A little bro for Oliver...

[name]Hi[/name] there…long time lurker, first time poster! :wink:

I have 6 weeks until the arrival of our new little man and we are still no where near a name!

Our 2 year old is named [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Thurston[/name] (last name begins with and L) and I am looking for something that goes nicely for his new little bro…

Here are some of our thoughts so far:

[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Noah[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Charlie[/name]

So what do you like with [name]Oliver[/name]? Is there a great match that I missed?

AND suggestions for unique middle names are welcomed too!

[name]Hi[/name]! [name]Welcome[/name] and hope you find some feedback helpful : D. Congrats on expecting a little brother for [name]Oliver[/name]! [name]Love[/name] his name!

[name]Elliot[/name] - This sounds really nice with [name]Oliver[/name] to me. [name]Both[/name] sort of have some surnamey features and yet are solidly first names. [name]Both[/name] feel literary, and smart. I think some people might find them a little matchy (3 syllables, -li- sequence), but they are definitely distinct overall.

[name]Miles[/name] - One of my favorite names. I really like this with [name]Oliver[/name]. They both have a “word in the name” thing going on (without being overwhelming), and feel again sort of literary, English. Mixes it up a little more than [name]Elliot[/name] by being 1 syllable (or 1.5 or whatever depending on how you say it). [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] is a wonderful combo to my ears.

[name]Noah[/name] - [name]Noah[/name] is a fine name! I’m not loving [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Oliver[/name] as much as [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name] or [name]Miles[/name], it’s the Biblical vs. non- mismatch that does that for me (doesn’t do that for everyone), but it’s definitely OK. [name]Noah[/name]'s name starts with “no” and their initials together would be “N+O” (although could also be “O+N”) - this is the sort of thing that doesn’t bother most people and shouldn’t, but bothers a handful so I’ll point it out.

[name]Liam[/name] - [name]Liam[/name] feels much trendier to me than the other choices here (but still grounded enough by all means, just in terms of your style). I really like the name, but [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Liam[/name] sound a little mismatched, [name]Oliver[/name] is more distinguished and [name]Liam[/name]'s more rough and tumble, plus just non-Irish/Irish. It works enough for me. Although, depending on what exactly your last name starting with L is, the alliteration might or might not be good (I’m guessing you think it’s good, but make sure you’ve checked : D). [name]Liam[/name] just feels like less name than [name]Oliver[/name]. I really would like [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]William[/name] nn [name]Liam[/name] if you can go there : D.

[name]Rhys[/name] - My feedback is kind of similar to [name]Liam[/name], except that [name]Rhys[/name] has the advantages of being a bit less trendy, is a name on its own, and the lack of alliteration with your ln might be good, depending. Again, it’s just a lot shorter (moreso than [name]Miles[/name] - it’s not just syllables here, it’s number of sounds).

[name]Ezra[/name] - Similar feedback to [name]Noah[/name], but I like the sound of it better with [name]Oliver[/name]. Maybe it’s the vowel thing.

[name]Charlie[/name] - [name]Charlie[/name] is so sweet : D. What’s your reason for not wanting [name]Charles[/name]? Family tradition? Or too Dickensian : D? I think [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] would be delightful together. If you love it and/or it’s the family thing go for it, but I always want to advise against nicknames as full names – people [name]WILL[/name] assume he’s a [name]Charles[/name] at times, which seems like it would be annoying, and again, it just seems like less name next to complete [name]Oliver[/name].

So my rankings of the names as you have them (this is partly based on how they go with [name]Oliver[/name], but that all lines up to some extent with my thoughts on the names themselves):

1. [name]Miles[/name]
  2. [name]Elliot[/name]
  3. [name]Ezra[/name]
  4. [name]Rhys[/name]
  5. [name]Noah[/name]
  6. [name]Liam[/name]
  7. [name]Charlie[/name]

All best!

If it were [name]William[/name] nn’d [name]Liam[/name] or [name]Charles[/name] nn’d [name]Charlie[/name] I’d bump those two up under [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Elliot[/name], btw.

Thank you so much! This is just the type of insight we were hoping to gain!

Please keep it coming Berries!

Our little man will be here in less than a week and still no name!

We’ve narrowed it down to [name]Elliot[/name] or [name]Miles[/name] from my original list, but I’m also throwing in [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] as new contenders.

So what do you think?

[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]

Thanks! I really do appreciate your opinions!

[name]Charles[/name] [name]Aldrich[/name] L…

Lots of masculine poetry in that and you have your pick of nicknames.

I love [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Miles[/name]! [name]Miles[/name] [name]Henry[/name] would be dashing with [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Thurston[/name].

I like [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] or [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]!

[name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] are a handsome pair. [name]Simon[/name] seems great to me as well. [name]Elliot[/name] is either too matchy or too far away, I can’t seem to put my finger on which. :? I’m not a fan of [name]Henry[/name], but it sounds alright with [name]Oliver[/name]. I think my favorite would be [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Thurston[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] [name]Elliot[/name].

P.S. I agree with a pp that [name]William[/name] nn [name]Liam[/name] works. [name]Even[/name] [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Thurston[/name] and [name]Miles[/name] [name]William[/name] is a stunning pair.

• Ratty

[name]Henry[/name] popped to my mind first (of course…)

I love [name]Charlie[/name] from your list. I’d go with [name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name] but that’s just me.

From your new list, [name]Simon[/name] is also great. [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Simon[/name] is a fantastic set.

Also like [name]William[/name] nn [name]Liam[/name], but not just [name]Liam[/name] (too trendy, less substantial than [name]Oliver[/name]).

So, I love [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Simon[/name] or [name]William[/name]. I wouldn’t go with [name]Henry[/name] just because in my opinion [name]Henry[/name] is so expected with [name]Oliver[/name], for some reason either name makes me think of the other. Although that might be a plus for you?