A brother for Elias

Hello! My son’s name is [name_u]Elias[/name_u] (nn [name_m]Eli[/name_m]) [name_u]Jude[/name_u] and we are expecting another boy. My husband and I fell in love with our first son’s name and are now struggling desperately with #2’s name. We both like the option of a longer/formal first name with a nickname so he can choose what he wants to go by later in life. Here is our very brief list. We agree we like these options but feel there must be a name that excites us more and jives with his brother’s name.

[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]: love the name but feel it’s too common
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]: not sure we want to commit to another “E” name
[name_m]Titus[/name_m]: big name for a baby and no real nickname option
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]: too Jewish-sounding for a non-Jewish family? :grimacing:

I’d appreciate any feedback and suggestions!

[name_m]Jonah[/name_m] is a great fit!

I would try to avoid another E name, you wouldn’t want to feel committed to a pattern if you have a third, fourth or more. I agree with you about [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and and [name_m]Titus[/name_m]. [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] feels religious to me, but I think it’s the best fit from your list. What about…

[name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Hugh[/name_m])
[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Hayes[/name_m]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Desmond[/name_m] ([name_u]Desi[/name_u])
[name_m]Weston[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] ([name_u]Andy[/name_u], [name_u]Drew[/name_u])
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacoby[/name_m] ([name_m]Coby[/name_m])
[name_m]Griffith[/name_m]

Thoughts? Good luck!

I love [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and think it’s a great fit with [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. I don’t think it is too Jewish sounding. So many biblical names have gone mainstream or become popular and non religious people and people of all faiths are using them. Some that come to mind are [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], [name_m]Levi[/name_m], [name_m]Asher[/name_m], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]Micah[/name_u] etc.

[name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m] - similar to [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], nickname [name_m]Manny[/name_m]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m] - nicknames [name_u]Jo[/name_u] or [name_u]Si[/name_u]
[name_m]Tomlin[/name_m] - nicknames [name_m]Tom[/name_m] or [name_m]Tommy[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] - nicknames [name_m]Seb[/name_m], Sebby, Bash, [name_m]Bastien[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] - nickname [name_u]Toby[/name_u]
[name_u]Royce[/name_u] - nickname [name_u]Roy[/name_u]
[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] - nickname [name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Langston[/name_m] - nicknames [name_u]Lee[/name_u] or [name_u]Sonny[/name_u]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] - nicknames [name_m]Gabe[/name_m], [name_m]Gage[/name_m]
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m] - nicknames [name_m]Abe[/name_m]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps! :slight_smile:

I agree that [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] is a good fit with [name_u]Elias[/name_u]. I personally don’t see it as specifically a Jewish name; at least here in Australia it’s used by families of [name_m]Christian[/name_m] faith too.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! I love a lot of the suggestions, but hubby is proving to be more difficult this time around! The more people said they liked [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], the more I’m coming around to it. I think [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] has officially become our top contender! See you all soon when we can’t decide on a middle name lol

I named my son [name_u]Elias[/name_u] [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] 2014 :slight_smile: