A 2nd middle?

Our final contestants are [name_f]Elysia[/name_f]* [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] and [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Callum[/name_m]. But we were playing with the thought of adding a second middle name.

• [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have or know anybody with 2 middles and how is that working out for you/them?

• Would giving our 3rd child 2 middles cause friction between him/her and our older boys with only 1 middle or would they just wonder and ask me why?

Thanks.

*(el-ee-see-uh)

I have 2 middles, and I love it! It doesn’t really cause any issues, but I haven’t really had to fill out any forms etc. (as I’m only 16 and 6 days old :P), but on my exam papers I just used my first and surname.
And I can’t really help you with your other question (sorry). Personally, I would really dislike only having 1 middle if my (hypothetical) siblings had 2, but I’m a name nerd (and a bit odd), and I don’t think many people would have an issue.
Your name choices are lovely btw, as are your boys’ names!’ :slight_smile:

I’m so glad you posted about this because we have been thinking about giving two middle names to a second son, if we are blessed with one, to honor two family members (not ttc until next year, so we have time, though). Since I’m wondering basically the same thing you are, I can’t really help. But I did want to pop in and say that I would have pronounced [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] correctly :slight_smile:

I plan on giving all my children 2 middle names, especially since my first boy has a double first name. I don’t think it will cause friction so long as you don’t constantly point it out, you know? And by the way, your names are beautiful!

I would not do it for a boy, since your boys only have one middle. [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Callum[/name_m] is perfect as-is with your sons’ names. I think you have more freedom if it’s a girl. I personally care more about matching and balance between same-sex sibs.

I wouldn’t do it personally because your other boys only have one, unless you are honoring people with middle names and don’t plan on having any more kids. I love [name_u]Asa[/name_u] [name_m]Callum[/name_m], but the way, it goes so well with your other kids names.

Thanks all.

I agree that we could better stick with one middle for a boy.

as for girls, do you guys have any suggestions that we can play around with to help us make the decision? [name_f]Hazel[/name_f] is already a honoring name, so I guess the 2nd middle doesn’t have to be.

[name_f]My[/name_f] brother has two middle names. I have one. I have never resented him for this. (Although we are different genders, and there’s only two of us. If I was a boy and still had one middle name, I don’t know if I’d feel differently, but honestly I wouldn’t think it would be a big deal.) He’s also never had trouble having two middle names, and he’s enjoyed having two family members honored.

[name_m]How[/name_m] does having two middle names work for filling out government forms? Taxes, selective service, etc. Usually just space for one middle.

I know many Hispanics using the traditional two-last-name system (you carry your mother and your father’s last names for life) wrestled with this when I was in the military. Some just used the first last name. This effectively dropped the second one from the official record. Others used a hyphen, which was doable for short names like Lopez-[name_f]Silva[/name_f]. Longer names though like Esquiverra-Ibarra made that impractical though. Some listed their first last as their middle, and omitted their middle, if they had one. (Which some people don’t - that annoys government forms as much as having two, I’ll bet!)

Hmm, I’m not a big fan of two middles on boys, especially if their siblings have only one middle. On the other hand I find two middles on a girl cute and refreshing if they aren’t too long so in your case it’s fine IYAM.

[name_f]My[/name_f] son and I both have two middles. If there’s space to write in two initials, I do that. If there’s only space for one initial, I go with the first initial of the first middle name. We haven’t had any problems.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

When I got married I kept my first and middle name, added my maiden name as a middle, and took my husbands name as my last. It has been confusing (lots of places assume that I hyphenated or have 2 last names), but I tend to use my maiden name initial as my middle initial now and forget about my actual middle name, I never use the two initials in the middle, I tried but people don’t seem to get it where I live (northeastern US).

I don’t think it would matter much to me if my sister had 2 middle names and I did not, though I had one middle and she didn’t have any and I know that bugged her.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I love your name choices!

I personally don’t understand the two middle name thing.
I feel like the middle name is hardly used anyway, I just don’t see why there needs to be two.
When I hear a persons name that has 4 parts I first think that maybe the kid took both parents last names… or a hyphenated deal… it sometimes sounds pretentious as well.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] my opinion. I’m a plain… simple kinda gal.

I wish I had a second middle! [name_f]My[/name_f] names were both in top 10 back when i was born (first was #8 and middle #10) and my middle got incredibly popular over next few years, so… I wanted to have something that would distinguish me more… or a name that would honor my family… but no, two popular names, that’s all i’ve got :wink:
About Hispanic tradition - i find it really nice that they keep two surnames - each from different parent - and i find it very respectful to the feminine part of the world. I have my father’s surname - traditionally - but never been anywhere near to his part of the family, i barely can stand his mother (i know how it sounds but that’s how it is), plus i’ve never been close to my father. To be honest, through almost all my life he lived in a different country (not to mention a continent!). On the other hand, i have really strong bond with my mom, my grandma and all my mother’s family. Honestly, i’m 22 and still thinking of changing my last name for my mother’s maiden name… so it would definitely make a difference for me if i had two surnames.
Also, i really like the idea of second middles - as long as they’re meaningful and not just bland like, i give my child second middle name [name_f]Emily[/name_f] because i like it and it’s soooo popular right now :wink:
I agree that if you’re carrying a boy it would not be nice to give him two middle names when his two older brothers have one middle each :slight_smile: but if it’s a girl, it does feel a little bit different - like you are free to give her two middles ([name_f]Hazel[/name_f] to honor family, and other that you just like). Though i think i’d prefer for all my children to have an equal amount of names, despite their gender… idk.

I have two middles, my siblings have two middle names as well. For my father it was just the way they’d always done it while my mother has no middle name at all. Since I have two middle names my parents could both honour someone from their own family. As for government forms and stuff, I wouldn’t know, I think that’s different here since people can have as many middle names as they like and can opt to give their child no middle name at all as well so I can’t help you out there. Whether it makes a difference if the other siblings only have one middle name? I doubt it would affect them in any way.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I only have one middle name and my younger brother has two! There isn’t really any conflict! I would actually like two middles myself! [name_f]Elysia[/name_f] is one of my favourites! I spell it [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] tho! If it’s a boy I would go with one middle and if it’s a girl I would go with two! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] I helped!

Actually,
[name_f]Elysia[/name_f] is an entirely different name than [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]. They have a separate background, meaning and pronunciation. So it wouldn’t make much sense to spell it [name_f]Alicia[/name_f].

But thanks for the help anyway.

Thanks to all.

I know this is perhaps off topic and unwanted but I’d like to add that perhaps you could consider this a ‘be prepared’ sign, because this may happen a lot with that name.

This fact has come up multiple times when we were considering [name_f]Elysia[/name_f], and I’ll have you know that we made the decision fully knowledgeable of this fact.
And we came to the conclusion that it will work just fine, eventhough it is one of those “could you please spell that”/“how do you pronounce that” names.