A name for our baby girl?

[name]Hi[/name]! I’ve narrowed down our list of girls names with the help of family, but ultimately, I want to keep our name choice a surprise so I was hoping you’d be able to give your opinions on these names:

[name]Esther[/name] - while I’ve gotten some negative feedback from relatives, I’m still madly in love with this name… what do you think? If I had this baby today, she’d probably be [name]Esther[/name], but my favorites change often :slight_smile:

[name]Hattie[/name] - I think it’s really cute, but doesn’t age well… I really dislike the full names [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Henrietta[/name], so I don’t know if this is a possibility?

[name]Julia[/name] - like this also, but it’s a bit boring to me… don’t really know

[name]Evie[/name] - do you know of any full names? I adore this nn, but another one that probably wouldn’t age well w/o a nn

[name]Hazel[/name] - one I really love, but haven’t gotten much support from family… I think it’d be really fresh on a little girl

[name]Josephine[/name] - another one I love… one of my favorites!

[name]Violet[/name] - I really love this also but my mother hates flower names… ugh!

[name]Ruby[/name] - old fashioned yet so fresh! Absolutely love this also

[name]Adeline[/name] - it’s old fashioned, but has a trendy sound to it which I don’t really like, maybe it’s the [name]Madeline[/name] association?

[name]Vera[/name] - I really love this also, I pronounce it Vee-rah

others I like… [name]Frances[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Pearl[/name],

What do you think of these names? What are your favorites and why?
Also, have any of you had issues with what the family thinks about your name choices? I want my family to be involved, but some of the names I love have gotten a huge thumbs down from everyone. The really old fashioned names have been a big issue - I get groans when I even mention [name]Beatrice[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name]. I’m not quite sure what to do… I want them to like our name choice, but I’m beginning to figure out that you can’t please everyone…

Anyway… thanks so much for your input!

[name]Esther[/name] - I’m not a fan of [name]Esther[/name], but that’s just me. What matters, is how you feel about the name. :slight_smile: You asked why, and I suppose I just don’t care for [name]Esther[/name]'s sound, and my associating it with my grandma’s friends doesn’t help matters. I’m sure others who love [name]Esther[/name] will post, though. :slight_smile:

[name]Hattie[/name] - In and of itself, [name]Hattie[/name] is too insubstantial for a first name (just my opinion), as it sounds like a nickname (which it is). I, too, don’t care for [name]Henrietta[/name] or [name]Harriet[/name], so I understand your issue. You have many other beautiful names from which to choose, so if you have to say goodbye to [name]Hattie[/name], your baby will still have a lovely name.

[name]Julia[/name] - I love [name]Julia[/name], and I love [name]Juliet[/name] even more. If you find [name]Julia[/name] boring, it’s not the name for you! What about [name]Juliet[/name]?

[name]Evie[/name] - Like [name]Hattie[/name], [name]Evie[/name] is too much of a nickname to use as a first name, but a fantastic name when used as a nickname. I love [name]Eve[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Eveline[/name], and [name]Evangeline[/name] as names from which [name]Evie[/name] could be derived.

[name]Hazel[/name] - I do like [name]Hazel[/name], but it’s one of those names I would like to see on someone else’s child. [name]Hazel[/name] would be darling on your little girl.

[name]Josephine[/name] - [name]Josephine[/name] is one of my favorites, too!

[name]Violet[/name] - [name]Violet[/name] is another fantastic name! As for your mother hating flower names, this isn’t her child. She had the chance to name you and any siblings you may have. This is your baby, and you’re the one picking your baby’s name.

[name]Ruby[/name] - I adore [name]Ruby[/name]!

[name]Adeline[/name] - [name]Adeline[/name] is lovely, too. [name]How[/name] are you pronouncing it? I’ve heard both [name]Add[/name]-uh-line and [name]Add[/name]-uh-leen. [name]Adelia[/name] is a wonderful name as well.

[name]Vera[/name] - I’ve only heard it pronounced veer-uh and vay-ruh, so be prepared for pronunciation issues if you use [name]Vera[/name]. Personally, I don’t care for [name]Vera[/name], but I’m sure others do. What matters most, is how you feel about the name.

others I like… [name]Frances[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Pearl[/name],

[name]Frances[/name]: I love [name]Frances[/name], and [name]Frankie[/name], [name]Frannie[/name], and [name]Francie[/name] are darling nicknames.
I love [name]Francesca[/name] even more.

[name]Beatrice[/name]: An awesome name, and [name]Bea[/name] is too cute!
I’ve been preferring [name]Beatrix[/name] lately (it seems perkier), but both are lovely.

Matlida: I like [name]Matilda[/name], but don’t love it as much as some of your others.

[name]Pearl[/name]: I like [name]Pearl[/name] as a middle name, but not a first.

As for the whole family not approving of the names, this isn’t their child. This is your baby girl, and your chance to name another human being. You mother, aunts, etc., already had their children, and already had the experience of selecting the perfect names for their babies. This is YOUR time, your baby, your experience! If they like the name, great, but if they don’t, that’s their problem.

Granted, it hurts when people don’t like your names, and while it would be ideal if your relatives liked every name you choose, that’s not the reality, and you’re not unique in this situation. You need to make a choice between trying to please your family, or being true to yourself and the names you adore! You have so many gorgeous names from which to choose, and it’s such an exciting time for you. Enjoy it, and try not to let the disapproval get you down. :slight_smile:

From your choices, my favorites are: [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Violet[/name], and [name]Beatrice[/name].

I love [name]Evie[/name], [name]Julia[/name], and [name]Frances[/name], too, but I prefer similar names over these choices. For me, [name]Evie[/name] needs to be [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Eva[/name], [name]Eveline[/name], or [name]Evangeline[/name], and I [name]LOVE[/name] all of those names. I prefer Juilet over [name]Julia[/name], as it seems more elegant and sophisticated, and I prefer [name]Beatrix[/name] over Beatice, as [name]Beatrix[/name] seems fresher and perkier.

If you had listed [name]Beatrix[/name], it would have been my clear favorite.

If I had to choose one name from your list as it is, I’d go with [name]Josephine[/name]. It’s elegant, yet down to earth, and love [name]Josie[/name] as a nickname.

All of your names are lovely, though, and you can’t go wrong!

[name]Julia[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Eva[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] [name]Julia[/name] (I love this!)
[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Adeline[/name] (so cute!)
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (I [name]LOVE[/name] this!)
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] (I love it!)
[name]Beatrix[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name] [name]Violet[/name] (so pretty!)
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Vera[/name] [name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Eve[/name] (pretty!)
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] (wow!)
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]

Best wishes!

[name]Esther[/name] - I don’t love or hate this name. Its kind of just neutral for me but I think it might be because I knew quite a few Esthers growing up and influences how I feel.

[name]Hattie[/name] - I dislike this name. It sounds incomplete but I also do not like the options of [name]Harriet[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name].

[name]Julia[/name] - [name]Julia[/name] is cute. I can see it on an adult and a baby.

[name]Evie[/name] - All I can think of is [name]Evelyn[/name] or [name]Eve[/name] to go with this. [name]Evie[/name] is cute though but it doesn’t seem like it will age well.

[name]Hazel[/name] - This is cute and definitely unique.

[name]Josephine[/name] - [name]Love[/name] love love [name]Josephine[/name].

[name]Violet[/name] - I adore this name too, sadly my husband does not.

[name]Ruby[/name] - I love this name too.

[name]Adeline[/name] - I dont really love this, I find the spelling a bit awkward and it does look like [name]Madeline[/name] chopped off.

[name]Vera[/name] - I like it said Ve-ra. Its nice.

I adore [name]Beatrice[/name] ([name]Beatrix[/name]) and [name]Matilda[/name] of your other names.

My favourite is [name]Frances[/name]

[name]Evie[/name]- would use [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Evie[/name] as Nn.

I also like [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] & [name]Pearl[/name].

Other suggestion [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Winifred[/name] & [name]Ophelie[/name].

[name]How[/name] about [name]Genevieve[/name] as a full name for [name]Evie[/name]?

[name]Esther[/name] - I love this name although it sounds a bit heavy

[name]Hattie[/name] - very cute, but I don’t like [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Henrietta[/name], but maybe I will like them better as they get popular. They will get very popular, I think. Especially [name]Harriet[/name].

[name]Julia[/name] - so elegant and timeless, also love [name]Juliet[/name]

[name]Evie[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name] - so cute

[name]Josephine[/name] - regal, one of my faves, too!

[name]Violet[/name] - My mom-in-law and dad were down on our choice for our son’s name [name]Peter[/name]. We didn’t listen to them. A few months after [name]Peter[/name] was born, my mother-in-law said she loved the name [name]Peter[/name]. [name]Just[/name] worry about what you and your husband or partner think about names. If you let everyone in the fam help decide, then it’s harder and harder for the two of you to be really happy with the name choice.

[name]Ruby[/name] - love

[name]Adeline[/name] - don’t like as much as some of the others

[name]Vera[/name] - I really love this also, I pronounce it Vee-rah. I love it, too. Can be short for [name]Veronica[/name], one of my very, very faves!

others I like… [name]Frances[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], - I love all these names so much!

What do you think of these names? What are your favorites and why?

My fave is [name]Veronica[/name] because I love names that start with “V” so much right now. [name]Veronica[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]!

[name]Esther[/name] - I’m a big fan. It’s a pretty name that would be so sweet on a little girl, and [name]Esther[/name] is one of my favorite biblical heroines!

[name]Hattie[/name] - Oh my gracious, I think [name]Hattie[/name] is precious! With a substantial middle name, it wouldn’t feel quite so nicknamey.

[name]Julia[/name] - I’m with you, a bit boring.

[name]Evie[/name] - I love [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] as full name options.

[name]Hazel[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] it; one of the sweetest ladies I know is named [name]Hazel[/name], and she makes me just adore this name.

[name]Josephine[/name] - a very regal name, and [name]Josie[/name]/[name]Jojo[/name] are cute nn options!

[name]Violet[/name] - pretty, but I like this one better as a mn

[name]Ruby[/name] - super trendy; I doubt she’d be the only [name]Ruby[/name] in her class, so if that’s a concern for you…

[name]Adeline[/name] - It’s pretty, but I’m not crazy about it

[name]Vera[/name] - I’m not there yet, but it’s growing on me.

From your others, I have to say that I adore [name]Frances[/name]!

Out of all of them, my favorites are [name]Frances[/name], [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Hattie[/name], but I like very old-fashioned white-haired lady names. :slight_smile: I just find them refreshing in a sea of Graces, Emmas, Olivias and Annas.

I don’t weigh what family thinks too much. I mean, I’d hear them out because they might have a point (“Really, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to name him [name]Lavendar[/name] [name]Sunshine[/name].”), but particularly if they’re past the baby-naming phase of their life, they sometimes don’t realize that old lady names are quite fashionable. :slight_smile: They might be afraid that [name]Beatrice[/name] is going to be harrassed on the playground when in reality there will probably be more than one little girl with that name!

[name]Esther[/name] - I think [name]Esther[/name]'s pretty. I have trouble saying [name]Esther[/name], always feels lispy coming out of my mouth. But I can see why she appeals. Not my favorite Biblical queen either (her predecessor, [name]Vashti[/name] is) but again, [name]Esther[/name] is appealing.

[name]Hattie[/name] - Too bad you don’t like [name]Harriet[/name] or [name]Henrietta[/name]. I’m a huge fan of [name]Henrietta[/name] and she’s on our own lists, but [name]Hattie[/name] as a standalone ranked on the SSA charts from 1880 to 1969, so I’m going to be the dissenting vioce here, as much as I dislike a nickname as a full name (gives the kid no options), it is usable as such. I’m just a big fan of having options. [name]Way[/name] huge fan of options.

[name]Julia[/name] - [name]Julia[/name]'s the only girls Jul- name I love. It’s a bit plain, but really, in this age of the uberfrill, plain is completely refreshing! [name]Julia[/name]'s timeless. I loathe [name]Juliet[/name]. Rather echoing [name]Shakespeare[/name] himself here: If those stupid kids had listened to their parents, none of this would have happened. I think [name]Romeo[/name] & [name]Juliet[/name] are stupid gits. And I just can’t seriously see a grwon [name]Juliet[/name]. It’s too prissy feeling for me. But [name]Julia[/name]? Stunningly simple!

[name]Evie[/name] - [name]Eve[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name] are the three that pop to mind instantly. A little more digging gives me Godeleve (medieval name), [name]Guinevere[/name] (a silly, unfaithful queen?Not my sort of role model), [name]Beverly[/name], [name]Neve[/name], [name]Severine[/name] & [name]Evette[/name] all show up in searches. Maybe something there will appeal.

[name]Hazel[/name] - I think you’re dead on, feeling wise. [name]Hazel[/name] really is sweet & refreshing again. Does everyone forget about [name]Julia[/name] [name]Roberts[/name]’ [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Patricia[/name]? What an absolute cutie! Show them pictures of her if your family can’t picture a little [name]Hazel[/name]. I think it’s beautiful.

[name]Josephine[/name] - I adore [name]Josephine[/name], but I’m biased, mine will be 5 in [name]May[/name]. I think it’s regal in full, breaks down in a dozen pretty, feminine nicknames without resorting to the boyish [name]Jo[/name]/[name]Joey[/name] and will age incredibly well. I have yet to meet one in real life under 70! But I know of several small Josephines online. And just to annoy your mom a bit, you could name her [name]Josephine[/name] and call her [name]Posie[/name]!

[name]Violet[/name] - Too bad your mom hates [name]Violet[/name]. She had her chance at naming and if you love [name]Violet[/name], use it and don’t look back. [name]Just[/name] keep saying “It’s my child, I’ll name it what I want” Tough nuts to Mom. :slight_smile: (My Mom would be horrified at my [name]Josephine[/name]'s name, it was her older sisters name and as such, an old lady name to her!)

[name]Ruby[/name] - I firmly like [name]Ruby[/name], it’s on my own lists as a middle to honor me, a [name]July[/name] baby. I think [name]Ruby[/name]'s spunky, sweet and pretty. [name]Love[/name] her shade of red and Roo is too cute a possible nickname, no? :slight_smile:

[name]Adeline[/name] - I see what you mean about the popular sound. I firmly like [name]Adeline[/name], but then, I was serenaded by “Sweet [name]Adeline[/name]” back when I was single, so I’m soft on [name]Adeline[/name]. I’d nickname an [name]Adeline[/name] of mine [name]Ada[/name] (ay-da) not [name]Addie[/name]. or maybe [name]Lina[/name] (leena). But definitely not [name]Addie[/name]. That sound is already too prevalent!

[name]Vera[/name] - [name]How[/name] else is there to say [name]Vera[/name]? I’ve always said veer-ah myself. I like it, quite a bit. Maybe [name]Guinevere[/name], nickname [name]Vera[/name] would work for you?

others I like… [name]Frances[/name] nn [name]Francie[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Pearl[/name]. - I firmly like all of those too! Especially [name]Frances[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]!

I think you’re getting it, yes, we all want them to like our choices but it is your (and your DH’s) baby, not theirs and you get to name it whatever you want, they’ll just have to get over it! :smiley: Really, especailly if they’re past childbearing years, they won’t know about how fashionable these old lady/old man names are and how they fit in these days. it’s all in where you’re standing, I think. If it makes you feel any better, my kids all have old man/old lady names and while no one liked them at first, they loved them once it was attached to our kids. Go with your gut.

Take all their “advice” with a grain of salt and then do what your heart tells you to. You have a marvelous list here and really can’t go wrong with anything on it!

I think [name]Adeline[/name] is a beautiful name. A friend of mine recently named her daughter [name]Adeline[/name], and receives many compliments. I am personally not a fan of the old fashioned names, such as [name]Esther[/name], but that is only my opinion. I agree with what others have said- if you love the name, use it! [name]Don[/name]'t get too caught up in what other people will think.

I am a teacher, and there is a little girl in the classroom next to mine whose name is Evanthia. She goes by [name]Evie[/name]. [name]Just[/name] a suggestion :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the great suggestions/thoughts!!! I love hearing- your ideas and opinions… I’m still narrowing down my list, but I just thought I’d let you all know that I appreciate it! I’ll be sure to let you know my top picks when I figure them out… in the meantime I’ll be here thinking a lot… :slight_smile:

Okay… I just posted like 2 mins. ago, but I went to look up [name]Esther[/name] on nameberry, and [name]Hettie[/name] is a nn. I never thought about that, but it’s close to [name]Hattie[/name] and then I’d get both names - I don’t know, but I can’t seem to stop thinking about [name]Esther[/name]… I love all the names I posted, but [name]Esther[/name] is really feeling like a frontrunner for me… anyway, I just thought I’d let you know about my excitement… how cute would a baby girl [name]Esther[/name] be with the nn [name]Hettie[/name]? What do you think?

I think it’s wonderful that you’ve found a name you love so dearly, and about which you’re so excited! Congratulations! [name]Hettie[/name] would be a cute nickname, and I’m really excited for you. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Esther[/name].

[name]Adeline[/name] was on my list for my daughter. For me it was inspired by [name]Elliot[/name] [name]Smith[/name]'s song ‘Sweet [name]Adeline[/name].’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUnUIssMmOs

I love the name [name]Esther[/name] so much! And I love [name]Queen[/name] [name]Esther[/name] in the bible. She was so brave.

[name]Trust[/name] me, I know how you feel! I live in the land of [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Braden[/name], [name]Kendra[/name] and [name]Addison[/name]. There is nothing wrong with those names, but they aren’t for me! I think that you have some beautiful names, and like some of the other posters mentioned, once there is a beautiful baby attatched to the name, they will let a lot go.

[name]Esther[/name] - I think this is a beautiful old fashioned name, and the Biblical [name]Esther[/name] is a great namesake.

[name]Hattie[/name] - I don’t see where people get [name]Hettie[/name] from [name]Esther[/name] but I think it is uber cute.

[name]Julia[/name] - classic and beautiful!

[name]Evie[/name] - [name]Eve[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], definently need a full name, but [name]Evie[/name] is cute.

[name]Hazel[/name] - One of my absolute favorites. So great.

[name]Josephine[/name] - Beautiful and tons of too cute nicknames.

[name]Violet[/name] - Very pretty

[name]Ruby[/name] - I’m not a [name]Ruby[/name] girl, sorry :frowning:

[name]Adeline[/name] - Defiently more classic then trendy in my book. Pretty sound

[name]Vera[/name] - You have other names that I love more

I like pearl, too. Good luck, you’ll find something beautiful!