4th kid, 3rd boy

My husband and I are having a hard time coming up with a name for our fourth child (third boy). Our other two boys have very strong, distinct names. They are uncommon but not made up or word names. We both would like a name for this boy that fits the same bill. I’ve scoured the internet and we’ve looked through our family tree over and over, but the only name we both like is the name Rufio…yes, like in the movie Hook.

However, I am very uncertain about actually naming a child Rufio because of the date rape drug–Rohypnol, aka “roofies.” He’d probably get called Rufi on occasion just because it’s such a natural nick-name, and one that I don’t mind at all except for the one negative connotation.

Neither of us like [name_m]Rufus[/name_m] or any of the other names that would make Rufio the nick-name, and we have the same middle name for all our boys so it’s not an option to use it as a middle. I’m looking for honest feedback of what you’d think of your friend had a baby and told you they named him Rufio. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think the association with a drug is reason enough to not go for a name we both like?

[name_m]Mark[/name_m] Ruffalo, the actor who plays Hulk, came to mind for me. But roofies did not. I’m not sure I’d let either association stop me if it was the name that seemed to be calling to be used for this baby.

It honestly makes me think of Rufio from the movie Hook. I didn’t think twice about the nickname Rufi until you mentioned it.

I second this. Also, I think Rufio is really cool!

Yeah it makes me think of roofies straight away. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t do it!!!

Hello! I know this is an old post, but I’m curious to know if you went ahead with “Rufio”? We’re STRONGLY considering this name for our son!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! Yes we did! He fits the name…he’s quite wild haha. But I really like it. I still don’t love the nickname “Rufi” that some people call him, but it doesn’t bother me too much. We call him by his full name, and every now and again I will call him [name_m]Fio[/name_m]. Go for it!!

5 Likes

This is a very wholesome update, I love seeing stuff like this! :heart: I’m glad to hear that you followed your heart & it sounds like it was very much the right decision!

2 Likes