A Brother for Henry

We have a little guy named [name]Henry[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] and are now on the hunt for his brother’s name! We’ve narrowed our list down to the following two names (both middles are family names). Absolutely love to hear your thoughts, preferences and other suggestions!!

[name]Peter[/name] [name]Edward[/name] (while I like [name]Peter[/name] I haven’t reached the “love it” stage like I did instantly with the name [name]Henry[/name])
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Grant[/name] (concerned [name]Oliver[/name] while classic is rising very quickly, enough to make it trendy/dated?! thoughts?)

We both like the names [name]James[/name] and [name]Thomas[/name] as well. My husband loves [name]Montgomery[/name] (nn [name]Monte[/name]) and I absolutely love [name]Theodore[/name] (nn [name]Theo[/name]). Always open to more suggestions!

I [name]LOVE[/name] these names, and [name]Henry[/name] is my favorite boys’ name! :slight_smile:

[name]Peter[/name] [name]Edward[/name]: I think this is great, but you’re not wild about [name]Peter[/name], so it’s not “the one” for you. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Edward[/name] (nn [name]Teddy[/name]), and think [name]Edward[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] is adorable!

[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Grant[/name]: I adore [name]Oliver[/name], but I understand what you’re saying about its popularity. Personally, while I wouldn’t want to use a popular girls’ name, the same thing just doesn’t hold true for boys’ names for me. My favorites are [name]Henry[/name], [name]Edward[/name], and [name]Oliver[/name], and I’ll still use them regardless of their popularity. I think [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] is a fantastic set, and while [name]Oliver[/name] is becoming more popular, it’s a classic, and always will be.

If I had to pick between [name]Peter[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name], I’d go with [name]Oliver[/name], simply because I like it better. :slight_smile:

Like you, I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Theodore[/name], and think it would be fantastic with [name]Henry[/name]. What about [name]Theodore[/name] [name]James[/name] or [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]? Between [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name], well, I love them both too much to pick just one! Hmm…Okay…I’ll go with [name]Theodore[/name], because you love it, and won’t be worried about popularity. :slight_smile:

Other ideas (not that you need any):
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Gus[/name] (or [name]August[/name]/[name]Augustin[/name]/[name]Angus[/name], nn [name]Gus[/name])
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] (very popular, though)
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

If you don’t love [name]Peter[/name] then that isn’t the name for you. But I’ve got to say that [name]Peter[/name] is my very favorite boy’s name - my son is named [name]Peter[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name].
I also love the names [name]Henry[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], and [name]Edward[/name]!

Other favorites:
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Colin[/name] - can be a nn for [name]Nicholas[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]John[/name] nn [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name] nn [name]Vin[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]

Lately I also really love:
[name]Lionel[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name] nn [name]Rafe[/name]

but none of the above go with [name]Henry[/name] as well as your ideas and my fave list at the beginning of my post.
[name]Miles[/name]

[name]Susan[/name], you and I have the same favorite boys name, [name]Peter[/name], followed closely by [name]Phillip[/name]! (I prefer the two L’s, not sure why.)

I have to say that when calling two names I prefer the sound of one ending in y/ee sound and the other having the harder stop… That said, I don’t know how -ry fits into that.

Thus, I love [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Peter[/name] more than say [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Ollie[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Teddy[/name] (I always think more about what they will be called as nn rather than just focusing on the full names)

Therefore I love:
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]Peter[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]Phillip[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]James[/name] (if you will call him the full [name]James[/name], not [name]Jimmy[/name]… Which is cute just not my preference with [name]Henry[/name])
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] (dore)
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] and [name]George[/name]

All in all they are all fantastic names! Some of us just have funny little things that we prefer in combo…

Congrats!

I call my son Petie. Sometimes my daughter calls him Petie, too. At times we call him Petie [name]Kitty[/name]. Most people call him [name]Peter[/name], but from maybe 3rd grade to 9th grade, he liked to be called [name]Pete[/name]. It is no fun to yell [name]Pete[/name]. [name]Peter[/name] and Petie are more fun to yell. My daughter’s name is [name]Laura[/name], but lately I’ve been mostly calling her Voo-ah, Voovie, or Voo. [name]Don[/name]'t worry, I call her [name]Laura[/name] a lot of the time, too. Lately I’ve been calling my husband Hahee. I really love Hahee! It’s so whispery. It is a nn for Haha. I love the character Mr. Ha Ha [name]Jones[/name] in [name]Truman[/name] Capote’s “A [name]Christmas[/name] Memory”.
[name]Erin[/name], I have always liked [name]Philip[/name] with one “l”. I think it’s probably because my cousin [name]Philip[/name] only has one “l” in his name.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, please keep them coming! I love the suggestions [name]Simon[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Edward[/name] but simply cannot convince my husband of their charms. Very unfortunate!

Still concerned that [name]Oliver[/name] may be more popular than desired - anyone from [name]Canada[/name] on here? We’re living away from home now and may move back in the next few years. [name]How[/name] popular is [name]Oliver[/name] in Eastern [name]Canada[/name]?

Warming up to [name]Peter[/name] more each day - slightly concerned about the nickname [name]Pete[/name].

Oh I think if you call him [name]Peter[/name] he will be [name]Peter[/name]. Sure he will get an occasional [name]Pete[/name] but if he likes [name]Peter[/name] and everyone in the family calls him [name]Peter[/name], it’ll stick. Its just like [name]James[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] in that way.

I grew up with a [name]Peter[/name] and he was NEVER [name]Pete[/name].

I think [name]Peter[/name] [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Matthew[/name] sound SO cute together! both handsome boys names without being to popular or strange!
I love the names! Nice choices!

~[name]Bree[/name]

Oh, I think [name]Henry[/name] & [name]Theodore[/name] sound perfect together and I also really like the combo of [name]Theodore[/name] [name]James[/name], that way… he could go by TJ if he/you wanted.
Honestly… I dont like [name]Peter[/name], its one of those names I juts think of as a “dad” name… while [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Theo[/name] are both older names as well, they are names I can picture adorable little boys having…
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Grant[/name] sounds good as well, it sounds very strong. like a lawyer or president names.

good luck…!