A second name for Stella!

We need your opinion. I’m pregnant with our second child and daughter, due later this month. Her first name will be [name]Stella[/name] but we can’t agree on her second name. First we thought of [name]Luna[/name]. Our first daughter was named [name]Luna[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] but she died at the age of two a year ago. We thought it would be nice to honour her by giving her name to our second daughter, however the combination of [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Luna[/name] seems a bit too much star-moon. Then we thought of [name]Louise[/name] but it rhymes with [name]Stella[/name]'s last name so we didn’t like the flow of it. And now? Now we’re stuck. Maybe you have some suggestions for our [name]Stella[/name].
Thanks!
[name]Sara[/name],
mommy of [name]Luna[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]* and [name]Stella[/name] ??

First off, I’m very sorry for your loss.

I would use [name]Josephine[/name]!
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] sounds amazing!!

I’m so sorry for your loss!

I wouldn’t use [name]Stella[/name] [name]Luna[/name], both because it sounds a bit odd, and because [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Pompeo[/name] ([name]Grey[/name]'s Anatomy) just named her daughter that exact name. However, I think [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is just an absolutely beautiful name, and I was going to suggest it even before I saw that your daughter was named [name]Luna[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. This sounds really silly typed out, but my [name]African[/name] [name]Violet[/name] is actually named [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]! I love it (the name, that is…)!

Best wishes to you and congratulations on [name]Baby[/name] [name]Stella[/name]!

[name]EDIT[/name]

You could use a name meaning “moon” that isn’t as obvious as [name]Luna[/name]. I would suggest [name]Stella[/name] Channary, as Channary is a Cambodian name meaning “full moon.” It also means “moon-faced girl” in Khmer, or Cambodian. It is pronounced just like it looks - ‘chah-nah-ree’. I think it would sound nice with a last name that has a similar sound to [name]Louise[/name], and it is a a beautiful way to honor little [name]Luna[/name]…

First, I am very sorry for your loss!

I am going to third [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]. It is absolutely gorgeous!

While I think it’s lovely to want to honor [name]Luna[/name], if it were me I might try to honor her as well as give [name]Stella[/name] her own name. Since [name]Louise[/name] doesn’t work, how about [name]Lucille[/name]? Sort of reminiscent of [name]Luna[/name]. [name]Stella[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] flows nicely even though it is a lot of Ls. Actually, the name [name]Stella[/name] itself kind of honors [name]Luna[/name] in keeping with the celestial theme. I just wouldn’t want [name]Stella[/name] to feel less important by not having her own name, if you know what I mean.

Good luck with baby [name]Stella[/name]!

I thought of [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] too – before reading any other posts. It would still honor your first daughter while giving your second daughter a name that is lovely – with no drawbacks as far as the name goes.

However, as gwensmom noted, there is something to be said about giving your second daughter her very own name. [name]Stella[/name] could either: (1) love the fact that she carries part of her sister’s name, or (2) She might – in realizing her middle name was given to her as a result of losing her sister – always wonder what her middle name would have been (“should have been”) if not for that, or (3) She may have mixed feelings about it, but be content with her name. This third possibility seems likely.

Again, [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], sounds great, and definitely better than [name]Stella[/name] [name]Luna[/name]. The 2 syllable/3 syllable combo flows best.

I think you should use [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]- that is a pretty combo and would give your daughter a connection with her deceased big sis. I am sorry for your loss- I lost a baby girl too. I went on to have another daughter 4 years later and I do sometimes regret that we didn’t use one of her big sister’s three names to give her another connection to her sister. Our youngest daughter loves to visit her sister’s grave and will sit down beside her stone and talk to her just like she would if she were here with her. It is so bittersweet :frowning: She loves to look at her pictures too. She will be 5 in February. My oldest son and his wife are expecting twins this next spring and if either are a girl they are considering giving her part of his little sister’s name. If they do, I hope and pray my grandaughter will be proud of the connection to her deceased aunt.

I’m so, so sorry about your loss. :frowning:

I absolutely love [name]Stella[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], and [name]Stella[/name] reminds me of [name]Luna[/name] because of the stars and the moon connection. I think it’s a beautiful name.

If you’re not set on [name]Stella[/name], you may also like [name]Luciana[/name] (contains [name]Luna[/name]) or [name]Diana[/name] (I believe she was the [name]Goddess[/name] of the [name]Moon[/name]).

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I’m happy to announce that our daughter [name]STELLA[/name] [name]Luz[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] was born on [name]December[/name], 26th at 1:33 am. She’s doing great and we’re absolutely thrilled to have her in our life. We’d like to thank you for your help in finding a second name for [name]Stella[/name].
Have a wonderful 2010!
Greetings,
[name]Sara[/name]
mommy of [name]Luna[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]* and [name]Stella[/name] [name]Luz[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]

Congratulations! That’s amazing. I’m sure she’s beautiful and has a beautiful name to match.

Congratulations and welcome to baby [name]Stella[/name]! [name]Stella[/name] [name]Luz[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is such a beautiful name with a great flow and combination of sounds. I’m sure she will be just as pretty herself!

Beautiful name. Congratulations!