5 days old - no name

Hello!
I have a 5 day old baby boy ([name_u]New[/name_u] Years eve baby) and can’t seem to decide on a name. [name_f]Every[/name_f] day that goes by it gets harder to decide. He is also my fourth and final baby and I think that is contributing to my anxiety to get it exactly right. I won’t be naming another baby again.

The names I thought I would choose between don’t seem to suit him even though I really still love the names and can’t find anything I like better.

Do you think babies can grow into a name? I’m not feeling connected to anything when I look at him.

What would you name a little olive skinned, brunette baby boy? I like names that aren’t too popular, but are familiar sounding and easy to spell. I also tend to lean towards cute sounding names or nature names.

River was my top choice for him but it now feels a bit too serious for such a cute little guy! I know he won’t always be a cute baby but I’m trying to find something that’s a happy medium.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Congratulations on your baby boy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I listened to a lovely podcast recently, featuring a lady who had named her little boy river. She said when she was naming him she pictured a child like the calm, bubbling water she imagined. She said that her son turned out to be a real force of nature, more of a wild water rapids type of a kid!
Yes, I believe children can grow into their names, or that the name lends itself to them :slight_smile:
Wishing you all the best for finding peace of mind in his name.

4 Likes

I had a baby in a June and I will say ai think a baby can grow into a name. For the first few months I think I called him nicknames before his name really clicked to me. If you want you could create a poll of the names you had and people can vote but I will say if those are the names you love I’d would keep with those as your short list. I don’t think getting a brainstorm from us will help at this point.

Congratulations!

3 Likes

I agree with everything the previous posters said, but I’d like to add that if [name_u]River[/name_u] feels too ‘‘serious’’ for him right now, what about a cute nickname? [name_u]Rio[/name_u], [name_f]Rivvy[/name_f], or something with his middle name like [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] ‘‘RJ’’ maybe.
That said, it’s only been a few days since your pregnancy, which is super stressful. The name may feel more right to you once things calm down a tiny bit! You don’t have to rush with naming him if you’re still uncertain.
Cute boy names that would also age well:
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u] ‘‘[name_u]Gus[/name_u]/Gussie/Augie’’
[name_u]Archer[/name_u] ‘‘[name_m]Archie[/name_m]’’
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_u]Freddie[/name_u]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u] (or [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] and [name_m]Finnian[/name_m] ‘‘[name_u]Finn[/name_u]’’)
[name_m]Franklin[/name_m]
[name_m]Harvey[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]
[name_u]Percy[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] ‘‘[name_u]Sully[/name_u]’’
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_u]Toby[/name_u] or [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] ‘‘[name_u]Toby[/name_u]’’

2 Likes

Congratulations! Yes, I think some babies grow into their names especially if they’re more “grown-up” sounding. I like [name_u]River[/name_u] as well. Here are some names I think are cute or with cute nicknames:

Tobias (“[name_u]Toby[/name_u]”)
[name_u]Tate[/name_u]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] (“[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]”)
[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

1 Like

I think a baby can grow into a name and for what it’s worth, I think River is cute

Ezra
Wren
Harley
Micah
Curtis
Kit
Rosen
Ronan
Elliott
Arlo
Sage
Remy
Jesse
Bowie
Bo
Billy
Ozzie

2 Likes

I really love nature names too. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite boys names that aren’t too popular are…

River :slightly_smiling_face:
[name_m]Ryland[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ry[/name_m]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_u]Brooks[/name_u]
[name_m]Hart[/name_m]
[name_m]Ford[/name_m]
[name_m]Radley[/name_m]

1 Like

I firmly believe a baby can grow into their name. What I would do is try and narrow it down to your final three and go from there. Sometimes there can be too much choice out there which can elevate naming anxiety.

4 Likes

I definitely believe a baby can grow into a name and think if you love it you should go for it. In saying that, here are some other names for you:

Jasper
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_u]Remy[/name_u]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucian[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Atlas[/name_u]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Oskar[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Elio[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Orion[/name_u]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Orson[/name_m]
[name_u]Rex[/name_u]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Soren[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspar[/name_m]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_u]Kit[/name_u]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Maxim[/name_m]
[name_u]Axel[/name_u]
[name_u]Milo[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_m]Rufus[/name_m]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Bowie[/name_u]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_m]Monty[/name_m]

1 Like

I wouldn’t say a baby grows into a name. It’s more that he makes the name his first and foremost. For all of the people in his life, he will personify the name.

3 Likes

I agree with everything that has already been said but my suggestions are:

Cove
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_u]Oleander[/name_u]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Caetano[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Rafael[/name_m]
[name_u]Cadence[/name_u]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (means bear)
[name_m]Bear[/name_m]
[name_u]Fox[/name_u]
[name_f]Otter[/name_f]

1 Like

My daughter was just called baby bear for the first three months…and then I called her baby G, then a nickname and finally her full name. Now (at 3) her name is most certainly hers with zero doubts.
Some names that I like that might fall into cute or nature territory:
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Shepherd[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u] (okay neither, but it always reminds me of [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] [name_f]Otter[/name_f], famous muppet jug band member)
[name_u]Glen[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]

2 Likes

I think kids can grow into their names, but if it feels wrong I’d trust your gut. What are your older kids’ names?

1 Like

I like [name_u]River[/name_u]. Riv would be a cute baby nickname.

What other names are on your list? What are your other children’s names?

1 Like

If you love [name_u]River[/name_u] I’d say keep it! We had Icem, an unusual family name set and he is 100% an Icem because that is his name :woman_shrugging:t2:

I do love [name_m]Ridge[/name_m] though! A fun outdoors name. I know a young child who wears the name well!
Others:
[name_u]Brooks[/name_u]
[name_m]Crew[/name_m]
[name_u]Beck[/name_u]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u]
[name_u]Hunter[/name_u]
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Revel[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_m]Huck[/name_m]
[name_u]Hayes[/name_u]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]
[name_u]Archer[/name_u]
[name_m]Colt[/name_m]
[name_m]Ford[/name_m]
[name_m]Gunnar[/name_m]

Luck!!

1 Like

Congratulations on your little guy!!
I personally have had 4 children, and I had this exact issue with my eldest. I felt her name seemed a bit grown up for a little girl, but now I’m so glad I named her that, because it really fits her, and she’s definitely grown into it.

I love [name_u]River[/name_u] as a name! I saw a suggestion above saying you could call him ‘Riv’ or ‘[name_f]Rivvy[/name_f]’ or pair it with a middle name like ‘[name_u]James[/name_u]’ and call him RJ.

If you’re still now sure about [name_u]River[/name_u], how about:
[name_u]Ryder[/name_u]/Riley “[name_m]Ry[/name_m]”
[name_u]Ocean[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]/Finnian/Finnegan “[name_u]Finn[/name_u]”
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u] “[name_u]James[/name_u]”
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Beckham[/name_m] “[name_u]Beck[/name_u]”
[name_u]Oliver[/name_u] “[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]”
[name_m]Harlen[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m] “[name_u]Zeke[/name_u]”
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_u]Avery[/name_u] “[name_f]Ave[/name_f]”
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]/Corbyn “[name_u]Corby[/name_u], Corbs”
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] “[name_u]Kai[/name_u]”
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]/Judas “[name_u]Jude[/name_u]”
[name_u]Remington[/name_u] “[name_u]Remi[/name_u]”
[name_u]Cove[/name_u]
[name_m]Bowen[/name_m] “[name_u]Bowie[/name_u]”
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] these help!

2 Likes

I think you would end up regretting it if you didn’t give your son the name you love- especially if I’m say 6 or 12 months time you think they have grown into the name you loved but you had given them a different one instead.

Having said that, if you really really don’t want to call this particular child [name_u]River[/name_u] any more- even though in the abstract you love the name- perhaps you should trust your instinct and pick something else.

Sorry that wasn’t very useful was it :weary: I’d focus on how you think you’ll feel 1 year, 5 years, 10 years from now if you did call your son [name_u]River[/name_u] and if you didn’t call your son [name_u]River[/name_u] and go from there.

2 Likes

So many gorgeous suggestions above that I won’t add any more, as I imagine you’re already quite overwhelmed with new parenthood and this name uncertainty!

For what it’s worth, I don’t find [name_u]River[/name_u] too serious a name at all. I find it sweet and easygoing and effortlessly cool, with a fresh, youthful, bohemian vibe. I love it and I second everyone who has said that babies change so much in the first few weeks and months, a name that doesn’t fit a tiny little newborn may well suit perfectly the boisterous 1-year-old, preschooler, teenager, grown adult he’ll grow into.

Congratulations and best of luck! Enjoy your cute little bundle :baby:

2 Likes

Babies easily grow into names — Try out a cute nickname when they are little! [name_u]Ever[/name_u] consider something that means river, like [name_u]Rio[/name_u], for example?

1 Like

Each of my kids have elaborate names, and with my first, it was hard to call such a tiny baby by such a bold moniker. For a while, I mostly used nicknames and pet names, but within a few months, her name felt normal. Now, at 3, she primarily goes by her full first name.

1 Like