A girl named Bo?!?

So, I saw the film ‘Signs’ not long ago, and the little girl in it was called [name]Bo[/name] and I absolutely loved it.
I don’t like it as a full name though, but the only names I can think of that could give [name]Bo[/name] as a nickname are [name]Isabeau[/name] and [name]Bonita[/name] or [name]Bonnie[/name], but [name]Bonnie[/name] is too nicknamey for me and I never cared much for the other two.
Can anyone think of other names that would give the nickname [name]Bo[/name] (or [name]Bonnie[/name] for that matter) for a girl? I thought maybe [name]Roberta[/name], but she’s terribly out of fashion and I don’t care much for her either…

I knew a [name]Bo[/name], but I’m afraid her full name is somewhat of an acquired taste - Boudiccea (bo-diss-ee-a), as in queen of the Iceni tribe who rebelled against [name]Roman[/name] rule in [name]Britain[/name]. I think it’s very nice, personally. :slight_smile:

What about [name]BO[/name] intials, such as [name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Olive[/name] (not the best flow), [name]Briony[/name] [name]Odette[/name], etc.? That would be a round-about way of reaching a “[name]Bo[/name]” nickname.

Take care, Dearest! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Bo[/name]. I also like the previous poster’s idea of the Acronym [name]Bo[/name]. We have been looking @ Scottish names and I saw Bonnibelle and like it. DH thought it was a little “out there” but not if you called her [name]Bo[/name]. Good luck, I think it’s refreshing & cute.

[name]Bo[/name] is a gorgeous nn! I read a book about a little boy called [name]Bo[/name] and his full name was [name]Boniface[/name], not that that’s relevant to this topic but just thought I’d share:)

I really liked [name]Jill[/name]'s idea of using initials B.O, I think that’s probably the easiest way of getting to [name]Bo[/name] and also gives you a lot of freedom. Some other suggestions:

[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Ebony[/name]
[name]Garbo[/name]

That’s all I could come up with sorry! [name]Hope[/name] this helped a little:)

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Don[/name]'t you remember [name]Bo[/name] [name]Derek[/name], she was a 10!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Bodhi[/name]? It is a boy’s name I know, but it has a bit of a feminine side that I think could work… sorry to all those who hate boys names being stolen for girls!!

I like [name]Isabeau[/name]. Most of the names starting with bo are obscure. The initials idea would definitely give you the most options.
ideas-
[name]Brynn[/name] [name]Orla[/name], [name]Belinda[/name] [name]Odette[/name], [name]Brisa[/name] [name]Odette[/name],

I knew a woman named Beaux, pronounced [name]Bo[/name]. I’m fairly sure this was here actual given name and not a nickname.

I love [name]Isabeau[/name]. And [name]Bo[/name] is really, really sweet nickname.

I like [name]Bo[/name] would make a cute nickname. [name]Isabeau[/name] is my favourite although [name]Bonnie[/name] is adorable.

Others:
[name]Ambrosia[/name]
[name]Blossom[/name]
[name]Bronwen[/name]
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Ebony[/name]
[name]Fabiola[/name]
[name]Isobel[/name]
Leoba / Lioba
[name]Roberta[/name]

I like the acronym idea too. [name]Bo[/name] is such a cute name. I too considered it after seeing Signs!

[name]Bo[/name] is a cute nickname, but I’d definitely use a full name for it, not an acronym. “[name]Bo[/name]” as an acronym looks to me like B.O., as in body odor. [name]Isabeau[/name] is pretty; I’ve never heard that before.

You probably know this already, but just in case, I thought I’d mention that the “first dog” (ie, the Obamas’ Portuguese waterdog) is named “[name]Bo[/name]”. That was my first association when I read the title to your post, and I thought, ‘Oh No!’

However, if you are just using [name]Bo[/name] as NN, then I think it’s okay.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!!
Nothing immediately peaks my interest, but perhaps if I let them grow on me like I’ve done with other names I might find a favourite…

And as for the initials idea, it’s a great one, but I intend to give my children two middles and I think it would be strange to give her an inital based nickname that only includes one of her middle names (or am I being too picky about that)

[name]Elea[/name], your suggestions were the easiest to get used to I think, but I’m also warming up to [name]Mirabeau[/name] and Ysabeau with a Y which for some reason makes it a whole other name to me… (I’m a little odd liek that!)

And as for [name]Bo[/name] [name]Derek[/name] and the first dog, no, I did not know about any of those. I do now though XD
[name]Bo[/name] is an awesome name for a first dog!!

And Themcivers: I’ve been looking at Bonniebelle as well, but she’s more whimsical than [name]Tallulah[/name] so I’m not sure how to match her! She’d be perfect for both [name]Bo[/name] and [name]Bonnie[/name] as nicknames, since I can’t bring myself to use [name]Bonnie[/name] as a full name due to her cute factor…

My own search led to the [name]African[/name] [name]Iyabo[/name] which I think is supremely interesting, but is far too outlandish for my tastes! She’s lovely though, and has both Iya (EE-ah) and [name]Bo[/name] as nickname possibilities!

Thanks again everyone!
If anyone has anything more to add, I’d be more than happy to hear about it!! :slight_smile:

Oooo! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Mirabeau[/name]!! Put me down in favour of that one :slight_smile:

“10” is a really great movie and you should buy it for your husband when he turns 42.

As for the name, I like [name]Bo[/name] alot, but not really digging on the suggestions for getting there. [name]Bonnie[/name] in itself sounds like a nn. And [name]Isabeau[/name] and the others ending with beau sound like made up names to me. The most legitimate ways to [name]Bo[/name] seem to be [name]Garbo[/name] or [name]Roberta[/name].

What a coincidence to run accross this post.

I am very short, and our baby girl has always been very big (as in, off the charts since birth). Well, the only explanation is that, on my husband’s grandmother’s side, everyone, man and woman, is big and tall. Their last name is Bodine.

So, just as a joke, I’ve started to call our baby girl [name]Bo[/name] (her real name is [name]Laura[/name]). My husband and I both agreed that [name]Bo[/name] is a great nickname!

Thank you for telling! [name]Bo[/name] is an excellent nickname, I think we all agree on that! ^^

Norsedad: [name]Bonnie[/name] does sound like a nickname on her own which is why I could never use her! And [name]Roberta[/name] might grow on me, but as of today I’d never consider her… I’ll remember “10”! ^^

[name]Mirabeau[/name] is a treasure, [name]Elea[/name]! I’m glad you like it! I’ve added her to my list of names that I want to [name]LOVE[/name] but still need to become more accustomed to… ^^

I understand that the name [name]Bo[/name] is a Welsh boy’s name.