#5 for our spunky/literary family

WOW, I go to sleep for a couple of hours (…only a couple. i can only imagine how sleep deprived i’ll be when this little bugger comes along—really soon actually!), and come back to these amazing suggestions! You guys are terrific! here goes another long post:
[name]Lemon[/name]:
[name]Colette[/name] is definitely one of our top choices at the moment. I just did some research on Sido ([name]Sidonie[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] [name]Colette[/name]), and she is quite the woman. Seems to be one of the first women activists! Exactly the type to name a duaghter after! I kinda fear though, that [name]Colette[/name] is still really different then [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name] and [name]Juniper[/name]. I guess none of their names are in the top 1000 though (including [name]Colette[/name]) - which makes us happy! My heart is still throbbing over [name]Coco[/name] though - and your suggestion od [name]Colette[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] is outstanding! But i want something a little more fun in there! For some reason we are still really drawn to [name]Clemency[/name] - I find it quite fem and fun + spunky (which is what were all about!). I guess it’s even more fem since there is an all girls private school in our neighboorhood “St. [name]Clements[/name]” so it makes it feel more feminine to us. I don’t think were wuite sold on [name]Eloise[/name] just yet, but it is still up there. But i do love your [name]Romilly[/name] suggestion! [name]Love[/name] it as a first name!

As for boys, [name]Willoughby[/name] “[name]Wilkie[/name]”, [name]Ignatius[/name] “[name]Nate[/name]” (but ca’nt decide if thats to common), [name]Everett[/name] “[name]Rhett[/name]”, [name]Benedict[/name] are all first name contenders. We arent as in love with an of them as we are with the girls though. [name]Wolfgang[/name] is probably one of our fave names for middles, along with [name]Huckleberry[/name] (You’re right - so cool), Paddington, (and any other “first name option” we don’t use).

Ps: You are so right about [name]Montgomery[/name]! I guess since its such a distinctively masculine name the thought never crossed our mind. I think its safe to say thought that he isn’t one of our contenders.

Kmorri: Thanks! I really love [name]Summer[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] as well! Definitely one of our top choices.

Tuppence42: yes! I did my research abot [name]Sidonie[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name] [name]Colette[/name] and she is one crazy woman. Fits right in with our family i guess :lol: I think we’ll have to make sure we watch [name]Gigi[/name] and [name]Cheri[/name]! Thanks!

Kyemsma: [name]Summer[/name] [name]Lennox[/name], as i said above, we are seriously considering! And [name]Willoughby[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name] is great - thanks for those! I like the name [name]Henry[/name] - but it’s just too common for us!

[name]Annabelle[/name]: Gald you love our names - thans so much! [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] is great! Thanks! I think our fave middle name for a boy is [name]Wolfgang[/name], we think its totally cool too! From your suggestions, [name]Felix[/name] is really cool maybe too themey with [name]Beatrix[/name] though. [name]Eliot[/name] is great - but i hear it’s going to the girls? ANd [name]Sebastian[/name] is cool too - we’ve thought about it, but we do know 2 Sebastians already which throws us off the name! AS for girls, [name]Autumn[/name] is cool - reminds me of [name]Autumn[/name] Reeser (you know…the girl who played [name]Taylor[/name] on The OC (my once guilty pleasure before kids!)). [name]Blue[/name] is super fun, as is [name]Scout[/name] - plus it has literary ties! I’ve always loved [name]Anais[/name], so exotic, but [name]FItz[/name] really dislikes it for some reason. Bummer.

Pacergirl31: [name]Tennyson[/name] is one we forgot about. Thanks!

Sugarbear: [name]Eulalie[/name] is so sweet! Really close to [name]Tallulah[/name] though - a great middle name though! Thanks so much!

Marciabr: Yeah, I agree with you and think [name]Lennox[/name] is totally fem as well! [name]Lennox[/name] Carraway is really cool - but i do see the idea of having a really fem middle name if i went with [name]Lennox[/name] - i guess [name]Annabel[/name] would fit the bill!

Jacqua: [name]How[/name] could i have forgotten about [name]Lilias[/name]! Amazing! I think you’re right though - it would have to stick in the middle! Thanks so much! One of the top middle contenders!

[name]Jac[/name],

See, I think you’ve created such a pleasing and balanced sibling set with very different styles ([name]Tallulah[/name] is light and feminine, [name]Beatrix[/name] is whimsical and vintage, [name]Juniper[/name] is spunky and natural, and [name]Hawthorne[/name] is strong and rugged) that adding a romantic, elegant, French name like [name]Colette[/name] doesn’t feel weird to me. Plus, “victory of the people” is a great meaning! I think that the addition of the vintage, feminine [name]Cordelia[/name], also with a superb meaning, balances the name with a mix of modern glam and vintage sweetness - neither [name]Colette[/name] nor [name]Cordelia[/name] are in the Top 1000, which is just a bonus! [name]Colette[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Coco[/name]” feels very spunky and fresh, yet pleasingly romantic and vintage (much like [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]India[/name], actually), so I still like it a lot. Despite what I consider to be a rather peculiar meaning, I do adore the sound and melody of [name]Clemency[/name], and I think melody is every bit as much important as anything else when considering a name. [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], and [name]Clemency[/name] do feel “right” together, and [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] has a pleasing ring to it. I forgot what your intended nickname for [name]Clemency[/name] was, since [name]Clem[/name] is less than sparkly, but I’m still feeling [name]Cleo[/name] - in fact, [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Cleo[/name]” seems like a natural fit with your kids’ names, and [name]Ophelia[/name] adds a touch of glamor and intrigue to the virtuous [name]Clemency[/name]. Oh, and I also love [name]Romilly[/name] as a first name, simply because the spunky [name]Romy[/name] and the classic [name]Milly[/name] are ideal nicknames. With a strong literary name in the middle, it could be great! Now, I’m trying to somehow honor your favorite, The [name]Secret[/name] Garden, but [name]Romilly[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] is a bit surname-y, and [name]Romilly[/name] [name]Mary[/name] has less than ideal flow. Hey, are you a fan of all [name]Frances[/name] [name]Hodgson[/name] [name]Burnett[/name] novels or just The [name]Secret[/name] Garden? I’m a big A [name]Little[/name] [name]Princess[/name] fan, too - my mom read it to me when I was younger - and [name]Romilly[/name] [name]Sara[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Romy[/name]” is a pleasing balance of unique and classic. I also think [name]Frances[/name] is great as a middle name, and it works to even out [name]Romilly[/name]'s uniqueness - [name]Romilly[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Romy[/name],” perhaps? But, actually, the point to my A [name]Little[/name] [name]Princess[/name] story was [name]Crewe[/name] - I think that’s a great one, more for a boy than a girl, but isn’t it neat?

As for other people’s comments, I do love the sound of [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] [name]Gardner[/name]. It’s quite spunky and fresh! I prefer it to [name]Summer[/name] [name]Lennox[/name], and I can’t remember what [name]Summer[/name]'s intended nickname was, honestly. [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Sunny[/name]” is cute. I know you were talking about The OC - your TV guilty pleasure, huh? - before with [name]Autumn[/name], which made me wonder if that explains some of your attraction to [name]Summer[/name] as well. And, whoever suggested [name]Lilias[/name], it is truly divine. [name]Jac[/name], I think that would be a great middle name for you, and I’m brainstorming on her perfect first name - [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Lilias[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Sunday[/name]”? Too sweet, maybe? Hm. That’s something I want to ponder…

I must admit that I’m slightly less enthused by your boy options, too. What can we do to change that? I think [name]Willoughby[/name] “[name]Wilkie[/name]” is fun but not quite as strong as [name]Hawthorne[/name] “[name]Hawk[/name].” [name]Ignatius[/name] “[name]Nate[/name]” is vintage and spectacular, but [name]Nate[/name] is more common as a nickname, whereas [name]Iggy[/name] feels a little young. [name]Everett[/name] “[name]Rhett[/name]” might be my favorite with its strong, masculine sound and handsome literary nickname, but he’d need something a little less serious in the middle - [name]Everett[/name] [name]Wolfgang[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] sounds rather studly, whereas [name]Everett[/name] Paddington [name]Gardner[/name] feels a little sweeter and [name]Everett[/name] [name]Huckleberry[/name] might be a bit more adventurous but still ruggedly masculine, like [name]Hawk[/name]'s name. I love all three, and [name]Everett[/name] “[name]Rhett[/name]” is my favorite. I agree that with a lighter first name, something like [name]Fitzgerald[/name] would be a great middle name, but with something more serious, [name]Tennyson[/name] is a fun one!

Okay, more for boys. I just thought of [name]Seneca[/name] - I knew one growing up! - and I think it would be really neat with your bunch of names. [name]Seneca[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name] would be quite handsome, as I think he needs something strong in the middle, but [name]Seneca[/name] [name]Wolfgang[/name] is strong and playful! What would you call a [name]Seneca[/name], though? The one I knew didn’t use a nickname, as far as I can tell, but [name]Sen[/name]? I actually kind of like that, myself. And, then, [name]Romeo[/name]! Or, is that too romantic for you, maybe too tied to The [name]Beckham[/name]'s, perhaps? I think [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], and [name]Romeo[/name] is pretty cool, but I’m wondering if [name]Hawthorne[/name] and [name]Romeo[/name] are too opposite in terms of their images. [name]Romeo[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name] is nice, though, as is [name]Romeo[/name] [name]Everett[/name]. [name]Romy[/name] or [name]Rome[/name] for nicknames? Okay, so I didn’t do so well with name suggestions - sorry…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS SORRY FOR THE NOVEL, GUYS!

Great names! My only other suggestion is [name]Tennyson[/name].
Good luck!

Hey [name]Lemon[/name],
Ok. So [name]Colette[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Gardner[/name], i see your point. But it is still felling stuffy to us - we love [name]Colette[/name] but not [name]Cordelia[/name]. [name]How[/name] about:
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Coco[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Coral[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Cosima[/name] - all the above as to easily get [name]Coco[/name]. But, i would stil use [name]Coco[/name] even without a “Co” middle name.
[name]Colette[/name] Somerset
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Clemency[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Honoria[/name]
[name]Colette[/name] [name]Luella[/name] - still not loving anything.

[name]Clemency[/name] does have the right feeling were looking for. [name]Cleo[/name] from [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] is outstanding! Definitely going on the list. But i also like the nn Cici from [name]Clemency[/name]. [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] sounds really fun to us aswell. [name]Fitz[/name] loves [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Lilias[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] too !

[name]Crewe[/name] is fab-u-lous! [name]Hawthorne[/name] & [name]Crewe[/name]. [name]LOVE[/name] IT! Did my research on this name as well, its a town in [name]England[/name] plus it reminds me of J [name]Crew[/name], and [name]Crew[/name] neck clothing. No nick name though…which i don’t think bugs me too much. [name]Crewe[/name] Paddington [name]Gardner[/name], [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Huckleberry[/name] [name]Gardner[/name], [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Wolfgang[/name] unfortunately i don’t think flows properly (same with [name]Willoughby[/name]…bummer. What do you think? Are W names possible?), [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Everett[/name] [name]Gardner[/name], [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Archibald[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] is my favorite i think, or even [name]Archibald[/name] [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Gardner[/name]! :!:

[name]Seneca[/name] would be interesting but it’s a college in our city so it unfortunately won’t work, and [name]Romeo[/name] we would consider as a middle but i think we have some better options.

Also came across [name]Juliet[/name] nn [name]Jetta[/name]. Fun, but yet again a J name. hmph.

[name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name] & [name]Colette[/name] “[name]Coco[/name]”
[name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name] & [name]Clemency[/name] “Cici”
[name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name] & [name]Crewe[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name] & [name]Archibald[/name] “[name]Archie[/name]”
(apparently we are liking the C names)

Oh, [name]Jac[/name], I’d still use [name]Coco[/name] for [name]Colette[/name] without a Co- middle name, too! Alright, [name]Colette[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] is too stuffy - I can appreciate that. I see you’re not loving anything so far, and my favorite is [name]Colette[/name] [name]Cosima[/name], but you hit something with [name]Colette[/name] [name]Coral[/name] for me - I don’t care for [name]Coral[/name], but [name]Colette[/name] [name]Coraline[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “[name]Coco[/name]” would be really spunky and cute! I know it’s rather modern (2002) for you all, but [name]Coraline[/name] is a novella, so it does have a literary tie. I just think it’s fun, and it might be my favorite [name]Colette[/name] option thus far. What do you think?

I’m glad you like [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] “[name]Cleo[/name],” because I thought it was right up your alley. [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] is pretty, too, but I think it has a lot of “eh” sound to it, which I don’t love. [name]Clemency[/name] [name]Lilias[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] “Cece” is very, very pretty, though. I really like that one - good work, [name]Fitz[/name]!

Aw, you love [name]Crewe[/name]? It’s a town in [name]England[/name]? [name]How[/name] did I miss that? I used to live in [name]England[/name] when I was a little girl. Anyway, yea, it reminds me of crew-necks and J [name]Crew[/name], too, but [name]Crewe[/name] doesn’t really have a nickname. You could do an initial nickname for him, like C.J., if you found the right middle name, or he could just be [name]Crewe[/name], which I think is fine, or maybe C? I’m thinking of really silly things you could call him, like [name]Crew[/name] Cuts - the kids’ line at J [name]Crew[/name]! - or Crouton or something equally ridiculous. I sort of like them, though. Ha! [name]Crewe[/name] is difficult to match, yes, but I think he goes best with [name]Crewe[/name] Paddington, myself, even though a vowel names seems more appropriate, flow-wise. I don’t like the flow of [name]Archibald[/name] with [name]Gardner[/name] or else I’d be all over that one! Something like [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Stevenson[/name] - for [name]Robert[/name] [name]Louis[/name] [name]Stevenson[/name] ([name]Treasure[/name] Island) - seems handsome to me, or maybe [name]Crewe[/name] Collodi - for [name]Carlo[/name] Collodi (The Adventures of Pinocchio) - or even [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Barrie[/name] - for J.M. [name]Barrie[/name] ([name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name]) - or perhaps [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Kensington[/name], honoring [name]Kensington[/name] Gardens in [name]Peter[/name] [name]Pan[/name]? Hm. [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Theodor[/name], for Dr. Seuss, would be playful and vintage, as well! Are you familiar with the [name]Tom[/name] Swift novels by [name]Victor[/name] Appleton? I love [name]Crewe[/name] Appleton [name]Gardner[/name], actually! I think there’s lots you could do with [name]Crewe[/name] if you wanted to…

You are seeming to like the C names! I think [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], and [name]Colette[/name] ([name]Lula[/name], [name]Bea[/name], [name]Juni[/name], [name]Hawk[/name], and [name]Coco[/name]) is amazing, and [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], and [name]Clemency[/name] ([name]Lula[/name], [name]Bea[/name], [name]Juni[/name], [name]Hawk[/name], and Cece) would probably be my second choice, because it is honestly fabulous, too. I just think [name]Colette[/name] sounds a little jazzier and more grown-up, but [name]Coco[/name] makes it light and playful. I still think there is something off about the flow of [name]Archibald[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] - is it those D’s, maybe? - so I think [name]Tallulah[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], and [name]Crewe[/name] is really fun. Lots to think about! I’ll let you know if I have any more boy ideas for you!

[name]Jac[/name],

[name]Just[/name] thought of another one - Orwell, for [name]George[/name], of course. Maybe he could be called [name]Orly[/name] (Orwell Dostoevsky, perhaps, or is that too much?)! I’m also a bit of an [name]Aldous[/name] [name]Huxley[/name] (Brave New World) fan, and [name]Huxley[/name] sounds really cool with [name]Gardner[/name] - because it’s another H name, I think it would be best as a middle name. [name]Salinger[/name] is also a great author - I’d recommend basically anything from The Catcher in the [name]Rye[/name], honestly! A really bold choice would be [name]Kerouac[/name], and I guess he’d be called [name]Kerry[/name], right? Yea, that might be too much. I really don’t know how Dickens has been passed up, and Dickens would not be a good choice, but one of my favorites from [name]Charles[/name] Dickens is Great Expectations - [name]Philip[/name] “[name]Pip[/name]” is just incredible in my opinion. I love [name]Pip[/name] as a nickname!

L

I thought of a couple of more ideas for boys names for you:

[name]Griffith[/name] nn [name]Griff[/name] ([name]Shakespeare[/name])
[name]Inigo[/name] ([name]Princess[/name] [name]Bride[/name])
[name]Larkin[/name] (poet)
[name]Oberon[/name] nn [name]Obie[/name] or [name]Bear[/name] ([name]Shakespeare[/name])
[name]Riordan[/name] nn [name]Rio[/name] ([name]Don[/name]”t know if there is a literary connection but I love the nn [name]Rio[/name])

If you’re still looking for more ways to get to the [name]Coco[/name] nickname here are a few more options. I can’t make a good way for these to work with [name]Colette[/name], but maybe you’ll see something in these.

[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Callisto[/name]
[name]Calypso[/name]
[name]Cameo[/name]
[name]Cairo[/name]
[name]Catriona[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
Corbeau
[name]Morocco[/name]
[name]Nicole[/name]
[name]Socorra[/name]

Previous poster’s suggestion of [name]Catriona[/name] (ka-TREE-na) is divine. And a great way to honor [name]Robert[/name] [name]Louis[/name] [name]Stevenson[/name]!

L

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Cosette[/name] “[name]Coco[/name]” ([name]Les[/name] Miserables)?

[name]Thessaly[/name] ([name]Neil[/name] Gaiman, Sandman)
[name]Elspeth[/name] “[name]Elsie[/name]” (Lackey)
[name]Adelaida[/name] “[name]Laidy[/name]” (Dostoyevsky)
[name]Magnolia[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]” (Ferber)
[name]Philippa[/name] “[name]Pippa[/name]” ([name]Gregory[/name])
[name]Honoria[/name] “[name]Nora[/name]” (Dickens)
[name]Romola[/name] “[name]Romy[/name]” ([name]Eliot[/name])

[name]Leander[/name] “[name]Anders[/name]” ([name]Cheever[/name])
[name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Red[/name]” ([name]Austen[/name])

Your kids names are great! I like [name]Montgomery[/name] and [name]Willoughby[/name]. [name]Monte[/name] is the coolest nn ever imo, but [name]Willoughby[/name] “[name]Wills[/name]” would be super cute too. There is something about [name]Hawk[/name] and [name]Monte[/name] for brothers though that just sounds superp. For girls I like both [name]Willow[/name] and [name]Summer[/name], but I think they might be a little to common in comparison to your other kids names. [name]Colette[/name] “[name]Coco[/name]” seems like the perfect match. I dont think you need another ‘Co’ mn either, [name]Coco[/name] can be a nn for [name]Colette[/name] as is.

Others girls suggestions:
[name]Azalea[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]- Another [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde inspiration
[name]Gwendolen[/name]- and another…
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]

[name]Balthazar[/name] - The perfect fit w [name]Hawk[/name]
[name]Bartholomew[/name]- nn bart I dont like
[name]Bartlett[/name]- ditto
[name]Clifford[/name] - its nice on its own but [name]Cliff[/name] and [name]Hawk[/name]? [name]Hawk[/name] has a way better name
[name]Sawyer[/name] - not too common but kind of uninteresting
[name]Benedict[/name] - love the name but nn [name]Ben[/name] is not
[name]Clemency[/name] - agree I don’t like [name]Clem[/name]. I don’t really understand nn I would just use the entire name
[name]Honoria[/name] - super cute
[name]Ophelia[/name] - nice
Boleyn - nn bo its cute
[name]Blanche[/name] - um ok
Somerset - like better than summer
[name]Viola[/name]- as a middle name its nice

[name]Lemon[/name], yes! I too also thought of [name]Salinger[/name]! But the nn [name]Sal[/name] through me off, since i know it will be turned into [name]Sally[/name] which is a no go for a little guy - espceially compared to the super buff [name]Hawk[/name]! Plus, the -er isn’t flowing with [name]Gardner[/name]. Fitzy-man (he’d probably be angry knowing im calling him this on here :stuck_out_tongue: ) is IN [name]LOVE[/name] with [name]Crewe[/name], as I am! Definitely our top choice right now. Plus, its slightly foolish, but i can SO see myself calling him our “little [name]Crewe[/name]-ton” - so adorable :!: But you got me thinking [name]Lemon[/name] with your previous [name]Montgomery[/name] response, how i would use it on a boy but not [name]Lennox[/name]. Maybe you’re right…thats kinda pretentious. [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] [name]Gardner[/name]? What a stud. [name]Crewe[/name] Paddington [name]Gardner[/name] is still fab too. [name]Philip[/name] “[name]Pip[/name]” is really cute - but really not digging [name]Philip[/name].

Jacqua, thanks for the other ideas! [name]Griffith[/name] is studly, and can’t get on board with [name]Inigo[/name] with an [name]India[/name] already. [name]Riordan[/name] is a cool option too, and [name]Rio[/name] would be fun since [name]Fitz[/name] and I have actually visited there. Unfortunately not loving any of the “Co” suggestions…maybe i’m just finding another Co with [name]Colette[/name] is a little harsh.

[name]Serendipity[/name], yes the way we go to [name]Colette[/name] is through [name]Cosette[/name], so great idea! [name]Thessaly[/name] is really interesting - is it [name]Tessa[/name]-lee or do you pronounce the h? WE love [name]Honoria[/name] too, but aren’t loving that its another H name! Wow, never thought of [name]Red[/name] as a nn for [name]Frederick[/name], thats really fun too!

Leah_9, I too liked [name]Montgomery[/name] “[name]Monte[/name]”, but then it was pointed out that when it was put with out last name ([name]Gardner[/name]) it sounded too much like a law firm. [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Azalea[/name], i’ve always thought it was so fun, plus [name]Zale[/name] would be such a fun nn! Hmm…thanks for pointing this one out! [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Bea[/name], [name]Juni[/name], [name]Hawk[/name] & [name]Zale[/name]…kinda fun no?

oops! left you out Merylp. Thanks for your thoughts on the new list of names! [name]Balthazar[/name] i thought was fun too. [name]Fitz[/name] isn’t completely on board jsut yet. He is really loving [name]Crewe[/name]. Maybe [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Balthazar[/name] [name]Gardener[/name]! Thats kind of amazing! What do you think about [name]Clemency[/name] with the nn Cece? Much better then [name]Clem[/name] no? I wish [name]Honoria[/name] wasn’t another H name, or else i would totally use it!

[name]Jac[/name],

[name]Crewe[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] sounds like a little stud, for sure. With [name]Hawthorne[/name] Wilde being a combination of two strong, rugged authorial surnames, I think it makes perfect sense for another boy to have two strong surnames - in this case, character surnames. Honestly, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that [name]Crewe[/name] ([name]Sara[/name]) and [name]Lennox[/name] ([name]Mary[/name]) both reference female characters because the names are so very strong. I also like that [name]Hawthorne[/name] Wilde and [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] both have the same number of syllables - they’re shorter than your girls’ names. I really like this name!

(Also, [name]Montague[/name] instead of [name]Montgomery[/name]? Lessens the law firm effect, I think. Less wonderful flow, though…)

Okay, so you just aren’t on board with any of the Co- Co- names is what I’m getting. I was really thinking [name]Colette[/name] [name]Coraline[/name] would work, but I think that perhaps a more natural name might work, or maybe another place name like [name]India[/name]? [name]Both[/name] [name]Lula[/name] and [name]Juni[/name] have nature names, so perhaps [name]Colette[/name] could be paired with a place name. [name]Thessaly[/name] [THES-uh-lee] is in Greece, and it was actually known as Aeolia before the Greek Dark Ages - it appears in [name]Homer[/name]'s Odyssey as such. However, [name]Colette[/name] [name]Thessaly[/name] really isn’t doing it for me - what about you? I think a more classic place name would be fitting, right? [name]Alabama[/name], [name]Aragon[/name] (hey, you considered Boleyn!), [name]Caledonia[/name], [name]Charleston[/name], [name]Genoa[/name], [name]Romany[/name], or [name]Vienna[/name], perhaps? Or, to honor [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name], perhaps [name]Colette[/name] [name]Verona[/name] or [name]Cosette[/name] [name]Verona[/name]? Pretty! I must say I’ve always had a bit of a thing for [name]Caledonia[/name], though, which is the Latin name for [name]Scotland[/name].

I like [name]Crewe[/name] [name]Gardner[/name] and my suggestion for a mn is [name]Franklin[/name] from [name]Miles[/name] [name]Franklin[/name] who wrote “My Brilliant Career”

[name]Crewe[/name] [name]Franklin[/name] [name]Gardner[/name].

I like [name]Louisa[/name] from “[name]Little[/name] Women”

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] [name]Gardner[/name]

Jacfitz, you guys sound like us. DH is an English prof and I’m in business, but also majored in lit.

Of the names you posted, I like [name]Wolfgang[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] the best. [name]Archibald[/name] and [name]Summer[/name] are second. I disagree that [name]Summer[/name] is too “dated.” What does that even mean? [name]Ethyl[/name] may be dated, [name]Summer[/name] is fine.

If you do want more literary names, I can come up with a stockpile. I sway toward more classic names, so I’ll just throw the kitchen sink at ya :wink: I’m sure I’ll come up with more later, these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head at this absurdly late hour:

[name]Beckett[/name] ([name]Samuel[/name] [name]Beckett[/name])
[name]Byron[/name]* ([name]Lord[/name] [name]Byron[/name])
[name]Conrad[/name] ([name]Joseph[/name] [name]Conrad[/name])
[name]Cormac[/name] ([name]Cormac[/name] [name]McCarthy[/name])
[name]Faulkner[/name] ([name]William[/name] [name]Faulkner[/name])
[name]Finnegan[/name] ([name]Finnegan[/name]'s Wake, [name]James[/name] [name]Joyce[/name])
[name]Ford[/name] ([name]Ford[/name] [name]Madox[/name] [name]Ford[/name])
[name]Langston[/name] ([name]Langston[/name] [name]Hughes[/name])
[name]Lawrence[/name] (D.H. [name]Lawrence[/name])
[name]Madox[/name] ([name]Ford[/name] [name]Madox[/name] [name]Ford[/name])
[name]Manfred[/name] ([name]Manfred[/name], [name]Lord[/name] [name]Byron[/name])
[name]Marlow[/name]** (Heart of Darkness, [name]Lord[/name] [name]Jim[/name], Youth, [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Conrad[/name])
[name]Tennessee[/name] ([name]Tennessee[/name] [name]Williams[/name])
[name]William[/name] [name]Carlos[/name] ([name]William[/name] [name]Carlos[/name] [name]Williams[/name])

[name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Lee[/name] ([name]Annabel[/name] [name]Lee[/name], [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Poe[/name])
[name]Calliope[/name] (the Greek muse of poetry)
[name]Cordelia[/name]* ([name]King[/name] Lear, [name]Shakespeare[/name])
[name]Eudora[/name] ([name]Eudora[/name] Welty)
[name]Lenore[/name] (The [name]Raven[/name], [name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Poe[/name])
[name]Maisie[/name] (What [name]Maisie[/name] Knew, [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name])
[name]Shelley[/name] ([name]Percy[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] [name]Shelley[/name])
[name]Tess[/name] ([name]Tess[/name] of the D’Urbervilles, [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Hardy[/name])
[name]Thalia[/name] (the Greek muse of comedy)
[name]Zelda[/name] ([name]Zelda[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name])
[name]Zora[/name] ([name]Zora[/name] [name]Neale[/name] Hurston)

*These are my fave literary names and I’ll probably end up using them for my own kids.
**[name]Marlow[/name] is very uncommon but is now being co-opted as a girl’s name! GRR!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jac[/name]! I haven’t had a chance to read all of the posts yet, but did anyone suggest [name]Emerson[/name]? [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Fitzgerald[/name] or [name]Emerson[/name] [name]Lennox[/name] would be perfect!

I like [name]Colette[/name] a lot, but for the sake of throwing in all the names I love that my own husband isn’t adventurous enough for, I’ll also make the suggestion of [name]Cosima[/name]. l honestly can’t think of a very famous piece of literature featuring the name, but it’s a little edgier and still gives you the nn [name]Coco[/name]. You do have a lot of fun options, though. I’m enjoying reading all of the suggestions!

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Glad[/name] you liked some of my suggestions!!

About [name]Elliot[/name]… I don’t know where you live, but I think that unless it’s NYC (although I have a feeling that might be exactly where you live), you don’t have to worry about it having gone to the girls. In most places I think it’s still considered as a pretty unusual boys’ name, so I don’t think many people are viewing it as a girls’ name! At least I hope so, because I really like it for a boy!!

Yes, I know the O.C.!!! Seen every single episode :)! I guess that where [name]Summer[/name] comes from… I like [name]Summer[/name] okay, but [name]Autumn[/name] is so much more modern! I actually like [name]Mischa[/name] too, for a girl.

I love that you are into literary names, as an English lit student, I’ve been having some fun trying to come with more suggestions!

[name]Blue[/name] actually has literary ties as well, you know thne novel ‘Special topics in calamity physics’? The protagonist is a girl named [name]Blue[/name]…

I can’t believe you don’t like [name]Frances[/name] though :)!! I think it’s a lovely vintage name, she’s also the author of ‘the secret garden’, and I think [name]Frankie[/name] would be a great nn for a girl!

Other suggestions (because your list just isn’t long enough yet…!)
Boys:
[name]Hamlet[/name]
[name]Edgar[/name]
[name]Miller[/name]
[name]Hemingway[/name]
[name]Milton[/name]
[name]Salinger[/name]
[name]Ernest[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Amory[/name]
[name]Dorian[/name]
[name]Algernon[/name]
[name]Tristram[/name] (although I hated the book!!)

Girls:
[name]James[/name] ([name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name])
[name]Sara/name (a [name]Little[/name] [name]Princess[/name]), very common, but still lovely
[name]Brett[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Flannery[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Portia[/name]
[name]Guinevere[/name]
[name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]
[name]Sidda[/name] (Ya-Ya Sisterhood anyone?)

Looking forward to hear what you think of these new ones!!

Well, someone mentioned they liked [name]Cosima[/name] but didn’t know a literary reference. Well, [name]Cosima[/name] (nn [name]Codi[/name]; don’t know how it came to that!) is the main character in [name]Barbara[/name] Kingsolver’s Animal Dreams. I know it’s not classic literature (yet), but it’s great modern literature. Kingsolver’s most famous book is The Poisonwood Bible. Anyhow, I don’t think it really fits with the names of your other children, but just to point that out for the person who liked it.

For what it’s worth, out of the girls’ names you’ve considered, I vote for [name]Sunday[/name] [name]Lennox[/name]. And I like [name]Summer[/name] as well, but [name]Sunday[/name] is quirkier and I think is cuter with your other childrens’ names.