A Problem

See the results of this poll: Will this work out?

Respondents: 6 (This poll is closed)

• Yes, especially since it’s a different genre. : 3 (50%)
  • NO! How can you think that, those names are Suzanne Collins’s only!: 3 (50%)

I voted no- but not because the names belong to [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u]. I voted no because it seems extremely unlikely that anyone would be named [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] or Peeta before the Hunger Games were published. If you’re determined to use them, go ahead. They just don’t make sense to me. What are their backgrounds (and I mean ethnic backgrounds- ie Mom is half Greek, quarter [name_m]German[/name_m], 2/8 Italian and 2/8 Japanese, Dad is all Russian) and what are their parents naming styles?

Actually, I’m not sure about those questions…I’m thinking the parents were friends who all read a (fictional) book called “1,000,000 Super Weird [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names”, found the names in there, and decided to use them? Then, however many years later, The Hunger Games (obviously) got incredibly popular.

If that still doesn’t sound good, what are some other ‘famous book couples’ with equally weird names?

A few “famous book couples” with odd names:
[name_m]Rochester[/name_m] and [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Rochester[/name_m])
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u] and [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (Sense and Sensibility)
[name_f]Buttercup[/name_f] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] (The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Bride[/name_f])
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] (myth based)
[name_m]Florentino[/name_m] and Fermina ([name_f]Love[/name_f] in the Time of Cholera)
[name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] and [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] (The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m])
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] (Twilight)
[name_m]Francisco[/name_m] and [name_f]Aura[/name_f] ([name_m]Say[/name_m] Her Name)

It also helps to know when they were born- I’m guessing early to mid nineties? [name_f]Hope[/name_f] that helps give you a few ideas. [name_m]Just[/name_m] do what you feel is right for your story.

I’m leaning toward either [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_f]Isolde[/name_f] or keeping the first plan…Thanks!

(Also, I like [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] and [name_f]Araminta[/name_f], too! :))

Peeta is a bit more plausible to have a pre-HG baby named it because it’s really just a trendy spelling of [name_m]Peter[/name_m], and if he’s one of a number of siblings with creative spellings (Sighman, [name_m]Jeramee[/name_m], that sort of thing) I can see it working. That said, I’m assuming they’re late 90s babies and not sure how popular creative spellings were back then, not as much as today anyway.

And for [name_f]Katniss[/name_f], well to me she could honour a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] ([name_f]Kat[/name_f]) and a [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f] (Ness/Niss) if you wanted a reason other than ‘just out of a baby book’ for her to have the name.

I think the idea could be rather amusing if done well.

Thank you!!! XD

Why don’t you invent your own weird couple names and your own hugely popular book? That would look less like you’re trying to copy-cat names and more like an original idea.

You could even still do the ‘weird plant name’ thing. [name_u]Yarrow[/name_u] & Arum, Bramble & Caraway, Charlock & Coriander etc

I voted no just because of the same reasons as a pp. [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] has a terrible sound and it’s very unlikely that anyone was named [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] before the HG. Sagiteria is the real name of the plant, maybe go with that. Peeta is a bad spelling of [name_f]Pita[/name_f] (bread) because he’s a baker. Maybe pick a different bread name? Bannock, Bastone, Challah etc. Or just strange words in general like [name_f]Sunshine[/name_f] & [name_f]Poet[/name_f]?

Anyway, I don’t mean to sound rude, I just think taking someone elses names and someone elses book and then writing your own story based entirely around the names that other person used and the book they wrote is a bit lazy. It would be so much more impressive for you to make your own names and your own in world book.

Thanks for all the input! The story is completely revamped, and the characters are now [name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] and [name_m]Edwyn[/name_m].