminds me of Antlers.

Thanks for your help.

It is really nice, I came here for advice on which name was best and you all are helping me process through WHY in the WORLD I have a four month old with no name.

To add to it, I think one of the reasons I turned away from [name]Thea[/name] after we didn’t name her [name]Vada[/name] is because I wanted something FANTASTIC to replace it with… and, well, [name]Thea[/name] doesn’t feel fantastic to me. It feels nice, though, so maybe that’s okay?

You know what’s interesting about this? [name]Thea[/name]/[name]Althea[/name] or [name]Vada[/name] were the names we had picked for her before she was born. We picked [name]Vada[/name] after she was born and I don’t really know, when we decided we couldn’t strap her with [name]Vada[/name] really WHY we didn’t just choose [name]Thea[/name]. I think because she doesn’t feel like a [name]Thea[/name].

So, in a sense, you are right, my heart is REALLY wanting her to be [name]Thea[/name], but the reason she’s not named that is because it doesn’t feel right. I’m trying to see if I can learn to love it again like I did before she was born… it is really hard to pick a name sick and sleep deprived after having been through so much… it is hard to even hear what my heart is saying, but I think my heart is saying I wish she felt like something other than [name]Lark[/name]. She might feel like [name]Blythe[/name], though. It is a super happy pretty name with a similar feel to [name]Lark[/name], without the problems. But now I’m rambling again… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think I’m secretly hoping that someone can say something about [name]Thea[/name] that will make me love it again. Because, right now, I’m leaning towards [name]Blythe[/name] and I’m afraid I’ll regret the compromise for no real reason in the long run…

DH does like [name]Anthea[/name], but I personally don’t, sorry! Reminds me of Antlers.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Sending you hugs I feel for you.

I think one of the reasons that you like [name]Blythe[/name] is that we often say [name]Blythe[/name] spirit meaning we feel free (that’s my spin on it) and it kind of fits in with the feeling of [name]Lark[/name], a bird who is free to roam the skies.

My granddaughter’s middle name is [name]Skye[/name] which I love.

So if you can’t love [name]Thea[/name] enough can you love [name]Blythe[/name] enough? It is a great feeling to have ‘the’ name in your heart and I hope you feel that peace soon.

PS [name]Hope[/name] you can get some more sleep soon

I am going to retract my earlier vote for [name]Blythe[/name]. I think you should go with [name]Thea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] (and use [name]Lark[/name] as a potential special pet name). I’d prefer to see the first name be just [name]Thea[/name] (rather than [name]Althea[/name]). It bothers me sometimes (like when using email) and I am looking for someone, say [name]Nelly[/name] [name]Smith[/name]. I type in smithn and nothing…then I have to realize that it’s probably smithp ([name]Penelope[/name]) etc, etc. I just like the nn to reflect the actual first initial when possible. Make sense? Another option if you wanted a more formal fn for [name]Thea[/name]…how about [name]Theodocia[/name] [name]Miriam[/name], nn [name]Thea[/name] (and sometimes nn [name]Lark[/name])? Still, I think [name]Thea[/name] on its own is lovely. And the meaning is great.

Totally spaced that you have a son named [name]Gabriel[/name]…I think it’s probably best not to have another G name even though I do love [name]Gemma[/name].

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Sending you hugs I feel for you.

I think one of the reasons that you like [name]Blythe[/name] is that we often say [name]Blythe[/name] spirit meaning we feel free (that’s my spin on it) and it kind of fits in with the feeling of [name]Lark[/name], a bird who is free to roam the skies.

My granddaughter’s middle name is [name]Skye[/name] which I love.

So if you can’t love [name]Thea[/name] enough can you love [name]Blythe[/name] enough? It is a great feeling to have ‘the’ name in your heart and I hope you feel that peace soon.

PS [name]Hope[/name] you can get some more sleep soon[/quote]

Oh, thank you so much for understanding. This is so painful for me.
You are spot on with [name]Blythe[/name]- I like it because it confers the same feel as [name]Lark[/name], but is softer and less in-your-face.

Now, I don’t know how I feel about [name]Blythe[/name] vs. [name]Thea[/name], honestly. I’m going to have to give deep thought to that.

However, what does everyone think about
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name]? or
[name]Thea[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]-[name]Ford[/name]

I realize that’s a TON of names, but I can’t drop [name]Miriam[/name], it would really hurt my mom’s feelings and putting [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name] together makes me feel at peace with her name. Honestly, though, it is too many names, isn’t it? I’m just going to have to make a tough choice, probably… sigh That said, I don’t want her to have a ridiculous name because I couldn’t make a tough choice.

I tried to look with no luck- does anyone know how many names you can actually put on a birth certificate/SS card?

I agree with your opinion about [name]Thea[/name] vs. [name]Althea[/name]. That drives me nuts, too! DH likes [name]Althea[/name] better, but if we never intend to call her that, it seems unecessary to me.

You can put as many names on the birth certificate as you like, however, only part of the name will show up on the SS card - I think they limit it by characters, not number of names.

OK, deep breath. First of all, I feel like you are feeling super pressured about all of this (which I understand - people must be asking you her name all the time). But you are just trying to give this thought and love, and she’s 4 months old, she doesn’t mind. She will one day [name]LOVE[/name] how much care you and DH have given to this.

I loved [name]Blythe[/name] because it had the feeling of [name]Lark[/name] and the sound of [name]Thea[/name]. But I agree that you have to love the name. Giving her all the names you love I don’t think is the answer. So first off, if I were you, I would take the pressure off a bit. [name]Remember[/name], whatever you call her, she will fill it with personality. There is no “wrong” choice here. I like [name]Thea[/name], [name]Lark[/name] and [name]Blythe[/name], but when people meet her, they will meet, for example [name]Thea[/name], they won’t meet Not-[name]Lark[/name].

Years ago when I had a difficult choice to make, my mum’s friend told me to toss a coin. Not to follow what it told me, but she said that when option A came up instead of option B, if I felt really disappointed I would know that option B was what I really wanted. So maybe that is the approach to take. If one name HAS to come off the table, which will it be? And the one after that? Or else, try calling her [name]Thea[/name] for a few days, then [name]Blythe[/name], then [name]Lark[/name]. See what feels right. You’ll get there. And you have already given more love to naming your daughter than most people ever do.

Good luck! :slight_smile: