A sibling for Sadie and Elsie

We have two daughters, [name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name] (the middle names are strong family names). We are expecting our third baby this week and we don’t know its gender. We like vintage English names (my husband is English) that are well recognised but not overused and not too fussy/high end. Think “friendly nana names”! Obviously looking for a good match with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] but preferably want to avoid another “ie” ending as it seems just too cutesy.

For boys we are in rough agreement on one of:
[name]Fred[/name] (nn [name]Freddy[/name])
[name]Thomas[/name] (nn [name]Tom[/name])
[name]William[/name] (nn [name]Bill[/name]).
Our family middle name will be either [name]John[/name] or [name]Thomas[/name] (but not together obviously!!)

For girls we have less in common. My husband likes:
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Nell[/name] (but I think this is too similar to [name]Elsie[/name] - we could end up with [name]Nell[/name] and [name]El[/name], or [name]Nellie[/name] and [name]Ellie[/name]!)
[name]Molly[/name] (overdone?)

I am toying with lots of names, eg:
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Polly[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]

Our family middle name is likely to be [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Mae[/name] (very standard but these are the family names and they are pretty after all).

I’d be very thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions at all!

[name]Sue[/name]

[name]Edit[/name] - I should have mentioned that the kids’ surname is Woodward (I’ve kept my maiden name).

Further edit - We had a boy who we are calling [name]Freddie[/name]. Still deciding what to put on the birth certificate but likely to be [name]Freddie[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] or [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]. Someone also suggested [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] if we didn’t want to go with [name]Frederick[/name]. It’s a tricky one.

I like [name]Mabel[/name]! and i think all you boy options are great!

what about [name]Annie[/name] [name]Mae[/name]/[name]Rose[/name] would be adorable.

[name]Millie[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Josie[/name]
[name]Halle[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]! From your list, I love [name]Mabel[/name] the most with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name], but think that all of your names are great. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Polly[/name], too, and think it would be adorable with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name], but you said you wanted to avoid the ie ending sound. Hmm…Then again, you may just have wanted to avoid the “ie” letters. If that’s the case, I totally love [name]Polly[/name] with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name]! [name]Polly[/name] feels a lot fresher to me than [name]Molly[/name], and seems more in line to me with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name].

I also love [name]Iris[/name], but it doesn’t feel as warm to me as [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name], and I adore [name]Nell[/name], but I agree that [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Nell[/name] are too similar because of the rhyming [name]El[/name] sounds.

I love [name]Matilda[/name] so much, and even though two nickname names isn’t really a theme, I can still better see another nickname name with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] than I can something longer like [name]Matilda[/name]. [name]Even[/name] so, I think that [name]Matilda[/name] is really cute with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name]. :slight_smile:

Oh! And [name]Violet[/name]! I think it’s a great name, and I can also see it with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name]. (I love the [name]Lettie[/name] nickname.) :slight_smile:

I love your list! :slight_smile:

From your boys’ list, I love [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]William[/name]. (I love [name]Frederick[/name], but [name]Fred[/name] on its own does fit with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name]).

More names that feel “comfy” like [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] to me (no ie endings):

[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name] (kind of close to [name]Sadie[/name]'s sounds, though)
[name]Frances[/name] (nn [name]Frankie[/name] or [name]Franny[/name])
[name]Fern[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Mae[/name] (first name)
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]

More boys’ names you may like:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]/[name]Theo[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]

I really, really love your list of names! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Edit[/name]: I just realized that your last name is [name]Brown[/name], so I think a first name that isn’t one syllable, a color, or a noun, would sound great! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Thomas[/name] and [name]Fred[/name] best from your boys list and [name]Mabel[/name] and [name]Polly[/name] from your girls. I also like [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] but not if your surname is [name]Brown[/name]. Some other ideas:

[name]Fiona[/name] ([name]Fifi[/name])
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Eva[/name]
[name]Maud[/name]/e
[name]Bethany[/name] ([name]Beth[/name])
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Norah[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
Ailey (eye-lee)
[name]Milla[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Doris[/name]/[name]Dora[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]/[name]Gretel[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Claude[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]

[name]Joseph[/name] ([name]Joe[/name])
[name]Douglas[/name]/[name]Dougal[/name] ([name]Doug[/name])
[name]Frank[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]

My choice from your boys would be [name]Fred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] (mayb [name]Fredrick[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]) nn [name]Freddie[/name].

For girls, i do like [name]Nell[/name], but defo see the [name]Nellie[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name] issue and this would really put me off. I do like [name]Matilda[/name], but maybe its a little different from the nickname theme you appear to have going on. Maybe just [name]Mattie[/name] or [name]Tilly[/name] ([name]Tilly[/name] being my choice!)

Here are some nicknames of vintage names:

[name]Betsy[/name]
[name]Florrie[/name]
[name]Bea[/name]
[name]Cassie[/name]
[name]Clemmie[/name]
[name]Minnie[/name]
[name]Mitzi[/name]
[name]Mamie[/name]
[name]Penny[/name]
[name]Polly[/name]
Sassy

Boys:
[name]Harry[/name]
[name]Vinnie[/name]
[name]Claude[/name]
[name]George[/name]

Good luck x

Thanks so much everyone - it’s good to know that we’re on the right track with our names. I love all of your suggestions too - I think my list is going to get longer before it gets shorter! I should have mentioned that the kids’ surname is Woodward (I’ve kept my maiden name). Thanks again.

[name]Sue[/name]

I really like others’ suggestions of [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Pippa[/name], they are cute and spunky like your other girls’ names but don’t have the “ee” ending

Not sure if they’ve been suggested, but [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name] and came to mind

Hey [name]Sue[/name]!!

I like [name]Iris[/name] [name]Mae[/name] Woodward for a girl, I think it just flows (and your husband likes [name]Mabel[/name], so that fits in).

For a boy, I like [name]William[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] Woodward (billy is such a cute nn!). BUT [name]Billy[/name] ends with and “ie” sound.

[name]Sadie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]

[name]Sadie[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] and [name]Billy[/name]

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Sue[/name]!

[name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] are such soft, sweet, feminine names. Great choices!

Of your boy names, in general I like them - though I would prefer [name]Frederick[/name] to [name]Fred[/name] - but it is the nicknames that get me! You are sure you want to use [name]Bill[/name] for [name]William[/name]? I really love [name]Freddie[/name], though, and I think [name]Frederick[/name] [name]John[/name] would be darling ([name]Fred[/name] [name]John[/name] and [name]Fred[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] don’t flow very well in my opinion).

I think the ideal name with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] is [name]Peter[/name], though, with [name]Pete[/name] or [name]Petey[/name] as a nickname. [name]Peter[/name] [name]John[/name] or [name]Peter[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] are both great options! [name]Peter[/name] has the same soft, sweet, yet handsome feel as [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name], which is why it appeals to me so much…

For girls, you have a bunch to think about. As for your husband’s list, I don’t think [name]Mabel[/name] captures the sweet, fun, playful sound of [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name] - it is too vintage for me. [name]Nell[/name] and [name]El[/name] is a bit odd, as you mentioned, so that is probably out, too! Unfortunately, I do think [name]Molly[/name] is a bit, well, popular or dated in comparison to [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name], so I don’t know if I love it. It is my favorite of your husband’s choices, however. As for your list, [name]Sue[/name], I like most of them - but, [name]Violet[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name] feel much more “complete” to me than [name]Sadie[/name] or [name]Elsie[/name], which I don’t know that I like. I understand you don’t necessarily want another nickname-y name (-ie name), but I think a more formal name might seem out of place, honestly. I do like [name]Iris[/name] the best of your choices, though - sweet, calm, and feminine.

I think that soft, feminine names like [name]Anna[/name], [name]Cate[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Georgia[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name] would be nice with [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Elsie[/name]. I know you are shying away from another nickname-y name, but I love the sound of [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Rosie[/name] with your girls’ names, and even a soft floral name, like [name]Posy[/name] or [name]Tansy[/name]!

So, here are my combination suggestions:

BOY
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Peter[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Frederick[/name] [name]John[/name]

GIRL
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Maggie[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Flora[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name] [name]Annette[/name], [name]Elsie[/name] [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Tansy[/name] [name]Rose[/name]

Good luck, and take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile: