A short,simple name for a long,intricate surname.

[name]Hi[/name] everybody,

I’ve been lurking on this message board for a while. Everyone is so helpful and honest that I knew I would seek your help when we had a name list to discuss.

Our basic naming “issue” is that we find it hard to mix names that we like with the baby’s last name: Birkienhajmer (j pronounced as i). We’re afraid of comming up with a fusty-sounding, pretentious name that on top of everything is very long.

Here are our boy and girl lists, please rate the names and tell us what you think, and also let us know if you think they are ok with the last name or we should look into other name “styles”.

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name]
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh)
[name]Zora[/name]
[name]Roxy[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh)
[name]Marlo[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]

boys:
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Lyle[/name]
[name]Wolf[/name] (family name that we love and everyone hates)
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Niels[/name]
[name]Emil[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]!

What is the origin of your surname? It is so neat!

[name]Myrah[/name] - Prefer as [name]Myra[/name], but not a favorite.
[name]Thea[/name] - I’d say THEE-ah, so maybe spell it [name]Tea[/name]?
[name]Zora[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this! Reminds me of author [name]Zora[/name] [name]Neale[/name] Hurston!
[name]Roxy[/name] - Feels too insignificant to me, or pet-like.
[name]Willa[/name] - I really like this a lot!
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh) - I’d say KIE-rah, so I’d spell it [name]Kira[/name] or [name]Keira[/name].
[name]Marlo[/name] - I don’t care for this, myself. Looks masculine.
[name]Fern[/name] - Cute and simple! Reminds me of [name]Charlotte[/name]'s [name]Web[/name]!
[name]Dinah[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland’s cat. Sounds tired to me…

I’d choose [name]Zora[/name], [name]Willa[/name], or [name]Kira[/name], myself, but [name]Zora[/name] and [name]Willa[/name] are definitely my favorites with your last name! What about using [name]Zora[/name] [name]Fern[/name] or [name]Willa[/name] [name]Fern[/name] - they work wonderfully with your longer last name!

[name]Asher[/name] - Well, I love it, but your surname ends in the -er sound.
[name]Lyle[/name] - This is a cool middle name, but sounds nerdy as a first.
[name]Wolf[/name] - I’d keep this in the middle, but it is cool!
[name]Tobias[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Tobias[/name] and [name]Toby[/name], but it is a bit longer…
[name]Niels[/name] - Cool name! Great with your surname!
[name]Emil[/name] - I’m not as much a fan of this one…
[name]Seth[/name] - This sounds, dangerous, to me.
[name]Dominic[/name] - Sounds great with surname, but a bit long.
[name]Cole[/name] - Short and sweet, but masculine. It’s alright.

I like [name]Niels[/name] the most, I think! [name]Niels[/name] [name]Asher[/name]? Or maybe [name]Asher[/name] [name]Wolf[/name]?

Good luck!

PS I love [name]Niels[/name] and [name]Zora[/name] for a future sibling set…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name]- Okay, seems kind of trendy imo
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh)- I love this one
[name]Zora[/name]- Seems to out there especially combined with your last name
[name]Roxy[/name]- okay still might be a bit much with ln
[name]Willa[/name]- [name]Love[/name] this one too
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh)- I like this name, but it’s kind of trendy right now
[name]Marlo[/name]- Feels like a boys name
[name]Fern[/name]- would feel musty with your ln
[name]Dinah[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Dinah[/name]

boys:
[name]Asher[/name]- don’t like the ‘er’ ending with you last name
[name]Lyle[/name]- okay
[name]Wolf[/name]- I hate to say no if you really love it, but it wouldn’t be my first choice from your list
[name]Tobias[/name]- a bit much with your last name
[name]Niels[/name]- how do you pronounce this?
[name]Emil[/name]- okay
[name]Seth[/name]- again okay
[name]Dominic[/name]- too much with your last name
[name]Cole[/name]- My favorite from your boys list

From your list my favorites are
girls: [name]Thea[/name], [name]Willa[/name], and [name]Dinah[/name]
boys: [name]Lyle[/name], [name]Cole[/name], and [name]Seth[/name]

Dear [name]Lemon[/name],
My husband’s family comes from Galicia, a region in Europe between Poland and Ukraine. We believe the last name is [name]German[/name] but we’re not entirely sure.

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name] - For me this one’s just so-so but don’t think a long (more than 2 syllables) FN will sound pretentious at all! What do you think of [name]Soraya[/name] (so [name]RAY[/name] yah); (so RIE yah) nn [name]Raya[/name]?

[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh) - Cute with your last name.

[name]Zora[/name] - Sounds a little too [name]Zena[/name] (warrior princess)/ [name]Zelda[/name] (video game) for my taste. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Zarah[/name], [name]Zenna[/name], [name]Zinnia[/name], or [name]Nora[/name]?

[name]Roxy[/name] - I love this as a nickname for [name]Roxanne[/name] which is only two syllables and would sounds great with your last name.

[name]Willa[/name] - I really like this one, it’s pretty and sweet, with an understated sophisitcation to it!

[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh) - Very pretty. If it were me I might worry about pronunciation issues or people mistaking it for trendy spelling (though it isn’t) but if that doesn’t bother you then go for it!

[name]Marlo[/name] - This one just doesn’t feel as solid as your other choices (in meaning, and history). [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Marta[/name] or [name]Marla[/name]?

[name]Fern[/name] - Not my personal taste and again, it doesn’t feel as strong as your other choices but it’s still cute.

[name]Dinah[/name] - Nice! You definitely don’t hear this one very often and I prefer it over [name]Diana[/name] and [name]Delilah[/name].

boys:
[name]Asher[/name] - Doesn’t really seem to be in the same realm as your girl name (it’s pretty trendy).

[name]Lyle[/name] - This is lovely! It feels much fresher than [name]Kyle[/name] but still has vintage flair and would sound wonderful with [name]Roxy[/name] or [name]Dinah[/name]!

[name]Wolf[/name] - This isn’t too bad. The nerd in me would like to suggest Worf though. I don’t usually suggest names that have no name history but this is one of those exceptions. (I also like [name]Fox[/name]).

[name]Tobias[/name] - I love [name]Tobias[/name]! It’s actually on my list as well.

[name]Niels[/name] - This one is nice. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Niles[/name]?

[name]Emil[/name] - Nice but may get lost in all of the [name]Emily[/name]'s, [name]Emma[/name]'s, and [name]Amelia[/name]'s out there.

[name]Seth[/name] - Cute

[name]Dominic[/name] - Sorry but this isn’t one of my favourite names =/

[name]Cole[/name] - Cute

So my favourites are (in descending order):
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Roxy[/name] ([name]Roxanne[/name])
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Kyra[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]

[name]Lyle[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Emil[/name]
[name]Cole[/name]

Good luck to you!

[name]Hi[/name] and welcome! I love your last name :slight_smile:

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name]: [name]Myrah[/name] is very pretty, but I don’t love it with your last name (it gets a bit ‘r’ heavy)
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh): I would also pronounce it THEE-ah, but I love either pronunciation; It works well with your last name.
[name]Zora[/name]: I really like [name]Zora[/name]! Somehow this works better with your ln than [name]Myrah[/name].
[name]Roxy[/name]: Not my favorite (feels like a nickname).
[name]Willa[/name]: [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Willa[/name]!
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh): Not my favorite.
[name]Marlo[/name]: For some reason this name always makes me think of [name]Marlon[/name] [name]Brando[/name]…I know, I’m weird!
[name]Fern[/name]: Doesn’t seem to work with your ln (the -ern and -irk sounds are too similar)
[name]Dinah[/name]: [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Dinah[/name]!

boys:
[name]Asher[/name]: This could work if he goes by [name]Ash[/name].
[name]Lyle[/name]: I like [name]Lyle[/name]; definitely works with your ln.
[name]Wolf[/name] (family name that we love and everyone hates): Super cool! [name]Don[/name]'t let people deter you from using a name you love :slight_smile:
[name]Tobias[/name]: Very handsome. [name]Tobias[/name] Birkienhajmer is fantastic.
[name]Niels[/name]: Not my favorite.
[name]Emil[/name]: [name]Love[/name] [name]Emil[/name]! I do see [name]Ginger[/name]'s point though…
[name]Seth[/name]: Have never been a [name]Seth[/name] fan for some reason.
[name]Dominic[/name]: Very nice!
[name]Cole[/name]: I like [name]Cole[/name], but I prefer some of your others.

My top picks are [name]Willa[/name] or [name]Dinah[/name] for a girl, [name]Wolf[/name] or [name]Tobias[/name] for a boy.

Best of luck!

I think:
[name]Thea[/name] Birkienhajmer - very pretty - kinda mysterious, but in a good way - sounding
[name]Marlo[/name] Birkienhajmer - for me it sounds really professional but also cute enough for a child, [name]Marlo[/name] is one of the unisex names I really think sound good on women
[name]Fern[/name] Birkienhajmer - very whimsical and overall nice name
[name]Dinah[/name] Birkienhajmer - this one sounds just right to me, it’s strong, yet feminine and gorgeous sounding name
[name]Tobias[/name] Birkienhajmer - my top choice for a boy, absolutely
[name]Niels[/name] Birkienhajmer - also very nice
I’d probably go: [name]Dinah[/name] and [name]Tobias[/name]

baby’s last name: Birkienhajmer (j pronounced as i).

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name] I would prefer [name]Mia[/name], [name]Mia[/name] Birkienhejmer

[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh) No

[name]Zora[/name] I find this name just a little strong, I would go with [name]Zara[/name]

[name]Roxy[/name] A nice nn for [name]Roxanne[/name].

I would prefer [name]Romy[/name] Birkienhejmer

[name]Willa[/name] if I was to choose this it would be a nn for [name]Wilhelmina[/name] Birkienhejmer which goes very well with your surname

[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh) The spelling I like is [name]Keira[/name] and it looks okay with your surname too but wouldn’t have it as a first option

[name]Marlo[/name]. I really like the name [name]Marlowe[/name] and it would look good with your surname

[name]Fern[/name] One of my favourite names [name]Fern[/name]

[name]Dinah[/name] Not so fond of this one

boys:

[name]Asher[/name] [name]Love[/name]

[name]Lyle[/name] Hard to say

[name]Wolf[/name] (family name that we love and everyone hates) An interesting name but I would prefer in middle name spot.

If you like the meaning why not go for [name]Rolf[/name], [name]Rolf[/name] Birkienhejmer?

[name]Tobias[/name] prefer [name]Toby[/name]

[name]Niels[/name] Nice
[name]Emil[/name] Nice

[name]Seth[/name] No
[name]Dominic[/name] No
[name]Cole[/name] No

[name]Sven[/name] or [name]Stefan[/name] would be very nice and [name]Alex[/name].

[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh) - I’d say KIE-rah, so I’d spell it [name]Kira[/name] or [name]Keira[/name].
[name]Aren[/name]'t both of those pronounced [name]Keera[/name] as well?

[name]Zora[/name] I find this name just a little strong, I would go with [name]Zara[/name]
I don’t see much difference re: strength.

If you’ve seen enough of my earlier posts, you’ll know (and soon you might be tired of) how much I love [name]Roxanne[/name]. You’ve reminded me of some of its advantages. It’s neither short and punchy or long and flowery, so it works with most last names. -en/-on/-in ending first names have the problem of rhyming with a lot of last names that have the same endings, but [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Anne[/name]-compounds don’t have that problem.

Really, your last name isn’t too hard. It’s not an English word, so you don’t have to worry about making a phrase; it’s uncommon but not associated with a famous person. You can’t really make any first name flow with it, but it’s long enough that it’s hard to get a bad rhythm.

[name]Wolf[/name] is a name I’d be hesitant to use… except if I had a last name as long and obviously [name]German[/name] as yours. In that case, they go together, and the last name still gets most of the attention.

I guess there is something to “too long”, because [name]Dominic[/name] sounds the worst of your choices of either gender. Well, apart from [name]Seth[/name] which always irritates me. I never thought about why, but I think I know now. Yes, it’s a Hebrew name. It also happens to be the Greek spelling of [name]Set[/name], the Egyptian deity who was later regarded as evil.

I think I like [name]Niels[/name] with your last name. When faced with a [name]German[/name], Dutch, Danish or Scandinavian last name, I tend to favor boys’ names from those backgrounds (more than I otherwise do, that is).

[name]Hi[/name] everybody - [name]Hi[/name]!

Our basic naming “issue” is that we find it hard to mix names that we like with the baby’s last name: Birkienhajmer (j pronounced as i). We’re afraid of comming up with a fusty-sounding, pretentious name that on top of everything is very long.

Here are our boy and girl lists, please rate the names and tell us what you think, and also let us know if you think they are ok with the last name or we should look into other name “styles”.

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name] - too much of the same sounds.
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh) - like it a lot.
[name]Zora[/name] - too much going on.
[name]Roxy[/name] - ditto
[name]Willa[/name] - very pretty
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh) - seems unwieldy, but I kind of like it.
[name]Marlo[/name] - no
[name]Fern[/name] - love it as a middle name.
[name]Dinah[/name] - like it

boys:
[name]Asher[/name] - too much. Makes me think of the scissors. Sounds choppy.
[name]Lyle[/name] - [name]Lyle[/name] is kind of dated. But its day will come again.
[name]Wolf[/name] (family name that we love and everyone hates) - I think his surname has enough character. He doesn’t need [name]Wolf[/name] as part of his name, too.
[name]Tobias[/name] - love it, nn [name]Toby[/name]
[name]Niels[/name] - I prefer [name]Noah[/name]
[name]Emil[/name] - sort of like it.
[name]Seth[/name] - like a lot.
[name]Dominic[/name] - a mouthful.
[name]Cole[/name] - love

[name]Myrah[/name]: I like some of your others more…
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh): I love it, but depending on where you live, it may be pronounced as [name]THAY[/name]-uh or thee-uh quite often.
[name]Zora[/name]: I think it’s areally cool!
[name]Roxy[/name]: I like the soud of [name]Roxy[/name] with your last name, but I like some of the other names more.
[name]Willa[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Willa[/name], and also love that it has a clear pronunciation.
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh): I think it’s pretty, but like [name]Thea[/name], I’m guessing it may be mispronounced. I love the names with clear pronunciations with your last name.
[name]Marlo[/name]: I think it’s great with your last name.
[name]Fern[/name]: Because [name]Fern[/name] and the first part of your last name (Ber) rhyme, I like some of the other names more.
[name]Dinah[/name]: I like some of your other names more.

My favorite is [name]Willa[/name]! :slight_smile:

boys:
[name]Asher[/name]: Because its ending sound is the same as you last name’s, I think a first name that doesn’t end in er would sound great!
[name]Lyle[/name]: I think this is really cool! [name]Lyle[/name] feels like a handsome jazz name to me, like [name]Clive[/name] or [name]Miles[/name].
[name]Wolf[/name] (family name that we love and everyone hates): I like some of the others more, but I think that [name]Wolf[/name] would make a cool middle.
[name]Tobias[/name]: I love it, but I love the shorter names more with your last name.
[name]Niels[/name]: I think it’s great!
[name]Emil[/name]: I like some of the other names more.
[name]Seth[/name]: I think it works well with your last name…
[name]Dominic[/name]: I think it’s really handsome, but I love the shorter names more with your last name…
[name]Cole[/name]: I think it works well with your last name.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Hmm, cool last name! I just want to make sure I’m pronouncing it somewhat correctly. Is it like Bir-kine-high-mer? Or something else?

Girls:

[name]Myrah[/name] - I think some of the sounds of the two names are too similar.
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh) - I love [name]Thea[/name] pronounced Thee-ah, and I don’t mind it pronounced [name]Thay[/name]-ah but never [name]Tay[/name]-uh. I think it’s definitely going to run into pronounciation issues. I like [name]Tea[/name] (with the accent over the a - my keyboard hates me so I couldn’t do it) might be better, but you’ll probably run into problems there too. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Thea[/name] like Thee-ah at all? It’s gorgeous!
[name]Zora[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like this, especially with an unusual last name.
[name]Roxy[/name] - Too nickname-y.
[name]Willa[/name] - Pretty.
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh) - I definitely would encourage you to spell it differently. Like [name]Lemon[/name], I would definitely pronounce this KIE-rah. If you want KEE-rah, go with [name]Kiera[/name] and [name]Keira[/name].
[name]Marlo[/name] - [name]Way[/name] too masculine.
[name]Fern[/name] - The Fer and Ber/Bir sounds are too similar, but this is cute.
[name]Dinah[/name] - Not a fan.

I think [name]Thea[/name], [name]Tea[/name] or [name]Willa[/name] would be lovely.

boys:
[name]Asher[/name] - Not with a last name ending in -er too.
[name]Lyle[/name] - So nerdy, maybe in the middle?
[name]Wolf[/name] (family name that we love and everyone hates) - I think this is cool but maybe better in the middle spot.
[name]Tobias[/name] - Not a fan but it sounds okay with your last name even though it’s a little longer.
[name]Niels[/name] - Could work.
[name]Emil[/name] - [name]Emile[/name]? I think this is nice.
[name]Seth[/name] - Not a fan.
[name]Dominic[/name] - Too long.
[name]Cole[/name] - Okay.

[name]Emile[/name] and [name]Niels[/name] would work the best I think with your last name. Good luck choosing!

[name]Hi[/name]–my favorites with your last name:

Girls:
[name]Thea[/name] ([name]TAY[/name]-uh)–I like THEE-uh better
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Kyra[/name] ([name]Keer[/name]-uh)

boys:
[name]Seth[/name]–love
[name]Cole[/name]