A blessing through tragedy...

[name]Deirdre[/name], my daughter LOVES [name]Cinderella[/name]. Last month the three of us watched the movie “[name]Ever[/name] After” (one of my favorites). I was talking to her about the movie and how [name]Danielle[/name] was really “[name]Cinderella[/name]” just like the cartoon one. And how “[name]Prince[/name] [name]Henry[/name]” in [name]Ever[/name] After was really “[name]Prince[/name] Charming” and that Charming was just his nickname, just like “[name]Dottie[/name]”. And then to add some more confusion in there, my husband added that there in a [name]Prince[/name] [name]Henry[/name]/[name]Harry[/name] in [name]England[/name]. I think in her mind all these people already existed, but she got so excited. Its really funny because not only does she look like a mini-me, our personalities are so similar and more often than not, I can connect her points of randomness together to make some sense out of it! She is adorable. :slight_smile:

One of the guardian families live in the States, and the other about 600 miles away in [name]Canada[/name] (the one with the older kids). His maternal grandmother lives in a different province. She does want to raise him, but we really feel she won’t be capable. She has been showing signs of stage 1 alzheimers. His paternal grandparents do live the closest and would be an excellent choice as well.

This is a situation that we are fully aware of… We don’t want to remove him from everything that he knows and especially his grandparents who are both grieving for his parents loss and theirs. My husband has also mentioned the possibility of us moving closer to them. Its such a difficult and complex situation that we are still trying to figure out. You know… actually writing all these thoughts out, kind of helps put a grasp on the situation.[/quote]

There is a wonderful book about a situation where a family adopts a very young girl whose parents have died tragically. It is called “Meet the Austins” and it’s by [name]Madeleine[/name] L’Engle. She wrote “A Wrinkle in Time”. I highly recommend the book even though it’s fiction. L’Engle handles the situation in a realistic and sensitive manner. “Meet the Austins” is one of my favorite books.

Thank you mirkat. [name]Dot[/name] is our very precocious 2.5 year old. She will be 3 in February. We think that she is adapting quite well to the idea of having two little sisters. She talks to her dolls and stuffed animals as if they are her “babies”. We have two dogs and she was “explaining” to one of the dogs about the babies and that they couldnt bark anymore. I think that my daughter would be able to adjust to having a brother and that we would be able to fully love him as our own, but there are just so many dynamics to this situation that we need to consider.

Are you having a boy or a girl? [name]How[/name] is your son adjusting to the new baby?

[name]Susan[/name], my sister has just seconded your recommendation of “Meet the Austins”. :slight_smile:

Dotsmom, I wanted to add my support and well wishes at this difficult and also exciting time. And it makes me feel wonderful that you feel comfortable enough here to share your story. I am constantly bowled over by the warmth and thoughtfulness of the nameberry community but this is the most moving example yet. We will stay tuned to hear your news going forward.

Thank you [name]Pam[/name]. I was actually hesitant as to whether or not I should post about this. I didn’t want to “break rules.” In the last month, I felt like (as silly as it sounds) like I bonded with these women while brainstorming names for my little ones. The advice I received was just like having a friend “tell it like it is” to you. Naming a child is actually an intimate and personal experience - so much to the point that when I really was feeling alone in this situation last night, I turned here. You really do have something special going on here and I really thank you for providing this for us.

Oh, [name]Kate[/name], I am so, so sorry to hear about little [name]Henry[/name] losing both of his parents, and I’m sorry for you and your husband’s loss as well.

I worked with grieving children years ago, and thought I’d suggest giving [name]Henry[/name] plenty of crayons/markers and paper to color with. [name]Art[/name] is a wonderful medium for young children to express their feelings without having to say a word.

[name]Even[/name] though you and your husband aren’t sure if you’ll be appointed as [name]Henry[/name]'s guardians, I think it was a great idea for your husband to spend some time with him, just in case you indeed are chosen.

From what you’ve shared, it sounds like of the potential guardians, you and your husband may be best equipped to raise [name]Henry[/name]–financially, emotionally, and socially, as your children are close in age to him. That said, if you decide that raising [name]Henry[/name] is too much for you, there’s no shame in that; two new babies, a potential new son, and several new pets is a whole lot of change at once, especially because it’s coming out of the blue.

I think you’re wonderful, and it’s clear that your husband is, too. Whatever happens with the custody, I’m glad that [name]Henry[/name] has you both, whether it’s as his new parents, or simply as doting relatives who keep in touch with him throughout his life.

In addition to the help I’m guessing [name]Henry[/name] will receive, I thought I’d recommend the book “After [name]Charlotte[/name]'s Mom Died,” which is written for young children who have lost a parent.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers…