A name for our little girl from China

Thank you so much to everyone who responded to our thread yesterday with such amazingly supportive responses! It was great!
We’ve taken all suggestions into consideration and we’ve come up with a little list. I’d love your opinions!

We accepted a referral for a healthy little girl from [name]China[/name]. She is 8 months old and be will be bringing her home in [name]May[/name], when she will be 11 months!

We’re keeping part of her Chinese name, Xiu Ying (pronounced: shee-yoo ying), in the middle name spot. Xiu Ying translated means “beautiful flower”, so we’ve set up a list of flower names for our little girl.
Our last name is [name]Paxton[/name].

Our lovely varitions of [name]Rose[/name]:
[name]Rose[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]

(Roses are my favorite flower. My husband brings them to me on every anniversary and the pink rose was the flower at our wedding. Our little girl was born in [name]June[/name], and as you ladies have pointed out to us, the rose is the flower for the month of [name]June[/name]! I love all the connections!)

Beautiful [name]Lily[/name] names:
[name]Lily[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Lillianne[/name] or [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anne[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]

(My husband is dying for a little [name]Lily[/name]. From the pictures, our little girl has such a pale, gentle face and he think she would make a great [name]Lily[/name]. But [name]Lily[/name] is so popular and with the adopted [name]Lily[/name] from Modern Family, it feels like naming a little adopted Chinese girl [name]Lily[/name] is overdone. But lilies are my mother’s favorite flower. They also the flower for the month of [name]May[/name], when we will be bringing her home. My husband loves [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anne[/name]!)

Other nature names we like:
[name]Daisy[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Willow[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]

(I really love all of these names and think they’re all delicate enough to suit our little girl! The only one that isn’t really a flower is [name]Willow[/name], and this puts my husband off a bit. But I love the soft sound of it .)

Please leave your amazingly insightful and encouraging suggestions and opinions again!

Congratulations!!
From your list I really like [name]Rosalie[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name] Xiu Yang [name]Paxton[/name]

I will also suggest;

[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]

What about [name]Elizabeth[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name]?

Other names;

[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Calla[/name] (type of [name]Lily[/name])
[name]Dahlia[/name]

I am stuck on [name]Rose[/name].

best wishes,

rollo

We were thinking about [name]Lilah[/name], but my husband thinks it sounds like too much of a nickname. [name]Lillian[/name] sounds too stiff to me for some reason.
I would love [name]Calla[/name], but my little sister is [name]Calina[/name]! She goes by [name]Callie[/name]. My mom named her this because she loves lillies.
Thank you!

[name]Lilah[/name] can also be spelt as [name]Leila[/name] and it is a lovely name. [name]Lilah[/name] [name]Rose[/name] [name]Paxton[/name] - it’s lovely.

I just love [name]Rosalie[/name]! It sort of combines [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Lily[/name]. Your husband could always call her [name]Lily[/name] (a special nn, just from Daddy!).
Congratulations to both of you!

[name]How[/name] exciting! Congratulations!
What about [name]Lily[/name] [name]Rose[/name]? I love the special meaning for both flowers, honestly both flowers have special meaning to me too. [name]Ive[/name] always loved the double barreled name [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Rose[/name]. So sweet. That way you can have both your favorites!
Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestion of [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Rose[/name], we’ll keep that in mind :).

1 [name]Rosemary[/name] Xiu Ling [name]Paxton[/name]
2 [name]Violet[/name] Xiu Ling [name]Paxton[/name]
3 [name]Lily[/name] Xiu Ling [name]Paxton[/name]

Honorable Mention: [name]Daisy[/name] Xiu Ling [name]Paxton[/name]

Awww, an official list!

My favorites are [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Violet[/name], but I like the significance of the [name]Rose[/name] names, as well. While the variations ([name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anne[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], etc.) are nice, I think saying them next to Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name] is a bit complicated. [name]Lily[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name] sounds better to my ear than [name]Lilia[/name] or [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anne[/name] or [name]Rosalie[/name] Xiu Ying [name]Paxton[/name]. I do like [name]Willow[/name], too, and it is so soft, but I agree with your husband that since it’s not a true flower name I would let it go… which surprises me a little, since I suggested it in the first place, ha!

I think [name]Lily[/name] [name]Paxton[/name] or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Paxton[/name] would be just stunning, and they both sound perfect for your little girl. If you want something a little less stereotypical, I would probably go with [name]Violet[/name] (which has adorable nns like [name]Vivi[/name], [name]Lola[/name], or [name]Lettie[/name]), but I love the significance of lilies for you so I think [name]Lily[/name] is an equally stunning option. I think that since she’ll be adopted, maybe having a more common name will help her feel like she fits in more?

Good luck!

Yes, our first list! We were so excited when putting this together :).
We were thinking that maybe a more common name like [name]Lily[/name] would help and not hinder her through life, but I feel like [name]Lily[/name] is the new [name]Isabella[/name].
Thank you :)!

First of all: Congratulations!

I think it’s a great decision to keep her chinese name as her middle name.

It’s so hard to decide for one of the names, you have so many beautiful names on your list.

I’m not too crazy about the “rose” names but that is just my personal feeling, they all make fine names.

I love the idea of [name]Lily[/name] on a little chinese girl but that might come from Sex and the City where [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Harry[/name] adopt a little girl from [name]China[/name] and call her [name]Lily[/name], so maybe you’re right and it is overdone.

[name]Lilia[/name] is pretty too.

[name]Violet[/name] is just beautiful, but my favourite from your list is [name]Willow[/name]. I love the sound, it’s kind of spunky but also pretty.

The only name I really don’t like is [name]Daisy[/name]. Can’t get [name]Daisy[/name] Duck out of my head there.

But I’m sure she’ll end up with a great name!

[name]Lilian[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name] would be a great compromise on [name]Lily[/name]! I know two Chinese girls named [name]Julia[/name], Im not sure if thats some sort of Chinese/American culture thing of just a coincidence but it’s a lovely name too. I would also like to suggest [name]Miriam[/name], I know the definition of this name is not 100% for sure but some people say it means “bitterly wished for” and I imagine you have been wishing for this for a long time, I also just really love the name! It so sweet sounding but I think it would age well.

I never thought of [name]Rosalie[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name], but it completely works! That one of my favorite names of all of them, too.

Thanks you everyone :)!
My husband is sill in love with [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anne[/name] and he really likes the suggestion of [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Rose[/name]. I’m not sure about the hyphen names, because it might just be too many names for our little girl to get used to.
I wish I could like [name]Lillian[/name], but I just can’t for some reason :(.
I really like [name]Rosalie[/name] and how it seems to have everything we’re looking for, but my husband likes [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Anne[/name] so much more.

If you guys have any more opinions, please leave them here! They’re much appreciated!

Has anybody already said:
[name]Liliana[/name]?
I think it’s gorgeous!

P.S. You can always name her little sister [name]Willow[/name]!

[name]Love[/name], [name]Lily[/name]-[name]Rose[/name]!!! So excited for you!!! =0)

Congratuations!!! Very exciting news!!!

For our little girl I would go with [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Rosalie[/name] if u want something more whimsical. Has meaning to you, and to ur dd. Fits with her given name and is just beautifully old fashioned and classy. Have fun getting everything all ready for ur new little one!!!