A Nod to my Grandmother

[name_f]My[/name_f] wife and I are expecting our first child in [name_f]April[/name_f], and would like to honor my grandmother who passed away a couple of years ago. Her name was Floree, so initially we thought ‘[name_f]Florence[/name_f]’ - sorted. Then a couple of our friends both had Florences, so it lost its appeal somewhat. We then looked into alternatives which would be a subtle nod to my grandmother, and stumbled across Floella.
It starts ‘FLO’, has a feminine sound, is super unique, and brings back memories of my own childhood in the UK in the 1980’s (the children’s TV presenter Floella [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]).
We’ve had some mixed responses from the few people we’ve tested the water with, but are both in love with the name.
What do you all think?

1 Like

I like it!
Its a creative choice, far more interesting than [name_f]Florence[/name_f] , and it does stand on its own as a name. If both of you love it, keep for sure.
I’ve also heard [name_f]Florella[/name_f] and [name_f]Fiorella[/name_f], which are nice and exotic. [name_m]Just[/name_m] for your consideration, because Floella is neat.

Floral is pretty too.

I like Floella. Plus she would have 2 nickname options if she wanted- the less common [name_f]Flo[/name_f] & the more common [name_f]Ella[/name_f]

I really don’t like it. [name_f]Flo[/name_f]-ella? Sounds like Cruela (Deville) or some kind of other Disney villain.

Suggest:

• Floria
  • Frances
  • Fiona
  • Floren
  • Florentine

Or just going back to the original idea of honoring her. The people around you might move away or have a faillng out… Lots of things could happen. But honoring your grandmother is personal, and forever.

3 Likes

I really like it! Super unique!

I find it really intriguing. I initially thought I was going to dislike it, but was pleasantly surprised to find I think it’s cute! I like the two potential nicknames, [name_f]Flo[/name_f] and [name_f]Ella[/name_f].

I don’t like a lot a lot of “[name_f]Flo[/name_f]” names so this is hard. Floella is definitely original if that’s what you are looking for.

I like [name_f]Florencia[/name_f] even though its a little much maybe. You could use [name_u]Wren[/name_u] as a nickname which I love. Its double nature-y.

I like [name_m]Florin[/name_m] - its simple and straight forward.

I also like [name_f]Fleur[/name_f] - it doesn’t have “[name_f]Flo[/name_f]” per say but I still think it could work. I like it as a middle name! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite combo with it being [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] [name_f]Fleur[/name_f].

Florence has actually grown on me somewhat but I agree - its very popular right now.

I love the idea of you honoring your grandmother so whatever [name_f]Flo[/name_f] name you decide on will be perfect:)

Floella remimds me of periods for some reason, sorry.

Flora, Floralie, [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], Fliss and [name_u]Florentine[/name_u] came to mind

4 Likes

I’m not sure if I like Floella, sorry.

What about:
[name_f]Florinda[/name_f]
Florbella
[name_f]Florella[/name_f]
[name_f]Florenza[/name_f]
[name_f]Flor[/name_f]
[name_f]Flower[/name_f]
Forsynthia

1 Like

I like Floella and it’s a great namesake name for Floree

It’s not my cup of tea.
I do really love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] though which I think could honour your grandmother.

1 Like

I like the sound. However, in my opinion it is a little cutesy, i struggle to imagine a middle-aged woman named Floella. How about [name_u]Floris[/name_u] or [name_f]Fleur[/name_f]?

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I’m not a fan of Floella.

I think that [name_f]Flora[/name_f] would be a nice choice, or [name_f]Fiorenza[/name_f] or [name_f]Florina[/name_f].

1 Like

I don’t like Floella.
I adore [name_f]Flora[/name_f] though and think that would be perfectly usable even with friends with Florences. I would use your grandmother’s name Floree as a first name rather than Floella. Floella is just not a style that appeals to me - I also don’t like [name_f]Luella[/name_f] (but love [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]), with is a name that comes up occasionally, and some people do seem to like it.
Or use Floree as a middle name.

3 Likes

I am not fussed on Floella as it seems made up (my opinion only). I do like [name_f]Flora[/name_f] and [name_f]Florina[/name_f]. However, your baby, your name.

1 Like

It doesn’t sound quite right. I do love [name_f]Flora[/name_f] or maybe [name_f]Florella[/name_f]. There’s also the Floree middle name option :blush:
Good luck!

1 Like

I’m not too sure how I feel about Floella, I even find it a little bit difficult to pronounce.

Florencia
[name_f]Flor[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiorenza[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiorella[/name_f]

1 Like

I would recommend [name_f]Flora[/name_f] or just stick [name_f]Florence[/name_f] in as a middle name. I really do not like Floella, unfortunately.

1 Like