A Name For A Traveler

[name_m]Long[/name_m] post. Check end for summary/tl;dr.

Before I start, I just want to say, I usually don’t like to do this kind of stuff. But honestly, I’m lost. Somehow, I simultaneously have too many and too few ideas for this character’s name, and yet, I still haven’t found one name that I could really see this character having, so I’m hoping that someone who’s better at this stuff than I am can help me out.

I’ll start with some background on the story and character — I’ll try to make it quick, but if you’d rather skip to the next section where I talk about the requirements for the name, that’s fine. This part is simply for those who feel like they need this kind of information to name a character.

I’d say the story is best described as action-adventure, with a fair dose of fantasy, though without many common fantasy tropes (there are no elves, fairies, wizards, etc.; a magic system exists but it’s treated more like a martial art than a typical wands-spellbooks-and-cauldrons type of situation — not that I think those are bad, it’s just not my writing style).

The character this post concerns is an experienced adventurer, fighter, and magic-user who acts as a mentor of sorts to some of the younger characters. He has a caramel-like skin tone, long light orange hair, and pale blue eyes. (Sounds weird, I know. You can blame my Random Character Design Generator for that one. But I grew to like it.) He has a tendency to look bored. Personality wise, he’s a good planner and strategic thinker, dislikes taking unnecessary risks, and is usually reserved and secretive, especially around people he doesn’t know or particularly like, but is very loyal to the small number of people he considers his friends.

Name requirements and suggestions:

— The character is male, but the intended gender of the name is mostly irrelevant. I give my characters names intended for the opposite gender on a fairly regular basis.
— The time period that the name belongs in doesn’t matter either. Any works.
— The name of this character shouldn’t sound “normal” or common (ex. [name_m]Bob[/name_m], [name_f]Susan[/name_f], [name_m]Joe[/name_m]). Most names that are common in western society will likely fall into this category.
— It also shouldn’t evoke a feeling of richness, high society, or royalty (ex. [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f])
— Weird names are strongly encouraged. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if they may sound a bit silly. “Names” that aren’t actually real names are also encouraged.
— Short and medium-length names are probably more likely to work for this character, but a name being long doesn’t “disqualify” it or anything like that, so feel free to suggest a longer name if you think it could work.

I’ve had a couple of ideas, for instance, that the character’s name may be related to nature, plants, or animals in some way, or related to flight/the sky/things that fly or sailing/the ocean/traveling by water. These are definitely not requirements, but they may be a good starting point.

(Also, don’t hold back. Seriously. If you have name suggestions, even if you’re pretty sure they suck, I want to hear them. I’m desperate.)

Thank you for reading, and if you do decide to leave me a suggestion, thank you in advance for that as well.

Summary/tl;dr:

Need name for traveler/adventurer character in action-adventure story.

Gender and time period of the name doesn’t matter, but it should sound unusual, and not common or “rich”. Doesn’t even have to be a real name. Short or medium length is good but not required. Name meanings related to nature or travel are also good but not required.

[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
Ravelin
[name_m]Oswald[/name_m]
Arturus
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
Pyrrhus
[name_m]Jax[/name_m]
Alexandrite

[name_m]Maverick[/name_m]
[name_m]Delmar[/name_m]
[name_u]Marsh[/name_u]
[name_u]Calder[/name_u]
[name_u]Danube[/name_u]
[name_u]Tal[/name_u]
[name_m]Morrisey[/name_m]
[name_u]Lyle[/name_u]
[name_f]Emerald[/name_f]/[name_u]Elm[/name_u]
[name_u]Fennel[/name_u]
[name_u]Yarrow[/name_u]
[name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_f]Lotus[/name_f]
[name_m]Flint[/name_m]
[name_u]Rai[/name_u]
[name_u]Nori[/name_u]

Nice! My favorites so far are [name_u]Sage[/name_u], [name_u]Elm[/name_u], and [name_u]Calder[/name_u]. Thank you both for the suggestions!