7. A goat is a goat, of course, of course

7: ‘THING NAME’ Form

Genre of [name_u]Story[/name_u]: [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f]- fairy tale retelling

Time Period/Location: fantasy world- think fairy tale Norway meets American Old [name_u]West[/name_u]

Brief Plot: This is a retelling of Tatterhood. Twin sisters born from a magic spell. The pretty sister is kidnapped by the trolls, ugly sister goes on an adventure to rescue her. The weird thing about Tatterhood? The girl was born riding a goat. She won’t be born with the goat in my story, although I considered having animal souls ala Northern Lights. I may still explore something like this, but for now my Tatterhood just has a beloved pet goat.

Thing Description: A goat, a goat! He’s no talking goat, just your run of the mill goat. He’s a shaggy chocolate brown mountain climbing goat with lovely little horns and droopy ears. Tatter has had him since she was a little girl.

Already Considered (if relevant): I’ve considered nothing. I didn’t even realize I’d forgotten to name him until just a moment ago. I’ve been calling him goat. Humans in this world are named [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], [name_f]Sabine[/name_f], [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f], [name_m]Ozias[/name_m], [name_m]Caliban[/name_m], [name_m]Esteban[/name_m], [name_f]Cressida[/name_f] and [name_f]Jocasta[/name_f].

[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t Suggest These Names: [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m], Baelfire. I have those names picked out for my future goats. I don’t want anything cute, no Floppy or Bootsy.

Anything else?: Perhaps I should tell you about Tatter, the girl who named him. She’s the daughter of a [name_m]King[/name_m]. Her real name is [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f], but her clothes are always in tatters… so, Tatter she is. She’s reckless, a daredevil. She runs and climbs and laughs when she’s supposed to sit quietly. When her beloved sister is taken, the [name_m]King[/name_m] refuses to go after her because the trolls are a fierce opponent. Tatter takes off in the middle of the night, stealing an old pair of pistols she barely knows how to use. Goat comes with her. She loves goat almost as much as she loves her sister. The only other people she loves are her older foster sister, and her brother-in-law, foster sister’s husband. What would this feisty little girl name a goat?

PS: I don’t consider animals to be “things”, perhaps I should have put this under character names, because goat is more character than thing, but here it is. Think of goat as a character, just a non-talking, very hairy character that eats everything in sight. So, a dwarf. Haha. He’s a bit of comic relief, but he’s also very loved, and Tatter will spend more than one scene crying into his fur when there’s nowhere else to turn.

[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f], Shylock, [name_m]Boone[/name_m], [name_f]Theodora[/name_f], [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m], [name_m]Santo[/name_m], [name_f]Imelda[/name_f], [name_f]Shirlene[/name_f], [name_f]Hendrika[/name_f]

Solace
[name_u]Aza[/name_u] – one who provides comfort
Faraji – comfort
[name_m]Nahum[/name_m] – comforter
Sharma – comfort, joy
Coni – warm (like you said “with only her goat and her guns to keep her warm” :P)
Rufay – warm
Tryphon – soft
Zelindo – victory, soft, gentle, friendly
[name_f]Katura[/name_f] – to ease the burden
[name_u]Alden[/name_u] – old friend
Ampelos – a satyr in Greek myth
Arduino – great forest, valuable friend
Elendil – elf friend
Hadwin – friend during wartime
[name_m]Philemon[/name_m] – only friend
[name_m]Philo[/name_m] – strongly loved
Acestes – pleasing goat