A Couple Questions

The name [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] was suggested to me and I really like it. I was under the impression it was pronounced like Or-rail-ee-uh. But On nameberry I it says it is pronounced Aw-reel-ee-uh. I much prefer it the first way. Is that an acceptable pronunciation?

Secondly- I love [name_f]Calla[/name_f], but I think I might like it more as a nickname! I looked at all the girls names that start with [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and I didn’t like those options. Any out of the box ideas to get the nickname [name_f]Calla[/name_f]?

I would pronounce [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] as “Uh-rail-ya” but I suppose I am not doing so correctly. I think it’s a very pretty name, but not sure if it goes with [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] (sorry, saw your other post!) [name_f]Calla[/name_f] is okay…I’m just not a fan of it. It isn’t my style.

[name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
[name_u]Calypso[/name_u]

I thought it was aw-ray-lee-uh, so I was way off. I don’t know if or-rail-ya is or not, sorry!

[name_f]Calandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Calinda[/name_f]
[name_f]Calista[/name_f]
[name_m]Calisto[/name_m]
[name_f]Calvina[/name_f]

Yeah, it is Aw-reel-ee-uh. Or-rail-ee-uh has nothing to do with the correct pronunciation, sorry.
As for [name_f]Calla[/name_f]… The only one that comes into my mind is [name_f]Calleigh[/name_f]? Sorry if I’m not helped too much

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Calla[/name_f] and none of the other “longer” variations out there. The closest I got was with [name_f]Calantha[/name_f], but it didn’t cut it. My favorite was [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] but the mispronunciations would get to me. I think it has great potential to be a double barreled name.

If you’re into surnames as first names, there’s [name_m]Callaway[/name_m] / [name_m]Calloway[/name_m] and [name_m]Callaghan[/name_m]

or random ancient place names: [name_f]Caledonia[/name_f].

[name_f]Callie[/name_f] can be a nickname for [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] so what about [name_f]Calla[/name_f] for [name_f]Carolina[/name_f], [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f], ?

Not sure if Calpurnia popped up on your quest. I figure anything beginning with a C/K, and containing A and L could have the nickname [name_f]Calla[/name_f].

When it comes down to it, I love her all on her own. Not a fan of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], but many people are!

When I say [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], it sounds somewhere between aw-RAYL-yuh & aw-REHL-yuh. I can’t say I’ve ever really come across it said with a long EE sound, but then again, I rarely come across it. [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is a lovely little thing though!

[name_f]Calla[/name_f] is nice as she is and could definitely work well stand alone. As a full name for [name_f]Calla[/name_f], [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] gets my vote. You could also get away with [name_f]Camilla[/name_f] or [name_f]Catalina[/name_f], both nice options.

I say it more like [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-uh. I guess it’s just personal preference with pronunciation.

I know a girl named McCallister or McAlister or something (I’ve never seen her name written out, so I don’t know how it’s spelled). She goes by [name_f]Callie[/name_f], but [name_f]Calla[/name_f] could also work.

I pronounce it Ahr-ell-'ya or Ahr-ell-ee-ya

I doubt that’d be actually right though.

I say it kind of like a mix between ahr-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-ah and oh-[name_u]RAY[/name_u]-lee-ah, so I think you’re just fine. I’ve heard [name_u]RAY[/name_u]-, [name_f]REE[/name_f]-, and RELL- in the middle, so I don’t think you could go wrong. You just have to be consistent with the pronunciation you want. :slight_smile:

As for [name_f]Calla[/name_f], I think it’s perfect on its own! [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] was my first idea, but [name_f]Calandra[/name_f] could be nice, too? Or something like [name_f]Claire[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f], nn [name_f]Calla[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Cate[/name_f] [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f] “[name_f]Calla[/name_f]”? I can’t really think of any others–[name_f]Caroline[/name_f] gets the nn [name_f]Callie[/name_f] sometimes, so maybe [name_f]Caroline[/name_f] or [name_f]Carolina[/name_f]? I think [name_f]Calla[/name_f]'s lovely, though, honestly, and I’d like to meet a little [name_f]Calla[/name_f] OR [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]!

Good luck!

I pronounce this name the way I would say it in Spanish which is “Aw-rey-lia” but in English it would differ just a bit to “Aw-rehl-lia”. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is one of those names that everyone on here seems to pronounce differently. I pronounce it uh-rel-ee-uh. It’s probably not a correct pronunciation but… I would always ask a person named [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] what way she pronounces it. For [name_f]Calla[/name_f], I like it as a nn for [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], [name_f]Calista[/name_f]/[name_f]Callista[/name_f], [name_f]Calixta[/name_f], or [name_f]Callia[/name_f]. I also like Calanthe (cal-an-thee) or Calantha.

I pronounce it Aw-rail-yah which is the same way they pronounce it in the movie [name_u]Love[/name_u] Actually.

I love [name_f]Calla[/name_f] on its own, but if it had to be a nickname, I would have it for [name_f]Calista[/name_f].

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is beautiful, I say it ah-rail-ya. [name_f]Calla[/name_f] is totally sweet too, [name_f]Callista[/name_f] would work! [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] is so cute and fun to say, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] has a similar pronunciation to [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] and people know how to say that. I think [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] would be adorable, I love all your choices! I think [name_f]Coralie[/name_f] is super special too, nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f] or [name_f]Coral[/name_f] nature related…

Oh, I like the suggestion of [name_f]Calanthe[/name_f]!

I think the pronunciation of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] as “[name_m]Ah[/name_m]-rail-yah” is a very American way of saying it which is fine; if your American then I’m sure it will be the most common way people say it.

The way I pronounce it is “Or-reel-ee-ah” (probably the same as nameberry version) which I personally think is the correct way to say it as it’s the closest to how you would pronounce “[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]” as in “[name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]”. It makes the most sense to me as [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is derived from “[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]”.

I’m Australian and we have named our daughter [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. I find many people struggle with the pronunciation here as well (even her aunts, uncles and grandparents), it does seem to be a name everyone pronounces differently.