A Brother for Lyra

See the results of this poll: First Name for Boy, Sister Named Lyra

Respondents: 107 (This poll is closed)

• Murphy : 35 (30%)
  • Ender : 37 (31%)
  • Lander : 13 (11%)
  • Aero: 33 (28%)

I think [name_u]Orion[/name_u] would be a perfect name for your baby boy if he just happens to be born between [name_f]May[/name_f] 20th - [name_u]June[/name_u] 19th, which would make him a [name_u]Gemini[/name_u] in astrology. The [name_u]Gemini[/name_u] constellation borders the [name_u]Orion[/name_u] constellation, which would make the name such a perfect fit! ;’) If he is born between [name_u]June[/name_u] 20th - [name_u]July[/name_u] 19th, then that would make him a Cancer in astrology. The Cancer constellation borders the [name_u]Gemini[/name_u] constellation, so the name [name_u]Orion[/name_u] would probably still be okay. :’)

Here is some information on both of the signs to help you with your decision:

• [name_u]Gemini[/name_u]-
    Symbol: :gemini: (Twins)
    Main [name_m]Stone[/name_m]: [name_f]Agate[/name_f]
    God: [name_m]Hermes[/name_m]
    Planet: [name_u]Mercury[/name_u]
    Element: [name_f]Air[/name_f]
    Metal: [name_u]Mercury[/name_u]
    Flowers: [name_f]Lily[/name_f] of the valley, lavender
    Traits: [name_f]Chatty[/name_f], flexible, eager, curious, loving, restless, civil, wild, devious, sarcastic, & witty

• Cancer-
    Symbol: :cancer: (Crab)
    Main [name_m]Stone[/name_m]: [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
    [name_f]Goddess[/name_f]: [name_f]Selene[/name_f]
    Planet: [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
    Element: Water
    Metal: [name_u]Silver[/name_u]
    Flowers: [name_f]Lotus[/name_f], larkspur, & acanthus
    Traits: Emotional, depressed, insecure, intuitive, sympathetic, touchy, moody, nurturing, spiritual, pessimistic, & greedy

If you want some name suggestions, then here’s some that will go with the [name_u]Gemini[/name_u] and/or Cancer sign for your baby:

• Names For [name_u]Gemini[/name_u]-
    [name_m]Hermes[/name_m] (The messenger of the Gods, [name_u]Mercury[/name_u])
    [name_m]Amos[/name_m] (Bearer or messenger of God)
    [name_u]Tate[/name_u] (Great talker; cheerful)
    [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] (Messenger of God)
    [name_m]Junius[/name_m] ([name_m]Born[/name_m] in [name_u]June[/name_u])+[This name can also be for the Cancer sign!]
    [name_m]Malachi[/name_m] (God’s messenger)
    [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] (A twin)
    [name_u]Jay[/name_u] ([name_u]Bird[/name_u]-like, chattering)
    [name_f]Erin[/name_f] ([name_u]Peace[/name_u]-loving)
    [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] ([name_u]Bird[/name_u]-like)
    [name_m]Keith[/name_m] (The wind)
    [name_u]Reece[/name_u] (Swift)
    [name_m]Zamir[/name_m] (Songbird)
    Nodin (Wind)
    [name_m]Callum[/name_m] ([name_u]Dove[/name_u])
    [name_m]Angelo[/name_m] ([name_u]Angel[/name_u])
    [name_m]Coleman[/name_m] (Like a dove)
    [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]/[name_m]Jonas[/name_m] (A dove)
    [name_u]Michael[/name_u] (An archangel)
    [name_m]Raphael[/name_m] (An archangel; one who heals)
    [name_m]Sherwin[/name_m] (A swift runner)

• Names For Cancer-
    [name_m]Arian[/name_m] ([name_u]Silver[/name_u])
    [name_m]Delmar[/name_m] (From the sea)
    [name_u]Dylan[/name_u] (A man from the sea)
    [name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_f]Happy[/name_f] guardian)
    [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] (The fair or white warrior)
    [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] ([name_m]Son[/name_m] of the home ruler)
    [name_m]Henry[/name_m] (Ruler of the home)
    [name_u]Jericho[/name_u] (The city of the [name_f]Moon[/name_f])
    [name_m]Julius[/name_m] ([name_m]Born[/name_m] in [name_u]July[/name_u])
    [name_m]Kelvin[/name_m] (Dweller by the river)
    [name_m]Kenn[/name_m] (As clear as bright water)
    [name_m]Kent[/name_m] ([name_u]Bright[/name_u] or white)
    [name_u]Kyle[/name_u] (From the narrow strait)
    [name_m]Lamar[/name_m] (From the sea)
    [name_m]Marland[/name_m] (From the land of the lakes)
    [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] (From the hill by the sea)
    [name_u]Michael[/name_u] ([name_u]Angel[/name_u] of water and silver)
    [name_m]Moses[/name_m] (Drawn out of the water)
    Murdoch (A mariner)
    [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] (Sea warrior)
    [name_m]Seaton[/name_m] (Dweller by the sea – a place by the sea)
    [name_m]Seward[/name_m] ([name_m]Warden[/name_m] of the sea coast – sea defender)

I hope this helps!ღ
~Astrathia

When I saw Lyra and the types of names you like most, I immediately thought of Cassius/Caspian. Osiris as well.
As far as names containing the ‘y’ as per your husband’s preference, the names Welsey & Westley came to mind first. However, here a few more to consider:

• Lysander (nickname ‘Anders’ is really cute, too, IMO!); however, may be a little too close to Lyra for ya’.

• Lyndon

• Ridley

• Boyd

• Byron

• Grayer (seems less popular than Grayson/Grey ATM?)

• Rhys

• Jolyon (nn = Jolly, Jon, etc.)

• Wylie

• Guy

• Cyrus

• Pryor

• Tyson

• Zephyr (really like this for you, but it may be too ‘out there’ for your tastes?)

[name_u]Rhys[/name_u] / [name_u]Reese[/name_u] and [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m] were in our top picks, but since our last name starts with an S we are trying to avoid names that end in an S sound because we don’t want the names to slur together when saying it quickly.

These are some great ideas, thank you so much! I’m going to show the husband tonight and see if any stick out to him! Any other suggestions out there?

Quick update: While looking at [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] (which my SO actually thought was cool! [name_m]Way[/name_m] to broaden your horizons, Husband!) he noticed [name_m]Eero[/name_m], which I had down on my top ten list as Aero. He is a BIG fan of Aero now, and it seems to be our top contender! We’re still looking and open to suggestions, but that seems to be our #1.

First of all, I must say that I love the name [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] ! Looking at your list, my preference would be [name_u]Orion[/name_u]… except it’s almost a tongue-twister to say ‘[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and [name_u]Orion[/name_u]’ with the ‘ire’ / ‘rye’ sounds. Your newfound love of Aero flows much better. I really like it! Some people may spell it [name_m]Arrow[/name_m].

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] is gorgeous!

I like Aero, but prefer it spelt [name_m]Eero[/name_m] so it’s not the same as the chocolate bar! (Maybe just a UK thing though?) And I do think [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is cool but I personally find it a bit too out there.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about Mylo or [name_m]Spyro[/name_m]? They’re both short ends-in-o names like Aero but you also get the y in there.
Or if you like [name_m]Doyle[/name_m], how about [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] or [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]?
If you like [name_u]Orion[/name_u] and [name_m]Arian[/name_m], how about [name_m]Amyas[/name_m]?

Kely (kyle scrambled)pron.[name_u]Kelly[/name_u];;,Kley(kyle scrambled),[name_m]Lyndan[/name_m] or[name_m]Lyndon[/name_m], Faxyn, [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] or Zeffyr, [name_u]Royal[/name_u],Dyalen(pron.dial-en)not dillon),[name_u]Arly[/name_u](lyra scrambled),[name_m]Nyles[/name_m], [name_u]Cory[/name_u], [name_u]Oakley[/name_u],[name_m]Foy[/name_m],[name_m]Zayne[/name_m], Landyr, Endyr, Skyler(has kyle in it),Wylder,Onyx,Claye(clare&kyle), Clayle

Some of our contenders are [name_u]Grey[/name_u] (which seems to popular now since [name_m]Grayson[/name_m] took off), [name_u]Langley[/name_u] (a castle we stayed at on our honeymoon), and [name_m]Wilder[/name_m] (cool, modern, and literary), [name_m]Jett[/name_m] (cool and spacey), Ender (literary), and [name_u]Kingsley[/name_u] (literary) or [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]. He still loves [name_m]Ryker[/name_m].

[name_u]Kyle[/name_u] really loves the names [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] and [name_m]Draco[/name_m], but says they are just a little too out there and not for us (He still brings them up all the time, though. I think its his version of a fantasy name list, which I think is adorable!!) or our conservative families.

We’ve really been struggling with boy names these last few weeks, and with the health complications I’ve been through since [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] I would really love to find [name_u]Baby[/name_u]'s perfect name to help me feel more optimistic and positive about the upcoming months. Finding [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] was just so easy for us and was an immediate perfect fit!! Its been very discouraging for us to struggle this much with a boy’s name after that experience. So thank you to everyone who has helped so far (and to dancersventure for being the first to recommend [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] to [name_u]Kyle[/name_u]!). Please please send me more thoughts and ideas. This has been a great avenue for my husband and I to explore new ideas and find great options!

Thank you so much for the [name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] recommendation!! My husband LOVED it!! He said he thought it was too “out there” for our name selection, but its the most excited he’s gotten over a name since we started the whole process. It led us to our current favorite, Aero, and has inspired him to look at other “out there” names that he added to a sort of fantasy list (but manly. A very manly fantasy list… :wink: ).

We picked Aero over [name_m]Eero[/name_m] because our last name has repetitive vowels already (“aa”), my husband has a backgroud is Aeronautical engeniering (so that makes it kind of sentimental), and we liked the look of the “a” better when they were typed with all lowercase letters. Plus, being from the states, we hadn’t even heard of the candy bar before! So there wasn’t any connection for us.

I like [name_m]Spyro[/name_m]… but it could be pronounced too many different ways. It could be said like [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f], Spear-o, or Spy-ro, depending on how a person reads it out loud. Since we wont be able to control how other people pronounce his name at all times, that might be a deal breaker for [name_u]Kyle[/name_u].

[name_m]Doyle[/name_m] is one I picked because it is a family name. My mother’s maiden name is [name_m]Doyle[/name_m], and with 4 daughters my grandpa was always a little bummed that the family name wouldn’t get passed on… so I had always thought that giving my son the first name of [name_m]Doyle[/name_m] would be a really cool way to honor him. That being said, [name_m]Clyde[/name_m] and [name_u]Flynn[/name_u] aren’t really our style.

Although original, I know my husband won’t like Kely for several reasons. First he prefers masculine names, and since [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] can be a girl or boy name, he will turn it down (he only likes gender neutral names for girls). Second, he’s not a fan of the inverted or scrambled names (I learned this when I pitched [name_f]Carlie[/name_f] as a possible girl’s name early in the process and he immediately shot it down because it’s the exact same letters as my own name, [name_f]Claire[/name_f], and I never realized it!). And that means [name_u]Arly[/name_u] is out for the same reason.

[name_u]Zephyr[/name_u] is one of my husband’s FAVORITES! However, its only on his fantasy list because it’s a little too “out there” for him or for our conservative families. Aero and Ender will barely fly with the grandparents ”

Now [name_u]Royal[/name_u]… [name_u]Royal[/name_u] I love! Kingsley and Kingston were both on my list, and it has the same feel. Kyle isn’t a fan of any of those, though.

[name_m]Myles[/name_m]: I know you guys weren’t a fan of the ‘s’ ending, but really awesome name
[name_u]Tyler[/name_u]: is this too mainstream?
[name_u]Avery[/name_u]: same as above, or too girly
[name_m]Clyde[/name_m]
Cloyce
[name_u]Connery[/name_u]
[name_u]Dylan[/name_u]
[name_m]Eddison[/name_m]: cool name
[name_u]Hayden[/name_u]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]: too mainstream?
[name_m]Leroy[/name_m]: not too common, has a y, but also starts with ‘l’
[name_m]Lloyd[/name_m]: same as above
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]: another cool name, pairs well with [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]

Space: Caelum (minor constellation, pronounced kylum or callum), Pavo (another minor constellation), [name_m]Altair[/name_m] (star), [name_m]Castor[/name_m] (part of [name_u]Gemini[/name_u]),

If you keep with the space theme, [name_f]Cassiopeia[/name_f] is a good girls name if you’re ever expecting again.

Most of the early ones you listed wouldn’t work due to commonality or femininity, but I really like [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]! I’ll have to try it out on my husband.

Caelum (Kylum sounds a little too much like [name_u]Kyle[/name_u] (husband’s name), and Atair rhymes with [name_f]Claire[/name_f] (my name). In my family all of our names sound very similar and it drives me up the wall! It takes 5 tries to get someone’s name right (like when you call your son the dogs name or your husbands name before you get it right) at family parties, so we want our kids names to be very different from ours or anyone else in the family. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a tiny pet peeve of mine with the family names :slight_smile:

I do really like [name_m]Castor[/name_m]. I think I might have pitched it to [name_u]Kyle[/name_u] already, but either way I’ll see what he thinks!! Thanks so much!

No Problem, Anything to help you guys! I also love space and aeronautics, so these names are right up my alley(and giving me ideas for future children of mine)! I also understand the calling everyone the wrong name thing, I’m pretty sure I have been called by the name of my dog at least once. There are other pronunciations of Caelum, like callum, and kaylum. Also, not sure if you saw this one, but there is Pavo as a name, which goes along with the trend of -o names being trendy, but it also is an uncommon name(and one I find really cute), and has that space connection as well.
*I love the name [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], it is beautiful, great choice for your first daughter!

So Aero might be out, now. We decided it was probably a little too “out there” for us, with our classic and conservative family. Right now our top contenders are [name_m]Lander[/name_m], [name_u]Murphy[/name_u], [name_u]Grey[/name_u], and Ender. I like all of them, and could see us having a kid with any of those names! We’re still open to suggestions if you have any, though. Nothing is decided, and we’re still on the fence about [name_u]Murphy[/name_u].

Okay, right now our top contenders are:

[name_u]Murphy[/name_u] - We’re a little on the fence about it, but we’re warming up to it. Comes from my DH’s favorite books, Xanth.
[name_u]Grey[/name_u] - Way too popular now that [name_u]Grayson[/name_u] and [name_u]Greyson[/name_u] are on the top charts, but we really like it as a possible middle name.
Ender - One of our favorite literary characters (from Ender’s Game), unusual, but still sounds classic.
[name_u]Wilder[/name_u] - My DH isn’t sold on it, but we still like it. Worried it might take off in a few years and be the new Hunter or Gunner.
Aero - Sounds cool and spacey, plus my husband was in the [name_u]Air[/name_u] Force and was an Aero and [name_u]Astro[/name_u] Engineer, so its kinda sentimental. Just worried that its too “out there” for us and our conservative families.
[name_u]Lander[/name_u] - Nickname [name_u]Lanny[/name_u] (after my DH’s father, [name_u]Lanny[/name_u]), but we’re worried that it sounds wayyyy to similar to [name_u]Landon[/name_u], which is too popular for our taste.

I like all of them, and could see us having a kid with any of those names! We’re still open to suggestions if you have any, though. Nothing is decided yet, and we’re hoping for more ideas as well as opinions on our current picks!

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and… [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] [name_u]Orion[/name_u] or [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_u]Orion[/name_u]. that’s my suggestion :slight_smile:

[name_m]Xander[/name_m] and [name_m]Evander[/name_m] are other thoughts based on your shortlist. Good luck!

Actually adding a few y names: [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], [name_m]Thayer[/name_m], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_u]Finlay[/name_u], [name_m]Amyas[/name_m] (I prefer [name_m]Amias[/name_m]), [name_m]Malachy[/name_m].

I voted [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] because Ender reminds me of Endermen on the game Minecraft, I think [name_m]Lander[/name_m] is too samey with [name_f]Lyra[/name_f], and Aero is a popular chocolate bar in the UK. [name_u]Murphy[/name_u] and [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] sounds adorable together!

The Ender books are some of my all time favorites. He’s such an amazing character! I voted for Ender because I think he would make an awesome brother for [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] (beautiful name btw).
Ender [name_u]Grey[/name_u] is super cute!

Aero is also really interesting. A bit out there but a handsome name!

[name_u]Murphy[/name_u] is okay. Not really to my taste, but it meets a lot of your criteria and sounds pretty well with [name_f]Lyra[/name_f].

Suggestions:

[name_u]Bryce[/name_u] is a character in the [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] books. Maybe too mainstream for you though. There’s also [name_m]Pryce[/name_m].

[name_m]Cyril[/name_m] might be an option if you liked [name_m]Cyrus[/name_m]. Also [name_u]Clancy[/name_u] and [name_m]Cyprian[/name_m]

Is [name_m]Doyle[/name_m] off the table now? I thought that was really handsome and would go great with [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]! There’s also [name_m]Boyd[/name_m], which is similar in some ways.

A few with Y that came up in my search and I thought were interesting: [name_m]Yago[/name_m], [name_m]Barnaby[/name_m], Gilroy, [name_m]Rafferty[/name_m], [name_m]Yancy[/name_m], [name_m]Selwyn[/name_m], Uthyr, [name_u]Yale[/name_u], & [name_m]Bayard[/name_m]

FYI, the Hungarian spelling of [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is [name_m]Sebestyen[/name_m] and a Russian variant is Sevastyan.