A name for a girl with hiking boots on her feet and a book in her hands :)

We are expecting a little girl this spring! We quickly closed in on a favorite combo, but I didn’t want to miss the chance to tap the creativity of the Nameberry community :slight_smile: I would love to see what you all come up with!

I tend to be partial toward more “literary” names - rich but not frilly. My all-time favorite name is [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] (I love its rich etymology and history, and to me it evokes a snowy image). I also love [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f].

My husband leans toward names that you could call “spunky” and “energetic.” His all-time favorite name is [name_f]Petra[/name_f]; he also really likes short-and-sweet, down-to-earth names like [name_f]Tess[/name_f].

We are both fans of nature names, especially in the middle. Favorites include [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_u]Juniper[/name_u], [name_f]Willow[/name_f], and [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] (a variation of my own name).

Finally, there are a few family names we would be very glad to use. The most important to me is [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (my mother’s middle name) - it doesn’t work as a first with my husband’s last name but it would be wonderful to be able to use as a middle. Other beautifully-named, admirable women in our family include [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (my grandmother), [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] (my husband’s grandmother - I’d use the nickname “[name_f]Nell[/name_f]”), and [name_u]Simone[/name_u] (my great aunt).

In all, we’d love to strike a balance between spunky/outdoorsy and reflective/intellectual - imagine a girl who hikes to the top of a mountain and then pulls out a book :slight_smile:

What combinations would you choose? And what other suggestions would you add?

1 Like

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]

[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]

[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Petra[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]

[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Petra[/name_f]

I also like just [name_f]Nell[/name_f] for you, it’s short and sweet like [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and a family connection

[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]

My favorites over all:
[name_f]Nell[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u]

My first thoughts based solely on the title of the thread was a little girl named [name_f]Fern[/name_f] or [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]. [name_m]Reading[/name_m] your description, they seem to match your husband’s style a little more than yours.

I could you with a daughter called [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]. It’s the feminine, strong style of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]. It has some great energetic nicknames like [name_f]Indy[/name_f]. And it’s literary via ([name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]'s “As You Like It”).

1 Like

From your list, my favorite combos are [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. Other suggestions:

[name_f]Briar[/name_f]: This was the first name I thought of for you. Short and sweet as your husband prefers, but also elegant. Plus, it gives you the nature theme you like.

[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]: For the three incredible authoress sisters. A bonus: This is somewhat obscure, but Australian Olympic swimmer and gold medalist [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] lends an outdoorsy, athletic namesake. I think it would also go well with some of your middle options: [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f].

[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]: Short, upbeat name with a nice meaning. Plus, she is a literary character from one of the aforementioned authors! [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] or even [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] are nice.

[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maya[/name_f]: Your mention of [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] immediately made me think of this. [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] was the given name of [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Angelou[/name_f], which certainly means this qualifies as literary. A bonus: The meaning is pearl/daisy, so the nature theme is incorporated. I included the nickname [name_f]Maya[/name_f] because I felt that the full name [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] might not appeal to your husband, but that short and spunky [name_f]Maya[/name_f] might convince him. :slight_smile: [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is lovely.

[name_f]Celia[/name_f] (possible nickname [name_f]Cece[/name_f]): One of the most literary names ever, from the time of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] to now. It is beautiful and packed with meaning, but also short enough for your husband. It strikes me as a wonderful middle ground between [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] and [name_f]Petra[/name_f].

[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]: [name_f]Regal[/name_f], royal, and classic, with a fierce meaning and plenty of energetic nickname options. ([name_u]Lex[/name_u], [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_u]Lexi[/name_u], [name_u]Andy[/name_u]). Plus, it goes with virtually all of your middles.

[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] (possible nickname [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]): This is one of my favorites for you. It has a nature meaning (“forest,”) and is connected to literature through the brilliant (but tragic) Plath. [name_m]Rich[/name_m], historical, and with ties to many cultures.

[name_f]Lilia[/name_f]: One of the most gorgeous nature names. Does not have many literary ties that I can think of, but is the name of trailblazing gymnast and Olympic gold medalist [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] Podkopayeva.

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] nn [name_f]Dot[/name_f]/[name_f]Dottie[/name_f]: Another wonderful literature name! Obviously, there is the character from [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m], but there’s also the clever, brutally frank author [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_u]Parker[/name_u]. It has been in use since the 1500s, so it gives you the history and weight that you desire, but also the youthful spunk that your husband gravitates towards.

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]: [name_m]Rich[/name_m] and feminine, with subtle spunk and plenty of nickname options. A flower name that is criminally underutilized, and has been used in literature by [name_m]Balzac[/name_m]. [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] sounds so chic!

Honorable mentions: [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], and [name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]. Best of luck!

And one more: [name_u]Carmen[/name_u]!

1 Like

You have a beautiful cornucopia of names–reminds me of girls like Anne of Green Gables, The Girl of the Limberlost, and Jo March–bookish daydreamers. Here are some ideas that came to mind:

Carlotta Simone “Lettie”
Elora Scout “El/Lars”
Lena Josephine (Lena in honor of Eleanor)
Wilhelmina Grace “Willa” or Willow Grace
Teresa Laurel “Tess”

[name_f]Genna[/name_f]
[name_u]Loni[/name_u]
[name_f]Helia[/name_f]
[name_u]Darian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lotte[/name_f]

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f]! [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] [name_f]Willow[/name_f] has been one of my long-time favorite combos :slight_smile: And [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_u]Simone[/name_u] has an especially nice rhythm to it. I agree with you that [name_f]Nell[/name_f] works well in its own right and evokes a very similar feeling to [name_f]Tess[/name_f]!

Ooh, [name_f]Fern[/name_f], [name_f]Fawn[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f] are all new ones for me! Great suggestions!

First off, thank you for such an extensive, thoughtful reply! I feel like you really nailed our style. I particularly liked your suggestion of [name_f]Briar[/name_f] (my husband liked it too!) and I love the [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Angelou[/name_f] reference via [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] (I’ve also considered using [name_f]Angelou[/name_f] as a middle name). Interestingly, a lot of these names are also among the top favorites of close name-loving friends of mine ([name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Lilia[/name_f], and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]), so it made me smile to see them here! Thank you again!

YES - [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables/[name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]March[/name_u] is exactly the girl I picture :slight_smile: Wonderful suggestions! My cousin’s daughter is actually [name_f]Lena[/name_f], so it especially made me smile to see the pairing with my grandmother [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] :slight_smile: And one of my best friends recently had a [name_f]Willa[/name_f] (I agree, [name_f]Willow[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is a beautiful combination!)

Oh wow, these are all so unique! I especially like [name_f]Lotte[/name_f] - that’s a variation of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] I’ve never heard before.

[name_f]Samantha[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] comes to mind!

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] of Aquataine a really spunky ancestor of mine. [name_f]Queen[/name_f] of [name_f]England[/name_f], [name_f]France[/name_f] and a crusader.
[name_u]Marian[/name_u] from [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood