7 Month Itch

Hello again, Berries!

[name]How[/name] is everyone?

[name]Olive[/name] is almost seven months old (how is that possible? can I freeze time, please?) and while we won’t be trying for at least another year, I have the naming itch again! So this is all purely hypothetical, but I’d love it if you would humor me! You can never start thinking about names too soon, right? :slight_smile:

We plan on using either [name]Hugo[/name] or [name]Frederick[/name] if we ever get that elusive boy. But since we clearly have a knack for making girls, I think we should have a few girl’s names ready, too.

So tell me, what would you name a sister to [name]Willa[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], and [name]Olive[/name]?

I can’t wait to see your suggestions!

Best,

[name]Sarah[/name]

I think I would pick something short. All of the other girl names are about 5 letters or less and one or 2 syllables. Something like [name]Julianna[/name] for example, would feel really out of place. I could see…

• [name]Hazel[/name]
  • [name]Mabel[/name]
  • [name]Tina[/name]
  • [name]Jane[/name]
  • [name]Alice[/name]
  • [name]Rowan[/name]
  • [name]Celia[/name]
  • [name]Greta[/name]
  • [name]Daisy[/name]
  • [name]Rose[/name]
  • [name]Piper[/name]
  • [name]Belle[/name]
  • [name]Moira[/name]
  • [name]Maura[/name]
  • [name]Adele[/name]
  • [name]Audra[/name]

Definitely something short and sweet like the rest of your girls names. If you throw a long name in there, say… [name]Anastasia[/name], it would be off-balance. So, I’d go with something like [name]Tess[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Laura[/name], [name]Adele[/name], [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name](too close to [name]Sybil[/name]?), [name]Daisy[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] these help!

Something short and vintage like your other girls’ names, love the pp sugustion of [name]Alice[/name] for you.
Other ideas
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Ardith[/name]
[name]Aleda[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Anne[/name]/[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]

I absolutely adore your daughters’ names.

It looks like all your daughters have relatively short, 2-syllable names, so the only ones I’ve thought of are also 2 syllables to maintain some sort of connection. (Of course, whether or not there is a connection is your call.)

Off the top of my head, I thought of a few vintage-sounding but hip names, which seem to suit the others.

[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps get you started! :slight_smile:

[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Mathilde[/name]/ [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Athena[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]

Your girls’ names are lovely.

[name]June[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Maud[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]

Also, not to get too up close and personal, but they do say… If you use ovulation predictor kits and wait to have sex until twelve hours after the LH surge is detected, there’s a better chance of having a boy. ([name]Male[/name] sperm is faster but not as hardy as female sperm, and with this kind of timing the male sperm has a better chance.) They say an alkaline environment can help too (brought on by multiple female orgasms!) as can higher sperm count (abstain from sex until conception time.) Who knows if this really works, but it’s an interesting theory.

I love the suggestion of [name]Hazel[/name]! I think something short and sweet and vintagey goes really well with [name]Willa[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], and [name]Olive[/name]. (BTW, I love the idea of [name]Hugo[/name] or [name]Frederick[/name] with your girls!) A couple other ideas:

[name]Edith[/name] (meh, too much Downton [name]Abbey[/name]? I still really love [name]Willa[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Edith[/name] together…)
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name] (maybe a bit on the longer side, but I like it with your girls)
[name]Violet[/name]/[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] (echoing this one, too! [name]Willa[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Alice[/name] is lovely)
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] (or a name that yields [name]Nell[/name], like [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Etta[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]

Good luck!

[name]Just[/name] thought of another one–[name]Audrey[/name]! I think [name]Willa[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Audrey[/name] would be fab together.

[name]Willa[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and…

[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Arbor[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]

[name]Edie[/name]
[name]Lark[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]

I definitely agree about picking something short! Luckily, long, frilly names don’t appeal to us, so we won’t be tempted to stray from our (unintentional) pattern. Part of me thinks we should pick another two syllable name so #5 wouldn’t be the only sister without a two syllable name. And part of me also wants to pick a four letter name so Miss [name]Cora[/name] isn’t the only one without a five letter name. I also worry about choosing another name with an L, again making [name]Cora[/name] the odd-girl-out. But then I realize that I’m over thinking it… I try to remind myself that we’re naming individuals and that their names will only be lumped together on [name]Christmas[/name] cards (and a few other places).

@mrs_anton_yelchin1990 - Thank you for the suggestions! I love [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name], but I don’t like that they share an ending with [name]Sybil[/name]. I adore [name]Jane[/name], but then I start to worry that it is only one syllable. But points for being 4 letters! I also love [name]Alice[/name], but it looks too similar to [name]Olive[/name] for my taste. [name]Greta[/name] is great, and something I’ve never considered before. [name]Rose[/name] is beautiful, but maybe a little too light?

@dame - Thanks! I love [name]Daphne[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] (one of our top choices for [name]Olive[/name]!).

@averelladavina - Thank you! I absolutely love [name]Mary[/name]! Plus, it’s two syllables and four letters! Definitely a great option, but as I think about it, I remember that it does have the Downton [name]Abbey[/name] connection. I love the show, but am iffy about having three daughters share names with main characters. Ooh, [name]Beth[/name] is beautiful and so sweet! We considered [name]Edith[/name] for [name]Olive[/name], but scratched it off the list because of Downton [name]Abbey[/name]. [name]Elise[/name] is lovely as well!

@peacebird10 - Thanks! I love [name]Violet[/name], but it’s become too popular for my taste. I adore [name]Estelle[/name]! It’s going on the list!

@southernbeauty - [name]Ivy[/name] is adorable, but unusable for us because of the [name]Ivy[/name] League. [name]Bridget[/name] is great, and unexpected! Thanks!

@emmabobemma - Thank you! My husband and I will keep that in mind! :slight_smile: As for names, I love [name]June[/name]! [name]Vera[/name] is beautiful, and again I find myself loving [name]Mabel[/name] - I can’t decide if it’s too similar to [name]Sybil[/name]. Ooh I absolutely adore [name]Blythe[/name]! Thanks again!

@ashthedreamer - I’m glad you like [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name]. We’ve had plenty of time to think about boy’s names! Ha! Yes, I’m afraid [name]Edith[/name] is a little too Downton for us to use. I still love it, but when we considered if for [name]Olive[/name] I hadn’t seen the show. Now that I’ve caught up, and become rather obsessed, I just don’t think I could do it. Also, [name]Edith[/name] doesn’t seem to have the best luck… I love [name]Flora[/name], but it’s far too similar to [name]Cora[/name]. Again, I love [name]Alice[/name], but I don’t like [name]Olive[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] together. [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Nell[/name]! I’m not sure about a full name, though. Thanks!

@lorijohnson - Good to “see” you again, too! :slight_smile: [name]How[/name] are you? I adore Emse and [name]Maude[/name] (as you may remember). But I’m absolutely crushing on [name]Gwen[/name]! I love it! Thank you!

@katemp91 - I love [name]Clare[/name] (and [name]Clara[/name]) and [name]Mae[/name]. Thanks!

@pardalote - Thank you! I adore [name]Margot[/name], but it’s a close friend’s name so we sadly can’t use it.

I have an [name]Olive[/name] and her sisters are [name]Abigail[/name] ([name]Abby[/name]) and [name]Rosie[/name].

Since you seem to have 2 syllable names you might want to stay with that trend here are some more suggestions:

[name]Gracie[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Minnie[/name]

I adore your daughters names! Seriously, they make me happy. I agree with other berries, the name should be short and sweet. A few ideas:
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]
[name]Petra[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]

I hope you find a name that fits!

I almost always notice when parents have a favorite letter; I immediately saw the one name without an l, and thought you might want to remedy that. If [name]Cora[/name] cares about a lot about names/patterns, it will bother her if all her sibs have an l and she doesn’t. It would bother me but I can see where many people simply wouldn’t think it important enough to even mention.
Also, I wouldn’t choose another five letter name. Three or six, anything but five.
I don’t have suggestions but I like some of the ones suggested by others. [name]Ivy[/name], but you say that’s out. [name]Bridget[/name] is great, too.

I absolutely adore your girls’ names. Beautiful! I’ve been especially loving [name]Sybil[/name] lately.

I think there have been some really great suggestions so far. I also think you’re right to rule out [name]Edith[/name] b/c of Downton (such an amazing show!), and while I think the connection with [name]Mary[/name] is a bit less obvious as [name]Mary[/name]'s a much more widely used name than [name]Edith[/name], it still might be weird with a [name]Cora[/name], [name]Sybil[/name], and [name]Mary[/name]. [name]Violet[/name] is another Downton name, but I see you already crossed it off because of popularity.

From your most recent post, it looks like [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Estelle[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Blythe[/name], [name]Mabel[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Nell[/name], Emse, [name]Maude[/name], [name]Gwen[/name], [name]Clare[/name]/[name]Clara[/name], and [name]Mae[/name] are all on your list so far? I can see what you mean about [name]Mabel[/name] being a bit too close to [name]Sybil[/name]. [name]Clara[/name] is also very similar to [name]Cora[/name]. As for how to get [name]Nell[/name], there are always the traditional ways like [name]Eleanor[/name]/[name]Eleanora[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name], but those are a bit long next to your other girls.

What about…
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] (too similar sounding to [name]Cora[/name] maybe)
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Rue[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]

I was loving the idea of [name]Flora[/name] till I realized it rhymes with [name]Cora[/name]…
I think that [name]Mabel[/name] is too similar to [name]Sybil[/name] and I wouldn’t want another color with [name]Olive[/name], so I would skip [name]Hazel[/name].

[name]Helen[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name] or [name]Gwyneth[/name] (but isn’t there a [name]Gwen[/name] on Downton too??)
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Leona[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name] instead of [name]Rose[/name]

@misspix - Thank you! I do love [name]Mabel[/name], but I think it’s too close to [name]Sybil[/name].

@ajbear - Aw, thank you! I love the idea of [name]Thea[/name].

@triss - Hm. I really don’t know how important that is to us. [name]Even[/name] if [name]Cora[/name] were to notice that one day, would it really matter? I hope that she would be able to see that it’s not a big deal and she has a beautiful name. Plus, she has an L in her middle name!

@bounceparty - Thanks! I adore [name]Fiona[/name], but my husband is not a fan. [name]Ruby[/name] is great, but seems incredibly popular lately. [name]Lucy[/name] would be a good option!

@gwensmom - Yes, there was a [name]Gwen[/name] on Downton [name]Abbey[/name], but she had a much smaller role and was only on for one season. I don’t think anyone would associate the name with the show. I was thinking of [name]Helen[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name], but wonder if it’s strange that my other girls don’t use nicknames. I really love [name]Gwen[/name]! Is [name]Gwen[/name] your daughter’s full name? Again, I love [name]Blythe[/name]! And [name]Louise[/name] is great!

Thanks again!

To put it all in one place, here is our current list:

[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Helen[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]

Thoughts?

[name]Blythe[/name] - A bit funkier than your other girl names, which aren’t necessarily common, but are all easily recognisable.
[name]Elise[/name] - I might be unduly biased against this name as it is the middle name where we live. In my clique alone, there are three girl babies/toddlers with [name]Elise[/name] as a middle
[name]Estelle[/name] - Cute, but feels more vintage than your other names. Goes well with [name]Sybil[/name], though. Hmmm.
[name]Frances[/name] - Such a delightfully sweet name. I like it.
[name]Greta[/name] - Aw, cute! Would having a [name]Cora[/name] and a [name]Greta[/name] bother you?
[name]Gwen[/name] - I like this. It’s unexpected given the rest of your set, but fits well. I’ve never heard [name]Gwen[/name] as anything other than a nickname, however.
[name]Helen[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name] - I like it. Also, [name]Nella[/name]. Or just [name]Nell[/name].
[name]Jane[/name] - Yes, lovely.
[name]June[/name] - I have a soft spot for this name.
[name]Lucy[/name] - Perfect!!! It fits with the vibe of your other names, is two syllables, but only four letters. This would be my pick for sure.
[name]Nell[/name] - Yip.
[name]Phoebe[/name] - Sure, great.
[name]Rose[/name] - I like it. Be warned that all little Roses seem to get called “[name]Rosie[/name].” It’s inevitable! But I find it cute, so, eh.

All in all, my vote would be [name]Lucy[/name].