A FAMILY FUED ABOUT ELLIS!! HELP!!!

[name]Hi[/name], berries!

I said in a previous post in, I think mid-[name]July[/name], that my DH and I were having a baby boy, going to be named [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Jacob[/name]. The problem is that my father, and [name]Jake[/name]'s mother are guilting us into getting a name change at the last minute. They think [name]Ellis[/name] is too feminine “once you say it a few times”. :roll: . My dad suggests [name]William[/name], nn [name]Will[/name], (he likes nicknames, and he thinks “[name]Ell[/name]” is too Legally Blonde esque, while my mom-in-law suggests [name]Henry[/name] (she likes boys names that are DEFINITELY masculine). [name]Jake[/name] is upset, because of the meaning the name “[name]Ellis[/name]” has to him, but he wants input, and honestly, I do too! The baby is due in less than a month. Thoughts on [name]Ellis[/name], [name]William[/name] or [name]Henry[/name]? PLEASE???

• [name]Lexi[/name] and [name]Jake[/name]

If you and your husband have chosen [name]Ellis[/name] [name]Jacob[/name], then stick with it! It’s hard enough for couples to decide on a name they both can cherish because they chose it together without having family members interfering in the naming process. [name]Just[/name] tell them : you love them dearly, appreciate their input but you have to decide what to name your own son. That should be the end of the story. [name]William[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] have never been favourite names of mine and they are also very popular.

Oh no! I absolutely love [name]Ellis[/name] for a boy! It’s currently #721 in the US and as I understand it, it’s very popular in the UK as well. Sure, the potential of [name]Ellis[/name] becoming a girl’s name is there, but what name doesn’t have that potential nowadays? I have only met male Ellises and I’ve always thought it was a handsome name. You shouldn’t let the grandparents sway you from using [name]Ellis[/name]. If that is what you and your husband love then you should use it. Once your parents are holding their grandson [name]Ellis[/name] in their arms, they will love the name as much as you.

Thank you! This whole name-changing dillema has been going on for about almost a month, and we’ve tried avoiding it. [name]Will[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] ARE popular, aren’t they? Maybe it’s because [name]Will[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] are barely heard where we live. Thanks again!

Thank you, SO much! We haven’t really thought about the global aspect of [name]Ellis[/name] for a while. The fact that you’ve only heard of boy Ellises lifts a weight off of our shoulders. Thank you!

Hey guys, it’s [name]Jake[/name], [name]Lexi[/name]'s “DH”. I think that’s “dear husband” from what I’ve heard. Thanks for the thoughts so far! We’re happy you like [name]Ellis[/name], and we definetley think [name]Henry[/name] is OUT (his name would end up being [name]HENRY[/name] [name]LEE[/name]… anyone remember [name]Henry[/name] [name]Lee[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]?)

Ugh.

• [name]Jake[/name] [name]Lee[/name] :ugeek:

I really like [name]Ellis[/name] on a boy and would never assume from reading the name that little [name]Ellis[/name] was a girl. If someone chooses to name their daugher [name]Ellis[/name] they are the ones giving her a boy name. This is your baby and you need to happy about the name. Maybe grandpa can call him EJ if he wants a nn?

That’s a good point on the nn EJ, maybe that would lighten up my father-in-law a little bit! Thanks again!

• [name]Jake[/name] :ugeek:

Your parents and your in laws already named their babies - now it’s your turn! You can listen politely to their opinions and then ignore them; at least, that’s what I do with my family members’ suggestions.

[name]Ellis[/name] is a perfectly good boy’s name. I grew up with a boy named [name]Ellis[/name] so I only think of it as a boy’s name and not as a girl’s name.

[name]Ellis[/name] is a strong name. The grandparents with best intentions may have a hard time at first because they’re from a totally different generation. [name]Baby[/name] [name]Ellis[/name] will need to be accepted by his peers. Personally I only take input seriously from younger people, especially people younger than me (('m 36). I like [name]Ellis[/name] because it’s unique, but not over to top (like, for example: [name]Elvis[/name]). Alternatively, [name]Elliot[/name] is nice. I wish it could be easier! I’m due in 10 weeks and still unsure. :wink:

I agree, [name]Ellis[/name] is a strong name. Not only that, but it has great historical connotations in the United States. It will make a lot of people think of [name]Ellis[/name] Island which will make them think of their family which will make the name endearing. I very much like it.

I love the name [name]Ellis[/name] and it is a boys name. It’s a shame this is spoiling something that should be wonderful for you and your husband. My advice is stop talking about the names with relatives for the rest of the pregnancy. This is your time and your joy and privilege to name your child. Grandpa will get past it and love the child no matter what he is named. Sometimes a name just needs some getting used to especially if it is unfamiliar. Good luck and be happy.

Stick to your guns on [name]Ellis[/name]!! It’s a great name - and it’s YOUR choice. I know a little boy named [name]Ellis[/name] and I’ve never met a girl [name]Ellis[/name]. If they don’t like “[name]Ell[/name]” than call him by his name - [name]Ellis[/name]! I’m always shocked at the nerve of relatives (mostly grandparents) trying to derail the naming process. They got to name their kids - YOU get to name yours. End of discussion. Can you tell I’ve dealt with this myself? :slight_smile: I guess this is why people keep names to themselves before birth.

I love [name]Ellis[/name] and I think it is pretty original. I think it’s a really handsome name.

[name]Just[/name] a thought if your forebears came to [name]America[/name] via [name]Ellis[/name] Island I think that it would surely persuade the oldies to like it more as that was the place where all the immigrants began their new life. It symbolises hope and a new future, just as a new baby in the family does.

rollo

[name]Ellis[/name] is a great name. There was a (male) [name]Ellis[/name] is my preschool class years ago. I’ve always loved it.

You didn’t let your parents name your other children so don’t let their critisim bother you. It is your choice, not theirs and I guarantee they will love him no matter what name he has.

Go with the name you both love.

Good luck!

Easier said than done, but do not be guilted into changing from a name you love to one you’re so-so about. [name]Ellis[/name] is gorgeous, and so handsome.

I live in [name]Wales[/name] where it’s obviously a very traditional male name. I know a little boy name [name]Ellis[/name] and my head master (principle) in secondary school (high school lol) was called [name]Ellis[/name] too so I don’t see it as girly at all. I loved a previous poster’s suggestion of the nn EJ to keep your relatives happy, but honestly, [name]Ellis[/name] doesn’t need a nn! It’s only two syllables anyway and so lovely on it’s own.

Please don’t be put off when you’ve found a name you love. I can see their concerns when you consider most “[name]El[/name]” beginning names are feminine, but what about [name]Elijah[/name]? Or [name]Elias[/name]? [name]Elliot[/name]? [name]Eli[/name]? [name]Even[/name] [name]Elvis[/name]?! All (bar [name]Elvis[/name] maybe!) are very traditional and popular boys names beginning with [name]El[/name] and some are even in the top 100 US names. So what makes [name]Ellis[/name] any less masculine? If anything, to me [name]Elijah[/name] is more feminine sounding because it has the “a” ending sound popular in girls names like [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Sophia[/name]. Not that I find [name]Elijah[/name] feminine at all! But just making a point :slight_smile: lol.

[name]Ellis[/name] [name]James[/name] is lovely - congrats on picking a wonderful name and I hope your family get on board soon!

Thank you, so much! We chose the name [name]Ellis[/name] in honor of my DH’s parents coming through [name]Ellis[/name] Island from Germany. Thank you again for your input!