A brother for Bram

[s]I’ve been thinking of good first names to derive the name [name]Penn[/name] from, but am drawing blanks. Also, a name that goes well for his male sibling.

Suggestions?

PS: No middle names.[/s]

Please check a few posts down. I decided [name]Penn[/name] wouldn’t work with out last name, but [name]Bram[/name] does. Now we need a name for his brother, whom we’re expecting in another two months.

[name]Peregrine[/name]
[name]Petersen[/name]
[name]Patterson[/name]

I think anything that starts with P and ends in the “in” sound would work.

[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Aspen[/name]
[name]Crispin[/name]

I also agree with the previous poster.

Hmm, not a fan of any of those. Perhaps I’ll simply stick to [name]Penn[/name]. Short and simple. Unless I find something better. Thank you though. :slight_smile:

So any sibling names you see going well with [name]Penn[/name]? I’m not opposed to matchers.

I think that [name]Penn[/name] works as a name all by itself. I tend to like simple, strong-sounding names for boys. The band (Arcade [name]Fire[/name]) has a guy in it named [name]Win[/name]. That’s all. I think it’s pretty cool.

If you want other short, simple names to go with that one, I’d recommend:
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Bram[/name]
[name]York[/name]
[name]Ned[/name]

For a brother you could use
[name]Tony[/name]
[name]Levi[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Axel[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Cooper[/name]
[name]Cade[/name]

Hmm. I’ve decided against using the name [name]Penn[/name] as it sounds quite weird when said in conjunction with our last name. Monosyllables ending with an “n” are out. I have, however, grown close the name [name]Bram[/name].

So now I’m looking for a brother for [name]Bram[/name] :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing too popular or mainstream. Names like “[name]John[/name]” and “[name]Tom[/name]” are out. I am open to Irish/Scottish variants though.

What do you think of the name “[name]Tavish[/name]”?

What about [name]Evan[/name] - I absolutely love that name:-)

[name]Evan[/name] is not what I’m looking for. It falls under “too mainstream”, as do [name]Atticus[/name] ( :? ) and [name]Aiden[/name]. I absolutely love [name]Aiden[/name], but I don’t want my kid to be “the _____ [name]Aiden[/name]” as I had with three other kids in my grade named [name]Victor[/name].

I have mentioned that I do like Irish/Scottish names, but nothing like Aoibhan/[name]Eoin[/name], where it would be unpronouncable to most.

Oh bummer! I really like [name]Penn[/name]. To the pp who mentioned [name]Win[/name] [name]Butler[/name] from Arcade [name]Fire[/name] - he actually is named [name]Edwin[/name] nn [name]Win[/name], but given that, I still really, really dig [name]Penn[/name] on it’s own.

Longer thought? [name]Preston[/name], [name]Bennett[/name] (if [name]Ted[/name] comes from [name]Edward[/name], why not [name]Penn[/name] from [name]Bennett[/name]?),

Similar - [name]Tate[/name], [name]Griffin[/name], [name]Gideon[/name], [name]Hugh[/name], [name]Porter[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Nash[/name], [name]West[/name], [name]Dean[/name], [name]Miller[/name], [name]Cooper[/name]

Alright, adding “[name]Sullivan[/name]” onto the list for potential sib-names for [name]Bram[/name].
I was also considering “[name]Poe[/name]” (to go with the whole author theme) but an open-monosyllable just doesn’t work, and neither do his first two names ([name]Edgar[/name] [name]Allen[/name]). Any other suggestions?

I love [name]Bram[/name]!!!

Ideas for his sibling:
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Riordan[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Titus[/name]

GL!
T

[name]Desmond[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Callum[/name], [name]Eamon[/name], [name]Ewan[/name], [name]Murray[/name], [name]Damien[/name]?

Our top 2 boys names are [name]Bram[/name] and [name]Rory[/name]. I actually quite like them together as well.

I would like to second [name]Nash[/name], [name]Dean[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name].

Here are some others that I think are short/strong and not mainsteam:

[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Brock[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Cedar[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
Dutch
[name]Gordon[/name]
[name]Hart[/name]
[name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Keats[/name]
[name]Kent[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Martin[/name]
[name]Nico[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Reeve[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Ridge[/name]
[name]Ruben[/name]
[name]Rush[/name]
[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Vance[/name]

A name that I really like is [name]Tiernan[/name], I don’t know why but I think it just sounds beautiful. Especially for a boy. Not to sure it goes with bram though. What about [name]Remus[/name]? Or [name]Xander[/name]? [name]Bram[/name] is an odd name to come up with something to go with it that doesn’t sound horrible. [name]Hope[/name] what I’ve given you helps!

Thank you all for your lovely suggestions! While not all of them might have made it to our list, some of them did lead us to other names that we found pleasant. Here’s the list:

[name]Cort[/name] - indirectly came across it when I was reading up on [name]Kent[/name], which lead me to [name]Kurt[/name], which in turn lead me to [name]Kort[/name], and finally [name]Cort[/name]. We’ve got a [name]Cora[/name] in the family (one of my sisters in-law), so I’m wondering if this name is too close for comfort.

[name]Tyr[/name] - I’ve always liked this name, when pronounced [t?:jr]; closer to TEER than TEE-er. We’ve got other mythics in the fam, so I think this would fit in. The pp’s name suggestion helped.

[name]Dyfan[/name] - I liked [name]Damien[/name], but that was one syllable too long for me. Anyone sure on how this version of the name is pronounced? DIE-fin, [name]DI[/name]-fun, [name]DI[/name]-faan or something completely different?

[name]Ifor[/name] - Started as [name]Ewan[/name] >> [name]Ivan[/name] >> [name]Ivor[/name] >> [name]Ifor[/name]. What do you think of it?

Again, your help is much appreciated and welcomed.

Of those, [name]Cort[/name] is the only one I can get behind. I actually kind of like it. But the others are a little off the wall for my taste. They are so unfamiliar that they sound made up. Maybe it depends where you live.

[name]Cort[/name] and [name]Bram[/name] could work though.

love love love… [name]Abram[/name] nn [name]Bram[/name] has been hovering near the top of my list, and now I really want a [name]Bram[/name] a [name]Rory[/name] of my own :lol: