[name_m]Adler[/name_m]
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]
What do you think of them? Associations, opinions, imagery? Which one do you like the best and why?
Thank you for your time and help!

[name_m]Adler[/name_m] - even though I know it means “eagle”, the sound reminds me of a snake (rattlesnake).

[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] - I prefer Emeric but this one is a great old Germanic name too.

[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - I love this name but you would have to be very bold and brave to use it.

[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] - folksy and friendly

[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] - I grew up looking at these in geography class

[name_u]August[/name_u] - I like this name but I have a soft spot for the even longer versions. I’m looking at you [name_m]Augustine[/name_m] and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m].

[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - ah, here he is! :slight_smile: A strong and majestic choice.

[name_m]Axel[/name_m] - I’ve never warmed to this Scandinavian name. It just sounds so harsh. It reminds me of the skating jump, the car part and an unappealing heavy rock dude.

My favorites are; [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], and [name_m]Axel[/name_m]. I personally would only use them as middle names, except maybe [name_m]Alaric[/name_m]. [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u] are meaningful to use. I love the meaning of [name_m]Axel[/name_m].

We have an [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] and get positive feedback all the time. I also am drawn to A names, but I’m not into sibsets with all the same siblings. But I love [name_u]August[/name_u] and [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] as well. We are also considering [name_m]Atticus[/name_m].

Adler - It just doesn’t sound right when I say it outloud. Not a fan.
Alaric - Sounds too much like a girls name, too frilly for my liking.
Apollo - Great name.
Arlo - I love it.
Atlas - Becoming much too popular and trendy lately, but it’s OK.
August- Same as [name_m]Atlas[/name_m].
Augustine - Sounds too feminine with the ‘een’ at the end for my liking.
Axel - It’s ok.

Thank you so much! And is [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] really trendy? I have yet to meet one.

[name_m]Adler[/name_m] - sounds like a surname
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] - i like it, strong but not harsh sounding
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - somehow sounds like you are trying too hard
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] - i want to like it but it just doesnt roll very well of my tongue
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]- sounds good
[name_u]August[/name_u] - classical name to me, not uncommon where i’m from
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - just a bit to much, [name_u]August[/name_u] is much better
[name_m]Axel[/name_m] - cool name

[name_m]Adler[/name_m] – I always thought this one sounds a lot like a title (similar to [name_m]Duke[/name_m] or [name_m]Prince[/name_m]). I’m not a fan, sorry.
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] – I think it looks great written, but I don’t like the sound of it.
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] – I like [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] a lot, but agree with @mischa that you’d have to be very bold to use it.
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] – [name_u]Love[/name_u]! I think [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] is super handsome.
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] – [name_u]Love[/name_u]!
[name_u]August[/name_u] – I like it, but prefer [name_m]Augustus[/name_m].
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] – This is a girls’ name where I live, and I can’t imagine it on a boy at all. It’s very feminine-sounding, too.
[name_m]Axel[/name_m] – I like it, though I prefer the [name_m]Aksel[/name_m] spelling.

I’m going to go through your list and do a kind of “first thoughts” exercise, as I feel that’s the most effective way to identify connotations and associations.

[name_m]Adler[/name_m] - psychology ([name_m]Alfred[/name_m] [name_m]Adler[/name_m]), forrest, deer, antler, green
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] - wizard, potion, spellbound, metal, distinguished
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - space, universe, stars, mystical, scientific
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] - brown, dog-lover, settled, newspapers
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] - world, physically fit, content
[name_u]August[/name_u] - warm, breezy, yellow, literary, English major
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - religious, appreciative, philosophical, important
[name_m]Axel[/name_m] - tire, The Middle, unmotivated, couch potato

I think [name_m]Adler[/name_m] is my favorite, followed by [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u]. I love the name [name_m]Atlas[/name_m] for a dog, and I can picture it on a child, but I just can’t get behind it. I’m not sure why, because I want to love it.

I’m also a fan of A names…
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] - Its ok, I like that it means eagle
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] - Cool name, don’t know too much about it though
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] is a great name and I always think of the Greek god
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] - I like this one, think I might add it to my boys list
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] - I love [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], its on my own list
[name_u]August[/name_u] - Also love [name_u]August[/name_u], on my own list
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - too grand and prince like for me, I prefer [name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m] - Also love this one

My favorites are [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], [name_u]August[/name_u], and [name_m]Axel[/name_m].

I really like [name_u]Arlo[/name_u], [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], and [name_u]August[/name_u]. They’re all names that have been on my long list at one point. The only one I don’t really like is [name_m]Axel[/name_m].

Thank you all so much! It was really helpful!

The images associated might be less about the person bearing the name and more about his parents, but here we go:
[name_m]Adler[/name_m]- I think of psychology… also “addled”-- sorry, I think “sounds like…” is an immature response to a name but these two things kind of work together with this image
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m]- noble, with an appreciation for fantasy
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m]- bold, flashy… we’re talking about the god of the sun here
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u]- hippy-ish-- BUT, and maybe it’s neither here nor there, but [name_u]Arlo[/name_u] [name_u]Guthrie[/name_u]'s crime in the story of [name_f]Alice[/name_f]'s Restaurant was littering on behalf of [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. And dropping some slurs. I otherwise like the sound of the name.
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]- traveler
[name_u]August[/name_u]- I love this name, I think literary ([name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m])
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m]- religious, studious
[name_m]Axel[/name_m]- Scandinavian OR rocker ([name_m]Axl[/name_m])

imagery/associations and put in order of preference:

[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] - old, [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
[name_m]Adler[/name_m] - surname, alder tree, adding, one who addles brains (I prefer Alder personally)
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] - St. [name_m]Augustine[/name_m], [name_m]Christian[/name_m] doctrine, Confessions, my friend [name_m]Augustine[/name_m]
[name_u]Arlo[/name_u] - slightly exotic name, European, [name_m]Milo[/name_m], [name_m]Bruno[/name_m], [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_u]Nico[/name_u]
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m] - maps, Shrugged, earth/geography
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] - [name_m]Roman[/name_m] gods, speed skating, ancient world/religions
[name_u]August[/name_u] - month, feminine, [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Rush[/name_m], girl from 3rd [name_m]Rock[/name_m] from the [name_f]Sun[/name_f], [name_m]Augie[/name_m]
[name_m]Axel[/name_m] - heavy metal, car wheels, ax/chopping wood, made up biker name