A Naming/Sib Set Dilemma

My husband and I have just begun naming discussions, as we are TTC. However, we have some questions regarding sib sets. To back up, we are Jewish. DH is a born Jew and I converted after a year of dating. I have been a name nerd my whole life, but as a lapsed Protestant never really considered giving my children Jewish/Hebrew names. Until now.

We both really like the name [name]Judah[/name] “[name]Jude[/name]” but worry that naming a child that will limit our options for other kids to [name]Oren[/name], [name]Zev[/name], [name]Ephraim[/name], and [name]Ruth[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I like all of those names, but [name]Judah[/name] is the only one we truly love.

Other names we love are:

[name]Frederick[/name] “[name]Fred[/name]”
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Rufus[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name]

[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]

So our question is: Does [name]Judah[/name] blend well with some of these choices? If so, which ones? Or should we use names like [name]Judah[/name] for the Hebrew names only? As per Jewish tradition, each child will have an English name and a Hebrew name, the Hebrew name starting with the first letter of the English name, since that is the tradition in my husband’s family.

What do you think?

I think the name [name]Jude[/name] “fits” a little better than [name]Judah[/name] with the names in your list. If you’ll be calling him [name]Jude[/name] anyway I don’t think it’s a big issue. Most sibsets are not perfectly ideal and are usually a mixture of styles. Here are my thoughts on sibsets that I think would work the best.

[name]Judah[/name] is fine with [name]Leo[/name], [name]Rufus[/name], [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Jude[/name] is fine with [name]Leo[/name], [name]Miles[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Sadie[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Violet[/name]

The one boys name that would work with both of them is: [name]Leo[/name]
The one girls name that would work with both of them is: [name]Sadie[/name]

I think [name]Judah[/name]'s a great name that goes well with a lot of the names you like.

Please be aware that [name]Jude[/name] is a fairly [name]Christian[/name]-associated name: he was a saint, and there is a book of the NT/[name]Christian[/name] Bible called “the Book of [name]Jude[/name]”

Other names you like that have some degree of [name]Christian[/name] association or [name]Rufus[/name], [name]Olive[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] (via [name]Elizabeth[/name]). Google if you want to know more. I don’t think any of these things means you can’t or shouldn’t use the name, but just be aware in deciding.

A lot of classically Jewish-Biblical names would be very fitting: [name]Naomi[/name], [name]Esther[/name], [name]Dinah[/name] and [name]Adah[/name] are 4 of my favorites for girls, and there are loads more, some rarer ones for girls like [name]Atarah[/name], [name]Keturah[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], and also loads even especially for boys that are both grounded in Jewish traditions and fit right in. There are some really excellent non-Biblical Hebrew names for girls too, [name]Aviva[/name] and [name]Doveva[/name] are two of my favorites. [name]Sadie[/name] is historically a nickname for [name]Sarah[/name], a Biblical name.

Good luck and best wishes!