A boy named Captain...

What do you think? Nn [name]Cap[/name] or cappy? [name]Just[/name] curious what the responses would be.

I’m afraid it’s a no from me.

[name]Sailor[/name] is apparently considered a name now, so I can understand the appeal of [name]Captain[/name], but I wouldn’t recommend using it, sorry.

I just imagined someone with this name going into the military and becoming [name]Captain[/name] [name]Captain[/name]. That made me giggle. I wouldn’t use it as a name.

All I can think of is the tv show Greek.

Feels like a nickname ala “Grasshopper”, “Mister”, or “[name]Buddy[/name]”… I guess you could actually use it for a fn but I personally think it’s crazy. I knew a guy in college called [name]Cap[/name]'n as in “[name]Captain[/name] Crazy”… he did not act like anyone you’d want to name your baby after…

As a middle name? Go for it. But as a first it gets a big fat no from me.

Oh my goodness…NO!

Possibly as a middle name, but otherwise, no. Sorry…

If you love the name [name]Cap[/name]. Maybe find a name you like that could use [name]Cap[/name] as a nickname - ie. [name]Caspian[/name].

If you like titles for names- maybe there is another title type name you like - such as [name]Laird[/name] or [name]Baron[/name] -
I think [name]Laird[/name] has a similar energetic and light-hearted feeling to it -

I agree, captain has a jokey nickname sound to it - captain awesome, cap’n cleavage, etc.

If you like title names :

[name]Duke[/name]
[name]Marshall[/name]
[name]Earl[/name]
[name]Baron[/name]
[name]Caesar[/name]
[name]Marquis[/name]
[name]Thane[/name]

No I agree with you all I just heard it from someone and was curious about the reaction to it!!

@ krazya_808 - THANK GOD!! haha

One-upping [name]Sailor[/name]. I’m more comfortable with occupations as names than ranks/titles.

Go for it!! You dont hear it everyday and that makes it cool…now a days if ppl can make up names y cant you call the baby captain… I wanna name my son [name]Jaxsun[/name]…and everyone is like OMGoddness no dont spell it like that…Y not its different!!! I say go for it!!!

I don’t understand why you would give a title as name - interestingly New Zealand just issued an official ban on such names. There’s an article on it here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/new-zealand-bans-odd-baby-names-no-more-lucifers-dukes-or-kings/article2102204/

At any rate, [name]Captain[/name] is NOT a good first name - neither is Mister or [name]Doctor[/name] or other title names, in my opinion. It would be unfair to the child to have to live with such a name.

You could certainly try to find a real name that could possibly have [name]Captain[/name] as a nickname - like [name]Caspian[/name] as another poster suggested. Or [name]Caspar[/name], I suppose.

Oops, I missed the entry where you stated that you won’t be naming a child [name]Captain[/name] after all…that you were just curious! [name]Hope[/name] I didn’t sound rude – I just thought it would be an unfortunate name! I’m glad to hear you’re not considering it!

I adore [name]Captain[/name] on a boy! :smiley:

I so agree!!!

I have had two students named Sir and [name]Lord[/name] and they were teased terribly. Another student was named Sir [name]Charles[/name] – same issue.

I don’t think you should do it. It’s like the boy [name]Doctor[/name] in the comic strip. Good for a fictional character, not a real child. If you like [name]Cap[/name] or Cappy, call your child that as a nn but give him a name he can put on a job application.

This is a no for me. The child will definitely be made fun of in elemetary school. [name]Captain[/name] Underpants is a very popular children’s series and it’s just one of the things that come to my mind when I think of what my little second graders would come up with!!