A name for #4

[name]Lemon[/name] -
First of all, I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to all of our questions. You’ve been so helpful. I think we may need your help for just a little while longer. We’re almost there!

Second of all, I love that blog you wrote. All of the names [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] chose are absolutely amazing, but I’m afraid I’m not brave enough to use most of them. My husband has always loved the [name]Augusta[/name] nn [name]Aggie[/name] though. But, at this point we want a four syllable name and don’t want to repeat initials. Maybe for the middle though?

Anway, you bring up a good point about the similar sounds in [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name]. That is the one thing that is holding me back from the name. I love both names, but I don’t know! Are they too similar?

The idea of the nn G for [name]Georgiana[/name] has made me love it even more. I’m just worried about it coming off as pretentious. But then again, I live in Connecticut and most of the names I hear are a lot more pretentious. So I’m thinking it won’t be a problem, but I just don’t know. What do you think?

As for a middle name for [name]Elizabeth[/name], here is what my husband is thinking:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Nora[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Frances[/name]

If I remember correctly, you said you prefer [name]Elizabeth[/name] with the sib set. But now I worry that there are problems with both. We’re running out of time, but we were thinking about maybe revisiting our original list. So, I wanted to ask you, if you could chose any name for our daughter, what would you chose? I don’t mean to put the pressure on you, but we could really use some help!
Thank you so much,
[name]Emma[/name]

[name]Emma[/name],

Yes, I suppose there are issues with both, but I don’t think either issue is big enough to kick the name off your list. [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] share a similar vowel sound, but they aren’t too close. [name]Georgiana[/name] tends to sound a bit more upper-crust than maybe [name]Alexander[/name] does, but I don’t think it feels out of place or pretentious alongside [name]Lydia[/name]. G is darling as a nickname, too!

Of your husband’s selections, I don’t care for [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Nora[/name]. It’s a personal issue with [name]Nora[/name], to make a long story short. I think [name]Elizabeth[/name] needs a middle name with a bit more spunky, so I’d be inclined to choose [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]West[/name], those [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is beautiful, too. I also think something like [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Celia[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Helena[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]West[/name], or [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]West[/name] would be nice. [name]Do[/name] you like any of those?

As for [name]Georgiana[/name], I think something more classic and traditional would work best, and I thought of these: [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Helen[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] [name]West[/name], or [name]Georgiana[/name] [name]Madel/nameine [name]West[/name].

Okay, if I had the choice, what would I name your daughter? A tough one! Here are some of my ideas, beyond [name]Georgiana[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]:

1. [name]Evangeline[/name] - [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Harrison[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], and [name]Evangeline[/name]. It’s a different sort of feel, yes, but [name]Evangeline[/name] is an old name, a vintage name, if you will. It has a wonderful meaning - “bearer of good news” - and it is Greek like [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name]. It gives you great nicknames like [name]Eve[/name], [name]Eva[/name], and [name]Evie[/name] that aren’t too close to [name]Lydie[/name] in any way, shape, or form, and it has a romantic, feminine, sweet sound to it. It’s a striking name, as I like to say. Two issues - (1) using [name]Evangeline[/name] makes [name]Caroline[/name] a slightly less desirable choice for a future daughter, since both end in -line, and (2) using [name]Evangeline[/name] makes [name]Elizabeth[/name] a bit of a silly choice for a future daughter, as both are four-syllable names starting with E! Anyway, with your set, I’d choose something very classic with [name]Evangeline[/name], as in [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Helena[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Julia[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Evangelina[/name] [name]Maria[/name] [name]West[/name], or [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] [name]West[/name].

2. [name]Isabella[/name] - [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Harrison[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], and [name]Isabella[/name]. A very classic, elegant set, for sure. [name]Isabella[/name] is a feminine, sweet name with lots of history and, perhaps unfortunately, lots of use. If popularity is an issue for you - and isn’t it for your husband? - then maybe [name]Isabella[/name] isn’t for you, but it fits beautifully with your sibling set, especially since [name]Isabella[/name] is a regular [name]Austen[/name] character ([name]Emma[/name], Northanger [name]Abbey[/name]). [name]Isabella[/name] has a nice meaning - “pledged to God” - especially if you are of the religious sort, and it just flows very well with your last name. The biggest arguments against [name]Isabella[/name] are - (1) it’s so very popular right now, hitting #1 on the SSA charts for 2009, and (2) using [name]Isabella[/name] eliminates any chance of using [name]Elizabeth[/name] in the future, as [name]Isabella[/name] is a variant of [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Good news? [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], and [name]Caroline[/name] are lovely if you ever have another girl! For [name]Isabella[/name], I’d use something vintage for a middle name, like [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Briony[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Gwendolen[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Harriet[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Margaret[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Marianne[/name] [name]West[/name], or [name]Isabella[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]West[/name].

3. [name]Penelope[/name] - [name]Alexander[/name], [name]Harrison[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], and [name]Penelope[/name]. This is a quirky spin on classic vintage naming style, I think, and I like it! [name]Penelope[/name] is another Greek name, like [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name], so it fits in stylistically. It has a rather British feel to it, which is in keeping with your kids’ names, and it really is a vintage charmer. Yes, the name has conflicting images because of [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Cruz[/name], but that just makes it more versatile in my mind. It’s got a bit of a goofy meaning - “duck” - but makes up for it with plenty of nicknames, including P, [name]Pen[/name], [name]Penny[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], [name]Nell[/name], [name]Nellie[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], and perhaps the more adventurous [name]Pepper[/name] and [name]Posy[/name]. It’s really not as uncommon as you might think, too, reaching #252 on the charts in 2009. Negatives for [name]Penelope[/name]? Yes, it’s got a bit of a different feel, maybe a bit more hipster than you were looking to go, but it definitely, without a doubt, fits with your kids’ names. So, I can’t really say there is a huge negative against this one! Middle names? I’d go classic and sweet with this one, along the lines of [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] [name]West[/name] (PAW? Maybe not!), [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Frances[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Julia[/name] [name]West[/name], or [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Sarah[/name] [name]West[/name].

So, yes, those are my three additional suggestions for you, [name]Emma[/name]! Good luck!

L

emma,

i think you’re getting fabulous advice.

just wanted to let you know that i know an adult [name]Georgiana[/name] whose nn is “[name]Gana[/name]” (pr like “jana”). she loves it. also–her husband and siblings call her “G”. (husband actually calls her “g-whiz”—ah, newly weds! :wink: )

i know how easy it is to let nn-s influence a choice.

actually, i love all your choices.

good luck.

dee

Thanks for all the feedback!

We’ve decided on [name]Elizabeth[/name]!
But, we’re still not sure about the middle name! And she could come any day!

Here are some of the names my husband mentioned:
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]West[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]West[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]West[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]West[/name]

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] is definitely his favorite, but I’m not sure. [name]How[/name] does it flow?
We need your help!
[name]Emma[/name]

Hey, [name]Emma[/name]!

[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is my favorite! I think it flows the best, and I love it with [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] and the boys’ names! Sorry to your husband, but I’m just not feeling [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] - the flow just isn’t there.

Others I might suggest are [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Helena[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] [name]West[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] [name]West[/name], or [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]West[/name].

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: