A More Feminine Alternate to Paris?

I really like the name [name_u]Paris[/name_u] but I do find it to be a masculine sounding name (and it was originally a male name after all). So I was wondering if there was maybe a more feminine sounding alternate to [name_u]Paris[/name_u]?.. without sounding too trashy?
No I won’t name my son [name_u]Paris[/name_u] as I think this name has gone to the girls.

Here’s what I found:

Parisienne - which is a female citizen of the city of [name_u]Paris[/name_u] according to the dictionary (wondering if this maybe crossed into [name_u]Moroccan[/name_u] territory a la [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] [name_u]Carey[/name_u]) this is actually my favorite
[name_f]Parisa[/name_f] - a totally unrelated name but it contains [name_u]Paris[/name_u]
Parisette - I found this one online… it was an old time movie with a titular main character.
Parisina - A Lord Byron Poem

I even found a few surnames online

Parisena
Parisella - like [name_u]Jerry[/name_u] Parisella
Parisela

I also had the suggestion of
Parisiana - a friend of a friend has this name

[name_f]Do[/name_f] they sound too smoosh-namey? Or trashy?

(funny thing whilst I was posting I was also watching family feud where the question was - “What do you think [name_u]Paris[/name_u] [name_m]Hilton[/name_m] spends most of her time thinking about?”)

[name_m]General[/name_m] honest thoughts about the names are welcome… do you hate it?

If the general consensus is that [name_u]Paris[/name_u] or any off-shoot of it is a bad trendy name I’ll go back to [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and Esmee

I have to be honest - [name_u]Paris[/name_u] is a huge GP Of mine.
I think it’s lovely and I say go for it. Particularly if you have a strong connection to the city.
In ten years the playgrounds will be awash with Esmes and Seraphinas, but not [name_u]Paris[/name_u]’, and the [name_m]Hilton[/name_m] connection wont matter.

[name_f][/name_f] you know my opinion for [name_u]Paris[/name_u] so I will go to the options.

My favorite are Parisienne, [name_f]Parisa[/name_f] & Parisella. Very beautiful names.

Although honestly I think just [name_u]Paris[/name_u] isnt trashy. Is a bit of trendy but I think it’s cute and spunky.

Whatever your choose is gr

I like [name_f]Parisa[/name_f]!

In my opinion [name_u]Paris[/name_u] is actually two different names — masculine the Greek name (spelt Pâris in [name_m]French[/name_m]) and name of the city (from Gaulish). The latter is theoretically unisex: place names have been used on both genders for centuries ([name_u]Jordan[/name_u], [name_u]London[/name_u], [name_f]Siena[/name_f], [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_m]Troy[/name_m], Loreto, [name_f]France[/name_f]).

I’d rather see a girl [name_u]Paris[/name_u] than using a related [name_m]French[/name_m] / italian word as a name. [name_f]Parisa[/name_f] is your best option here.

Some ideas that could lead to the nickname [name_u]Paris[/name_u]:
Paraskeve > [name_m]Paras[/name_m] > [name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Parthenia[/name_f] > [name_m]Parie[/name_m] > [name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Parthenope[/name_f] > iden
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] > [name_f]Pris[/name_f] > [name_u]Paris[/name_u]

Another idea would be to use a double first name, paring it with a feminine/more classic name (and call her [name_u]Paris[/name_u] at home):
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Maud[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]-[name_u]Paris[/name_u]

Similar names:
[name_f]Persis[/name_f]
[name_u]Praxis[/name_u]
[name_f]Charis[/name_f]
[name_f]Karis[/name_f]
[name_f]Maris[/name_f]
[name_u]Pax[/name_u]

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Thank you sugarplumfairy for the suggestions.
I actually like Parisienne but I wonder how it would play off to name you child ‘a female citizen of [name_u]Paris[/name_u]’.

As an alternative to [name_u]Paris[/name_u], may I suggest Marais (pronounced MAHR ay). It is an arrondissement in [name_u]Paris[/name_u] that is home to the [name_m]Picasso[/name_m] Museum and it is a a sort of bohemian, hip, young intellectual, fashionable enclave. I love this name.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and Esmee are so much nicer!

I hate all of them, sorry! I think they all sound contrived and trashy. [name_f]Love[/name_f] the suggestion of Marais. I think other place names in [name_f]France[/name_f] would also work well.

I also agree that [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and Esmee are pretty.

blt726 it’s fine.
I know [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and Esmee are more well received on here and I like them; I just also like [name_u]Paris[/name_u] and it seems to be a generally well received name in real life as it has been in the top 1000 for almost 2 decades now. It is a hit or miss name and I can accept that…
I’m fine with the negative feedback it is just food for thought

I think if you like [name_u]Paris[/name_u], just use it. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t bother with the offshoots, really. :wink:

[name_f]Monet[/name_f] has been used as a girl’s given name. Or [name_f]Maryse[/name_f]…

Another alternative is Paryse. In [name_m]French[/name_m] there is a male name, Parise, pronounced pah-[name_u]REESE[/name_u]. But I once met a girl who went by that name, spelled Paryse.

If it’s the “p” sound that’s appealing, then you might find an alternative like [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_f]Priscilla[/name_f], [name_f]Patricia[/name_f], [name_f]Petrina[/name_f], etc.

blt726 that’s why I asked, I can understand why the offshoots seem trashy, I just wanted to see if it was just me. :slight_smile:

Mimiottawa I know a [name_f]Maryse[/name_f] and I didn’t like her that much so it is a bad association. I think of [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] [name_f]Monet[/name_f] when I hear [name_f]Monet[/name_f] and she was a tad bit on the unstable side. I like Parise though (without the y… thanks for that)

Honestly, I like each of the alternatives better than [name_u]Paris[/name_u]. I actually think Parisella is very intriguing and lovely. I was surprised when I actually liked the suggestion of a double barreled name like [name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f] or [name_u]Paris[/name_u]-[name_f]Marie[/name_f]. Parisina would be my second fav after Parisella.

cristinamariane Parisella was the first one I found and though I loved it aesthetically there still was a je nais se quoi about it, so I kept looking.

Parisina - I loved researching the meaning of names growing up and this name is rare enough for the [name_m]Byron[/name_m] association to stand out. I love 'Chide [name_m]Harold[/name_m]‘s Pilgrimage’ but this association I think is too heavy for a child to have.

I have a double barreled name so I prefer one long one as oppose to 2 combined ones.

[name_u]Paris[/name_u] is a place name, and therefore totally gender-neutral no matter how it ‘sounds’.

I don’t particularly like [name_u]Paris[/name_u] (a bit tacky, but that’s how I feel about most place names) and all of the ‘off-shoots’ are pretty awful in my opinion.

[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f], on the other hand, are both gorgeous!

Thank you for your opinion!
I love [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and Esmee as well.
I totally understand that it is a unisex name however I am not particularly fond of unisex names so I was trying to see if there was a ‘more feminine alternate to [name_u]Paris[/name_u]’. I understand that [name_u]Paris[/name_u] isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and that is totally fine by me… everyone has their own naming tastes and [name_u]Paris[/name_u] has been in the top 1000 for 2 decades and the top 500 for 1 decade so It’s a common enough name for me to not be too concerned about it.

I don’t like any of them. [name_u]Paris[/name_u] is okay, but I much prefer your other options of Esmee and [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f].

The tribe [name_u]Paris[/name_u] was named for was Parisii…always thought that’d make a cute baby girl name.

Honestly I think of [name_u]London[/name_u] and [name_u]Paris[/name_u] [name_m]Hilton[/name_m]…hmmm not a huge fan. Is it an absolute favorite name you can’t live without?

I love [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f]/Esmee.