A Case for Keeping Names to Yourself: Puppy Blocked

Wooooooooooooooow. That is really terrible of them! I’m honestly shocked that they could behave so poorly. I hope they wake up and realize how hurtful they’re being. Good luck with those grandparents, hey? :wink: And you should definitely name your son [name]Felix[/name].

If you like the name, name him [name]Felix[/name] anyway. [name]Don[/name]'t let puppy naming stand in your way!

My friend told me a story about the exact same thing - Grandparents getting a pet and naming it the same name. I don’t remember the name but it was some horrendous combo name.

[name]Felix[/name], while not my style, does not deserve that treatment.

Warning, non-name related SOAPBOX

Please, please, please do not buy pets. Literally MILLIONS of animals die in shelters each year. The dogs and cats are not there because they are “bad.” Many are there because owners did not fix their pets and had an unwanted litter, or with this economy people cannot afford the animal. Some have been returned for the most idiotic reasons: it didn’t match the new furniture, for example. There are many pure-breed rescues, and up to a 1/4 of shelter animals are purebred. Finally, pure-breed does not necessarily mean “better.” All are at risk for more genetic diseases, and many of the more popular breeds have bred very badly. Adopt and save a life!

oh my god! That is sooo mean i would be annoyed beyond belief and would not have able to hide it! Its one thing if it was just a joke and they are really naming the dog something else, but otherwise thats terrible and i think you have definately got the right idea about sticking to your guns and using the name [name]Felix[/name] if you have a boy. Good luck and i think i will remember this post and it will remind me if and when we are lucky enough to concieve, not to discuss names with family!!! :slight_smile:

When my brother wanted to name his son, my mother hated the name to such a degree, she argued him out of it intensely, but it stayed as his middle name because it has meaning to his parents. Not sure how my sister-in-law feels about that now, but she had another name ready to go, nothing my mom loves, but she can accept it, and it’s kind of ordinary. My mother also did not like the name my sister and her husband picked for their son, but did not hate it so much, she accepts it. She is not one to adopt puppies just to … I mean, that’s not honest. That’s actually kind of sick in the head to conspire against your choice like that, and spiteful - they hate the name, so why would they give it to a dog either?

As for my mother’s reasons, she works in a school and saw the name “in action” so to speak. Hated the kid with the name, and that he got teased a lot for having the name, which I think are ok points to consider; my mom did not simply dislike or have a hard time with the sound or imagery. It’s kind of what we do here, only I imagine we’re much less aggressive (I hope) than my mom when we see a name that’s a potential cause of trouble for a child. In this case, do what you want. I’m not a big fan of [name]Felix[/name], but it’s not my kid either and I’m happy for you that you love a name and decided it. I’m not against it per se, it’s just not my style.

The nicest thing I can say about your parents is that they are childish and a little twisted. This is not something like they bought the sofa you liked for their house instead. You do not have to “lighten up” or choose another name - this is your baby, a quite serious matter! They are playing games with you, so immature I cannot even describe. [name]Don[/name]'t play with them. Stand your ground, and name your own child a name you love. I think that’s the high road here is to name him [name]Felix[/name] because you love the name you have chosen for him, not to act spiteful, or pick an awful name, or even try to fool your parents with a ridiculous fake name. They should come out of all this feeling foolish enough, especially if you don’t play back at them. If they don’t, at least your child will get the name you choose, not some compromise or a name chosen for spite, and they will have two Felixes. I just think what they did was rude and kind of mean that they think you should just get over it and laugh along with their mean plot.

As for my mother, though, I would still give a head’s up. If she truly despises a name for a good reason (to her), I want to know about it, and make the effort to accommodate her somewhat if it has the potential to cause conflict between her and me and her grandchild - I mean, she really has to make an airtight case against it. If she’s simply got different taste then I do, I can tell the difference, and go ahead with it, and she’ll live. At least I know she’s not adopting pets to spite me, she would always tell me her full mind up front about it if she has an issue so I can take it or leave it at will.

I wish you well it can be difficult dealing with controlling people.

WOW. Wow wow. Seriously that is horrible!!! I wouldnt speak to my parents if they did this. And funnily enough that’s our boys name too!!
Excuse my language but that is such a shitty thing to do.

I have to echo everyone else’s opinion that this was a terrible thing to do, not just to you but to their innocent grandchild. So they’re going to make him feel strange about his name for his whole life? Why would they want to do that to a child? I guess their response to that would be that YOU’RE making him feel strange by using the dog’s name. [name]How[/name] manipulative. I’m sorry.

If you want to write a guest blog about this for nameberry, we’d love to run it. Hey, maybe it will get picked up as a national news story. Who’ll be embarrassed then? If so, write me at pam@nameberry.com. (no pressure, of course – that’s the last thing you need) Good luck!!!

Oh no - i think that is really spiteful of your parents. [name]Huckleberry[/name] is a great name, they should defo go with that and ‘allow’ you to have [name]Felix[/name].

I learnt my lesson having my twins. I told everyone what we had decided, people turned up their noses (inc. my parents, but did it very subtly as they do respect that names were totally our decision) and it put us off the names. We changed the names at about 29 weeks pregnant and kept them secret. Everyone knew we were having boys so keeping the names secret was nice. People don’t dare turn their noses up at a name when the baby is there being introduced - if they do its more of a reflection them!

Keeping schtum is definitely the way forward!!

And just so you know, looking at the survey results that have come in, a definitely majority of parents have chosen to keep their name choice a secret.

Think of it this way- you’re gonna have one heck of a hilarious story to tell your son!