A girl named Ezra

I was shopping in a kids clothing store yesterday and I noticed a mother calling her darling child [name]Ezra[/name]. I was supprised when I realized the child was a girl as [name]Ezra[/name] is historically a boys name. I don’t like the use of this name on girls personally, but I see the appeal in the sound.

What do you all think?

I dislike it a lot especially since [name]Ezra[/name] is my top choice for a boy’s name. I tend to like the softer sounding boy names and those are the ones often taken and put on girls :frowning:

I’m not a fan either. There are so many amazing girls names and it’s harder to find great boys names. [name]Ezra[/name] is completely a guys name for me.

I love soft sounding boys names would be quite disappointed if [name]Ezra[/name] was “stolen” by the girls as so many other soft boy’s names have been.

I love the name on a boy…but I’ve often thought that [name]Ira[/name], [name]Asa[/name], [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Isaiah[/name], [name]Elijah[/name], ect could go the way of [name]Elliott[/name].

I don’t really fear names getting ‘stolen’ by the girls. I would love to use [name]Sidney[/name] or [name]Morgen[/name] on a boy & I think that a ‘reclaiming feminized boy names’ trend might be on the horizon here in [name]Brooklyn[/name].

I hate it for a girl, honestly. I think it’s such a great name for a boy, and there are SO many wonderful girls names out there, why go with [name]Ezra[/name]?

Hmm, interesting.
Personally, I would have a hard time seeing it on a girl, just to devils advocate a bit though, I understand WHY [name]Ezra[/name] could feel feminine. In many parts of the world, girls names end in A, boys names end in a consonant, anything else feels slightly ridiculous because of language rules. [name]Ezra[/name] would feel very feminine if you put aside historical usage (which ok, back to the other side, most people have at least some familiarity).

I asked myself the same question since [name]Ezra[/name] was my top and only boys name, but we found out two days ago we’re having a girl. Still I agree with everyone else, it should stay a boy name.

I understand why [name]Ezra[/name] could be percieved as feminine (the E begining, the A ending) but it’s all boy to me. There are plenty of girls names out there with similar feel or sound. I just don’t understand why use [name]Ezra[/name] when (again) there are plenty of other girls names that could be used.

• [name]Athena[/name]

No no no. I think the parents must have fallen into the trap of “it ends with an “a” so we can use it for a girl.” It seems very masculine to me though.

Honestly when I saw the name on this site (before I ever looked it up) I assumed it was a girl name. I wouldn’t use it for either though.

I love, love, love it for a girl! It’s actually on my name list. Although it’s traditionally a boy’s name, there are plenty of people using [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Tyler[/name], etc. for girls these days. I feel [name]Ezra[/name] breaks the gender boundaries.

I do not like it at all.
I’d likely roll my eyes at hearing it on a girl.

I don’t like [name]Ezra[/name] for a girl at all. Granted, that’s probably because I like it for a boy, and if women start naming girls’ [name]Ezra[/name], then it’s out for my son.

I’m not a fan of stealing and gender-bending names, but I have to admit I actually prefer [name]Ezra[/name] as a girl’s name. (Although I would never actually do that myself.) Admittedly, it’s very feminine sounding.

kicks that mom in the shins

Are you even sure it was a girl? I’ve heard it on little boys from religious backgrounds where they aren’t allowed to get their first haircut until they are 3.

Leads to some very old masculine Biblical names on little children with long ponytails but its not a gender-bend at all really.

Anyway, I love [name]Ezra[/name], on a boy, and would only use it on a boy.

What state are you in lynae? [name]Just[/name] curious, because I know a female [name]Ezra[/name]! She’s one of the sweetest 5 year olds I’ve ever seen. But…I do agree that [name]Ezra[/name] is a boy name, not a girl name! (I’m in [name]Colorado[/name], btw.). Their reasoning was that they wanted a unique name. This lead to 2 daughters named [name]Ezra[/name] and [name]Ember[/name]! Cute kids, awful names!!

The first time I ever heard the name I was a child ( about 10 maybe?) and thought it was a girls name, it sounded female to me. So even though I KNOW its a boys name to me it will always feel feminine and I can see it on a girl