A Berry quiz!

-A-

1. I’ve always loved my name because my bio dad chose it for me, and he died when I was a baby, so it makes me feel connected to him. I was also named after my mom (her FN is my MN). And naturally, I wanted to help name my younger siblings. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom humored me and let me make several lists, but thankfully, she didn’t use anything I came up with. (I was 9; my name suggestions were horrible :rofl: Wait… I just remembered that I tried to help my older sister name her firstborn son… I was obsessed with [name_u]Twilight[/name_u], so of course I suggested [name_u]Edward[/name_u] and Jacob… :grimacing: But you know what, I’m pretty sure I mentioned [name_u]Seth[/name_u], and that’s what she named him, so… :stuck_out_tongue:)

2. It was shortly after I discovered that baby name books existed. I was browsing the bookshelf in my 6th grade [name_f]English[/name_f] class, and there it was, a book containing 35,000+ names or something like that, and I was OVER THE MOON excited. I was also a huge fan of Yahoo! Answers at the time (god, my embarrassment just keeps growing) and there was a trend of playing [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games. Eventually, they got banned or something? So I came to Nameberry. And even though I stopped “playing” for a while during high school or college, I eventually came back as an adult. And I can’t get enough. (Plus, I’m a writer, so I’m constantly looking for character names.)

3. I sneak on during work sometimes :shushing_face: and just whenever I want a form of entertainment that isn’t books, TikTok, or TV.

-B-

1. I’ve hearted half of the popular names for both boys and girls.

2. I don’t ‘steal’ so much as heart them, use them in baby name games, and get really excited when I see them in real life.

3. Oh heck yes. [name_f]My[/name_f] naming style has changed many times over the years, and I definitely think this website has helped with that. (Ex: I never used to like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], but now I think it’s lovely; I wouldn’t use it for a child (maybe for a character) but I would be thrilled for anyone who did.)

-C-

1. [name_f]Pretty[/name_f] often. It’s kind of hard to figure out what my top 10 are, really. Because the top 10 names that I currently ADORE are very different from the top 10 names I would actually use for myself, or could convince my partner into using. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2. Which one? :smirk:

3. For girls, I have a few combos that I’m pretty set on and several more that I’m considering. For boys… I have one first name that I’m dying to use… and a couple more that I love, but I’m not set on middles.

-D-

1. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games is where I live. I also peruse the [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Announcements every few months because they make my heart warm and my eyes all misty. And I read any articles that catch my eye, especially How I Named [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_u]Baby[/name_u].

2. Again, just whatever catches my eye.

3. Name Sightings!!!

-E-

1. I like interacting with people who love names as much as me. And I adore seeing my favorite names used in beautiful ways, or discovering new ones.

2. I’ve been here a while, so… yes. The first time it changed, I was sad because I didn’t know how to navigate it, but I’ve seen it change in a couple more ways since then, and I just learn to adapt.

3. I’d like to be able to edit posts without getting rid of the name links, or to copy & paste other people’s posts without changing the color of the name links (normally, they’re blue for boys, pink for girls, and green for gender neutral, but if you copy and paste it, it changes all names to a different blue). That’s just my AuDHD wanting things to work the way they’re supposed to, and to be all pretty and color-coordinated. :blush:

-F-

1. Yes! Especially as a writer. (I really should look at the Writer’s Forums more; I don’t know why I don’t.)

2. YES!!!

3. [name_m]Reading[/name_m], writing (original work and fanfiction), Pinterest, story-centric and artistic video games, and any game where I can name/create characters or stories of some kind (I like the concept of [name_m]Sims[/name_m], but not the game layout, so I use mobile games like Choices or the sadly-discontinued computer games [name_f]Pixie[/name_f] Hollow and Millsberry).

-G-

1. On my phone and Google Docs, and sometimes on scrap pieces of paper or my journal, if I’m craving the sensation of writing names down; I don’t know why it’s different, it just is.

2. I research the heck out of most names. It’s more out of curiosity than anything else, but I love finding more reasons to love my favorite names. And if I discover something new, I want to know ALL about it.

3. I’ve used [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name DNA a couple of times.

-H-

[name_f]Alouette[/name_f]. [name_m]Dante[/name_m]. And only half a million more. :wink:

This was fun! Thanks for making it!

2 Likes

A. How you got here

1. I think I found this particular site when looking for good names for a genderbent fanfiction. I really liked the way the search worked so I stuck around long enough to find the forums.
  2. [name_m]Just[/name_m] under 2 months, active the whole time.
  3. Idk. Whenever I have time

B. Forum posting

1. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games and [name_m]General[/name_m] Name Discussion mostly
  2. I really like those “redo my combos/list in your style” and the CAFs and the Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u] Thread
  3. Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u] Thread and Nameberry Memes thread

C. Forum feelings

1. The community is nice and I can talk about names with other people
  2. Been here for two months, so no
  3. n/a

D. Nameberry influence

1. 12 boys 14 girls
  2. Somewhat often?
  3. It’s opened my eyes to a lot of new names. I have been put off of some that are ultra-popular on here

E. Listmaking

1. Not often. I’ve liked the same names for a while.
  2. 381 girls 419 boys (including GPs and all that)
  3. No.

F. Related hobbies

1. Yesss
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes?

G. Related tools and habits

1. Google Sheets and Listography
  2. Alphabetically and by gender and that’s about it
  3. No

H. Finally, for fun

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_m]Viktor[/name_m]

1 Like

edited for privacy

1 Like

A. How you got here

1. What first drew you to this site, or the whole topic of names?

I found this site when I was probably 11 (I’m now 20)! I used the “Similar Names” feature all the time to name the characters in the stories I’d write.

2. How long have you been here and how long have you been active?

I made an account in 2016 so that I could save my potential character names to lists! I’ve not been active the whole time, no. I only joined the forums within that last 2 years or so.

3. What times do you come on NB?

Anytime! I don’t have any social media accounts (that I use or have the apps for downloaded lol), so NB is a cool, social-media-but-much-better esque place for me. Right now it’s 8AM for me, and I’m eating breakfast before nanny work all day.

B. Forum posting

1. Which subforums do you browse, and which is your favourite?

I browse all of them! I think [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games, [name_m]General[/name_m] Name Discussion, and Birth Announcements are my tippy top faves.

2. What are your favourite kind of threads to read? What are your favourite threads to post in, if that’s different?

I love reading all the ones I mentioned above, and I love posting in all of them too. I have yet to have children of my own, but I’ve gotten to make three posts this past year for nanny/family births dear to me, which has been so so special. Shoutout to my babies of 2022: [name_f]Noelle[/name_f], [name_u]Julian[/name_u], and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you watch any threads or check in on them regularly? Why do you like them in particular?

Nope, I don’t. I just click “Latest” and see what I can reply to! I do check on the Quick [name_u]Poll[/name_u] Thread without any intention of posting in it sometimes. It’s a quick, cool way to learn about new names and share in people’s love for their favorites, new and old!

C. Forum feelings

1. What do you like most about the forums here?

I love the community, the friends I’ve made, and the space to be a nerd about names! It’s so so fun and absolutely feels like a community of insight and care.

2. Have you seen this place change much over time? How do you feel about it?

I haven’t really. I haven’t been here toooo long.

3. If you could see one feature implemented or tweaked on the forums or the main site, what would it be?

Hm… I’d like to be able to change out usernames more easily, I suppose.

D. Nameberry influence

1. How ‘berry’ are you? How many thumbs up on the NB top 20, and how many thumbs down?

I have 10 thumbs up for girls and 12 for boys. (One awesome thing I’ve gained since becoming a frequent forums poster is appreciation for so many boy names!)

2. How often do you encounter and steal a great name from the forums?

I add so so many names to my long list from the forums. Maybe once every two or three weeks on average? Except for “wild word” names. I add those all the time. Berries have the coolest word name ideas.

3. Has Nameberry influenced your naming choices or style? Have you made major discoveries here? Have you come to see some names differently?

Yes! I’ve learned to branch out while still staying true to my heart and style. I’ve also learned that honor names can be indirect but still super meaningful—which I adore.

E. Listmaking

1. How often does your top 10/all time faves list change?

It’s usually the same handful… it’s never completely changed! I love a stodgy, classic, Biblical name (or Biblical word name). They just always do it for me!

2. How long is your long list?

About 100 names per sex! But not all of them are name did really use for kids. Most are just names I love.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know what you would name a child right now?

I’d probably name my daughter [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (middle names some combo of [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], or May) and my son [name_u]George[/name_u] (middles some combo of [name_u]Edward[/name_u], [name_m]Hugh[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], .

F. Related hobbies

1. Are you interested surnames too?

Absolutely! I have a surname that’s commonly mistaken for a Welsh one but is actually Irish. I love cool surnames.

2. How about words/etymology/languages?

Yes to all of that. I’m a linguistics major at university. A namenerd’s unshocking discovery of love.

3. Other related/similar interests, e.g. creative expression or collecting?

I’m a writer and generally very creative, hyper focused person.

1. Where do you keep name lists, if you keep them?

Listography! I loooove Listography.

2. How much information do you collect about names, if you do? How do you sort them?

I don’t collect much, but I’d really like to start collecting origins and meanings. They’re so interesting—and often add so much to a name.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you use or browse any other blogs/sites/apps/tools in relation to Nameberry?

None at all!

H. Finally, for fun

What name is on your mind right now?

[name_u]Vision[/name_u] [name_f]Beulah[/name_f] as a combo for a little girl. It’s constantly, always, and forever on my mind lately. I love both names so much… but I feel like they aren’t usable! [name_m]Ah[/name_m] well, I adore them so!

1 Like
A. How you got here

I disliked my given name as a child and I often thought about what would suit me better. I think my interest in names was inevitable—I loved words, and the idea of making style choices that say something about the person who chose it (I’m not explaining myself very well, but I like fashion and seeing others’ choice in outfits for the same reason). I’m not sure how I first discovered this website, but probably through looking up the meaning of a name at age 9 or 10.

I came back to Nameberry as soon as quarantine started in [name_u]March[/name_u] or [name_f]April[/name_f] of 2020, and made an account a few months later. At that time I had picked a new name for myself and wanted to be sure of my choice before making a social change.

I’ve been here with an account since 2018, but lurked since 2012 or 2013. I’ve been fairly active on the forums since 2020, and I used to be very active for the first half of 2019.

Several times during the day, whenever I am doing something menial and have the chance.

B. Forum posting

I like the general name discussion and name advice best. I sometimes play the baby name games, and I am trying to get into creating some of my own.

2. What are your favourite kind of threads to read? What are your favourite threads to post in, if that’s different?

I love threads like this, as well as anything that asks users to talk about their style!

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you watch any threads or check in on them regularly? Why do you like them in particular?

I check in on the hot takes and name rants. I love the lighthearted drama.

C. Forum feelings

I love that names are discussed as stylistic choices and considered reflective of someone’s personal style. I also love that while you don’t have to be a parent or think about names in the context of having children to participate, a lot of people do dream of using their names on a child, or imagine small children when they think of their favorites, etc. It always makes me happy to see, although I don’t think about names in this context so it makes me feel like a bit of an outsider sometimes!

I’ve been lurking since 2012 or 2013.

• I want to say there was a period of time where the community was very close and tight-knit, and that started to go away after the [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] scandal and then came back again in a different way once we had the forum platform change.
  • I think users have become much more appreciative of non-English names and more tolerant of different styles, while the en vogue names have changed from fantastical choices to a more classic, homespun style.
  • The average age of active users seems to have shifted younger.
  • The culture here is a lot kinder than it used to be. There is a lot of positive reinforcement. Criticism of name choices is less socially acceptable unless explicitly asked for.

3. If you could see one feature implemented or tweaked on the forums or the main site, what would it be?

Bring back namehunter maybe?

D. Nameberry influence

1. How ‘berry’ are you? How many thumbs up on the NB top 20, and how many thumbs down?

I got 5/20 for masculine names and 5/20 for feminine names.
I can appreciate a lot of Nameberry favorites, but I don’t think my personal style quite counts as “berry” because it’s full of non-English names with no mythological connections.

I have a little list of names I love from other users. [name_f]My[/name_f] ultimate favorites are [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Thames[/name_u] (@norin) and all of @leafygreens [name_f]Fatima[/name_f] combos. I’m not sure if I’ve discovered new names for myself here, but I did fall in love with [name_f]Amparo[/name_f] after seeing it on a list on the main website.

3. Has Nameberry influenced your naming choices or style? Have you made major discoveries here? Have you come to see some names differently?

[name_f]My[/name_f] style has changed throughout my time here, but I wouldn’t say because of the culture of the website. I do appreciate more names when I see them well loved here, but I don’t see them as mine.

E. Listmaking

Almost never.

Several hundreds, but I haven’t touched it in months.

I would choose [name_u]Maria[/name_u] or [name_f]Amparo[/name_f] for a girl and [name_m]Hamza[/name_m] or [name_u]Konstantin[/name_u] for a boy.

F. Related hobbies

Yes!

Yes! I’m a linguistics student.

I think fashion design has a surprising amount in common with choosing names. I’m also a writer and I study classical singing, so I have a lot of exposure to the phonetics of languages I don’t otherwise speak.

I use listography.

2. How much information do you collect about names, if you do? How do you sort them?

I sort them alphabetically, and include traditional gendered usage and meaning.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you use or browse any other blogs/sites/apps/tools in relation to Nameberry?

Yes, Behind the Name.

H. Finally, for fun

[name_f]Kincső[/name_f], a Hungarian feminine name meaning “treasure.”

5 Likes

A. How you got here

I love creating characters for stories or DnD or things like that (never get around to writing lol) but I wanted some symbolic names with specific meanings and this was one of several sites I would visit

I apparently joined in 2017, but I was lurking for several years prior i’m sure

various times a day, depends on how busy i am

B. Forum posting

I tend to look at the most recent threads or most popular threads on the main page, but my favorite are [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name Games

I do like threads where people are genuinely asking for opinions on names during their pregnancy as I like to see what names people are using or considering and the thought process each individual has

Usually I post in Change 1 Letter, Terrible Sibsets You Don’t Know, Choose Their Stage Names, and Name Association. I just like them, no real particular reason besides getting to be a little creative until the thread dies out

C. Forum feelings

Generally I feel like this is a positive community and accepting of new comers and others opinions

It has changed, I think it used to be a little bit more hostile to individuals who liked the more popular names, but has seemed to have come around to those. It is definitely a more friendly environment overall

There used to be this constant scroll on the top of the main page of names that people were searching at the moment. I loved that to find new names and just to see what people liked in the moment.
    Also I miss the Blogs where people asked for help in naming, though I get why that may no longer be a thing, and as someone else mentioned being able to comment on Blog posts

D. Nameberry influence

10 for girls, 11 for boys

I haven’t added names to my list in quite a while, but a lot of names currently on it were from seeing it often in the forums and growing to like them through seeing others talk about them

I think my style has changed a little due to Nameberry, I tend to lean more towards names that I would have considered too old or frumpy in the past (Flora, [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f], [name_u]Clifford[/name_u], [name_m]Roger[/name_m], etc).
    I’ve also learned some very stretchy nicknaming which I very much enjoy

E. Listmaking

Not very often at all

I just have a word doc that I add names to occasionally, so it’s not super long

A daughter would probably be [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] “Daisy” (Daisy to honor Margaret)
    A son would be [name_u]Clifford[/name_u] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] “Kit” (both honor names for grandparents)

F. Related hobbies

to an extent, but really just to name a character

not really, I mean I love trying to learn new languages but I’m not very good

I just create characters for stories I never actually write, I just like creating characters, and then creating characters for DnD. I do play my own personal game of “what will this friend/relative name their child” which i have won several times

I just have a word doc

[name_m]Just[/name_m] the name listed alphabetically and split between boy/girl names and then some I would use in the middle. I do also list combos I like

I’ll use name generators / surname generators sometimes, but otherwise just Nameberry

H. Finally, for fun
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

1 Like

What first drew you to the whole topic of names? …not sure, I remember looking up baby name websites a lot before officially making an NB account tho
How long have you been here and how long have you been active? I started my account during COVID and the rest just happened naturally
What times do you come on NB? when I’m bored ig
How ‘berry’ are you? How many thumbs up on NB’s top 20 user-favourite names, and how many thumbs down? In general, I actually prefer more ‘commoner’ names to Berry names. And I after I literally just looked up the NB top 20:
Boys-7 love, 0 lose
Girls-6 love, 6 lose
How often do you encounter and steal a great name from the forums? Again, I’m definitely not the most ‘Berry’ person here… But the names and combos on the forums are AMAZING!
Has NB influenced your naming choices or style? Have you made major discoveries here? Have you come to see some names differently? Style wise I don’t think so (surprisingly), but I’ve definitely discovered a lot of names on NB! One major discovery that comes to mind was about Baby Name DNA-my type analysis (star-influencer) says that I’m, quote, ‘always doing, knowing, wearing, watching something that nobody’s heard about yet, and then is all the rage six months later’. I wasn’t sure what to make of it… until Royal got popular XD
How often does your top 10/all time faves list change? Once every few months-I have crushes but my permanent faves stay the same
How long is your long list? 46 names in total after I cleaned it up (so not very ‘long’)
Do you have an idea what you would name a child right now? All of my faves wouldn’t really work where I live so I’d probably be the one picking from my future spouse’s list haha
Which subforums do you browse, and which is your favourite? I went on the old baby names category (now name advice+general name discussion) a lot when I started out but now I just check out whatever’s popular
What are your favourite kind of threads to read? What are you favourite threads to post on, if that’s different? idk I read/post on anything nowadays
Do you watch any threads or check in on them regularly? Why do you like them in particular? ~ fake blog entries for all of us/scenarios associated with names! bcs it’s the cutest thread on the forums
What do you like most about the forums here? …idk why I’m here but I like it
Have you seen this place change much over time? How do you feel about it? The biggest change when I was here was when the everything but names category was removed this entire cultral appropriation fiasco on the forums-I wasn’t on that category much but I could tell it meant a lot to some of our regulars so :smiling_face_with_tear:
If you could see one feature implemented or tweaked on the forums or the main site, what would it be? idk
Are you interested in surnames too? no
How about words/etymology/languages? no
Other related/similar interests, eg creative expression or collecting? (Some that often go hand-in-hand or are enjoyable in similar ways are writing, playing the Sims, Pintrest/aesthetic collections, style, decor…) I love writing-I’m posting an HP fanfic on Wattpad (Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery Year 1 - ???? - Wattpad) and have a bunch of other projects as well
Where do you keep name lists, if you keep them? My longlist is on a word doc in my laptop and I have a bunch of random stuff on the notes app on my phone
How much information do you collect about names, if you do? How do you sort them? no
Do you use or browse any other blogs/sites/apps/tools in relation to NB? Baby Name Genie!
What name is on your mind right now? Royal bcs I just mentioned it :rofl: also Shiloh all week

2 Likes

a)

1. names have always been a major discussion. I even had a debate over calling my baby doll [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] or [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] when I was 3.

2. I was just browsing on the forum as early as 2018 but didn’t get my account until this year

3. most of my free time is with friends, writing or on nameberry

b)

1. thumbs up: 4 girls, 12 boysm

2. quite a bit (I don’t take combos without permission though)

3. before nameberry, my naming style was a lot different (Charlotte, Emily) and now I find my names more unusual (Ottilie, Monday)

c)

1. maybe every week? I get bored of things easily and so I often change my lists and uc

2. after counting it currently has 36 names but normally it has up to 100

3. if I was handed a child I’m not sure what I would name them but I do have ideas (Ivy, Atlas)

d)

1. I quite like the baby name games because they always keep me entertained

2. I like posting more onto baby name games but like reading writers corner story ideas

3. I check a lot of the one that require you to add to the previous user’s post (eg. ‘Oldest, Middle, Youngest?)

e)

1. being able to connect to others that share my interest in baby names

2. It’s definitely changed since I first checked nameberry out. For starters, the old name generator was still here (I really want this back!)

3. definitely adding the old name generator back onto the site

f)

1. not at the moment. I know me and my partners surnames so I base a name off that

2. definitely! I like to know the meaning of a name before use

3. writing poetry or novels, I spend a decent time on pinterest

g)

1. in a notebook and google doc

2. I sort my names into alphabetical order

3. The only name website I use is nameberry at the moment.

h)

1. definitely atlas or ottilie nn. otter or tillie
1 Like

A.

Names, I’m not sure, but I came to NB because BtN was getting rather negative. Someone made a very, very nasty comment about people named [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], not even the name (there’s like no moderation there) and I was like “alright, I’m done.” The first thing I saw on NB that made me LOVE names like I do now was a “vintage girls name” list.

Joined [name_f]May[/name_f] 3, first posted early [name_u]July[/name_u]. Wow, that’s it?! :hear_no_evil:

B.

Quick poll thread is a lot of fun, and I like reading the different hot takes.

C.

It’s so very positive and a happy environment!

I’m glad the Everything but Names category has gone— some of it was getting strange and rather personal!!

Honestly, I can’t think of any! The newest updates have done wonders. :relaxed:

D.

Not so much now, but quite a few when I first joined!

E.

The top 10 combos change sometimes, but it’s generally pretty consistent / very small changes.

Very, very long…

I could see myself with a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], and [name_u]Jack[/name_u]!

H.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] :sailboat:

The ones I can answer best :relaxed:

1 Like

That’s so interesting that you see name styling as comparable to fashion styling, I agree! Combo making here reminds me of the feel of the now-defunct Polyvore (which seems to have a couple new replacements), where users would mix and combine products and images to make outfits/scenes/moodboards. It also feels a bit like using old dollmaker sites.

Oh and someone needs to fill me in on what the ‘Ottilie scandal’ was… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A. How you got here

i’ve always loved names, ever since i was young. i don’t know why. as a child i always liked super long names in particular and i would write down names that i liked in a book along with their origin and meaning. as I got older it gradually became a hobby, and then i discovered nameberry and realised that there were others that liked names too.

i was a long-time lurker, but i started my account in october last year.

sometimes (usually) it’s multiple times a day, but occasionally i’m super busy and don’t post for a couple days, sometimes even a week.

B. Forum posting

i look at all of them but my favourite is probably the ‘general name discussion’. i have phases though, when i joined nameberry i pretty much only posted on the ‘baby name games’ category.

i really like the quick poll thread and the adopt a combo thread!

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you watch any threads or check in on them regularly?

pretty much all my favourite threads, in particular the quick poll thread though.

C. Forum feelings

i love getting inspiration from all the different threads. i’ve discovered so many names on the nameberry forums.

i’ve only been here since october 2021 and no significant changes have happened. there was the change of category names though, and the removal of the ‘everything but names’ thread.

i can’t think of any!

D. Nameberry influence

13 :+1: and 7 :-1: for girls
16 :+1: and 4 :-1: for boys

if i see a name that i like i immediately put it on my list. i don’t steal combos unless they’re on the ‘adopt a combo thread’ otherwise i feel super guilty :see_no_evil:

3. Has Nameberry influenced your naming choices or style?

definitely! i’ve discovered heaps of new names on nameberry and i’ve also taken a liking to more unusual and rare names as well.

E. Listmaking

the names themselves are pretty much set in stone, but their order sometimes changes around. chloe will always be my number 1 though.

it’s about 200 names for girls and 100 names for boys.

i would love to have a chloe madeline, alice charlotte and ezra benjamin!

F. Related hobbies

no, not really unless it’s for a character. i tend to like long and romantic sounding surnames.

yes! i really want to learn latin, even though it’s pretty much useless.

i’d consider myself to be a very creative person. i really like writing.

my main list is kept on a google doc. i also have another google doc for the ranking of my shortlist, another for the ranking of my masterlist, another for combos and a notes document on my phone for any new names that i come across. i’m only just realising how many documents i have for names!

i don’t collect much information about names, just the names themselves. i used to, though.

no

H. Finally, for fun #### What name is on your mind right now?

esme!

2 Likes

A. How you got here

I think it was deciding the names of some characters in a story I was writing, and I found that I was really drawn to names, so I continued coming back to NB and other naming sites.

I joined in March of this year. I would call myself super-active when I was new to the forums, and maintained that up until September, where I slowed down a little.

Whenever I have a minute to spare!

B. Forum posting

General Name Discussion, Celebrity Baby Names and Birth Announcements. GND would have to be my favourite.

Obviously, any thread with combos I can take inspiration from. I also love threads that provide something insightful and/or detail in the history of a name. I also like questionnaires such as this!

3. Do you watch any threads or check in on them regularly? Why do you like them in particular?

The Combo of the Day thread, since I’m introduced to so many wonderful combos that I can take inspiration from.

C. Forum feelings

How kind and polite everyone is! They’re also really helpful and fun to talk to.

Well, yes. I joined in March but I’ve been a longtime lurker before. I remember the time they used to have comments under names and blogposts. Some of them were rude and I’m glad they removed those. The forums are much nicer.

I desperately want the Namehunter feature to be back on the site!

D. Nameberry influence

From the NB Top 20 (Girls), I like 18 of them, with Eloise & Sadie being excluded. All the other names are on my list. I’m a bit more opinionated with boy names, so I like fewer names. Out of the NB Top 20 (Boys), I only like 8.

Very often

Definitely! My style was scattered before. I liked the elegance of Alexandra as well as the rarity of Topaz, but I have come a long way past that. I was introduced to Daphne after I joined the forums. I liked it initially, but then I didn’t, and now I like it again. I’d reward anyone with chocolate cake if they managed to change my mind on boy names :smiley:

E. Listmaking

I don’t have the energy to switch it up all the time (because alongside being a Berry, I’m also incredibly lazy) but my Top names have always remained the same.

Considerably long for girls. Don’t get me started on my list for boys.

3. Do you know what you would name a child right now?

100%

If it’s a girl, I’d like to go with Athena and for a boy, Alistair.

F. Related hobbies

Not quite. I look some of them up for character names.

Yes. I love having a wide range of vocabulary.

Writing poetry as well as collecting them! Pinterest has some beautiful ones. I also like those quotes on love and life, the really philosophical ones lol.

A Word document and the Notes app.

Names, their meaning, and origin. I keep it in a tabular form. Otherwise, I just jot them down.

3. Do you use or browse any other blogs/sites/apps/tools in relation to Nameberry?

BehindTheName, yes. Other sites are welcome too.

1 Like

A.

1. i am a writer always looking for new names. i also just enjoy the topic of names, they’re fun!
  2. i’ve been active since [name_u]March[/name_u] 13, but i took a break over the summer as i was busy
  3. i pop on whenever i’m free, usually during my school hours

B.

1. 10 thumbs up for girls, 12 for boys, so kinda berry i guess?
  2. not very often
  3. i haven’t made any HUGE discoveries her yet but i have grown a love for some more classic names

C.

1. my top 10 is very fluid depending on my mood
  2. kinda long, 86 girls, 49 boys, 30 unisex
  3. i’d like to think so but no

D.

1. my favorite is baby name games but i visit the others from time to time
  2. again, baby name games, it’s fun to hop on bandwagons sometimes

E.

1. i love the sense of community and and creativity among the users
  2. i’m still pretty new so i haven’t really noticed anything
  3. nothing i can think of

F.

1. for writing purposes, yeah
  2. not particularly
  3. i write, play the sims, and frequent pinterest

G.

1. mostly in my notes app, sometimes in notebooks
  2. i don’t typically sort names by anything but alphabet and gender; when reseaching names, i focus on origin and meaning
  3. nope, nameberry is my main and first name site

H.
i had a dream not that long ago that my boyfriend and i had three kids; cressida mira, opal mariposa, and august maximo

1 Like

A1. uhhh idk i’ve just always loved names! i grew up coming up with names for stuffed animals and dolls
A2. umm maybe two years? i don’t feel like checking right now haha
A3. hmm, usually it’s a couple times throughout the day mon-fri, and occasionally on sat
B1. 9 thumbs up, 5 thumbs down – i’m very strongly opinionated!
B2. oh, not very often. and usually when i do, i only love the name for a week or so :woman_shrugging:t3:
B3. nameberry has caused me to like some names. sunday, margot, augustus, & theodore to name a few
C1. i honestly never have a top 10. i usually have a top two single names for each gender, and the favorites never change. the second favorites change maybe every couple of months?
C2. ohhh 30 for girls, 15 or 20 for boys. not positive on those numbers, but the ratio is about right :joy:
C3. yes. annabelle hope or gideon leo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

someone remind me to do the rest of the questions later :yum:

1 Like

Part A:

1. I think I ended up here when I was looking for names for characters in a story I was writing. I ended up on nameberry after falling down a rabbit hole of other name websites where people had very strong opinions and I got scared (basically the hot takes thread but that was every discussion)
  2. I’ve had this account for a few months but I’ve been here for maybe a year and a half without an account.
  3. Usually during school. Classes are boring :slight_smile:

Part B:

1. Thumbs up: 8 for girls, 14 for boys
  2. No idea
  3. Seeing the love people on here have for certain names has made me love them too! (Iris & Opal recently)

Part C:

1. I don’t actually have a top list because I’m notoriously indecisive
  2. I don’t have an actual list… I’ve written names down in so many different places and now I can’t find them but I figure the ones I really love will come back to me :slight_smile:
  3. Gloria for a girl, definitely. I love her so much.

Part D:

1. All of them!
  2. I love the name of the day threads!
  3. Name of the day thread has helped me learn to love so many names :heart:

Part E:

1. The community is so welcoming, especially compared to a lot of other naming sites! Also the color scheme doesn’t hurt my eyes
  2. Not really
  3. I’d love to be able to see how often names are mentioned on the forums!

Part F:

1. Not really
  2. YES DEFINITELY. I used to (and still do) collect words, based off of sounds and meanings. I have hundreds of lists of words I love. I’m also learning Latin at school and it’s really interesting to see the correlation with names!
  3. Creative writing, if that counts?

Part G:

1. I happen to be the most disorganized being ever. I used to keep google docs but I have so many different accounts… now I have lists on my notes app but I tend to just start a new note every time I think of a name so that’s not very helpful :slight_smile:
  2. I sort names by color/imagery, usually! And I write their meanings if I find them interesting!
  3. No

Part H:
Jasper!

a)

1. I’ve always been a reader, and writer, so personally character names have always fascinated me! i realized while writing that i loved making new characters, not just for the fun of it, but also because i enjoyed coming up with names for them. nameberry in particular was a website that i liked the layout of, i silently lurked the forums for a bit and then started posting, and i’ve been here ever since :heart:
  2. i’ve been active since last december (when i joined)
  3. usually whenever i get a little break during the day

i’ve caught myself on here multiple times when school get’s a little boring throughout the day too :wink:

b)

1. going to be completely honest here, i am very berry with girl names. i have the first 35 girls names as a thumbs up (i have more, but 36 isn’t a thumbs up for me so the streak ends there) :sweat_smile:. as for boys, i have liked 12 of the top 20 names.
  2. i try not to steal entire combos, but i have more than once taken a name or two from the forums.
  3. yes for sure. it’s definitely broadened my name list’s and variety. my list has become slightly more unique and bold if i do say so myself.

c)

1. not very often, they usually switch orders once in a while, but they (almost) always have the same names.
  2. um i have no clue probably 50 names for girls and 30-40 names for boys (that i would realistically use). if you mean including gp’s then 75+ for girls and 50-60 for boys.
  3. yes! charlotte jane/evangeline and henry august.

d)

1. i usually look at them all, except for the parentberries one.
  2. i like opinion based threads and the bandwagons, people on here are just so creative!! i also adore birth announcements, hearing about what berries have named their kiddo’s (and occasionally seeing a photo) just makes me so happy!
  3. the quick poll thread is one i visit fairly often, i also take my chance with the hot takes thread every once in a while.

e)

1. everyone is so nice and respectful of each other’s opinions! people on here treat you like they’ve known you forever, and it’s a nice change from the rest of the internet. it was definitely also nice when i first joined to know i wasn’t the only one obsessed with names :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  2. not really, the only major change i’ve been around for is the removal of teenberries!
  3. i’d really like it if when you edit a post, the names would still color/link!! also i wish it were easier to change our usernames!

f)

1. not really. i just find that i probably don’t have much control over what a surname would be, so they don’t really interest me.
  2. it’s not my favorite thing, but etymology especially has begun to interest me!
  3. i love making pinterest boards that go along with the aesthetic of names i like.

g)

1. it’s a combo between a locked note on my phone, listography and random notebooks i have lying around the house. i also keep a shortlist on notion with names i’m more drawn to, and have more in depth info about them on there.
  2. but for the names that are on my short list, or ones i’ve been really liking recently, i will (sometimes) collect the meaning, origin and any positive/negative associations/connotations. i sort them by gender usually, so like: fem, masc, neutral.
  3. no not really, i’ve tried but people seem so aggressive on other forums sometimes that i don’t really enjoy it :sweat_smile:

h) it’s got to be mercedes, that name has been on my mind for the last couple weeks!

a

1. i’ve liked googling names for characters & such since i was a lil kid (maybe 8? 9?) and eventually decided that i just liked names in general. i’ve been a name nerd ever since !
  2. i’ve been here since… 2019? on a different account, but i’ve been on nameberry at least three years.
  3. sometimes i log in before i go to bed, or i look at it on my phone when i’m bored. whenever, to be honest :person_shrugging:

b

1. i do love a lot of berry names (margot. alba. betty. frances.) but i only have 4 thumbs up on the top 20 user-favorite names, so… i suppose i’m not that berry :upside_down_face:
  2. not too often-- names i end up loving kind of just come to me. i suddenly remember that they exist, and then i love them (': but raphael i ended up liking because i saw it on the forums, so who knows?
  3. i have definitely come to see names differently; i think i’m less judgmental of other people’s name choices/styles, and my style has certainly become more varied. i’ve got a good mix of berry loves & other names. my major discoveries have probably been jane, monet, and raphael (i only started loving them after i came here!)

c

1. for feminine names? often. for masculine names? rarely.
  2. my long list might be forty names-- that’s including fem & masc names, though.
  3. girl would be greta monet, boy would be raphael arthur.

d

1. general name discussion is what i’m on the most, but i also enjoy browsing through cafs and name advice.
  2. hot takes is usually… entertaining… and name rants. name sightings is fun because you get to see lovely names used irl, and i also love the notd & the quick poll thread.
  3. i just like checking them to see what people have said, i suppose !

e

1. i love love love the berry community; everyone here is so kind, and i feel like i’ve actually made some ‘friends’ on this website. (you know who you are :eyes:)
  2. i have seen the place change over time-- i was here when comments on names were removed on the main website. i was also here when, quite recently, the everything but names subforum was deleted (r.i.p. teenberry thread :yellow_heart:) and i’ve seen a lot of the updates, bugs that have come and gone, & so on. i miss when nameberry was in its prime, but overall, i still love this website.
  3. bring back the teenberry thread :smiling_face_with_tear: i miss talking to my teenberries !! again, the community is one of my favorite things about this place.

f

1. surnames are cool, but obviously, i’m more into firsts <3
  2. etymology is awesome ! learning about the origin of words is actually really fascinating to me.
  3. i love pinterest. does that count?

g

1. in my notes app on my phone, my listography, and my UC (:
  2. i sort them by alphabet, and i typically don’t keep info about them on my lists.
  3. baby name dna i use occasionally, and i used to use the namehunter alllll the time. BtN is ok too, but i prefer NB to anything else !

h

1. greta greta greta
😯

Hey, do you know about the bookmark/reminder feature on posts? I only mention because it took me a while to discover and damn if it’s not useful when I do want to check back in on threads later and not forget.

On the three dots at the bottom of the post, hit the bookmark icon and it will ask you what time you want a reminder notification! I hope I’m not sharing something you already know anyway. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

a.

1. I was naming characters and I just found it super fun to look at lists
  2. [name_m]Just[/name_m] over a year!
  3. Anytime I feel like it (or when I don’t want to do something!)

b.

1. thumbs up, girls: 14, boys: 13
  2. Oh all the time! If I like it, I put it into a google doc!
  3. [name_f]My[/name_f] naming style has branched out. I still like my original favourites, but I’ve become a lot more open!

c.

1. [name_f]Every[/name_f] other day, almost… I find new loves, then drop them within 48 hours. They gradually slide from #1, depending on how much I like them
  2. Too long. It’s unquantifiable
  3. Yes. [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. Although the middle name changes almost daily.

d.

1. Mosty the Writer’s Corner, but when I have lots of free time (like now!) I’ll look at anything else.
  2. I like reading through ones that don’t take a lot of time, and I like posting in ones that seem like people wouldn’t mind when I join in (I get that no one cares, but it’s hard for me to regularly post things like this)
  3. I check the writer’s corner all the time, because it’s interesting, and the quick poll thread, because it’s quick and easy

e.

1. I like all the differing opinions and the new names I see every day!
  2. Not that much. I’ve seen one big change, and I don’t really have an opinion on it!
  3. Oh gosh. I’m not sure

f.

1. To an extent…
  2. Yes!
  3. I love writing and playing [name_m]Sims[/name_m]!

g.

1. Google docs, websites, notebooks, the notes app, random scraps of paper, my school planner… Anywhere!
  2. I normally just pick names I like (I basically live under a rock, so anything that isn’t directly related to me doesn’t touch my little “Chay-sphere”). For my favourites, I sometimes put information in a little notebook
  3. Not really

h. ALICE!! As always!