A brother for Cormac & Fiona

We found out we’re adding another brother to our family, with older siblings [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. I’d appreciate any comments on our list, rankings, or thoughtful additions to consider :slight_smile: We like Celtic names obviously, and we’re interested in using a Cornish name this time around. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband has Cornish ancestry, and we fell in love with Cornwall when traveling there together. The middle name will likely be [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], but we’re open to new ideas. Our last name can be deduced from my clever username.

Trowan [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]- Trowan is a Cornish place name where my husband’s family had a home on the sea. It’s a beautiful place, and it was quite an adventure finding it! I’ve had some hesitation with it because of the name Rowan; I wonder if it sounds made up. But I’m starting to care less about that perception now. I like the possible nicknames “Ro” or “Row.”

[name_m]Drake[/name_m] Wilder/ [name_m]Drake[/name_m] [name_u]Adler[/name_u]- Almost our first son’s name, but I couldn’t warm up to [name_m]Drake[/name_m] for him. I’m a little more open to it this time around, as it’s my husband’s favorite.

[name_m]Fergus[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]- I’ve always had a soft spot for this name, and when we told our children we were having a boy, my daughter exclaimed we should name him this. It would be a fun story if we indeed choose it :slight_smile:

[name_u]Jory[/name_u] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]- Cornish and a nod to my husband’s grandfather [name_u]George[/name_u], whose extensive genealogy notes led us visiting Trowan.

[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]- Not Celtic or Cornish, but [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] in that it sounds strong but has a softness to it. (We pronounce our son’s name with a soft ending of Cormick/uck if that makes this comparison make more sense).

[name_m]Pasco[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]- [name_m]Pasco[/name_m] is Cornish, and this name just seems spunky to me, especially paired with [name_u]Wilder[/name_u].

Thanks in advance, Berries! :hugs:

4 Likes

Wow, big congratulations @MissMarshall! Your children’s names are wonderful, as are your options for #3. I’m excited to see what you’ll pick :eyes:

Here are my thoughts…

Trowan: The sound of this isn’t my favourite, but I love the personal meaning this would have for you! It sounds so rugged and adventurous with Wilder too. It makes me think too of the Cornish name Lowen, meaning “joy”, which could be a lovely option for you too.

Drake: Cool and feels current, despite the long history. It sounds awesome with Wilder and does conjure up Cornwall for me, thanks to the character in Poldark. It does feel a touch more modern than Fiona and Cormac but not necessarily in a bad way.

Fergus: This is fantastic with F and C! It’s not Cornish, but definitely has the Gaelic vibe you clearly love. Fergus is such a handsome, rugged, underrated classic.

Jory: I really like Jory, but again I think you could get “is that made up?” questions, since it’s very uncommon and similar to the much more familiar Rory. But it’s such a great name and sounds like it has good family connections to you.

Hugh: Equally soft, strong and classic as Fiona and Cormac, but perhaps a bit less interesting than your children’s names and your other options? I wonder if you’d consider Lugh, which is the name of a Celtic sun god.

Pasco: Yay, someone considering Pasco(e)!! This is one of my very favourite Cornish names for boys; so sweet and jaunty. I really really love it, and it would be a fabulous fitting but unexpected addition to your set.

My favourites overall are Pasco and Fergus, but I really love your list and think some of the options with more personal meaning for you – like Trowan and Jory – could be a really lovely direction to go in as well.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Editing to add a few suggestions: Roscoe, Piran, Jago, Lowen, Artan, Jowan…

2 Likes

Congrats!

Love love love so many of your options, my favourites being Jory and Pasco, I think because they’re so zippy and interesting, go adorably with Wilder, will age well and match Fiona and Cormac so nicely without being too matchy. Seriously Jory is fabulous and I kind of want to steal it.

Honestly the only one I’m not fussed with is Drake - it seems out of step with your other children’s names and makes me think of ducks (esp with middle name wilder) rather than Cornwall / Celtic vibes.

Edit: just wanted to add two suggestions of Perran and Veryan - both are Cornish and remind me of your overall vibe.

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!

Personally I LOVE [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] and it fits so well with [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] ! [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] feels like the perfect combination

I love the significance of the town of Trojan and it’s totally a name you would not have multiples with

I also am swooning over [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] ! Style wise it feel perfect with your kids !

1 Like

I second [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugh[/name_m], they’re so handsome and fit perfectly!

1 Like

Your kids are so well-named! I love [name_m]Drake[/name_m] and [name_m]Pasco[/name_m] with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], so those get my vote

1 Like

Love your options and the meanings behind them. Particularly like Pasco Wilder, sounds great. Also Fergus (lovely that your daughter really likes it) and Hugh.
Other ideas: Gryfynn, Ruan, Kitto, Stefan, Tristan, Cadan and also like Jago and Lowen which have already been suggested.

2 Likes

I love the story behind Trowan, but my favorites with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] are [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] and [name_m]Drake[/name_m].

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with any of them. They go well together as a sibset imo.

1 Like

I’ve thought of [name_u]Lowen[/name_u], but then I just circle back to Trowan since it holds more significance.

I also get that vibe from [name_m]Drake[/name_m], as we like Poldark, but outside of that show I think people just think of the singer :roll_eyes:

I agree about [name_m]Fergus[/name_m]! I actually met another mom in a store once with a [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] and [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] in tow :heart_eyes:

I like the alternative of [name_m]Lugh[/name_m]! That hadn’t crossed my mind. There’s another Cornish place name Looe, but the spelling would look really made up to people who don’t know about it :joy:

And jaunty is the sense Pasco(e) gives me too! A more apt description than spunky :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please do steal it! The world could use more Jorys. I don’t think there are even many in Cornwall from what I’ve read.

I wish I could get my husband on board to like [name_m]Jago[/name_m]! For whatever reason he likes [name_m]Pasco[/name_m] but not [name_m]Jago[/name_m] :woman_shrugging:

And thanks for all the input! :relaxed:

[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] is my favorite!

1 Like

I adore [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] and [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]!

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] your naming taste so far. [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] are so cute together.

Of your other options, I like [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Pasco[/name_m] a lot. [name_f]My[/name_f] least favorite is [name_m]Fergus[/name_m]. I think it reminds me of Fungus. But I seem to be the only one!

1 Like

[name_m]Drake[/name_m] and [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] are my faves! So cute

1 Like

[name_m]Fergus[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u] is dreamy :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

I really seem to have a crush on [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] and [name_m]Argus[/name_m] lately and I don’t know why, but it has my vote

Other names suggestions I’m throwing in the hat.
[name_m]Jago[/name_m]
[name_m]Ives[/name_m]
[name_u]Jory[/name_u]
[name_m]Perran[/name_m]

1 Like

I love [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]

I suggest

[name_u]Everett[/name_u] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_u]Hale[/name_u] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]
[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Wilder[/name_u]