A middle name to honor my mother

My mother and I are exceptionally close - think gilmore girls. Her name is [name]Johanne[/name] [name]Kym[/name] (she was named after my grandfather [name]John[/name] thus the ‘h’). She named me [name]Kimberly[/name], keeping the name going, although she says this is coincidence, she just loved the name. I want to use a middle name to honor my mother but I cannot think of any names - I just draw a blank. I’ve would love some ideas and have noticed your talent in this sort of thing from previous posts. I’m open to suggestions using both names, either name, anagrams, similar meanings, similar sounds etc.

Thanks so much in advance :slight_smile:

Hmmm, that’s a tough one, I can see your dilemma. All I can think of so far is Johlianne, Jolianne Jolianna or [name]Julianna[/name].

Good luck!

[name]Johanna[/name] [name]Camille[/name]

[name]Johnna[/name] [name]Camille[/name]

Thanks for the swift reply :slight_smile:

I don’t think I can use [name]Joanne[/name] or [name]Joanna[/name].

1. It’s also my mother in laws name - can be a pro or con except:
  2. They both dislike their names

I would prefer to use something different, it doesn’t have to incorporate the whole name. All I can think of is [name]Anne[/name], but that’s not very original. Anyway, it can be a combo or a version etc. And there’s also the [name]Kym[/name]/[name]Kimberly[/name] factor. It feels too short to use on its own, but it would be cute for my mini-me to have that connection with me and my mum.

BTW names I’ve come up with are:

[name]Jana[/name] - which works because I’m one quarter Czech and its also my grandmother’s middle name (but I’m estranged from this side of the family and quite badly to)
[name]Kiana[/name] - but it’s listed as a made up name and its not easy to say
[name]Jane[/name] - too plain for me
[name]Anne[/name] - feels like a place holder name
[name]Kym[/name] - I feel its too short but it may fit when I figure out the first names

These a just a few so you get an idea where I’m going. (note that I don’t really like any of the names above, i just wanted to give some examples to clarify).

So: [name]Johanne[/name] [name]Kym[/name] - name combo/ alternative/ similar/ nn ?

Many thanks.

[name]Johnna[/name]
[name]Jonni[/name]

[name]Kimber[/name]/Kymber
[name]Kimiko[/name]- a Japanese name
Kimbrell
[name]Kimana[/name]
Kimatra
Kimberlea
Kimeo
Kimetha
Kimone
[name]Kimball[/name]

I love the name [name]Joanna[/name] nn [name]Anna[/name]
Girl’s names that start with [name]Jo[/name]
[name]Jocelyn[/name]
[name]Joely[/name]
[name]Jolie[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Josette[/name]

[name]Johanna[/name] and its form are variants of [name]John[/name]. Feminine names that sounds like variants of [name]John[/name]:

[name]Evan[/name] - [name]Evan[/name] is a Welsh form of [name]John[/name]. [name]Evan[/name] can be a girl’s name, too.
[name]Gianna[/name] - Italian feminine form of [name]John[/name], would be a very stylish name.
[name]Jane[/name] - English feminine form of [name]John[/name], one of my very favorites.
[name]Jean[/name] - form of [name]Johanna[/name], Scottish - this is dated right now, but I love it.
[name]Jeannette[/name] - French diminutive of [name]Jeanne[/name] - I think this name is edgy cool.
[name]Ianthe[/name] - [name]Ian[/name] is a Scottish form of [name]John[/name]

[name]Johanne[/name], being a feminization of [name]John[/name] (the English form of the Hebrew name Yochanan via Greek [name]Ioannes[/name] to Latin Iohannes), seems to point to [name]Jane[/name]. See the entry for [name]Jane[/name] as well as International variations of [name]Jane[/name]. Perhaps your relatives “invented” [name]Johanne[/name], but more likely they heard it around. [name]Johanna[/name] is a real name in other parts of the world, and my parents were friends with a [name]Johanna[/name] in NY in the 1950s so not unheard in the US. It is the feminine form of f [name]Johan[/name] and [name]Johann[/name], which are forms of [name]John[/name] in places like Germany and some Scandinavian countries. Usually there, the J is pronounced like a Y, simulating the I in earlier forms, by my parents’ friend pronounced it with a J-J-J, [name]JoHANna[/name], not [name]Yo[/name]-Hah-na.

Try these lists and see if you find something you like:
https://nameberry.com/babyname/[name]JANE[/name]

https://nameberry.com/list/46/[name]Janes[/name]-International-Variations

[name]Joanne[/name]/[name]Joanna[/name] may also seem like a blend of [name]Jo[/name] ([name]Josephine[/name]) and [name]Anna[/name] (and in some cases of the name, may be intended as such), but it is derived from [name]Johanna[/name]:
https://nameberry.com/babyname/girl/[name]Joanna[/name]
https://nameberry.com/babyname/[name]JOHANNA[/name]
https://nameberry.com/babyname/girl/[name]Joan[/name]

****Rather than copy/paste the urls to pages, it is easier to look up [name]Johanna[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] and click around. Beneath some names, there is a list of LISTS with more names, such as international variations, and within each entry, some names link to other entries.

I thought of another name, it’s maybe out there - [name]Joachim[/name] (prn Wa-keem) - which I think is cool for a boy. The feminizations Joachima and [name]Joaquina[/name] may be possibilities for you to incorporate [name]Johanne[/name] and [name]Kym[/name].

They might seem a little too far for you to go, but it was just a thought I had to fit these names together.

[name]Johanne[/name] [name]Kim[/name]

I like [name]Jana[/name] prn Yah nah but it may have pronunciation problems.
I second the suggestions of [name]Jocelyn[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] nn [name]Jodie[/name].

If you wish to use the ‘anne’ part of your mother’s name the names are endless, for starters,

[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Stephanie[/name]
[name]Annalise[/name]

J names
[name]Jania[/name] ‘The [name]Lord[/name] is gracious’
[name]Jacquelyn[/name]

I like [name]Josephine[/name]! :slight_smile: Also if you do a search for names you can insert [name]Ann[/name]/anne/anna as a “ends with” or “starts with” you can find a whole bunch of great ideas that way! A lot of them PERFECT as a middle name.

[name]Giovanna[/name]?

Thanks ricamaca, I don’t know why I didn’t think of something like that. Five seconds later and I saw [name]Rianne[/name]/[name]Rianna[/name] (spelling?). I’ve always liked this name and my partner’s name starts with an R. WDYT? Also, if used, which would be the best spelling for both [name]Rianne[/name] and [name]Rianna[/name], and also thoughts on using an ‘h’ in either?

I would definitely go with [name]Rhian[/name], it is a Welsh name meaning maiden and it is the traditional spelling and pronounced as [name]Rianne[/name]. I say always use the traditional spelling. [name]Rhian[/name] is a lovely name, underused and pretty.

[name]Joanne[/name]
Joannah
[name]Jonah[/name]

My apologies for repeats

[name]Mika[/name] (a scrambled [name]Kim[/name] with an A)
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Annika[/name] (with the K coming from [name]Kym[/name])
[name]Jonquil[/name]
[name]Jocasta[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name] ([name]Kimberly[/name]'s ending)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Johannah[/name] [name]Kiersten[/name]
[name]Johannah[/name] [name]Kimball[/name]
[name]Julianne[/name] [name]Kimora[/name]

[name]Rhiannon[/name]! Welsh, means divine queen:) I think this might be what you’re looking for!

Can I ask what the first name will be? Or did I miss it somewhere? It helps me figure out which will sound best :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you have a middle name?
[name]Just[/name] thinking that another way to honor your mother might be to incorporate part of your own middle name into the baby’s name. You would both be using a name that she chose for you, as well as continuing her tradition by giving your baby a piece of your own name the same way she gave you a piece of hers.