A bit discouraged- am I in the minority?

Well, I was using the search function for the name [name]Clementine[/name] on the " What names are you considering for your baby" forum and I am a bit discouraged. It seems like I saw more people saying the name was “too much” or “trying too hard” and not really usable outside of the nameberry forums. Am I one of the few who think the name sounds vintage and classic? I just don’t see how [name]Emmeline[/name] or [name]Eveline[/name] are any more “usable” than [name]Clementine[/name]. They have the same flow and number of syllables. Or do they mean it just wouldn’t work in their area? I live in the south in a big city but also have a ranch that we go to on weekends and holidays, is the name too much you think? Does it not really fit for that lifestyle? I guess I am just wondering what kind of naming “style” [name]Clementine[/name] fits into. Sorry for the rambling but I don’t plan on telling anyone in my family the name until the babies are born and I don’t want looks of horror to ruin the day/moment.

Also, on an unrelated note, do you like the twin names of [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] better?

I think [name]Clementine[/name] is usable (esp. with a cute nn like [name]Emme[/name], Lemen, [name]Cleo[/name]…) and I would wager to guess that it would be even more acceptable and usable in the south, sometimes I think we get biased input from the boards when one person states an opinion it encourages someone else with a similar opinion to respond etc. (not that they shouldn’t it just seems to happen that way)

As for you second question, I think [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] make a better set than [name]Clementine[/name] & [name]Sawyer[/name] (though I love [name]Sawyer[/name]) [name]Theodore[/name] seems to match the style and feel of [name]Clementine[/name] while [name]Sawyer[/name] feels a bit more trendy and hipster

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I think [name]Clementine[/name] is the ultimate hipster name. Which, you know, isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does kind of put it into the ‘trying too hard’ category. Which also isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it just shows that some people do have that image of the name and you have to decide if it’s worth it or not. It does have kind of a pretentious feeling (but I’m not really sure I believe in pretentiousness, anyway-- especially for a true name-nerd). Also, where you live matters a lot-- if her classmates are being named [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Augustin[/name], then she’ll fit right in. If they’re Madicyn, Kooper, [name]Nevaeh[/name], and [name]Jayden[/name], then probably not.

I personally think it’s a pretty name, and makes a lovely middle name. I would love to see a little [name]Clementine[/name], actually. And I definitely think [name]Theodore[/name] is better with [name]Clementine[/name]-- [name]Sawyer[/name] is too trendy and surnamey.

Oh no please please don’t be discouraged!! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]. Not just love but [name]LOVE[/name]!

A lot of people (not many on nameberry) think [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name] and [name]Kayden[/name] are the coolest of cool. Some message boards support those names, others encourage alternatives. My point is that you will always find people who both adore and despise the same exact name for whatever reason, so if you love it, that is what matters.

I am in [name]Texas[/name] in a large city, and we have ranches as well, so I feel like I identify somewhat with your statement about fitting with lifestyle. I would use [name]Clementine[/name] in a split second if my husband was on board. I think it is bold, feminine, adorable and spunky all at the same time. I can imagine a little girl named [name]Clementine[/name], a young teenager, a college chick, a woman standing at the altar with the man across asking if he takes this [name]Clementine[/name], and a very old lady in a rocking chair named [name]Clementine[/name]. It just works :slight_smile: It is beautiful!

As for your twin sets, I think both work well. [name]Clementine[/name] changes feel depending on the boy name it is paired with. [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] seem more classic or vintage, whereas [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Sawyer[/name] feel more hipster.

I hope you use the name. It is a stand out for all the right reasons.

[name]Clementine[/name] has been growing on me for quite some time now, and I, too, would be pleasantly surprised to meet a baby [name]Clementine[/name]. About the only problem I forsee is that she will probably spend her whole life having people sing “My Darling [name]Clementine[/name]” to her…off-key and wrong most likely. But I grew up hearing people sing the Beatles song “[name]Michelle[/name], My [name]Belle[/name]” sung the exact same way, and I came away still liking my name, so I don’t think that will spoil the name for her too much.

As for your other question, I think [name]Theodore[/name] works best as [name]Clementine[/name]'s twin.

Im going to directly answer your questions in the order you asked them.

If its used in the US I could possibly agree with these people.

Yes its extremely vintage. Classic name ~ not sure.

I agree with that, and Im not sure that they really are any more usuable. [name]Both[/name] names you mentioned are also rarely used names in the US, but they have the more common shortened version names to fall back on, [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]. [name]Clementine[/name] doesnt. Although Clemy is adorable. [name]Clementine[/name] has a little more flare then the two names you mentioned, [name]IMO[/name]. Those names feel a tiny bit more grownup to me, then [name]Clementine[/name].

They probably do mean it wouldnt work in their area, which makes sense. [name]Clementine[/name] is rare and its vintage, its a standout name and not everyone is comfortable using a name like that that.

She will likely be the only clementine in your town. I looked the stats up and in 2009, there were 141 Clementines born. Its a RARE name in the US. The average age is 60 years old, there are a total of 2484 in the US (wolframalpha for reference)

[name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name] is such a fantastic twin set, I love it!! It does sound like [name]Clementine[/name] would probably be usable for you, but you just have to decide if you’re okay with choosing a name that many (less style-conscious :wink: )people would consider to be a little ‘out there.’ Yes, the general public is a few steps behind Nameberry in terms of what is stylish and accepted. By the time [name]Clementine[/name] is school-aged, I have a feeling that her name would be more generally accepted and ‘normalized,’ (not that I’m saying it would be mainstream or trendy!) I think it’s a cool, slightly quirky, very sweet choice. And [name]Theodore[/name] is awesome.

[name]Clementine[/name] is a bit to much for my taste but I wouldnt call it unusable. I cant say how a non-namenerd would react to the name. Im so use to the name that I wouldnt think anything of it, but someone who has never heard it used before might react differently. I would suggest asking friends of yours what their reaction to the name is. That way you will at least know the general image of the name prior to giving it to your daugther. I agree with the other posters, it might depend on where you live. For some reason I can see a little girl is New [name]York[/name] being name [name]Clementine[/name].

I have been considering [name]Clementine[/name] as well and live in [name]Texas[/name]. I have long liked the name, but always assumed it was too much and would never seriously consider it. Then one day, DH said he loved the name and wanted to name our next daughter [name]Clementine[/name]. It is a definite possibility for us, but I do think that most people (particularly in the more conservative South) will find it extremely ‘out there.’ I do think that once people know a little [name]Clementine[/name], they will fall in love with the name, however. Actually, my biggest hesitation is the hipster connection. I really don’t want to name my kid the next [name]Lola[/name] or [name]Violet[/name]-a name that seemed SO out there and then suddenly exploded via a few celeb endorsements. I think [name]Clementine[/name] shows a lot of signs of this kind of trajectory. So basically, I don’t know what to tell you. :smiley: But I do like [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] as a set.

Thanks for the replies. I am glad to hear that not everyone thinks it is too “out there”. I have always loved the name and was surprised too by my husbands willingness to use it. I guess I always pictured more of a southern belle using the name than a hipster baby in New [name]York[/name], but I’m probably totally off :roll:

I know my mother loves it because she came VERY close to naming me [name]Clementine[/name] and has been dropping hints about me using it for my baby. I am more worried about my very opinionated sisters/extended family making comments about it but hopefully they will be tamer if the baby is actually here before I tell them :slight_smile:

I am having some trouble with middle names, though. I think we have definitely decided on the names [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] if they are girls. I have [name]Clementine[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Florence[/name] [name]Jane[/name] winning out so far but wanted some opinions! Thanks again for all your help.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]! And it was a Southern [name]Belle[/name] long before it was a New [name]York[/name] hipster! I think of [name]Clementine[/name] as:

Southern
Country
Western
Vintage
British
Upper class
Newly rediscovered vintage
And (alas if these are negatives for you) yupster and hipster

I think this is a good name – no – make that a great name! I can’t promise what yours or your child’s experience with it will be, but think about it – sixteen years from now who will think her name has a cool side – your [name]Clementine[/name] or the [name]Taylor[/name] next door?

It has classic roots (so there!), and I think [name]Clemmie[/name] is darling while [name]Clem[/name] is the new [name]Sam[/name] (from [name]Samantha[/name], obviously).

I think in some circles maybe this name is a bit edgy, but I have trouble thinking anyone will find it weird.

The song is the worst part, but an entire generation is coming into being that has never heard it. (Thank you, god!)

[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is fine. A big long, but I take it from both your choices, you don’t mind that. It has a lot of charm and just a touch of whimsy. I like it.

Thanks [name]Bonnie[/name]! Most of those qualities on your list are exactly what I picture a little [name]Clementine[/name] to be! We are by no means snooty or hipster so I hope that isn’t what people will associate the name with. I think the person makes the name and not the other way around, but still no one wants their kids to get teased.

I seem to hear the association with the fruit is stronger than with the song and I don’t want her to be the next “[name]Apple[/name]” you know what I mean?

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I like [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] better. [name]Both[/name] names seem more classic then [name]Sawyer[/name].

I totally think it’s usable outside of the forums. It may not so much lend itself to nicknames ([name]Clem[/name], [name]Clemmy[/name], Menny, Teen, [name]Tenny[/name]) but who says a nn needs to be a shorter version of ones name. It could be anything you want it to be.

Use both names. They are both excellent in my opinion.

My daughter is turning three next week. But when she was between 7-14 months we took a music & movement class where one of her little classmates was a [name]Clementine[/name]. I remember being surprised, thinking it was a bold choice, but that it was charming and quaint. Now I’m considering using it myself. Super cute with [name]Theodore[/name], btw.

A few years ago I heard of a girl named [name]Clementine[/name] and then my reaction was “What were her parents thinking?” Of course this was the age of Jessicas so it was very different in those days.

However, since then I think it is one of the nicest vintage style names. I think it is feminine without being frilly, it has a fresh, vibrant vibe, lots of energy and I think it is totally usable especially as vintage names are so cool now.

I think [name]Clementine[/name] may have red hair and loves stripey dresses with long sleeves or she may have long brown hair and be a little more subdued and bookish.

[name]Clementine[/name] may have a brother named [name]Atticus[/name] or [name]Henry[/name]/[name]Harry[/name] or [name]Landon[/name] or [name]Theo[/name] or [name]Charles[/name], her sister may be [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Phillipa[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Davina[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Tessa[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name].

I live in Australia so I can’t comment on other places but I don’t get the ‘trying too hard’ thing I would put [name]Nevaeh[/name] in that category.

So I would ignore those who will not embrace it and let your heart tell you what to do.

rollo :slight_smile:

I just saw your twinset’s names, and I have to say they are absolutely adorable together! I really hope you go with those!

No worries about “The [name]Apple[/name] Connection.” [name]Clementine[/name] has a long history as a name. [name]Apple[/name] did not.

[name]Cybill[/name] [name]Shepherd[/name] named her daughter [name]Clementine[/name] in 1979! So this choice isn’t as “rad” as some think it!

I have a friend with three boys (no girls). Her youngest is a teenager. Earlier this week, she told me that she always wished to have a girl and would have wanted to name a daughter [name]Clementine[/name].

Thanks guys for the support- we have officially decided on [name]Clementine[/name] for sure :slight_smile: Still on the fence a little with [name]Ramona[/name]. I really love it but DH is still on the fence about it. He likes it, he just likes others more. It’s just that the names he likes more don’t really go with [name]Clementine[/name]. He doesn’t get the whole sibling name matching. He thinks its ridiculous. He likes [name]Helena[/name], [name]Athena[/name], and [name]Ginevra[/name] with [name]Athena[/name] being his favorite. So heres hoping because [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] do make an adorable set :slight_smile:

I also agree that [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] make a much cuter sibling set. [name]Cleo[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] or [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Theo[/name]?